Orb Wheel X2

Gormash

Hello everyone. First time poster here, though I've read through the forums for about a week now.

A few weeks ago I got my very first EUC for birthday. I was really happy with it, and it's proven to be really fun to use, though a bit hard to get familiar with. I've not had much time to practice, but today was the first time I felt confident enough to use it for commuting to work. I'm still a little wobbly and unsteady, but I'm getting better. ^_^

The reason I post here is because I want to know a little more about the brand I have, but can find very little info. I suspect it is a really cheap china-copy of a known brand, but I just don't know if that's true or not. The only info I've been able to find are the following:

3643976.jpg

Max load: 120 kg
Max speed: 18 km/h
Wheel diameter: 14 inches
Dimensions (WxHxD): 190 x 450 x 380 mm
Weight: 11 kg
Battery type: Li-Ion 350W
Charging time 120 min
Range: 10 km

I feel like the battery drains really fast. My job is 10 minutes fast walk away and driving the wheel to work and back again drained it from full to almost half charge.
Anyone else out here that can tell me more about this wheel?

PS: I'm seriously considering buying an Inmotion V5F+. If/when they become available in Norway, that is.

8 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Hello everyone. First time poster here, though I've read through the forums for about a week now.

A few weeks ago I got my very first EUC for birthday. I was really happy with it, and it's proven to be really fun to use, though a bit hard to get familiar with. I've not had much time to practice, but today was the first time I felt confident enough to use it for commuting to work. I'm still a little wobbly and unsteady, but I'm getting better. ^_^

The reason I post here is because I want to know a little more about the brand I have, but can find very little info. I suspect it is a really cheap china-copy of a known brand, but I just don't know if that's true or not. The only info I've been able to find are the following:

3643976.jpg

Max load: 120 kg
Max speed: 18 km/h
Wheel diameter: 14 inches
Dimensions (WxHxD): 190 x 450 x 380 mm
Weight: 11 kg
Battery type: Li-Ion 350W
Charging time 120 min
Range: 10 km

I feel like the battery drains really fast. My job is 10 minutes fast walk away and driving the wheel to work and back again drained it from full to almost half charge.
Anyone else out here that can tell me more about this wheel?

PS: I'm seriously considering buying an Inmotion V5F+. If/when they become available in Norway, that is.

I think your motor har 350 W and your battery 130/ 170 Wh? I would say it's around 170 Wh or you're a very light person

Distance with moderate speed: Wh * 0.8 * 0.08 = km you can reach

Edited by OliverH
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OliverH said:

I think your motor har 350 W and your battery 130/ 170 Wh? I would say it's around 170 Wh or you're a very light person

Distance with moderate speed: Wh * 0.8 * 0.08 = km you can reach

Doing the math I en up with 10 plus some change, so you're probably right.
Sounds a little small? I'm guessing this is a really low-end battery, right?

53 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Doing the math I en up with 10 plus some change, so you're probably right.
Sounds a little small? I'm guessing this is a really low-end battery, right?

I think so. I'm using 680 Wh and waiting for the parcel from 1RadWerkstatt with the additional 207 Wh battery ;)

But I'm heavy weight and used to take longer tours (40 km with slopes/ inclines). It depends what you need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.8.2016 at 2:57 PM, HEC said:

Yes - this wheel sold by Teknik Magasinet in Nordics is a rebranded J KIng "generic" cheap EUC. 350W is motor power, battery is very weak at 132 Wh. It's a good starter wheel with 2 years warranty from TM but indeed you'll be looking soon to get some more advance wheel. V5F+ is an excellent choice and @Jason McNeil with his online shop at https://www.wheelgo.com/product/inmotion-v5f/ should be able to ship it to Norway as well.

Thank you. Just got a mail today that confirm they can ship here.  :)

As for my current wheel, I suspect there might be some problems with the battery.
As I mentioned above I feel that the battery drains really quickly. I took it for a spin today, driving to a nearby gas station to buy some bread, and back again. It was fully charged when I started out, and well below 25% when I got home again. I checked the route I had taken on google maps, and it was 1,6 km one way, 3,2 km in total. And I was about two thirds on the back-trip when the battery indicator changed to only one light (25%).

This feels really low, considering it's supposed to have aprox 10 km range.
I know terrain, weight and incline can have an impact. I weigh about 84 kg, well below the max weight of 120 kg this wheel can take. The road I took was fairly smooth asphalt all the way, with one long but slight incline (about 1-2 degrees) for about 400 m of the stretch.

