Light Electric Vehicles in Finnish national news

esaj

There was a short story today on the yle.fi -news site and tv-news (Yle is the Finnish national broadcasting service). For now, I'm lazy and just give you a link to Google Translate, will try make a correct translation later tonight, as this sucks ;) :

English:  https://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fyle.fi%2Fuutiset%2Ftamankin_sahkoharvelin_voi_pian_nahda_yleisilla_teilla__ei_tarvitse_miettia_tuleeko_poliisi%2F8113336&edit-text=

Original (in Finnish):  http://yle.fi/uutiset/tamankin_sahkoharvelin_voi_pian_nahda_yleisilla_teilla__ei_tarvitse_miettia_tuleeko_poliisi/8113336

Translation:

This particular electric gadget can also be seen on public roads soon - "There won't be need to think whether the police will come"

The Ministry is planning to authorize light electric vehicles in road traffic. So far, they have been allowed to be driven only in closed areas and indoors.

Hannu Nyyssönen from Kuopio has taken an interest in electric powered vehicles. 

One-wheel driven Airwheel is one of the lightweight electric vehicles, which are currently allowed to be ridden only in closed areas or indoors.

The situation will be different in the future, if the legislative amendment outlined by Ministry of Transport and Communications goes through. Then Hannu Nyyssönen from Kuopio could ride the unicycle on the pedestrian sidewalk. Although he confesses to have tried the roads already.

- If it were allowed to ride officially, I wouldn't have to think if the police will come after me soon, says Nyyssönen.

Ministry's thought is to equate vehicles running under 15 kilometers per hour with kickboards and rollerblades, in which case they are subject to pedestrian traffic rules. Bigger, up to 25 kilometers per hour running devices would in turn be used with bicycle traffic rules.

An exception would be self-balancing transport devices, such as the Segway, which would also be allowed to be ridden on pedestrian sidewalk - as long as you maintain pedestrian walking speed.

Transport devices comparable to bicycles should have reflectors and (audible) signaling device. Like a bicyclist, the rider would always have to wear a helmet.

Police predicts problems

Motorcycle riding senior officer Heikki Laitinen in Eastern Finland Police Department praises the electric widgets for their ecology. At the same time, however, he fears growing problems.

- When the devices become more common, it's also going to increase driving while intoxicated, he thinks.

According to Laitinen new means of transport will also tend to increase the temptation to tune them.

- Could get a bit faster and to make small tricks, he predicts.

Drift Wheel will be held banned?

All kinds of electric vehicles will hardly be seen on public roads. One left outside the law amendement is probably the self-built drift wheel of Hannu Nyyssönen. As the name suggests, it is drifting like a car in the winter.

- I do not believe and I do not hope that it will be legitimate, says a senior constable Heikki Laitinen.

Nyyssönen agrees with the police.

- It is so dangerous of a gadget, that it's better to stay in a closed area.

The amendment was circulated for comment in the spring. It is intended that the amendment will enter into force at the beginning of next year.

So,

-ANY electric device under 15km/h can ride on pedestrian sidewalk, and all the self-balanced vehicles also... maybe good, maybe not, a Segway is going to take a lot of space. But then again, probably no-one wants that they ride on the car lanes when there's no bike lane...

-Up to 25km/h, only in bike-lanes. But when there's no bike lane, they must ride in the car lane then (except for self-balancing devices). That might be a bit of a problem, have fun with your traffic jams caused by 3- or 4-wheeled devices that go 25km/h max. Although I don't know if such exist, or will ever be allowed (might be too wide anyway?). Maybe allowing only 2- and 1-wheeled self-balanced devices and e-bikes might be wiser?

-Reflectors - good

-Audible signaling device - good, as long as it isn't required to be fixed to the device... You can put a bike bell on an EUC, but how the hell do you ring it then? Personally I hold one around my left index finger that I can flick with my thumb when needed

-Mandatory helmets - very good, maybe the idiots won't get (any more) brain damage, although at least most bicyclist don't seem to follow this law anyway...

