1radwerkstatt battery upgrade kit...

Scully

On 31 August 2016 at 4:34 PM, Keith said:

Currntly I'm contemplating putting 4 off 4-cell LiPo's in parallel with my existing 340Wh LiIon pack as it would be quite cheap to do, I'm just trying to work out the best way to balance them, but I don't foresee any problems other than that.

Interesting.  Which wheel?  I'm thinking of upping my 14c 340wh too.  There's this whacking great hole under one leg pad that's just crying out for a humongo battery pack.  I hear I t calling to me, every time I'm under 50%, and don't want to go home yet.

On 22 January 2017 at 4:33 AM, dbfrese said:

I'm really bummed we can't get 1radwerkstatt batteries in the States. Maybe I'll build my own -- does anyone know what kind of BMS board 1rad uses? Is it an "off the shelf" BMS, or is it their own custom design? Is it the same for either battery configuration?

The US (and Canada) is a vast land full of clever people doing fantastic things in every conceivable field of endeavour. I'm sure a little Google-ing will find many people who can build custom battery packs.  They may not be EUC experts, but as long as you provide them the pertinent info, I'm sure a satisfactory result will ensue.  And maybe more business for them from other North America customers, maybe even @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Can be coaxed from his burrow by the prospect. ?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Interesting.  Which wheel?  I'm thinking of upping my 14c 340wh too.  There's this whacking great hole under one leg pad that's just crying out for a humongo battery pack.  I hear I t calling to me, every time I'm under 50%, and don't want to go home yet.

Look at this thread ....and you can get an idea of what is possible :-) This are about 590Wh...but with nearly NO voltage drop:

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:
6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Look at this thread ....and you can get an idea of what is possible :-) This are about 590Wh...but with nearly NO voltage

Nice! Thanks for that. I wasn't specifically looking at LiPo tech, but it's an intriguing option.  I really like the " no voltage sag" thingy,. Not so keen on the " monitor constantly whilst charging " or " no BMS"  Thingys. Maybe there are more solutions now, it being 18 months later.

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

maybe even @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Can be coaxed from his burrow by the prospect.

The prospects of coaxing Hunka-Hunk out of his burrow, especially during the long Canadian winter, are probably pretty slim. At some level I'd really like to learn how to do this myself and save a little money at it, too. I even think the idea of making my own microwave oven spot welder would be kinda fun....

19 hours ago, dbfrese said:

The prospects of coaxing Hunka-Hunk out of his burrow, especially during the long Canadian winter, are probably pretty slim. At some level I'd really like to learn how to do this myself and save a little money at it, too. I even think the idea of making my own microwave oven spot welder would be kinda fun....

There's a guy on YouTube, also a Canadian who tried that and caused a fire.  I'll  look it up and add it here.  I don't have time right now.

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There's a guy on YouTube, also a Canadian who tried that and caused a fire.  Ike look it up and add it here.  I don't have time right now.

Which is all we need - bad press for EUCs. I still bump into people who barely know what a Hoverboard is, but what they do know is that they catch on fire.

No, it's not euc related, so no bad press. He's a Canadian dude who makes videos of himself pulling thing apart and examining them, and other stuff.  He's quite knowledgeable.  In this video he's built a spot welder and he's trying it out.  Lithium battery starts at 2:40 ish. But the whole thing's worth a look.  His language is quite colourful. ? And no, it's not from a microwave oven transformer, but I'd like to know how that's done.  I know the transformer in a microwave is quite a potent device, with many other uses.

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

No, it's not euc related, so no bad press. He's a Canadian dude who makes videos of himself pulling thing apart and examining them, and other stuff.  He's quite knowledgeable.  In this video he's built a spot welder and he's trying it out.  Lithium battery starts at 2:40 ish. But the whole things with a look.  His language is quite colourful. ? And no, it's not from a microwave oven, but I'd like to know how that's done.  I know the transformer in a microwave is quite a potent device, with many other uses.

AvE. He's a classic if only for how he butchers the English language :D

Too too cold here - gone into hibernation! :sleep1:

There are a few people on the board who made their own batteries.  Here's a good thread to look at:

You could try emailing @1RadWerkstatt to see if they are able to sell the BMS boards by themselves or can point you to a source to get them.

Got the battery delivered on the door today. Yay! ^_^

And along with the batteries came two pieces of paper. I don't know much German, but one word I recognized: "Important".

So I was hoping some of you are fluent in German and can translate this, or at least give me the general gist of it. I don't want to fry anything by accident. ^_^

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypgwo0oe49v0axj/20170202_173442.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqfesufpq3p2f6t/20170202_173448.jpg?dl=0

23 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Got the battery delivered on the door today. Yay! ^_^

And along with the batteries came two pieces of paper. I don't know much German, but one word I recognized: "Important".

So I was hoping some of you are fluent in German and can translate this, or at least give me the general gist of it. I don't want to fry anything by accident. ^_^

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypgwo0oe49v0axj/20170202_173442.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqfesufpq3p2f6t/20170202_173448.jpg?dl=0

I do not have the time to translate all:

Most important Point is:

Before starting: Load your Ninebot to 100% full!!! Until green light of charger is lit!!!! Because your upgrade kit also Comes with 100% full, and both (ninebot+Upgrade Batterie) have to be on same voltage, otherwise: Bam!!!)

Here is a german Video where you see all steps and this Video has English Subs:

Nice. Thanks for the warning.  :)
I charged the wheel yesterday. Will double check today before I install the addons.

There's just a tiny shard of ddisappointment right now... Till today the streets have been fine to ride on, but today it started snowing. And the weather forecast predict snow for at least several days. But that's just a minor thing. Looking forward to trying this baby out! 

I managed to install the batteries with no problem whatsoever, then I turned it on just to try and the thing didn't go BOOM. I gave it a quick test and it ran like it should, so barring any unforseen problems I call the operation a success.  :)

Thanks for the video, by the way. I would have figured it out without that, but it sped up the process since I could see what to do beforehand.
And I also want to point out that I have seldom seen videos with as attrocious subtitling as in this one. If you had written it out on a sheet of paper and read it out loud without looking at the video you'd think the writer was mad. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am very new in this matter. I have 9B1 E+ and I am considering buying extra battery. But how I have to connect the extra battery to the 9B1 charger?  Or I can charge it only when it is in the wheel :(

12 hours ago, Cheng62 said:

Sorry, but my Internet is limited {I am onboard a merchant ship, and my Internet is via satellite, so I can not watch video) but I want separate battery, not a extention pack.

Then you are in the wrong thread ? For external, seperate battery packs there already exist some threads - from external batteries connected via an dc/constand current-constant voltage converter (==LiIon Charger) to just directly to the charger port connected external batteries with quite all implications/(dis)advantages/experiences discussed...

On 14/02/2017 at 3:54 PM, Cheng62 said:

how I have to connect the extra battery to the 9B1 charger?

it's very easy to solder a JST plug on a lemo plug

101_0162.thumb.JPG.959870370a97192ec629d0a1ff906f51.JPG

and you can charge your extra battery outside the wheel

Hi, after investigation, I found that LEMO plug is veery big family. Do you know exactly the type of this plug.

Some sellers in the net were offering cable for charging external battery with plugs, but probably it is discontinued. 

Archived