King Song 18a 1360wh top speed fall 2

Alex_U

Oops I did it again...

Hello lads!

It looks like it was not enough for me to encounter one epic fail, which you can read about at

Today just 2 hours ago I fell again at top speed of around 40 kmh ish. Last time I met tarmac, today it was just dusty village road...

I have to say that after the first fall I made some conclusions and took some countermeasures: limited my speed at 35 kmh and bought body protection. That was right after the first fall and at that time my mileage was around 150 km only. Time passed by, I became more and more experienced EUC roller. I have to say that I used full body protection only once since the first fall - when taking pictures near my home to upload them to a social net. Usually I used only knee protection, but recently I refused using it also. The only protection you should have is in your head, it's your experience - this was my rule. Gradually I increased speed limit to 36, 37 and 38 kmh. 38 was my last. I was getting closer and closer to the limit. Now 870 km are behind.

I have to say that the reason of my first top speed fall was all of a sudden power cut-off: I rolled downhill on even surface fully leaning forward, wheel was continuously beeping for awhile and then... Then the wheel power was cut-off and I uncontrollably ruined forward at around 40 kmh right on tarmac wearing only swim-trunks and sandals. Torn away skin was regenerated in a week and that was probably it. No other consequences. Speed limit had been preset at 40 kmh.

This time was a bit different. Speed limit was 38. I rolled just over 2 hours and left around 30 km behind. Battery level was around 60%. I am an explorer - road beacons me. It is so interesting to roll far and far away, thanks to the wheel - it allows me to do so. So I reached a little pond overcrowded with swimming people. Only village road surrounded it. I rolled as fast as I could. They all looked at me like I was a miracle. Jumping from one bump to another I rolled around the pond at maximum of my abilities and wheel possibilities. And then on the next bump it cut its power off again, I heard something like a quiet click in the wheel and then absolute silence inside saying to me that - oops it did it again. I uncontrollably leaned forward and ruined right onto dirty dusty village road. No body protection, just swim-trunks and sandals. All people looked at me, all from around the pond - epic fail, Darwin's premium gained again. I have to say this time I hit my head slightly harder than on the first time. And lost my conscience for a few seconds. There's a little bump on my head now. Slowly pulling my self together I got up. There were two lads coming up to me first and asked me something. Don't know what I answered, but they disappeared as quickly as they approached. There were 12 km to my home and trying to do my best not to lose conscience again I slowly rolled back.

This time I ripped less of my skin, but what bothers me now is my shoulder - I ruined my left acromioclavicular joint - it is the outer joint of clavicle. Tomorrow thinking about visiting a doctor and taking X-rays, but internet says it does not require anything special - regarding me I'll forget about that in 1.5 months:

clavicle-fractures-acj-injuries-3-728.jp

After coming back home I checked my phone - max registered speed was 46.2 kmh. How is this possible when I had set the limit at 38 only. No surprise that power was cut off. A free spin power cut off with no load was at around 45 kmh, when I tested it fully charged.

Why do I write about that?

Be careful, lads. King Song 18a 1360wh is a dangerous thing, its top speed limit should be set at 35 kmh only. My weight is 68 kg. If you are heaver, you should use lower limits.

Thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, Alex_U said:

Oops I did it again...

Hello lads!

It looks like it was not enough for me to encounter one epic fail, which you can read about at

Today just 2 hours ago I fell again at top speed of around 40 kmh ish. Last time I met tarmac, today it was just dusty village road...

I have to say that after the first fall I made some conclusions and took some countermeasures: limited my speed at 35 kmh and bought body protection. That was right after the first fall and at that time my mileage was around 150 km only. Time passed by, I became more and more experienced EUC roller. I have to say that I used full body protection only once since the first fall - when taking pictures near my home to upload them to a social net. Usually I used only knee protection, but recently I refused using it also. The only protection you should have is in your head, it's your experience - this was my rule. Gradually I increased speed limit to 36, 37 and 38 kmh. 38 was my last. I was getting closer and closer to the limit. Now 870 km are behind.

I have to say that the reason of my first top speed fall was all of a sudden power cut-off: I rolled downhill on even surface fully leaning forward, wheel was continuously beeping for awhile and then... Then the wheel power was cut-off and I uncontrollably ruined forward at around 40 kmh right on tarmac wearing only swim-trunks and sandals. Torn away skin was regenerated in a week and that was probably it. No other consequences. Speed limit had been preset at 40 kmh.