Not that it's going to change my situation right now in any way, since it won't be in effect until the year changes. And don't even think I'm going to stop riding the Firewheel even after that, check the manufacturer specs, says it's 25km/h max... ;)  If the police have the time and resources to go after EUCs and other light electric vehicles, when they aren't causing any trouble, they could then also stop complaining about resource problems and start solving real crimes more efficiently... :D

Translation:

So,

-ANY electric device under 15km/h can ride on pedestrian sidewalk, and all the self-balanced vehicles also... maybe good, maybe not, a Segway is going to take a lot of space.

-Up to 25km/h, only in bike-lanes. But when there's no bike lane, they must ride in the car lane then (except for self-balancing devices). That might be a bit of a problem.

-Reflectors - good

-Audible signaling device - good, as long as it isn't required to be fixed to the device (You can put a bike bell on an EUC, but how the hell do you ring it then? Personally I hold one around my left index finger that I can flick with my thumb when needed)

-Mandatory helmets - very good, maybe the idiots won't get brain damage, although atleast most bicyclist don't follow this law anyway...

Not that it's going to change my situation right now in any way, since it won't be in effect until the year changes. And don't even think I'm going to stop riding the Firewheel even after that, check the manufacturer specs, says it's 25km/h max... ;)

​I also found out just yesterday that these EU's are illegal in NYC after purchasing and getting into it haha. But according to a user who has been using the wheel in NYC for a little while, he hasn't been given any trouble as of yet... Seems to be the same case for you in Finland. It'll be interesting to witness the reception of these wheels by our societies, whether they gain traction or not, and how law is changed in step with it.

​I also found out just yesterday that these EU's are illegal in NYC after purchasing and getting into it haha. But according to a user who has been using the wheel in NYC for a little while, he hasn't been given any trouble as of yet... Seems to be the same case for you in Finland. It'll be interesting to witness the reception of these wheels by our societies, whether they gain traction or not, and how law is changed in step with it.

Yeah, it's still technically illegal here (and technically, due to the REAL max speed, not the manufacturer stated one, the Firewheel would be illegal even if the amendments were already passed). ​I've seen cops so many times over the last two months, that I don't even flinch anymore when I come across them. I've ridden a meter away from a police standing on the bikelane, one cop car turned sideways in front of me near the marina, and I expected them to stop me, but after I rode slowly pass them, they just turned the car around and (I think) drove a bit behind me before going on their way, they've sometimes been riding next to me on the car lane etc. Never been stopped by them, even for plain interest or questions about the wheel. Guess they have better things to do than harass me... ;)

I predict that next summer, there's going to be a huge craze over the wheels at first, some accidents due to some inexperienced riders and kids trying and doing stupid things, and then it's going to tune down a bit... they'll assimilate into road traffic over time, but the at least the first summer's probably going to be crazy, hopefully won't lead to an outright ban. Hope I'm wrong on this, though  ;) 

So far, peoples' reactions have been only positive (at least those who have bothered to stop me to ask about it, most people just look amazed or laugh when they see me, maybe partially due to my safety gear :D), but that might change a bit too when they become more popular... 

Here in Singapore electrical scooters are already quite popular and you can see all sorts of them everywhere. In relation EU's are still kind of exotic, however gaining popularity. Now, we also had an article in our local newspaper earlier this year. Bottom line is, that the usage is explicitly barred on the roads as well as in parks and park connectors. On pavements, on the other hand, it is not. There is just a hefty fine in case it causes damage to a third party. (Which is the basis of the society here anyway and in my personal opinion not unreasonable. But that is just my tuppence)

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/more-lifestyle-stories/story/electric-unicycles-catching-users-hope-rules-can-be-relaxed-2

Translation:

-Audible signaling device - good, as long as it isn't required to be fixed to the device... You can put a bike bell on an EUC, but how the hell do you ring it then? Personally I hold one around my left index finger that I can flick with my thumb when needed

-Mandatory helmets - very good, maybe the idiots won't get (any more) brain damage, although at least most bicyclist don't seem to follow this law anyway...

Audible signaling device...

There is a story of software firm that needed a saxophone sounds for their software. One guy suggested that they buy 10 000e software that can create natural sounding saxophone sounds. Another one said he knows a guy who plays a saxophone and can do the same sounds for 100e.

