Gotway 18 inch Msuper (GW18) Review (2014-12-31)

John Eucist

Two days ago I received my two Gotway Msupers from the local courier.

JcUQXzg.jpg

As you may know there are three “types” for this model:

[High Speed Type] Climb Angle 27 degrees , Top Speed 40km/h
[Middle Type] Climb Angle 33 degrees , Top Speed 34km/h
[High Torque Type] Climb Angle 39 degrees , Top Speed 28km/h

I got one “High Speed Type” and one “Middle Type”.  Both of them are 680wh (850wh version is optional).
While the manufacturer listed the weight for the 680wh version as 15kg mine measured 17.4kg on a scale.  That is pretty heavy and almost doubles the weight of a Rockwheel GR12.  Hence a trolley handle is absolutely necessary for this EU (electric unicycle).  Unfortunately, at this time, there are no traditional EU trolley handles for this length.  Even if there were, due to the pedal edges being not in line with the main upper casing, it wouldn’t work unless you get a very long screw with a lot of washers to extend the pedal edge to line up with the main upper casing.  For now I found a temporary solution by using an “Airwheel Mars Rover Pull Rod”.

EyPhkkj.jpg

OwCJ0tH.jpg

From my previous experience with multiple Gotway 14 inch MCMs I noticed that the EU often feels a little bit “unstable” in terms of staying level.  By that I mean when riding straight it feels horizontally balanced but when I slow down into a turn I feel like the EU is dipping forward.  One of my GW18s had this issue just like I did with previous GW14s but they were quickly resolved by doing a horizontal alignment calibration using the Gotway android app.

Taking it out for spin:

I did not notice any difference in "feel" between the two "types" from my limited testing (including climbing 25 degree slopes).  They both feel the same to me despite, in theory, they should have different acceleration power.  I can definitely say that they are both the most stable and smoothest EUs out on the market at this time for travelling at speeds above 20 km/h. That said, I have to say that the first two stages of warning alarms that were programmed to come in at 23 km/h and 25 km/h (according to the Gotway android app) are absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary when they are rated to go 40 km/h (and 33 km/h for the “middle type”).   To make matters worse, the Gotway app inflates the speed by about 3 km/h around these speeds when compared to a GPS speedometer app.  This definitely needs to be addressed in a firmware update in the near future.  My friend Kevin Lee had custom modded his GW14 with a knob that controls the alarm beep volume.  This mod seems like a must until there is an official solution.  Kevin's video is posted in the first comment below (because for some reason I can't embed more than two YouTube videos in one post).

Another minor problem is the tire air pump valve.  It is very difficult to access and use with a pump unless you have a valve extension tube.

PM3oiOh.jpg

Despite the minor shortcomings that I have discovered so far, the Gotway Msuper is overall a "game changer" wheel especially for high speed long distance commutes over imperfect terrain.  You can even CLIMB stairs with it.  (Video of this in the comments below)  Nothing else comes close at this time.  Although I'm one of the first few in the world to get the GW18s, and while I am an enthusiast and proponent for higher speed electric unicycles, I do not wish to be the first guinea pig testing these upper limits (I have gone 28 km/h with them "only").  :D  This is a task best left for my friends Austin Marhold and Mathias Mestermann whom I’m sure will be very happy to be the first to hit the top speeds for these wheels and give a review on these upper limits aspects.  It shouldn't be long!  :D

And finally, a size comparison between the Gotway 18, 14, and 10 inch.

m14qDO4.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Lee's Gotway 14 inch MCM audio alarm volume knob mod

Posted with Kevin's permission. His original description is below:
Volume Control Mod on my GotWay 14" v2. No more embarrassing moments while turning it on at quiet places.
A 100k potentiometer was used for this mod.
I have to thank Edmond Kwok for this suggestion, for which he is on his way to mod his wheels too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I don't get enough chance to ride ANY of my wheels.  Unlike some people that can use it for commute, I have to drive to a place to ride it specifically to ride it for fun.  My "most used" wheel is probably my 10 inch Gotway since I can ride it inside my apartment.  LOL.

inside my apartment.  LOL.

haha, thats good!