This time was a bit different. Speed limit was 38. I rolled just over 2 hours and left around 30 km behind. Battery level was around 60%. I am an explorer - road beacons me. It is so interesting to roll far and far away, thanks to the wheel - it allows me to do so. So I reached a little pond overcrowded with swimming people. Only village road surrounded it. I rolled as fast as I could. They all looked at me like I was a miracle. Jumping from one bump to another I rolled around the pond at maximum of my abilities and wheel possibilities. And then on the next bump it cut its power off again, I heard something like a quiet click in the wheel and then absolute silence inside saying to me that - oops it did it again. I uncontrollably leaned forward and ruined right onto dirty dusty village road. No body protection, just swim-trunks and sandals. All people looked at me, all from around the pond - epic fail, Darwin's premium gained again. I have to say this time I hit my head slightly harder than on the first time. And lost my conscience for a few seconds. There's a little bump on my head now. Slowly pulling my self together I got up. There were two lads coming up to me first and asked me something. Don't know what I answered, but they disappeared as quickly as they approached. There were 12 km to my home and trying to do my best not to lose conscience again I slowly rolled back.

This time I ripped less of my skin, but what bothers me now is my shoulder - I ruined my left acromioclavicular joint - it is the outer joint of clavicle. Tomorrow thinking about visiting a doctor and taking X-rays, but internet says it does not require anything special - regarding me I'll forget about that in 1.5 months:

clavicle-fractures-acj-injuries-3-728.jp

After coming back home I checked my phone - max registered speed was 46.2 kmh. How is this possible when I had set the limit at 38 only. No surprise that power was cut off. A free spin power cut off with no load was at around 45 kmh, when I tested it fully charged.

Why do I write about that?

Be careful, lads. King Song 18a 1360wh is a dangerous thing, its top speed limit should be set at 35 kmh only. My weight is 68 kg. If you are heaver, you should use lower limits.

Thanks for reading.

Totally agree about speed limit , I don't even use tilt warning and I slow down when I hear the first beeps ,  , app warnings I use now is 25 , 27 , 30 , 37 kmh , my KS18 is running like a horse , nada problema , sorry about your fall again , wonder why you didn't feel any tiltback before your crash ,     I bought this body protection but it's hot and some work to take on off so I have only used it twice  , instead I use a large thick skinnjacket , bicycle helmet , bicycle glowes and Lindstrands motorcycle jeans , leather shoes  

http://sharkspeed.se/product-SkyddsjackaX3mScorpion

https://www.northbike.se/byxor/wrap-herr-ljusbla.html                                                                                                                           

38 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

... wonder why you didn't feel any tiltback before your crash ,                                                                                                                                  

This time I did not feel it, because power was cut-off on a bump

45 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

All 1200W KS18 owners if you've experienced even one cutout, please, please, please contact the person who sold it to you. This is not normal or acceptable behaviour for a Wheel, any Wheel!  

The one who sold it to me is just a Russian re-seller, who does not know ghost about cut-off speed - I'm pretty sure about that. Now this is the conversation between me and my wheel only. We are one on one. And it scores 2:0.

4 minutes ago, Alex_U said:

This time I did not feel it, because power was cut-off on a bump

I think it's proof that it can't handle high speed near 40 kmh that's why I don't go near such speed again , now I'm worried about what speed is safe speed ?  is it 30 or 35 kmh ?
at the samt time you say your log show that you had 46kmh , ks18 can't go that fast , it turns of at 45 kmh at no load at all , I suggest you should slow down and save your health , maybe buy an android Bluetooth watch so you can see your speed easily with the kingsong app

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

All 1200W KS18 owners if you've experienced even one cutout, please, please, please contact the person who sold it to you. This is not normal or acceptable behaviour for a Wheel, any Wheel!  

do you know something new about this behaviour or why it happens...

i have to say, taht this more sounds like a "real" overspeed cutoff. to high speed...and than the bump cares for the wheel to cut off...

for me(100kg) i have never ever been over 35kmh with the ks18....i love my life...

my normal crusing speed is 25-27 with absolute max 30kmh...tiltback on 32 or 33...

i am also in discussions with KS Tina....why my wheel has a max lift off speed off 43/44....which (KS) is NOT ok....should be at least 48.....

