Jump to content

bent pedal - KS14c


Recommended Posts

wasnt your Ks14 new???

that looks like heavy used...and bent...and defect...also the pedal scratches on the wheel...

stop driving...you can faceplant...because your wheel does not spin free anymore->use to much batterie power->shutoff

 

wasnt your Ks14 new???

that looks like heavy used...and bent...and defect...also the pedal scratches on the wheel...

stop driving...you can faceplant...because your wheel does not spin free anymore->use to much batterie power->shutoff

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the wheel for about 8 months and I have used it almost everyday... :( Yeah when the sound started to get louder I took the wheel apart so now I cant ride even if I wanted :D but of I want to solve the problem first. The pedal scratches on the wheel are just effect of the problem that is the bent pedal holder.

 

Edited by andress
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, andress said:

I have the wheel for about 8 months and I have used it almost everyday... :( Yeah when the sound started to get louder I took the wheel apart so now I cant ride even if I wanted :D but of I want to solve the problem first. The pedal scratches on the wheel are just effect of the problem that is the bent pedal holder.

 

do you have a got dealer somewhere near you who can fix that?

otherwise i would recommend 1radwerkstatt.de in germany...they are Kingsong Experts and doing repairs the hole day long!

excellent reputation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, andress said:

Hi guys mi unicycle started to make weird sounds that got gradually louder, see in video.

https://goo.gl/photos/NGDW2HLzdFpbsB5VA - video and photos

I took it apart and discovered that the axis that holds the pedal is bent (see photos) :( Anyone has any idea what to do with it?

Shocking pictures!?. How can a wheel turn into such a bad condition after 8 months? Are you driving in all weathers?

Edited by SeabirdHH
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, andress said:

Hi guys mi unicycle started to make weird sounds that got gradually louder, see in video.

https://goo.gl/photos/NGDW2HLzdFpbsB5VA - video and photos

I took it apart and discovered that the axis that holds the pedal is bent (see photos) :( Anyone has any idea what to do with it?

@andress your axle is not bent - it is cracked. Look more closely at the base of the shaft - i prredict you will see a crack on one of the sides. The crack will be on the side where the angle between the shaft and the motor cover is obtuse. There is no other way but to replace the entire motor. If you know a very skillful welder, you can try to weld, but this will not be easy at all. If the wheel is still on warranty there is a chance that your distributor ( or kingsong) will replace it for you . Take good pictures of the crack for kingsong. Good luck. 

may i know your weight and the total mileage of the wheel?

Edited by Cloud
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cloud said:

@andress your axle is not bent - it is cracked. Look more closely at the base of the shaft - i prredict you will see a crack on one of the sides. The crack will be on the side where the angle between the shaft and the motor cover is obtuse. There is no other way but to replace the entire motor. If you know a very skillful welder, you can try to weld, but this will not be easy at all. If the wheel is still on warranty there is a chance that your distributor ( or kingsong) will replace it for you . Take good pictures of the crack for kingsong. Good luck. 

may i know your weight and the total mileage of the wheel?

You are right :( I did closer inspection after cleaning the axle and found the crack...

The mileage in the app is broken, it doesn't record half the trips. But I think I rode around 1000km. I weigh 85kg.

20160802_154215.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is any consolation, you are not alone in this problem.  It has happened to other ks14c wheels. A bit too early on yours, but you never know, if you did not do extreme tricks ( jumping etc) kingsong shoukd do the right thing and replace this for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is unfortunately issue with most of the EUCs as those are being developed for and tested by much lighter Asian riders (in range 50 - 60 Kg) so adding another 50% of the weight (despite it's being in declared weigh range capacity) will put much higher strain on all mechanical components and joints resulting in broken off axles, pedals and so on :( I hope @andress that you've got the wheel from some respectable distributor / dealer and that you'll be able to get the motor replaced still under warranty. If not than I'd probably try to ask either @Jason McNeil or @1RadWerkstatt if they'd be able to supply new or refurbished motor or maybe someone else here in forums would have some spare parts as well.

---

Držím palce ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! I bought from Neale Gray we will see how he responds. It is ironic that the KS broke since I don't do anything too extreme on it as it is heavy, while my much older generic still holds fine even though it is abused way more (I use it to teach people how to ride, jump on it as it is much lighter etc).