Maybe we should have a device that when pressed a button says out loud "Please get out of the way". Or we could open our own mouths and say something to pedestrians in front of us?

And helmets. I'm one of the "idiots" that don't wear helmet. Not with EU, not with bike, not with roller blades, not when walking. Only wihen kitesurfing.

Hope they come to senses.

Audible signaling device...

There is a story of software firm that needed a saxophone sounds for their software. One guy suggested that they buy 10 000e software that can create natural sounding saxophone sounds. Another one said he knows a guy who plays a saxophone and can do the same sounds for 100e.

Maybe we should have a device that when pressed a button says out loud "Please get out of the way". Or we could open our own mouths and say something to pedestrians in front of us?

I did shout before I got the bell, but it had a few problems: I had to open up the chin-part of the helmet so people could hear me, which isn't really fast, and most roller skaters and bicyclists reacted by either looking behind them (usually swerving to the side of the shoulder they were looking over) or not reacting. With bike bell, everyone seems to know how to act, they just move to the side without looking back and let me pass.

I don't think the cost should be an issue, a bike bell costs few euros, so comparing it to the software world isn't really fitting to this.

And helmets. I'm one of the "idiots" that don't wear helmet. Not with EU, not with bike, not with roller blades, not when walking. Only wihen kitesurfing.

Hope they come to senses.

May I ask why you don't want to wear a helmet? I don't mean that everyone should use a motorcycle full-face/"systems" helmet (that's what the one's with opening chin-part are called, "systems helmet"/"järjestelmäkypärä", don't know why), but at least a basic bike- or skateboarding-helmet could (possibly, not always) prevent more serious injuries in case of a fall or crash... Of course it's your own choice, but I just don't get people who don't want to wear helmet because "it makes me look stupid" or "it gives me helmet hair"... it's a pretty cheap life insurance. Would you let your kids ride without a helmet? Would you drive a car without seat belt because "it's uncomfortable" or because "I ride so well/so slow/so short trips that I don't need it". No matter how experienced or skilled driver/rider you are, you can never know what happens, even if you don't make any mistakes yourself, someone else could.

I always wear a biking helmet too when cycling, of course my speeds tend to be around 25-40km/h (with a basic cheapo hybrid, not a road bike)...

Hi

I never wear helmets as well neither when skiing nor biking or inline skating. Why? Well I don´t feel free with it. You have a lot of risks in your life and you have to decide if it is ok for you. It also depends how good and fast you drive. Feasibility. You should decide and not a law - it is a kind of self responsibility.  I am a very carefull driver, runner whatever and know my skill limits. 

People smoke - even when they know about the risks. People are eating to much getting bigger and bigger all over the world with the risk of an heart attack, diabetes, knee problems etc....that´s life!
I run a lot in my freetime and sometimes I overtake people riding their bike with a helmet on. So consequently I should run with a helmet, it is dangerous (I face plant once in the rain years ago in a big puddle). I am the "no risk, no fun" type. Riding a EUC is more dangerous than walking.

What I do if I drive with higher speed (not when practicing tricks): I do wear hand, knee and elbow protectors. I inlineskated a lot and you learn to fall on your protected body parts. This is the minimum an a compromise of comfort and safety. Be tolarant of people wearing or not wearing protectors, smoke or not smoke or if they spend all their money at Mc Donalds.... It´s their life...

Manu

Hi

I never wear helmets as well neither when skiing nor biking or inline skating. Why? Well I don´t feel free with it. You have a lot of risks in your life and you have to decide if it is ok for you. It also depends how good and fast you drive. Feasibility. You should decide and not a law - it is a kind of self responsibility.  I am a very carefull driver, runner whatever and know my skill limits. 

People smoke - even when they know about the risks. People are eating to much getting bigger and bigger all over the world with the risk of an heart attack, diabetes, knee problems etc....that´s life!
I run a lot in my freetime and sometimes I overtake people riding their bike with a helmet on. So consequently I should run with a helmet, it is dangerous (I face plant once in the rain years ago in a big puddle). I am the "no risk, no fun" type. Riding a EUC is more dangerous than walking.

