1radwerkstatt battery upgrade kit...

Scully

hi Scully

I'm a 9boter from France and just ordered 2 battery upgrades for my son and myself.

I was wondering, with the upgrade, when does the limp mode kick in ? still when the battery shows 20%, or when the range shows 7-8 km ?

in the second case it would be at a stage where the battery is near 10-12%, so you would really benefit of 100% of the battery upgrade.

I'm asking this because I don't know how the 9bot firmware works exactly, which data it relies upon to decide when to switch to the limp mode.

• 4 weeks later...

correct me if I am wrong, using different batteries in the same machine  to charge will damage those old batteries.

9bot e+ use 2900 Panasonic cells while the new one use 3500 sanyo cells, everytime you charge batteries , Panasonic cells will get full power first and have to wait those sanyo cells , it causes Panasonic cells need to be discharge and recharged several times for your per charger.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, arthurson said:

correct me if I am wrong, using different batteries in the same machine  to charge will damage those old batteries.

@Chriull, is spot on, having different capacity, manufacturer, etc packs in parallel causes no problems as no one pack can possibly be any higher or lower voltage than any other at any point, so more powerful packs will take more charge current and give more discharge current. So the only possible problem is if that results in one pack supplying or taking too high a current, which is unlikely.

@arthurson may be getting confused with mixing batteries within a pack, I.e. In series, that is a very big no, no!

Currntly I'm contemplating putting 4 off 4-cell LiPo's in parallel with my existing 340Wh LiIon pack as it would be quite cheap to do, I'm just trying to work out the best way to balance them, but I don't foresee any problems other than that.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Keith said:

Currntly I'm contemplating putting 4 off 4-cell LiPo's in parallel with my existing 340Wh LiIon pack as it would be quite cheap to do, I'm just trying to work out the best way to balance them, but I don't foresee any problems other than that.

I think Vee (aka EUC Extreme) brought the balancing connectors of the packs outside the shell, so he can balance them with an external balancing charger.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

To add, I made some modifications to the leg pads / battery covers. 

I dismantled the origional covers, and took the leather / plastic coverings off - I then added some of the foam padding (which came with the origional ninebot) to the new plastics, then re-covered with the leather. 
I now have more 'cusioned' leg supports (Even if they are a bit iffy). 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an out of the box idea here - does anyone have good contact with Ian Sampson over at Speedyfeet?  I wonder whether he could talk with the people at 1radwerkstatt to stock some of their extended battery pack sets and help ship them to the US as he seems to be able to ship large batteries over inside Gotway wheels.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2016 at 1:47 PM, Lef38 said:

when does the limp mode kick in ? still when the battery shows 20%, or when the range shows 7-8 km ?

the limp mode depend only from battery voltage, battery capacity is below 20% when battery voltage is around 54V. It's impossible to change that by yourself.

17 hours ago, smallexis said:

the limp mode depend only from battery voltage, battery capacity is below 20% when battery voltage is around 54V. It's impossible to change that by yourself.

thank you, but since I upgraded , this is not a question anymore for me, I have too much range, and never entered the limp mode again :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm considering buying this upgrade, but I'm a little worried about how much the side protrude. Can someone that HAS this upgrade tell me how much the panels go out from the white casing, preferably in millimeters?
That way I can tape some extra padding/blocks of plastic to the sides and test if it works for me or not.

Also, are the larger panels that house the batteries hard plastic or padded?

Hi @Gormash

I've sold mine now, so can't measure for you. 
IMO it's borderline 'too much' you do get used to it - but there is a good 10-15mm loss off of the foot plates which can cause stability issues.

The panels come as 'hard' plastic. I used some double sided tape to mount some of the NB protective foam on the covers - then covered it with leather (or pvc) from the original leg covers (I had a spare set). 

If you aren't sure, you could always buy the covers on their own - then if you're happy, buy the rest of the battery pack. 
https://shop.strato.de/epages/80603321.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/9bCover

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lef38 said:

Yes 15 mm, and it has not  been a problem to me to get used to it (same for my son). You almost don't feel it.

You really notice the difference when you take them off again!

• 1 month later...

I'm really bummed we can't get 1radwerkstatt batteries in the States. Maybe I'll build my own -- does anyone know what kind of BMS board 1rad uses? Is it an "off the shelf" BMS, or is it their own custom design? Is it the same for either battery configuration?