MSuper troubelshooting

Ok so I have been experienceing some issues with my MSuper V2 (680wh) that Ive had for almost 6 months, make no mistake...I LOVE my Msuper, When I achieve full charge I head out to go ride And as Im leaving the driveway it already is down to 3 lights ...next it bounces from 3 to 2 after 10 minutes of riding, or with any torque like incline. However if I go down hill and regenetate a bit it goes to 3 for a few minutes and back down to 2 lights. Another couple of clues I noticed were that it seems to charge up faster now and when it is done charging the light on the charger blinks back and forth from green to red. I checked the volts on the charger output, 67v is what I get. Im at full charge now and about to open this puppy up and check volts on the batteries and look for any lose conections. I tried to keep this as short as possible so thanks for reading it and any thoughts from any of you would be greatly appreciated as im just trying to figure this out, meanwhile im not pushing it so I stay safe, last words MSuper rocks. 

My guess would be battery pack issue with a cell or two getting out of spec and not pulling their weight.  Differential diagnosis number two would be a faulty charger cutting out prematurely.  If you have a spare charger or can borrow one that is compatible with your MSuper, you could test out theory number two.  Use caution or rather "Be Caution!" riding with this lowered power condition.  If you're handy with electronics, you could also check that your connections are sound from the charging port on the wheel to the Dean's connector with the battery unplugged and the charger plugged into the wheel.  Gently and carefully wiggle some wires around while checking to see if there's an intermittent connection.  You should be able to read the same 67V from the charger plugged in when measuring at the red connector.

I've seen some wires hanging by individual threads resulting in some questionable conductivity.  If it's a battery cell or cells not performing well any more, a replacement pack might be in order under warranty maybe (hello Gotway?), but it could take some time for that.  Other people have been able to swap cells out, but that's more for the well experienced with soldering and electronics as the high voltages and tab spot welding can pose some dangers.  One other guess might be flakey BMS?  I wonder if that could prevent fully charging somehow.

I'll send you my consultation fee shortly in the mail.  :D

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove thank you for all your time, i do have another charger and it also blinks from red to green at what seems to be full charge, it may stay green for a bit then a red blink. The charger reads 67v, i opened my MSuper and checked both batteries one at 62.7 and the other at 62.6. So right now at full charge ( supposed to be anyway) if I get on and head down the drive way it will go from 4 to 3 , like its sucking power and if I do stop it will go back to 4 but 5 minutes down tbe road and im at 3 lights like 25 percent of my charge is gone, and thanks alot for the warning i have been nervous about it so im not pushing it...! Is the bms part of tbe battery packs. I want to just order 850wh from Gotway and be done with wondering..but id hate to spend 666 dollars and have the same issues. Again thanks so much for help. 

Now I don't own an Msuper so maybe someone else will be able to comment, but from all the chargers that I have seen most turn from red (charging) to green (charged), and they stay that way.  It is odd that yours is going back to a red blink.  If both chargers are doing that they likely aren't the problem.  The BMS is the battery management system that usually is a PCB board sandwiched on one side of the battery pack within the plastic wrap. 

One thing to try is to disconnect one battery pack from the wheel and charge the other battery pack by itself.  Check the reading to see if it is over 62V, and check if the charger shows any switching back to red.  If it stays green, unplug the battery and measure it to see if the voltage is over 62V.  With it unplugged, reattach the other battery pack to see if you can charge it separately.  If the charger blinks red you may have found the bad pack.  Unplug it and check the voltage.  Be sure not to reattach both if the voltage difference between the two is a lot different.  I think you should still be able to ride the wheel on the one good battery pack, but it would be just 340 wH so your range will be diminished.  I could have sworn there was someone mentioning some problems with some Msuper battery packs... check with Gotway to see if your unit is still under warranty.

Looking at this video there appears to be a Y-connector from the controller board that joins two other yellow XT-60 connectors leading to the two batteries.

@OliverH had some issues with his Msuper.  Maybe he can comment.

