Ninebot One E vs. E+

Stinnenich

Hey, it's me again! It's almost time for me to buy my first EUC, and after watching some videos online I noticed something. Many people seem to drive quite "unstable", and wobble left/right. Is this because they are maybe beginners, or is this wobbling always present? Is it exhausting to drive like this? If yes, I saw some EUC with two wheels, like the Airwheel Q3 - are they easier to ride even after not being a beginner anymore?

I'm asking this because I have the RocketSkates (like I said), and you have to position one foot in front of the other in order to drive safely. This position of my legs is so exhausting, because it puts quite a strain on my thigh. In fact this strain is the reason I want to have an EUC, because I hope this things are physically less problematic for me.

I will give my opinion.  I have been riding and researching (watching youtube mostly :) ) for about 4 months now.  That is all the experience I have.

If I'm reading you correctly, the wobbling you are seeing is perhaps watching folks who are riding slowly.  The 'wobble' is them making corrections to keep their balance at slow speeds.  However, if you watch videos of people riding at higher speeds, if I am correct, you will not see this wobble, because the micro corrections are less necessary.  That's my guess.

As to the 2 wheelers, I too considered this route, being a 55 year old, I wasn't sure I could ride a one-wheeler.  I'll try to answer in 2 different ways.  First, it is my opinion that the more experienced riders (like even me) almost universally prefer the one wheelers.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but once one learns to ride the mono wheel version one realizes the versatility and agility that provides.  

The second way to answer is this:  Imagine you are riding on a tilted area.  The landscape is angled down and to the left.  To the right of you looks like uphill.  To the left of you looks like downhill.  (I'm struggling to explain).  So you are riding along a tilted landscape, and on a one-wheeler your wheel stays straight up and down.  Your two-wheeler on the other hand will have its right wheel on higher ground than its left wheel.  I hope you can picture this.  The entire wheel will tilt to the left, just like a car would.  Two wheels I think are only going to be comfortable when the left and right wheels touch ground where they are even. 

OK, I've never heard anyone complain about this, but I thought this over, too.  Riders are sensitive to their tire pressure.  Some like it firmer, some like it softer.  Imagine trying to get 2 wheels at exactly the same tire pressure.  And if they are not at the same tire pressure, what happens?  This seemed to me to be one pain too many.  Not sure it is a real issue, but I didn't like it in theory.  The volume of air in these little tires is very small, so even bleeding a little air out of one has a large impact on the psi.  At least in my experience.  It is hard enough for me to get one tire at the pressure I want, much less two. 

Meh, just some thoughts.  Hope they help. 

[edited to add:  Also, if by wobbling you mean simply cutting to the left and then the right, then another reason you may be seeing this is because it makes riding more fun and less boring than riding in a straight line all the time.  Maybe.  :) ]

The two wheel designs are almost universally despised by riders who have mastered a single wheel.

In addition to the cross slope riding problems described above any rough ground or even lumps, bumps and ledges are going to cause lots of instability as they are more likely than not to contact one or the other wheel first rather than at the same time.

Once you have been riding for a few weeks you will be good enough that you won't wobble. The two-wheel models like the Airwheel Q3 are good for learning but are difficult to ride when you are on slanting surfaces like a road with a crown on it. 

Why is the Q3 good for learning? The rider will still have to relearn how to ride on a single Wheel, but only after the experience/cost of how utterly useless the double ones are... 

It  helps a bit with the issue of balance. I agree it's not a cost-effective way to learn unless you can borrow one. At the same time, I'm glad I had my 14-inch wheel to learn on rather than beating up my 16-inch Firewheel more than I already have. It's hard to find a single wheel that you can learn to ride on and be happy with once you are proficient, although I haven't tried the Ninebot One and would be interested in seeing how it fares. But I'm not a novice anymore so it's hard for me to judge that part now!

Ninebot are pretty good in providing two rolls of expending padding to protect the Wheel during this phase. There doesn't seem to be any sure predictors to one's ability to pickup riding an eWheel. From what I've seen unicyclists are typically the best, some can just jump on & go, skateboarders too, I guess it's the class that have some sort of low-center-of-gravity balancing experience. But the degree of variation is massive: I've only had one customer (after a year) admit defeat & ask if he could return it... 

For a novice, it's tempting to go with 2 wheels just for the fear of falling. That includes me too. But I resisted, thanks to this forum. I want to meet the genius who came up with the useless idea of making 2 wheeled unicycle. I doubt they will have any future in the fast growing unicycles that are getting better and better.  

