Gotway 18 inch Msuper (GW18) Review (2014-12-31)

John Eucist

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can afford it the Gotway 18" is the way to go especially as you said you want to go off road. The bigger the wheel the better when going over rough terrain.

I'm not really interested in the high speeds that's why I'm getting the high torque version so that I know it can take me up all the hills around here and will always have excess power in reserve. From what I've read very few people have been using speeds over 30kph apart from the odd reckless test.

I was basically decided on a big wheel but have been reading the comments about 'over lean' issues with them. I don't know what that means though. You can't lean as far forward so can't accelerate as much?

I live in Birmingham so my offroading will mainly be cutting across parks.

Would love a Rockwheel but can't see any way of getting it to this country without ridiculous import charges so am split between the Gotway, Ironbot & Airwheel X8 at the moment.

Being able to jump it up kerbs is a must though so hope I can manage that with a big wheel.

Can someone tell something about the range of Gotway 18 inch because I will decide tomorrow between 680Wh and 850Wh.  The producer kebye.com says about 35 km for 680Wh.  But my airwheel had also to have 25km but it did 6km with 132Wh.  So I do not believe the specifications of the producer. I need real measurements about the range.

And the beeps at 23km/h and 25km/h, are they beeping at the same speeds for the three versions of Gotway 18 inch?  On the site of kebye.com they only speak about the middle version.   I want to buy the middle version: so does it mean that it beeps 2 times per second above 25km/h till 34km/h and at 34km/h suddenly he will shut down then.  I think for 40km/h version, the beep at  23km/h is early.  For the 28km/h version, beeping at 23km/h is at the right time.

And the beeps at 23km/h and 25km/h, are they beeping at the same speeds for the three versions of Gotway 18 inch? On the site of kebye.com they only speak about the middle version. I want to buy the middle version: so does it mean that it beeps 2 times per second above 25km/h till 34km/h and at 34km/h suddenly he will shut down then. I think for 40km/h version, the beep at 23km/h is early. For the 28km/h version, beeping at 23km/h is at the right time.

I think every version has the beeps at the same speed but some sellers are offering to change when they happen before shipping.

Can someone tell something about the range of Gotway 18 inch because I will decide tomorrow between 680Wh and 850Wh. The producer kebye.com says about 35 km for 680Wh. But my airwheel had also to have 25km but it did 6km with 132Wh. So I do not believe the specifications of the producer. I need real measurements about the range.

I can not speak for the gotway 18 . but I have a gotway 14 340wh version. Longest I've used it in one day was 19km (GPS measured). The gotway app listed 40% battery remaining after. I weigh 83 kilograms. Distance was mostly flat with a few small hills

• 2 months later...

So my 18 inch gotway (medium speed, 850wh battery) finally came. I took it for a long ride yesterday. All asphalt, a few long hills but not very steep, and I "only" managed to get just over 50 km. I weigh almost as little as our Chinese friends who test these things. I understand the surface wasn't flat but half the advertised distance? 

What are your experiences with the m18 advertised range vs rideable range?

My range on all my eucs is fairly poor, but I am in a particularly bad position of being near the top of a very big hill so every journey I make has to end in a long climb.

It also doesn't help that I am a little over 90Kg before I add clothes. This is why I've given up publishing my range testing as it is only really applicable to my situation.

I do however recommend that if at all possible buy the biggest battery version that is available in any euc. My reasoning is simple, riding a euc on a low battery is not much fun and even the best eucs behave more like the cheap ones when low on charge. In an ideal situation you would only be using the top half of the available power and never be squeezing the last dregs out of your euc. 

This also happens to be much better for the batteries and they will last a lot longer if never run low on juice.

All asphalt, a few long hills but not very steep, and I "only" managed to get just over 50 km. I weigh almost as little as our Chinese friends who test these things.

Was it all out of juice or just becoming less powerful? I'm lightweight too, and I've noticed on my wheels that the power output starts to drop more noticeably after the charge is down to maybe 20%.​ Probably more noticiable even at higher remaining capacity for heavier riders.

It also doesn't help that I am a little over 90Kg before I add clothes. This is why I've given up publishing my range testing as it is only really applicable to my situation.

I think you should still publish your range tests, just mention your weight and the conditions it was driven in? Although the range won't be applicable to all riders and conditions, at least it'll give them a ball park figure to go by, instead of just relying on the exaggarated claims by the manufacturers.

Hallo.

Hello everyone. I can not decide between Gotway 18 type 1 and type 2, and I ask for help. I'm no expert on wheels.
1 I do not understand if the speed of the type 1 is usable or is dangerous.
The type 2 brakes better?
I'd use for long trips on straight roads and for some off-road ..i'm 85 kg
The range is the same?

Thank you for your help...

Well I did not notice much of a power drop. I think it happens so gradually over such a long journey that you don't really notice. What I did notice, and this is to be expected with any wheel, that the alarm (I have deactivated all but the last which comes at GPS measured 27 kmh and 28 in the Gotway app) sounds much earlier if for example you go over a sharp bump, suddenly uphill or something else that requires a burst of power. That is most likely down to the voltage drop under load with a near empty battery.

On a side-note: My Firewheel F528 has a display that never worked. I rode it for 36 km once, until it simply switched off very suddenly due to the battery being completely dead. It seemed to deliver full power up until the last sip of battery juice. Of course doing this is bad for the battery, but I just thought it was interesting to mention that the power was there all the time. 

Was it all out of juice or just becoming less powerful? I'm lightweight too, and I've noticed on my wheels that the power output starts to drop more noticeably after the charge is down to maybe 20%.​ Probably more noticiable even at higher remaining capacity for heavier riders

Hallo.

Hello everyone. I can not decide between Gotway 18 type 1 and type 2, and I ask for help. I'm no expert on wheels.
1 I do not understand if the speed of the type 1 is usable or is dangerous.
The type 2 brakes better?
I'd use for long trips on straight roads and for some off-road ..i'm 85 kg
The range is the same?

Thank you for your help...

I would go for the middle speed version a second time if I had to choose again. The reason being: it goes reasonably fast (28 kmh before it beeps) and I doubt you could run that off if it suddenly caught you off guard and switched off. Anything faster is probably even more fun but only with wearing heavy protective gear. I want to go out with just my helmet, and find it hard to justify taking even a greater risk than a crash at close to 30 kmh​

Well I did not notice much of a power drop. I think it happens so gradually over such a long journey that you don't really notice. What I did notice, and this is to be expected with any wheel, that the alarm (I have deactivated all but the last which comes at GPS measured 27 kmh and 28 in the Gotway app) sounds much earlier if for example you go over a sharp bump, suddenly uphill or something else that requires a burst of power. That is most likely down to the voltage drop under load with a near empty battery.

On a side-note: My Firewheel F528 has a display that never worked. I rode it for 36 km once, until it simply switched off very suddenly due to the battery being completely dead. It seemed to deliver full power up until the last sip of battery juice. Of course doing this is bad for the battery, but I just thought it was interesting to mention that the power was there all the time. 

​36 km! I'd think it would do little bit more then that.

Archived