What I do if I drive with higher speed (not when practicing tricks): I do wear hand, knee and elbow protectors. I inlineskated a lot and you learn to fall on your protected body parts. This is the minimum an a compromise of comfort and safety. Be tolarant of people wearing or not wearing protectors, smoke or not smoke or if they spend all their money at Mc Donalds.... It´s their life...

Manu

Yes, people have free choice (well, technically, I think, but am not sure, that the current law here gives the police the ability to fine people without helmets, but have never heard of that happening), and even though I don't get when people say they don't wear helmet because of appearance, I sort of get the point about feeling "free" without one. Still, in my opinion, a basic bike helmet is very unintrusive, it sits on the top of your head, is very light, so you barely can feel it, and isn't even in your field of vision. Personally I prefer the full-face helmet when riding EUCs to protect my jaw and teeth in case I end up face first on the road. Plus in higher speeds the visor prevents insects or other stuff flying to my face or eyes...

And at least you wear some protection. I believe in most cases the body parts that hit the ground first are your hands, elbows and feet/knees, head striking the ground isn't that usual, but has happened to me in my very first day with an EUC, the chin-part of the helmet really banged the pavement when I fell face first, holding the strap in one hand. It happened so fast that I pretty much didn't even realize what was going on until I already was laying on the road. It's probably the same as with the recommendation of not holding even a soda can or a cellphone in your hand when rollerskating, there seems to be an evolved natural instinct to protect what ever you're holding in your hands (probably to protect a possible child a person is carrying). No damage in my case, the protective gear took all the hits, not even a bruise.

Last summer or the summer before that, I happened to an accident site on a side road, when driving with my cousin, a young girl riding a bike had been hit by a car and her skull was cracked open... A helmet would probably have saved her  :(

Hi

Manu

​That's my point. Know the risks and act accordingly.

A couple of years ago I was kitesurfing in Brazil and from where I was kitesurfing there was about 8km back to pousada and I kitesurfed that route in a setting sun. Awesome.The local kiteschool instructors said don't go alone and gave warnings about some guy from New Zealand being rescued to a fishing boat. But I knew my skill level and not to take unnecessary risks when going alone. I did that for 4 months, every day and it was always as fun.

My sister threw a two-by-four straight to my forehead when we were kids. Should I be wearing a helmet near her? 

About the bell. Why should it be mandatory? If I don't have a bell, I either shout or wait for pedestrians to give room? Simple.

​That's my point. Know the risks and act accordingly.

Yes, but this still doesn't answer the question why you don't want to use a helmet while riding an EUC. I'm not going to argue whether you should or should not (I think I've made my personal stance and reasons on using helmets and other protection clear)... If you don't use one, fine, it's your choice, I just wanted to know why.

A couple of years ago I was kitesurfing in Brazil and from where I was kitesurfing there was about 8km back to pousada and I kitesurfed that route in a setting sun. Awesome.The local kiteschool instructors said don't go alone and gave warnings about some guy from New Zealand being rescued to a fishing boat. But I knew my skill level and not to take unnecessary risks when going alone. I did that for 4 months, every day and it was always as fun.

Very little or nothing to do with the issue of riding EUCs. Sounds more like overconfidence (it happens to "them", not me, because I've got such a high skill level, and always ride safely, nothing has ever happened, so nothing will happen now/in the future either)... ;)  Is this the reason for not using a helmet?

My sister threw a two-by-four straight to my forehead when we were kids. Should I be wearing a helmet near her? 

Again, nothing to do with using helmet while riding an EUC, but if your sister still keeps throwing two-by-fours at you, maybe you should..? ;)

About the bell. Why should it be mandatory? If I don't have a bell, I either shout or wait for pedestrians to give room? Simple.

​It doesn't say it has to be a bell, the exact wording was "äänimerkinantolaite", which I translated into "Audible signaling device". And I don't make the rules. If it becomes an issue with the cops, you could always just tape a bell or something on your EUC, at least it then follows the regulation, even if you can't/won't use it  :D  Even the beeping of the device could also be enough, but it doesn't do it on lower speeds...