So you did not take the wheel for your store and testdrive trip in Shenzen yesterday?

I saw the videos.....the one with the direction changing lights and the build in handle was a good option. I liked it so far.

Gotway.fr are selling the Middle type for 1,000€ delivered which I think converts to about 7,394 RMB.

I am very temped myself although I was really after the High torque type to get my 95Kg up all the hills around my area, still 33 degrees is better than most if it's accurate.

Gotway.fr are selling the Middle type for 1,000€ delivered which I think converts to about 7,394 RMB.

I am very temped myself although I was really after the High torque type to get my 95Kg up all the hills around my area, still 33 degrees is better than most if it's accurate.

GotWay.fr must be a fake or something. However it is 100% not a offical distributor of GotWay from China!

The Homepage is also not really "clean" and the company who registered this domain is something!

Phonenumber for diffrent Stores the same etc......no thank you.

Be aware to order there without pick the stuff up and pay cash.

and by the way: Usually you can NOT buy a EU cheaper then on Shenzen streets in Europe.....so whats wrong here?

Well I took the plunge before I read this advice. But having done numerous searches and found three people who have bought with no problems and non that have actually been let down I thought it was worth the gamble.

After all it is a new concept so any Web site is bound to be new. I'm all for supporting new start up businesses whether they be local or elsewhere. PayPal should give me a little protection and the credit card rules a little more.

My research on the oft quoted Duncan, suggests that he is a reseller as well and has no actual direct connection with the production factory.

There is quite a lot on various French forums on the subject, so much that I can't quite make up my mind. I'll let you know how the purchase turns out.

Well I took the plunge before I read this advice. But having done numerous searches and found three people who have bought with no problems and non that have actually been let down I thought it was worth the gamble.

After all it is a new concept so any Web site is bound to be new. I'm all for supporting new start up businesses whether they be local or elsewhere. PayPal should give me a little protection and the credit card rules a little more.

My research on the oft quoted Duncan, suggests that he is a reseller as well and has no actual direct connection with the production factory.

There is quite a lot on various French forums on the subject, so much that I can't quite make up my mind. I'll let you know how the purchase turns out.

Good to hear, so maybe it is not a fake and you get a wheel for your money!

Sorry that I wrote; it is better be very carefully there.

But I checked with GotWay and they told me that they do not have a offical reseller in France (but at there page they write the opposite)

For a 1000 Euro the Super18 is cheaper then in China! (If you buy it for 7800RMB plus shipping and importtaxes!)

Bad for me I can not read french, so I do not know what they write about this company....

My French is fairly basic, just enough to get an idea of what is being said, if it's relevant I use Google translate to get more detail. Not brilliant translations but good enough to just about make sense of it! :rolleyes:

The normal case with internet forums etc. is that you tend to get a lot more bad reviews and people with things that have gone wrong than you do good ones.  People don't tend to go to internet forums to find answers to problems if they don't have any! :)

After I got my EYU directly from China and was lucky enough to escape without any duties, I decided to get an IPS 111, I looked at importing but the price with shipping and duties was greater than Wheelgo were selling for complete with a warranty, and that was before their very generous Christmas offer which temped me into getting a second IPS. B)

Gotway.fr is absolutely NOT official. This has been confirmed AGAIN by the brand!

Being a professional OR simple customer

If you want to buy a Gotway in France or Switzerland you have to pass through WheelzWorld:

Website will be online soon. We don't put a website showing we have stock when we don't.

We don't show fake info, incoherent prices, we officially take care of warranty in the country & we are the true company representing Gotway, not some fake distributor trying to take advantage of the brand.

If you need confirmation you can contact Gotway through their website : www.kebye.com

Gotway.fr will soon face legal actions if they don't play by the rules.

If you want to buy a Gotway in France or Switzerland you have to pass through WheelzWorld:

Is this now a advertisement without any price?