If you were jumping bumps then you were probably slightly airborne thus no load on the wheel and sending it to 46kmh.  Was probably wheel cut off on you at mid air.

1 minute ago, Bjorn H said:

now I'm worried about what speed is safe speed ?  is it 30 or 35 kmh ?

It depends on your weight, of course. For my 68 kg it is definitely below 38 kmh :o)

3 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

at the samt time you say your log show that you had 46kmh , ks18 can't go that fast , it turns of at 45 kmh at no load at all

It turns out it can go that fast without cut-off sometimes for a very short period of time. Sometimes it cuts-off, it is just a roulette and you play with a devil that sits inside you. And you know that the only way to win is to slow down.

6 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

I suggest you should slow down and save your health , maybe buy an android Bluetooth watch so you can see your speed easily with the kingsong app

No buddy. Can you imagine me jumping from bump to bump and looking at watch to check the speed?

The speed limit should be in my head. But it looks like I don't have brakes in me. Especially when there are people watching. You should have seen their faces:

42bfb3ae409d974bca3639ff9ed3a1dd.jpg

And this is me with LOL on a roll:

1341231779_y_88c51f07.jpg

1 hour ago, Bjorn H said:

I bought this body protection but it's hot and some work to take on off so I have only used it twice  , instead I use a large thick skinnjacket , bicycle helmet , bicycle glowes and Lindstrands motorcycle jeans , leather shoes                                                                                                                  

I used my only knee protection a few times as well due to the same reasons. But alternative you proposed is neither good. Today it was +31C, I can't imaging myself wearing anything more than swim-trunks and sandals all day long :o)

It's easy to get overexcited and going to fast when you¨re having fun with a new KingSong , I did and I blame myself for what happened , broken arm and joint left arm ,
I think you have to slow down or it will happen again , I find the most dangerous jumps are thoose I don't see so they come as an surprise , only moderate speed can save
anyone then , Jackie Chan , hehe  B)

2 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

It's easy to get overexcited and going to fast when you¨re having fun with a new KingSong

True. Overexcited is about me. This is a dangerous toy and that's what makes it so magnetic.

12 minutes ago, Alex_U said:

I used my only knee protection a few times as well due to the same reasons. But alternative you proposed is neither good. Today it was +31C, I can't imaging myself wearing anything more than swim-trunks and sandals all day long :o)

I think it's ok with swim trunks sandals and bicycle helmet if you lower your speed next time , maybe not above 25 kmh  atleast until you're a pro driver then max 30 kmh , maybe you are a pro , I don't know  :)  , I say you were lucky you didn't hurt yourself more than you did

54 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

do you know something new about this behaviour or why it happens...

i have to say, taht this more sounds like a "real" overspeed cutoff. to high speed...and than the bump cares for the wheel to cut off...

Going over a bump with around 40 km/h (quite near to the lift off speed of max 48km/h) is just begging for a faceplant - sorry @Alex_U, hope you recover well! Depends of course on the bump - the needed "speed" Reserve can be fom marginal to "i will definitely cut off"

edit : which should be mentioned in the manual there is quite about nothing stated  in relation to top speed,driving limits/dynamics of eucs, bumps, etc at least for the ks16. I'd assume thats the same for the ks 18?!

...i am also in discussions with KS Tina....why my wheel has a max lift off speed off 43/44....which (KS) is NOT ok....should be at least 48.....

Lift off speed is normaly without about any load - maybe you just got some not as good bearings, or the casing is slightly hindering the movement of the wheel. Could be some minimal disturbancies which hinder the wheel to rev up to max no load speed! (Just because there is some minimal more load than average...)

@Chriull

when you have followed all other threads of KS18 cutoffs...there are certain people stating that their wheel only has a "lift off max" of 42-44....which is defintly to low for a 40kmh wheel...for example some tests of the ACM have shown speeds of up to 55kmh before cutoff...

Also KS themself is stating that the shutoff speed shut be at least to47/48...

In the moment they are in the status of not beliving it..(the 43 on 90%batterie)...so we will see where that goes.

i will report!