I always wear a helmet. It helped in my last crash and may have even prevented breaking my nose. I would have been even better off if I also had knee and elbow pads, that's where I got some nasty road rash. But it's very hot around here in the summer and I prefer to wear shorts and a t-shirt. At least the helmet gives some shade on my face!

As far as whether there should be rules about wearing safety equipment on bikes, motorcycles or EUs, many places in the USA have it mandatory for children and fewer require it for adults. From a public welfare standpoint I am not so much worried about people dying by their own carelessness, but if they become injured or disabled and the public is responsible for fixing them up then I think the public can request they take some precautions. Also consider the feelings of a driver of a car or cyclist who runs into you by accident. Reducing the chance of serious injury there is good for both.

Very little or nothing to do with the issue of riding EUCs. Sounds more like overconfidence (it happens to "them", not me, because I've got such a high skill level, and always ride safely, nothing has ever happened, so nothing will happen now/in the future either)... ;)  Is this the reason for not using a helmet?

I did not say I have a high skill level. I said I know my skill level ;)

It's not about hair, I don't use any protection with Airwheel or bike With roller blades I use wrist guards.

I did not say I have a high skill level. I said I know my skill level ;)

It's not about hair, I don't use any protection with Airwheel or bike With roller blades I use wrist guards.

Fair enough, I think I've pestered you about the matter enough ;)    And even if the mandatory helmet usage would end up in the final law amendment, I doubt that the police have the resources or will to actually monitor any usage, I've never heard any bicyclist to have been stopped or fined for not having a helmet. :P  If they'd have the time to do that, the crime level must be very, very low...

I just had my first contact with a person who wasn't as positive about riding EUCs...

I went for a night ride, leaving after 12AM. I picked a route I have never ridden before, that goes near the hospital. Nothing special on the way, keeping good pace but not even near top speeds. Traffic is next to nonexistent as it's over midnight on a weekday, saw a few bikes farther away here and there, and some cars. After going around the hospital, I turned back to go via a long bike lane that goes next to a freeway. As I was closing the corner where to turn to the bikelane, I saw a lady ride her bike to the same bikelane.

As I came around the corner, she was riding maybe 10 meters ahead of me, peeking at me over her shoulder and said something like "hey you!". I rode next to her and opened my visor, so I could hear her better. The following short conversation ensued:

She: "Isn't that one of those things, I saw a tv-program about them yesterday..." (Probably meaning the news)

She: "Do you think this is some kind of a closed area?"

Me: "No"

She "So why are you then riding here?"

Me: "Because I feel like it"  (Well, that's the truth, I have no plausible reason to be riding there or anywhere else in public roads)

She just exploded.

She "Yeah, yeah, it's your kind of selfish bastards who are responsible for so many accidents and injuries..." (I didn't really get it all as she was yelling and the words just poured out of her mouth)

So I put my visor down, gave her the thumbs up (yes, thumbs up, not middle finger) and accelerated to around the top speed, leaving her behind me. I could still hear her yelling from the top of her lungs "FALL DOWN!" and I laughed so hard that I nearly did...  :D 

I just had my first contact with a person who wasn't as positive about riding EUCs...

Nicely put. I wonder what a person has to say before you describe him or her as "disapproving"?

And "Thumbs up" - Well done!!!

Nicely put. I wonder what a person has to say before you describe him or her as "disapproving"?

And "Thumbs up" - Well done!!!

​Yeah, guess she was having a really bad night... For a moment I was worried if she would try to push me off the road and thought better to just get going and not provoke her. Hopefully she got home safe and had a good night sleep, waking up less cranky  ;)

• 2 months later...

The law is moving forward:  http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/kohta+se+on+laillista+kaduilla+alkaa+porrata+ihmevimpaimia++edes+ajokorttia+ei+tarvita/a2324460

Here's a Google-translate, I'll get around to write a proper translation later:

Soon it is legal: the streets begin to buzz with thingamabobs - Not even a driving license is not required

The Parliament receives a legislative amendment that would allow, for example, passing an electric motor has cut scooters and Segway type of equipment use on the roads, said the Ministry of Transport and Communications on Thursday.