Getting prices per eMail is not the standard of technic today. It always looks like hidden prices too and most the time expensive compare to others.

To have some prices here for GotWay wheels for Europe/Switzerland whould be great!

What is the price of a GotWay Super 18 in CHF?

Usually i order my wheels in Shenzen so far.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I said I would report back on Gotway.fr and I am just starting the process of trying to get my money back via PayPal.

Despite answering all my queries promptly via email prior to the purchase once they had my money they just stopped responding to me. I've tried email and their Web contact form and all I've had in return is the automated Web contact email saying they have received it and will deal with it shortly.

Even if I do get my money back via PayPal I'm going to lose out due to the euro exchange rate going against me since the purchase.

So much for being safer to buy in Europe than China!

Well I said I would report back on Gotway.fr and I am just starting the process of trying to get my money back via PayPal.

Despite answering all my queries promptly via email prior to the purchase once they had my money they just stopped responding to me. I've tried email and their Web contact form and all I've had in return is the automated Web contact email saying they have received it and will deal with it shortly.

Even if I do get my money back via PayPal I'm going to lose out due to the euro exchange rate going against me since the purchase.

So much for being safer to buy in Europe than China!

Well you can't even be sure he is in Europe just because the website is hosted in Europe.  What country are you in?

I'm in the UK and since posting here and on Facebook, plus starting a claim in PayPal David Grim has answered my email.

He blames the Chinese new year and says he was away until recently.

He tells me my order is on its way and should reach me in about 7 days.

I'll keep you posted.

Just do not stop the PayPal process for your money back and make shure you do all in the time window they give!

One day to late and your PayPal buyer protection is gone!

"So much for being safer to buy in Europe than China!"

How did you expect a safer buying then in China?

Save is the way you know that other ones (more then one etc.) you know and can be sure some how they get what they ordered!

Like Aliexpress if the seller has a 100% Pos feedback (also for e-wheels), Banggood, eBay with pos sellers, forum with a member you can trust, but this gotway.fr is:

- Not official and not from gotway and even gotway does'nt know him

- A cheap created and not up to date page

- No own pictures (execpt a pic of a store what is looking like a empty building)

- Same phone number for 2 different locations

- A domain holder has nothing to do with the seller at the page

This are 5 (five) points! Minus points.

Even one, is one more then it should!

I hope you get your GW18 or your money and just do not think about exchange looses!

Chinese new year starts now and not 4 weeks ago.

How did you expect a safer buying then in China?

Safer as in Europe you are supposed to be protected by the "Distance Selling Regulations" and also there is a little extra safety in using PayPal though I don't actually rate their claims process very highly.  It takes a great deal of faith to send large amounts of money to China in the hope that you will get what you paid for, especially as there is no mechanism to claim any money back or take action against the seller.

Also I was very lucky with my first cheap wheel that came directly from EYU.CO via Dealextreme as it never had any duties or VAT added when it came into the country, but even if they had it would have been a relatively small amount on the total price of £230.  Import duty plus 20% VAT added to the price of a Gotway M18" would make a much bigger difference.

I have until 06/03/15 to escalate the PayPal claim and I don't intend to end it until I get my wheel.

Import duty plus 20% VAT added to the price of a Gotway M18" would make a much bigger difference.

This is the point.

Even France has sale taxes (20%) and how get a EU cheaper in france then from china direct?

If you order from France you do not have to pay the UK taxes, but the Frances taxes you have to pay.

So how this guy can sell you a EU cheaper then you can get it?

Never trust something it is to good to be true!

As a general rule in todays retail environment most items get huge amounts of mark up on the wholesale price, average in retail is about 50% added although for some weird reason retailers would call 50% added to purchase price a "Mark up" of 33%, I suppose it doesn't make them look quite so greedy!

So if someone thinks that they can sell a larger number of anything by cutting their margin and selling at just a little over their cost price they are able to discount a huge amount.

There is nearly always room for significant discount on advertised retail prices.

Archived