Oh, and here's me not entirely fumbling at riding...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/pW1nCksbfhk

Edited by Gormash

9 minutes ago, Gormash said:

As for my current wheel, I suspect there might be some problems with the battery.
As I mentioned above I feel that the battery drains really quickly. I took it for a spin today, driving to a nearby gas station to buy some bread, and back again. It was fully charged when I started out, and well below 25% when I got home again. I checked the route I had taken on google maps, and it was 1,6 km one way, 3,2 km in total. And I was about two thirds on the back-trip when the battery indicator changed to only one light (25%).

This feels really low, considering it's supposed to have aprox 10 km range.
I know terrain, weight and incline can have an impact. I weigh about 84 kg, well below the max weight of 120 kg this wheel can take. The road I took was fairly smooth asphalt all the way, with one long but slight incline (about 1-2 degrees) for about 400 m of the stretch.

6 Km range sounds about right with your weight. It has really "weak" basic battery pack and the specs quoted by manufacturers are way "optimistic" for larger western riders as it's usually tested with much smaller and lighter eastern drivers at best conditions - so about 50 Kg, slower speeds with minimum accelerations and breakings on the flat surface.

1 hour ago, Gormash said:

Except that I got about 3 km, not 6.  :-/

Well 3.2 so you'd probably make it over 4 Km. As @Keith mentioned leaving the charger plugged in another 2 hours after light turns green will balance the cells and might increase the range a little bit. Basically the half of the "listed" range is what you're about to get in real for most of the wheels. 4 to maximum 6 km range is what most people can get out of those really basic cheap wheels with the smallest battery packs.

• Upvote 2

I have a no-name generic, and it will only take me 6 kms maximum with my 167 pound weight.  Maximum speed before tiltback was about 12 kph.  I tried to order a spare battery from AliExpress for about $100, but it ended up not being able to be shipped to Canada unfortunately.  

In hindsight it's probably not worthwhile trying to upgrade these starter wheels as you yearn for something faster and better in a very short while.  There's limited space inside so adding a battery pack in parallel can be tricky, and swapping packs out you need to devise a panel that can be opened easily.  I would say enjoy the Orb for what is it, but plan to put the money into a better wheel for the long run!

• Upvote 2

I second @HunkaHunkaBurningLove, my Ninebot just broke, and I'm using my generic while I get it sorted out. It's a HUGE difference. I feel I went from driving a new BMW back to a 1975 Datsun.

The generic is on its 2nd battery, the first one died after two months. And I'm lucky if I get 5-6 kms out of it. Even if I could get a bigger battery, the pedals aren't comfortable, and it feels like the motor is going to cave under my weight (80kgs).

So, yeah. I agree getting the InMotion like you're planning is the better choice, you'll feel a big difference :-)

Edited by noisycarlos
  • Upvote 3

@Philip W did do an interesting backpack battery mod to get some more range.  I guess it depends on how much you want to fiddle around with and adapting what you have to work with.  In my case I wanted more speed and a little more range so the Ninebot One E+ fit the bill perfectly when it was on sale for $450 USD from Forward California.

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

I've bought a Ninebot One E+, but due to some weird noises I've decided to let it rest over the weekend until I can get a hold of the support staff where I purchased it.

So, when I had to do some light shopping I turned to my Orb X2 and set out. And I've noticed that I've become a lot more confident using it. How? Because I've regularly heard a single beep, warning me that I was closing up on the top speed, despite me not feeling like I'm going fast at all.

But, on the way home again I heard a different warning sign, one that I've not heard before: Three rapid beeps.

I don't know what that mean and rode much slower, occasionally hearing the same warning when I unconsciously started to accelerate (when above jogging pace).

One home I looked through the so-called user manual, and could find no indication what three beeps mean.

I'm guessing it mean the engine is about to overheat, but I don't KNOW, and that bothers me. Googling had yielded no wisdom on the subject either.

On the more positive side, I've passed several kids along the way visibly impressed by the wheel, despite its crapness. Feels great to hear "Whoooa! Awesome!" ^_^

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I have been given one of these generic wheels, but the charger cannot be found. and im not sure where i can find a suitable replacement. i'm guessing it may have originally been purchased at Teknik Magazinet. bit they couldnt remember. it was used as a prop on a kids show, and things have been moved about over the years and the chargers for the 2 wheels vanished. the second wheel was was thrown into the sea as part of a scene, and no longer works. i have the working one and salvaged the parts off the sacrificial one.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Your wheel is most likely a generic Airwheel X3 clone. The charger must be a generic 67V charger.

I would advise you strongly not to take any chance with it. The battery are probably too old and you run a risk of fire.

I practice crazy tricks with a one of those, but I must say the risks are VERY high  and that you will most likely seriously hurt yourself.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

thanks for the advice :) , the battery in it has charge still, 3 lights. if i cant find the charger for it, i'll just salvage the motor and stuff like the other one, and try build a simple scooter (using a safer battery pack).

• Like 1