5 hours ago, DR Seymour said:

Ok so I have been experienceing some issues with my MSuper V2 (680wh) that Ive had for almost 6 months, make no mistake...I LOVE my Msuper, When I achieve full charge I head out to go ride And as Im leaving the driveway it already is down to 3 lights ...next it bounces from 3 to 2 after 10 minutes of riding, or with any torque like incline. However if I go down hill and regenetate a bit it goes to 3 for a few minutes and back down to 2 lights. Another couple of clues I noticed were that it seems to charge up faster now and when it is done charging the light on the charger blinks back and forth from green to red. I checked the volts on the charger output, 67v is what I get. Im at full charge now and about to open this puppy up and check volts on the batteries and look for any lose conections. I tried to keep this as short as possible so thanks for reading it and any thoughts from any of you would be greatly appreciated as im just trying to figure this out, meanwhile im not pushing it so I stay safe, last words MSuper rocks. 

Check the charger plugs in the wiring harness to the BMS inside the case. This are the thinner cables coming from the outside charger plug. I had this issue also. The plugs were not fitted right together. You have to unwrap them to check. My fall apart after unwrapping. If you plug them together you should here a click. 

So only one battery pack will be charged. If you start they'll syncing their voltage and your voltage in both batteries averages to a lower level than full. This is the reason why you see LED battery indicator dropping after a couple of 100m. I got 1 LED after some meters of the first incline. 

Good luck with the srews or with the case. They screw them in with battery powered srew drivers. You may find at least one srew hole over torqued. You can get acetone and a LEGO piece (ABS). Both together in the right mix and wearing safety wear you can fix the screw hole.

Good morning, i took the batteries out of my msuper last night, before i unwrap them i have a question, what should the batteries test at individually or does that even matter. Also gotway is telling me to contact the seller because she thinks there is an issue with the batteries or battery protection board. Good lord... If i just order the 850wh battery will this solve my issue so i can get back to riding, in other words is the battery protection board on the batterys or part of the main board that is seperate from the batterys. Again thanks alot for your help. Send that invioce to me for your help...lol

Usually the BMS board is the flat pcb board attached to the batteries under the plastic wrap.  The charge cable and the power cable are soldered to it.  There is no reason to unwrap them unless you want to check them yourself like Oliver mentioned.  If Gotway is thinking it is a battery issue, do what they recommend if you want to maintain the warranty.  It could be a battery defect/bms defect covered under warranty so you would not need to dish out money to replace it.

I'm fairly certain Gotways have their BMS boards in their battery packs.  Why don't you contact your seller for help?  I would guess that a fully charged battery should read about 67 volts.  Maybe your seller can send you some replacement packs in exchange for the defective ones.  If you can't wait maybe ask if it is okay to charge the batteries separately to find which is defective and ride temporarily with one pack for the time being with half the range.

If money is no object and you don't mind ordering replacement batteries, as long as the controller is functioning normally I would think that the new batterries likely would do the trick.  If the packs are six months old, and you can figure out which one is defective you could also just buy one replacement pack instead of two.

19 hours ago, DR Seymour said:

Good morning, i took the batteries out of my msuper last night, before i unwrap them i have a question, what should the batteries test at individually or does that even matter. Also gotway is telling me to contact the seller because she thinks there is an issue with the batteries or battery protection board. Good lord... If i just order the 850wh battery will this solve my issue so i can get back to riding, in other words is the battery protection board on the batterys or part of the main board that is seperate from the batterys. Again thanks alot for your help. Send that invioce to me for your help...lol

I meant unwrapping the charging cables where they stick in each other in the harness. They're wrapped with black tape.

No need to unwrap the battery. But measure the voltage of both batteries after full charging.

there were a couple of MSuper in the sales channel some time stored in warehouses. Could be a faulty battery, but it's worth to get the charging cables checked first. 

1 hour ago, DR Seymour said:

I will be checking tbe cables tonight before i spend 800 dollars on 850wh. I did remove both batteries one test 62.8v and tbe other trsted 62.7v, any thoughts now. I cant thank you enough

Seems to be OK. Make a short run and meassure again. Maybe your MSuper has a broken battery and was to long without charging in a warehouse.

My batteries have been replaced also.

Archived