10 hours ago, da_toni said:

maybe you could post a picture of your kingsong Ks18a is it still working after your accident? Or is it a write-off?

It still works. Battery level, when I got back home yesterday was 43% and I tested a lift cut-off speed - it is 41,6 kmh.

Now it is being charged, so tonight I'll check a lift cut-off speed fully charged once again.

20160801_081019.jpg

20160801_081037.jpg

On 31.7.2016 at 9:24 PM, BA-B8 said:

Was probably wheel cut off on you at mid air.

I wish to say that it was a mid-air power cut-off. It sounds impressive. But I believe it was just the overload of the wheel: I reached max speed, wheel was constantly beeping for a few seconds and the next bump was mine. Battery was half empty at that moment.

On 1.8.2016 at 8:22 AM, Alex_U said:

Battery level, when I got back home yesterday was 43% and I tested a lift cut-off speed - it is 41,6 kmh.

And my speed during the whole that roll was close to maximum, I was in a hurry.

Today I had a roll again and when I got back home, the battery level was 37%, around 50 km behind, but my speed this time was not more than 32 kmh. So when I lift-tested it, the max cut off-speed was 42.5 kmh. It looks like the battery saved a bit more power due to lower speed, than on that day of my fall. And it is strange that charge % does not prove this.

On 31.7.2016 at 9:58 PM, da_toni said:

hope you get well soon!

So today is my second day after the crash. For the whole day I was walking without pads, covering my wounds and they all dried out. My left hand is still disabled. Right after the crash, when I was slowly rolling home, I felt and heard a little click-click in my left shoulder, when trying to move my left arm. That was an incomplete destruction in acromioclavicular joint. On that day I could not use my left arm to pull my pants. On Monday I gave it a rest. Tried to get to a doctor, but it was too overcrowded at his door, so I got back home without consultation and X-Rays. On Monday I could already use it, but tried to avoid it, it was very inconvenient and unsafe.

Today I got up and released that I still cannot use my left hand to rinse my face and touch my hair (could pull my pants already, but still). Pulled my self together anyway and tried to slightly use my arm - planted a couple of clumps of bramble in my garden, decided to use my wheel again and rolled to the lake near my home, swam one-handed, got back home. And at 3 pm I understood - I had one thing not done - I had not finished that route on Sunday due to my fall and had to come back home earlier than had planned. So today at 3:30 pm I moved out - rolled at a speed of 30-32 max, though I did not lowered speed limit - it is still at 38 kmh.

Roads beacon me and I thought about that today. It is such a fantastic thing that this long-drive wheel gives you as a gift. I feel my self almost absolutely free, I have a feeling of freedom and a feeling of flight. And the more speed you gather, the more freedom and sense of flight you gain. The higher the speed, the more stable you feel yourself. It is fantastic. In order to feel it again I rolled today on the second day of my crash, left hand disabled, but it looks like that click-click in my left shoulder disappeared. So I have to say I am recovering and that slow roll  toady helped me. I rolled along the same route, reached that place where I fell and fainted and where all people looked at me initially with delight and later with regret. Today there were also some people and I slowly rolled at 30 kmh. Rolled around the pond and moved further as I initially planed on Sunday. There were just over 25 km to roll and I did it, safely returned to my home lake, swam and soon was home. My left hand got better after the roll, moving unloaded it really became stronger and I feel more freedom to use it now. Still cannot lift it to my face without unpleasant feeling, but it better than yesterday. Around 60 km behind today, more than 950 km total on the wheel.

This EUC is a fantastic invention, KS is even more fantastic, thank you developers for freedom of a long route and sens of flight you gain at speed higher than 30 kmh. The one who invented the first wheel centuries ago - did he expect that here would be a day when we would roll safely on one wheel only?

P.S.

They should have named KS - Hell of a Roll. It is really it. Not King Song. But I understand KingSong also - it is not, because you can use those speakers on both sides - no. It is because only Kings can really handle it at full power and then and only then they can hear the song withing that short moment - withing a second - the song of silence while falling right after top speed power cut-off.

Wish you a fast recovery. Set down the speed limit for your next ride. If I remember right there was discussion in Germany to limit the KS18 to 30 km/h - for reason. Every wheel has a cut out speed and needs a safety margin back from max possible speed.

Archived