My unicycle won't charge anymore.

Mexiah

I bought an off-brand electric unicycle back in December and until a few weeks ago it worked perfectly. But then I went out of town and forgot my charger so it was out of juice for a couple of days and when I returned to plug in my charger, the light on the charger immediately turned green. Even though the wheel itself only lights one of four LEDs.

The wheel still has a little power on it, so I know that it works - i rode it around my parking lot until the low battery indicator began to beep - it just won't charge.

I then assumed the charger had stopped working so I bought a new one off eBay, but that displays the exact same problem. As soon as I plug it in, the light turns green as if the battery was already full. It's infuriating because I think it's a minor fix but I have no idea where to begin.

I study electrical engineering but I'm only on my first semester so I have no practical knowledge, but I do know most terms and have access to advanced measurement equipment. 

I would appreciate any help on the matter - even just a procedure on how and what to test so I know what to replace. I talked to the supplier who is willing to send me replacements for any malfunctioning parts, I just need to know what that is - or how to find that out. And I figured this would be the place to ask for help :-)

Best regards, Kristian.

I know next to nothing about electronics, but had a same kind of situation (wheel powers on, charger shows just green light and won't start charging). It turned out that simply a wire had become unattached under the heat shrink tube (or whatever it's called) around the pins on the charging port inside the wheel battery compartment:

Don't know if it's that simple in your case...

Problem has been resolved now and my wheel runs like a dream once more. It turns out that I simply didn't investigate the malfunction properly.

@esaj your post was very helpful because it made me disassemble my wheel once more where my friend spotted a cut cord - as seen in the picture. The cord goes from the battery to the charging connector - and not from the charging port to the connector.

Like I said, it was a very easy fix if you know how to use a soldering iron and heat shrink - which luckily I do...

My only worry now is that the weeks of being completely discharged has damaged the battery but, as before, I have absolutely no idea how to test that :P

IMG_20150703_224413934.jpg

My only worry now is that the weeks of being completely discharged has damaged the battery but, as before, I have absolutely no idea how to test that :P

Good that it was an easy fix. :)  At least MOST wheels seem to stop you from riding at fairly safe voltage levels (FW does it around 3.5V per cell, whereas the cell minimum voltage is 2.5V), so if your wheel is like that, and there's not much self discharge in the battery, the battery's probably still alright, but I don't know that much about them really... ;)

My only worry now is that the weeks of being completely discharged has damaged the battery but, as before, I have absolutely no idea how to test that

:P

​When you can't ride anymore, there is still juice left in the battery to be left iddle for weeks without any overdischarge damage. So no need to worry.

If range has not decreased, your battery is ok.

• 1 year later...

Archived