Gotway 18 inch Msuper (GW18) Review (2014-12-31)

John Eucist

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did not notice much of a power drop. I think it happens so gradually over such a long journey that you don't really notice. What I did notice, and this is to be expected with any wheel, that the alarm (I have deactivated all but the last which comes at GPS measured 27 kmh and 28 in the Gotway app) sounds much earlier if for example you go over a sharp bump, suddenly uphill or something else that requires a burst of power. That is most likely down to the voltage drop under load with a near empty battery.

On a side-note: My Firewheel F528 has a display that never worked. I rode it for 36 km once, until it simply switched off very suddenly due to the battery being completely dead. It seemed to deliver full power up until the last sip of battery juice. Of course doing this is bad for the battery, but I just thought it was interesting to mention that the power was there all the time. 

​Yeah, you don't really notice it like it would happen all of the sudden, but it does become more noticeable once the battery is more out of juice. On my 14", where you really feel it is fast braking (the kind of where you push the wheel in front of you with your legs), the braking is much less effective than with fuller battery (at the first times I noticed this, I wasn't ready for it, and nearly pushed the wheel from under me :D). Happens with the Firewheel also, but less noticeable even at lower battery. Also hill climbing is affected (or pretty much everything that needs more torque, as I've understood that the torque drops on lower voltage <-> lower battery). Doesn't seem to affect acceleration that much (on Firewheel).

• 1 month later...

Hi guys i just got my gotway 18 also. 680wh version. Not sure its HS or MS.

One little anoying thing i realized is that when gotway is moving it generate this high pitch sound like a cricket in the forest. 

If you see on youtube all the gotway 18 has this high pitch cricket sound when moving. Its not the rims screeching or what not. Is d gyro in action that causes the screech i think. Right i got a faulty version but it seems not. 

The cricket sound really annoys me..  LOL. 

Try lifting it while it's on and let the tyre run and probably u can hear the screeching cricket... 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know were you are but Yorkshire aiwheels are selling the msuper LS HT . They are very responsive and the Delivery was very fast . I am 95kg so this version is perfect for me . I do not know if it is fast enough for you but i can say that is faster than the IPS 121 which is a wonderful wheel aswell .

I kind of like the noise , it do not bother me at all and help to gently allert people when i am aproaching behind  them without being disturbinly noise. 

I also like it to vote.

And by the way .. I have very sensitive hearing. Always hearing the experimenter wondered, how can I hear the highs and lows.

(I am a former High End enthusiast.)

To be honest vee73 I'm surprised you can hear anything inside that helmet you wear! :)

Once it gets to the 4 beep stage it is telling you that you are using too much of the available power and if you don't slow down you will sail through the air spectacularly on the very next bump or ripple in the surface that you cross. The power required to keep you upright when the surface upsets your balance is huge and anyone who rides at 4 beeps for more than a moment without pulling back is really asking for all he gets. So unless you are just investigating the limits and are ready and dressed for a high speed pile up then take notice of the beeps or get taken out of the gene pool. :)

I think @@vee73 has tested his Gotway 18" all the way to top speed until it shuts down, but don't know if he ever checked how long it the beeps ;)  And I think he uses the app with cell phone vibration nowadays instead of the beeps..?

Yeah, I do not use beeps. I only use the app on my phone. It is much more accurate to monitor the maximum speed. Beeps is silly to calculate continuously the mind.
But must pay attention that the battery capacity is half-way between, the performance drops significantly when running uphill fast speed and the widget will stall even if the maximum speed would not be very close.

No one can say because it is not an exact number. The 4 beeps tell you it's near the limit of its power, if nothing extra asks for more power in theory it could carry on until the battery power gives out. Unfortunately the motive power is only a small part of what is required in order to keep you standing upright and the slightest dip, piece of gravel or even a puff of wind could be the final straw that breaks the camels back.

So you see there's no predicting the actual point of failure and the only sensible thing to do is pull back immediately you hear the 4 beeps. That or dress up like vee73. :)

Archived