Under the current legislation these means of transport can only be used in closed areas and indoors.

Government adopted a proposal to amend the Vehicle Act and the Road Traffic Act on Thursday. Law amendments are to enter into force as soon as possible, but no later than start of 2016.

Finnish law does not currently recognize the light electric vehicles, such as the so-called senior scooters, self-balanced single- or multi-wheeled personal transporters and electrically-assisted bicycles.

For light electric vehicles no so-called administrative requirements are presented, that is, their use does not require a driver's license, registration or yearly check-ups (roadworthiness testing).

Light, up to 15 km / h running devices will be equated with the traffic rules of kick bikes and rollerskates, that is, they would be under pedestrian traffic rules.

The use of auxiliary or replacement equipment for walking has so far only been allowed for persons with disabilities. This restriction is removed.

Bigger, up to 25 km / h running devices should be used on bicycle traffic rules, but self-balancing means of transport such as the Segway could also use the pedestrian-only sidewalks on the condition that they run no more than walking speed there.

Like bicycles, these devices should have reflectors and an acoustic warning device. The user should, like cyclists also wear a helmet. The use of helmet required in the future as a rule, all in such a quad bike, which do not have safety loops.

Do the EUs need liability insurance and licence plate in Finland? Do they Need a type approval or are they just allowed to commute?

From the news:

their use does not require a driver's license, registration or yearly check-ups (roadworthiness testing).

So no separate insurance, normal liability insurance should do, but if you don't have one, then you have to pay for possible damages yourself, if an accident was your fault. No registration needed (so no license plates). EDIT: Not sure about the type-approvals, if such are required, it's up to the importer to get it.

That's the best solution and suprisingly. It was mentioned that the German Gov is working on an EU type approval. Than we've great differences on national implementations which needs to be set back on the same level.

So you'll have the EU included in your normal private liability insurance (like bicycles)?

That's the best solution and suprisingly. It was mentioned that the German Gov is working on an EU type approval. Than we've great differences on national implementations which needs to be set back on the same level.

So you'll have the EU included in your normal private liability insurance (like bicycles)?

It would seem so, if the law regards them as bicycles... on the other hand, I don't know that much about contract law, and haven't read through all the fine print on the liability insurance papers, there could be a loophole for the insurance companies to slither away from paying for any damages  ;)  Probably should ask my sisters' boyfriend, who's a lawyer...

If you could bring up some more details it would be good. Interesting to see where different countries direct to. With no equal conditions all over europe it would be a nightmare if you travel. If the Germans like to have a registered EU with licence plate you can't drive your finnish EU in Germany. That would be bad.

If you could bring up some more details it would be good. Interesting to see where different countries direct to. With no equal conditions all over europe it would be a nightmare if you travel. If the Germans like to have a registered EU with licence plate you can't drive your finnish EU in Germany. That would be bad.

When they make these laws, it would be nice to see the reasons why some country decides differently than some other. The reason's for instance why country sees you have the have bell or something or license plates or ...and explanations why this country is different than some other.

I've read through the documents in Ministry of Transport and Communications -site earlier, but they're only available in Finnish, and pretty long, so I'm not going to start translating them all, sorry. ;)  Also somewhere was a mention that within the EU (European Union, not electric unicycle ;)), the decision about laws regarding light electric vehicles will be left at national-level, so they're bound to be different between countries.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the news was that at least according to the original proposals, there's also going to be a 1 kilowatt (1000W) limit on maximum power, hopefully it means the rated motor power, or even 500W rated are already above it (maximum rated is usually around 2.5-3 times the rated power). Also the 25km/h maximum speed is too low, imho, people keep claiming to me that cyclists don't go that fast, but here they definitely do... There are a lot of bicycles here, I've been passed many times doing 25km/h on the Firewheel by many cyclists, and they weren't on road bikes, just regular city- or hybrid-bikes. Hell, I used to ride at 25km/h AVERAGE speed on a bicycle myself over 20km trips, and I'm not very fit. :D  I was passed on a long up hill going 22km/h (Gotway-app speed, so probably around 20km/h in reality) on vee's MCM2s by a kid on a mountain bike :D

Archived