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, andress said:

Thanks guys! I bought from Neale Gray we will see how he responds. It is ironic that the KS broke since I don't do anything too extreme on it as it is heavy, while my much older generic still holds fine even though it is abused way more (I use it to teach people how to ride, jump on it as it is much lighter etc).

As i have heard...this cracked axis was a "general" problem on earlier versions of the KS14...

A distributor of Kingsong in France said that it happend to about 5% of the KS14....but is now solved on actual Ks14...perhaps you have such an "early" version!

So be hard and try to get a replacement motor...with 85 kg you are easy in the max weight of 100kg...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So @Neale Gray told me that it is not up to him but up to the king song factory to decide whether it is valid warranty claim. Their response:  "the motor is heavily bent, I am sorry, we can't offer free motor for replace"  

But they graciously offered me that I can buy new one. :/

I asked Neal to try to fight for me, but I don't have much hope...

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, andress said:

So @Neale Gray told me that it is not up to him but up to the king song factory to decide whether it is valid warranty claim. Their response:  "the motor is heavily bent, I am sorry, we can't offer free motor for replace"  

It's not "bent" - it's poor design where the axle broke off. I'd pressure them for free replacement under warranty as this happened during normal day to day use and not by any extreme conditions outside of the wheel specs. Try to contact @tinawong

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andress said:

So @Neale Gray told me that it is not up to him but up to the king song factory to decide whether it is valid warranty claim. Their response:  "the motor is heavily bent, I am sorry, we can't offer free motor for replace"  

But they graciously offered me that I can buy new one. :/

I asked Neal to try to fight for me, but I don't have much hope...

This will always be their first response. You have to keep trying. Like hec said, explain to them there were no extreme use of the wheel, no major hits/ jumps, this hapoened during normal use

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 2016-08-02 at 8:43 PM, OliverH said:

Ouch. A problem of machining the shaft with no radius to prevent forces coming to a maximum/ breaking at this point?

The EUC business need to get rid off bike stuff and need to practice the basics of mechanical engineering.

Better to use designs like this:

095346tqtgs7fg1wsk5ajj.jpg

095123xrrunur8kzjjolnn.jpg

I'm curious... What make of EUC is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

As far as I can tell from reading up on this situation KINGSONG simply used lower grade metal in making some axles, most likely without prior knowledge one would hope!

I just got my beloved, still, KS14C from SAV ( service after sale, vente) because the VERY moment I heard, felt the pillar touch the wheel I stopped and walked home only because of HERE on this very forum I was aware of this problem, THANKS!

Now have a new motor, wheel and mother board and will hope that this one is made better, time will tell.

May I suggest that if your seller does not want to provide replacement then contact KS China maybe and explain that others have had EXACTLY the same issue.

ukj

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a very common problem on KS14C. Especially for those with a weight of 85kg and above (like me) with a left strong foot. (You start with left foot on the pedal and do a "one foot" at every start, white light in front, therefore the weak axl is also on the left....). I also had a bended axl...

1/ stop ridding it, it is dangerous and 2/ contact your dealer for axl/motor change. No other choice

Good luck

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
On 4.8.2016 at 12:45 PM, andress said:

So @Neale Gray told me that it is not up to him but up to the king song factory to decide whether it is valid warranty claim. Their response:  "the motor is heavily bent, I am sorry, we can't offer free motor for replace"  

It's not bent, it's broken (as @HEC mentioned because there as no sufficent radius along the edge)

 

On 4.8.2016 at 12:45 PM, andress said:

But they graciously offered me that I can buy new one. :/

I asked Neal to try to fight for me, but I don't have much hope...

It's your resellers duty and responsibility to fulfill the warranty claim. He's your contracting partner and not kingsong...

It's neither up to the reseller nor to kingsong to decide if it's a valid warranty claim ;) it's, as already written here a "commonly" known design flaw. Unfortionate for you that your reseller is australian and you're from czech republic... :(

Anyhow a big fat minus for customer care!

If i remember right there was once a post from "our" ?polnish? e-wheels reseller who offered kingsong axles and axle replacement service?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah well that's the thing he is Australian. So I had no way to enforce my rights (or actually I probably could try but it would be so much hassle that it would not be worth it). So I wrote directly to KS and it sort of worked.

At the time of purchase there were no local dealers but this has changed and my new 18L is coming from Czech shop. Hope it will never break but if it will I should be covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...