Check out an athletic product called a, "Bongo Board"  It is used to build core strength and balance, and is used by athletes and with injury recovery.  Locally here in the U.S. they cost about $125 new.   The side to side balance on the Bongo Board is the same motion as on the Ninebot One.  I use my Bongo Board daily, and it took me a little less than two minutes to learn to ride the Ninebot One.  Within five minutes of starting to ride the Ninebot One I had gone for a sweet 1 mile ride along my quiet roadway then through the ocean side park, then home.

Doing well with mounting and dismounting the Ninebot took me another few days.

You are good! It took me almost 2 days to stay on the ninebot for 5 minutes let alone taking it out for a mile ride! I'm use to it now though and it's now my daily commute to and from work. I feel it's a bit on the slow side though.

It's finally done! Even though the Ninebot One C+ would probably be enough for me I ordered the E+ from @mengke (his price is better than all the shops we have here in Germany. I didn't want to buy a Ninebot One E+ for over 1100€).

Hopefully everything goes well. I'll post an update when I received it!

It's finally done! Even though the Ninebot One C+ would probably be enough for me I ordered the E+ from @mengke

Hopefully everything goes well. I'll post an update when I received it!

Congratulations, well done! I have my E+ since Saturday and can hardly get off it. It really is great fun to ride and I am sure you will enjoy it too! I also bought the trolley handle and found it worth every penny.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 2-wheel just so I could learn how to ride one.  In my mind obviously it is more difficult to ride than a single wheel.  I've been riding a single wheel for a while and I've tried many different versions.  I know riding different types of wheels broaden your horizon and you will then become at riding all of them rather than mastering only one kind.

Here's the deal with 2-wheels.  It's ride-able.  If you already know how to ride a single wheel it will be like starting over - in fact don't expect to be able to ride it straight out.  Expect maybe 20 mins to an hour before you become comfortable and even after that you probably still won't like it unless you're like me and you're learning it on purpose.  Coincidentally that is how long it could take to learn the single wheel in the first place so it's like re-learning to ride again.  Ain't it cool?!

Technically we're off topic but here goes - with two wheels when you start off both wheels are planted on the ground and you're stuck like that and it's easy to go straight but as you start to change direction the device fights you and wants to stay planted and to go in a straight line.  What you have to do is to force it to tip over so that it's riding on one wheel - you have to do this if you want to turn left or right.  For example try to do a slalom left and then right - this mean you have to transition from 2-wheels planted, tip it left on one wheel, land it flat again on 2-wheels, tip it right on one wheel, then land it flat again just to do this simple slalom.  In the beginning these transitions will be big events and jarring and you have to be forceful as it won't gently tip from center and when returning to center it's like landing a plane (too much?)  There is the basics of the difference with 2-wheels.  I can tell you how to 'fix' this and how to improve or learn to ride a 2-wheel maybe on the appropriate topic-thread.

I bought a 2-wheel just so I could learn how to ride one.  In my mind obviously it is more difficult to ride than a single wheel.  I've been riding a single wheel for a while and I've tried many different versions.  I know riding different types of wheels broaden your horizon and you will then become at riding all of them rather than mastering only one kind.

Here's the deal with 2-wheels.  It's ride-able.  If you already know how to ride a single wheel it will be like starting over - in fact don't expect to be able to ride it straight out.  Expect maybe 20 mins to an hour before you become comfortable and even after that you probably still won't like it unless you're like me and you're learning it on purpose.  Coincidentally that is how long it could take to learn the single wheel in the first place so it's like re-learning to ride again.  Ain't it cool?!

Technically we're off topic but here goes - with two wheels when you start off both wheels are planted on the ground and you're stuck like that and it's easy to go straight but as you start to change direction the device fights you and wants to stay planted and to go in a straight line.  What you have to do is to force it to tip over so that it's riding on one wheel - you have to do this if you want to turn left or right.  For example try to do a slalom left and then right - this mean you have to transition from 2-wheels planted, tip it left on one wheel, land it flat again on 2-wheels, tip it right on one wheel, then land it flat again just to do this simple slalom.  In the beginning these transitions will be big events and jarring and you have to be forceful as it won't gently tip from center and when returning to center it's like landing a plane (too much?)  There is the basics of the difference with 2-wheels.  I can tell you how to 'fix' this and how to improve or learn to ride a 2-wheel maybe on the appropriate topic-thread.

Hi castShadow, welcome back, I have sent a pm to you ... if you can reply. ..thanks :)

Archived