New York Bill S6260A - Legalizing Electric Unicycles

mindvirus

Under New York State's laws, Electric Unicycles (and hoverboards, etc.) are considered motor vehicles in NYC. However they cannot be registered, and so there is always the risk of a fine for riding one. In practice, it seems that police don't care, but it would be nice to have them in law.

I found a bill that was introduced to the New York State Senate to both define and legalize these devices. The language is pretty simple, giving a generous definition of an electric unicycle (<20mph top speed, < 27" in height) basically saying that these devices are not motor vehicles:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s6260

I have no idea how long it takes for a bill to make it through the system, but this one was introduced in January. It would be nice to get legislators to act - so if anyone knows what can be done to push this along, it would be good to hear.

The current problem is with the definition of a motor vehicle (with the caveat - I am not a lawyer, just an enthusiast):

Definition of Motor Vehicle

VTL § 125:

Every vehicle operated or driven upon a public highway which is propelled by any power other than muscular power, except

(a) electrically-driven mobility assistance devices operated or driven by a person with a disability,

(a-1) electric personal assistive mobility devices operated outside a city with a population of one million or more

(b) vehicles which run only upon rails or tracks

(c) snowmobiles as defined in article forty-seven of this chapter, and

(d) all terrain vehicles as defined in article forty-eight-B of this chapter.

For the purposes of title four of this chapter, the term motor vehicle shall exclude fire and police vehicles other than ambulances.  For the purposes of titles four and five of this chapter the term motor vehicles shall exclude farm type tractors and all terrain type vehicles used exclusively for agricultural purposes, or for snow plowing, other than for hire, farm equipment, including self-propelled machines used exclusively in growing, harvesting or handling farm produce, and self-propelled caterpillar or crawler-type equipment while being operated on the contract site.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-125.html#sthash.hEBuc7Ob.dpuf

Since NYC has more than 1 million people, only (a) applies - but even outside of NYC, the definition of an Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device doesn't apply to Electric Unicycles (since they have one wheel). And so EUCs are motor vehicles everywhere in the state.

Definition of Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law 114-d

Electric   personal   assistive  mobility  device.  Every self-balancing, two non-tandem wheeled device designed to transport  one person  by means of an electric propulsion system with an average output of not more than seven hundred fifty watts  (one  horsepower), and the  maximum  speed  of which on a paved level surface, when propelled solely by its electric propulsion system while ridden by an  operator  weighing one  hundred  seventy pounds, is less than twelve and one-half miles per hour.

Same as in Central Europe (not France). We fight with thus us she since over a year. Regulations are a challenge. Get the technology to meet the regulations is a nightmare/ mission impossible. 

Germany has currently the same problem not having a matching vehicle category. Here in Switzerland we've the category for registration but not the technology to get it approved to get it registered. Sad but true.

you mean because you have to lean in?

then every electric motor bike is an e bike also, because you have to put energy/ moving into the gas grip :-)

even here in german e-pedaling-bikes are only allowed if they help you-on pedaling-...so clearly defined...

Also e-pedaling-bikes with the concept of running without pedaling ....just using the batterie...are no e-bikes anymore in law!

as long as no real regulation, we are outlaws:-(

The EUC Business can be described with a sentence I found on the Facebook site of Stefan a swedish MSuper rider:

"The process of change is the process of growing"

In the end regulations will be the key to success. And regulations are coming more and more. You can't prevent it. A consultant would tell you: Take it, love it ;)

A free hint to the manufacturers: Move from freak business to mainstream. Listen tpo requirements, work only with Distributors knowing the market and having knowledge on regulations. This will be a future issue to survive.

In Swedish law, the self-balancing vehicles are defined as bikes, given they are limited to 20 km/h. Though, there is no case yet as far I know that has discussed the speed limit, as there cannot really be a strict limit on self-balancers.

Here is the law text defining a bike. I will try to translate the bold-faced parts, which I find most interesting. IANAL, so the translation is not to be taken by the words.

Bike:
3. A power vehicle without pedals meant for persons with disabilities, which is 
a. mainly meant for use by one passenger, 
b. meant to be driven by the passanger
and
c. constructed for a speed limit of 20 km/h.
4. A power vehicle without pedals that fullfills 3 a-c, and either
a. has an electric motor on continous maximum of 250,
or
b. is self-balancing. 

Cykel:
1. Ett fordon som är avsett att drivas
med tramp- eller vevanordning och inte
är ett lekfordon.
2. Ett eldrivet fordon med en tramp-
eller vevanordning om elmotorn
a. endast förstärker kraften från tramp-
eller vevanordningen,
b. inte ger något krafttillskott vid
hastigheter över 25 kilometer i timmen,
och
c. har en kontinuerlig märkeffekt som
inte överstiger 250 watt.
3. Ett eldrivet fordon utan tramp-
eller vevanordning som är avsett för
användning av personer med fysisk
funktionsnedsättning, och är

a. inrättat huvudsakligen för befordran
av en person
b. inrättat för att föras av den åkande,
och

c. konstruerat för en hastighet av
högst 20 kilometer i timmen.

4. Ett eldrivet fordon utan tramp-
eller vevanordning som uppfyller
villkoren i 3 a–c och som antingen

a. har en elmotor vars kontinuerliga
märkeffekt inte överstiger 250 watt,
eller

b. är självbalanserande.

Reference: http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/lag/20010559.HTM

14 minutes ago, Johey said:

In Swedish law, the self-balancing vehicles are defined as bikes, given they are limited to 20 km/h. Though, there is no case yet as far I know that has discussed the speed limit, as there cannot really be a strict limit on self-balancers.

Here is the law text defining a bike. I will try to translate the bold-faced parts, which I find most interesting. IANAL, so the translation is not to be taken by the words.

Bike:
and
or
b. is self-balancing. 

Cykel:
1. Ett fordon som är avsett att drivas
med tramp- eller vevanordning och inte
är ett lekfordon.
2. Ett eldrivet fordon med en tramp-
eller vevanordning om elmotorn
a. endast förstärker kraften från tramp-
eller vevanordningen,
b. inte ger något krafttillskott vid
hastigheter över 25 kilometer i timmen,
och
c. har en kontinuerlig märkeffekt som
inte överstiger 250 watt.
3. Ett eldrivet fordon utan tramp-
eller vevanordning som är avsett för
användning av personer med fysisk
funktionsnedsättning, och är

a. inrättat huvudsakligen för befordran
av en person
b. inrättat för att föras av den åkande,
och

c. konstruerat för en hastighet av
högst 20 kilometer i timmen.

4. Ett eldrivet fordon utan tramp-
eller vevanordning som uppfyller
villkoren i 3 a–c och som antingen

a. har en elmotor vars kontinuerliga
märkeffekt inte överstiger 250 watt,
eller

b. är självbalanserande.

I come to Sweden ;)

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

you mean because you have to lean in?

then every electric motor bike is an e bike also, because you have to put energy/ moving into the gas grip :-)

even here in german e-pedaling-bikes are only allowed if they help you-on pedaling-...so clearly defined...

Also e-pedaling-bikes with the concept of running without pedaling ....just using the batterie...are no e-bikes anymore in law!

as long as no real regulation, we are outlaws:-(

According to italian law an ebike literally "... to move there must be a muscular force applied to the pedals .. " ;) unfortunaly it also says ".. Two or more wheels..." :( 

Here in Italy according to my laywers friends EUC is a legal loophole, I cannot go on road because of no registration, bike lane is ok and on sidewalk max 6kmh, but they have to proof it so unless they radar me ;) and no crowded with pedestrians you can go also 10kmh

I would not underestimate the muscular effort of riding an EUC, on the long ride a biker even a non ebiker will win an endurance  contest with an EUC and not due to battery exaustion, so leaning  it's not just like to pull a gas grip

My personal opinion is that ebike italian laws are  quite ok with EUC, just change them in "... One or more wheels..." :) 

Yes euc rules apply same as for a bicycle in Sweden , it means 25 kmh  ;)     , but who cares , you can for example go with a full size car on the main highly trafficated road almost without driving licence (moped licence) only 15 years old it's called EPA traktor , max 30 kmh  , they rebuild the gearbox and can go more then twice as fast , comparing euc with epa traktors in traffic is like comparing mosquitos with elephants

EPA traktor

dfjyrj.jpg

retyjrj.jpg

18 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

Going on a highly traffic road in Italy with an EUC :o  , there are less painful ways to performing a suicide ;) 

Hhaha  B)       I wan't a classic small Italian car , it would be nice to go with here in the north  :)

serthrt.jpg

4 hours ago, Johey said:

Bike:
and
or
b. is self-balancing. 

More or less  the same as in Norway. It is however not a bike, but as a "motor-redskap" (=motor gear), same as buldozers, excavators, steamrollers, harvesters etc :lol:. And you have to be at least 16 years old to drive one (and may actually be fined and loose your drivers licence if you lend your wheel to someone not old enough, for example your children, even in your own private garden). It cannot legally be driven on roads with higher than 60 kph speed limit. Blood alchohol limit is as for driving a car: 0.2 per mil (everywhere, even inside your house). It is not allowed to drive on _roads_ with prohibition of motor vehicles (you can however drive on sidewalks and pedestrian zones (walking speed), bike paths, buss lanes etc). Lights must be on all the time when driving and they must be permanently mounted on vehicle (no removable bike lights, head lamps etc), white forward, red backwards. Red reflector behind, white in front, yellow or white on the sides. There must be a horn or bicycle bell. It doesn't say where, so I keep it in my hand :) (which is the only sensible). So I am street legal :D

3 hours ago, Frode said:

More or less  the same as in Norway. ...

To me it sounds quite different. Here you can legally ride it drunk,without lights, on any road except highways. No age limit except for the alcohol. :) You need to have a bell/horn though, so there we're playing the same game. I'm still riding illegally yet to find a solution for the bell.

2 hours ago, Johey said:

To me it sounds quite different. Here you can legally ride it drunk,without lights, on any road except highways. No age limit except for the alcohol. :) You need to have a bell/horn though, so there we're playing the same game. I'm still riding illegally yet to find a solution for the bell.

What I said was referring to the part I copied from your post :)

48 minutes ago, Johey said:

Great! Different models for 14, 16 and 18 inch wheels!

Hahaha :D

8 minutes ago, Frode said:

I also have "invested" in this ~5 cm mirror (which should be an easy DIY as well, probably with better result). It hangs on a string that can be pulled out, so I hang it in my belt: http://www.alfafritid.no/produkt/fritidsutstyr/kjekt-a-ha/chums-sladrespeil

cool

On 8/15/2016 at 8:20 PM, Frode said:

I also have "invested" in this ~5 cm mirror (which should be an easy DIY as well, probably with better result). It hangs on a string that can be pulled out, so I hang it in my belt: http://www.alfafritid.no/produkt/fritidsutstyr/kjekt-a-ha/chums-sladrespeil

Sorry but about cool iItalian style + 120db electronic bell :) , yellow reflection Wrap to signal turning wheel incoming 

Archived