GotWay Msuper V3

10 minutes ago, egiljo said:

Go Go Go,

Have a good ride ?

Unboxed:'What a beauty :-) 

first bummer found: the Air "gauge" or what is it called? the thing to put air pressure in it...fu^^#%% unreachable to get there with my pressure pumps...and i have 3 options...all nearly impossible to use..GRRR...

yeah...you can see and reach this thing...but as it shows direction into the tyre central...hard to put something on it!

also: first need to charge a bit:

does anybody know if it is OK for a Gotway to use 4 Amps???

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Does anybody know if it is OK for a Gotway to use 4 Amps???

From what I've read you can charge at 4A, but 4A may not be best for the longevity of the battery.

And this brings another discussion:

- What is worse for the battery? Quick charging, or topping off the battery to 100%

If topping off the battery is, then It would be best to re-charge often at 4A for a short period of time, rather than trying to top off the battery to get maximum range.

So for a days riding, it would be best to bring your charger with you , and stop at a place like starbucks, get a coffee, and recharge the wheel for 30 to 45 minutes, thereby bringing the battery up to a good moderate charge.

Reference the "stadium Effect" as mentioned on the Goal Zero website:

http://www.goalzero.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

It takes a longer time to top off a battery to the full capacity, kind of similar to filling the last few seats in a stadium. A stadium fills quickly until it reaches about 80% capacity. Then people have to start tiptoeing around each other, slowing finding two seats here, three seats there, and it takes a longer to fill the stadium to 100% capacity. We call this the stadium effect when it comes to charging the power packs.

From the charge Doctor Website:

As you can see, at first the rate of charge of the battery is fast, but it slows as the battery gets closer to a full charge.

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/category/charge-doctor-en/

Q~

Battery charge rate.JPG

27 minutes ago, Questor said:

What charger (amperage) does the MSuper V3 come with?

Q~

comes with 1,75 Amp....

thanx for your long answer...but...my intention was to know, what the cables and BMS of gotway can do!?

all this longevity stuff ...i pretty know, it is also explained here that a 4 Amp charge for a batterie of this kind is less than 0,5 C:

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/29/what-is-the-recommanded-charge-current/

also i always charge my wheels not more up than 90%...only each 10times i go for a 100%...

but again: good, long answer!!!

I have heard from people trying a 5amp charge on gotways...which killed the BMS...So i better did not try 4 Amp until @Jane Mo or @Linnea Lin Gotway give their OK....

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

So i better did not try 4 Amp until @Jane Mo or @Linnea Lin Gotway give their OK....

Agreed.  I would like to know this as well now that I have a Msuper V3 (820wh) ordered.

Imagine riding 15-18 miles to a nice restaurant, plugging your wheel in at 4A, having a leisurely lunch, and being able to ride all the way back home at full speed.

I want "supercharger" stations for wheels, like Tesla has for their cars. 

Q~

Just now, Questor said:

Agreed.  I would like to know this as well now that I have a Msuper V3 (820wh) ordered.

Imagine riding 15-18 miles to a nice restaurant, plugging your wheel in at 4A, having a leisurely lunch, and being able to ride all the way back home at full speed.

I want "supercharger" stations for wheels, like Tesla has for their cars. 

Q~

Haha...yeah, that would be nice!

in the moment i am using a charge doctor with two inputs of 2 pieces of 2 Amp Kingsong chargers = 4 Amp...

that would be a little bit clumsy to carry around ;-) but for me was the cheapest option of 4 amp charging...charge doctor included...

in the moment i am charging the V3 with 2 amp...better than 1,75 :-)

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@egiljo You are from spain, right?

what are the temperatures you get on the V3 when you are riding like in your videos?

I live further north in Europe, in land of fjords.

I think max temperature outside i have rode is around 22 degrees. Usually around 15-18 degrees. 

Max temperature I have seen is 42 degrees in the app. That was after a long 10-15 degree climb on asphalt in around 20-26 km/h. There where several gates to prevent high speed (usually bikes...) So I had to slow down several times to get throu them and so accelrate. Can't remember outside temperature.

I weight around 95 kg with all equipment.

The cooling ribs on the mainboard get cooling from outside air. So its depended on outside temperature and some movement to keep cool.

I think it's difficult for me to say anything about other mainboard temperature behavior since it's to many factors to consider. I also use the app only for changing settings and I seldom do.

12 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Unboxed:'What a beauty :-) 

first bummer found: the Air "gauge" or what is it called? the thing to put air pressure in it...fu^^#%% unreachable to get there with my pressure pumps...and i have 3 options...all nearly impossible to use..GRRR...

yeah...you can see and reach this thing...but as it shows direction into the tyre central...hard to put something on it!

also: first need to charge a bit:

does anybody know if it is OK for a Gotway to use 4 Amps???

I'm not sure about the full 4 amps but using a Charge Doctor I use two Gotway 1.75amp chargers to quick charge my ACM when needed but I only do that when I need a quick charge. Mostly I just use the one charger and the Charge Doctor so it doesn't charge to 100%

comes with 1,75 Amp....

thanx for your long answer...but...my intention was to know, what the cables and BMS of gotway can do!?

all this longevity stuff ...i pretty know, it is also explained here that a 4 Amp charge for a batterie of this kind is less than 0,5 C:

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/29/what-is-the-recommanded-charge-current/

At this link of hobby16's site is also stated:

" * for currents above 4A , the charging wires (between the BMS and the wheel’s charge connector) are too thin and must be replaced by thicker wires. "

Imho also the connector itself is rated for ?5A? - was stated in quite some posts here by @esajand ?others?.

also i always charge my wheels not more up than 90%...only each 10times i go for a 100%...

but again: good, long answer!!!

I have heard from people trying a 5amp charge on gotways...which killed the BMS...So i better did not try 4 Amp until @Jane Mo or @Linnea Lin Gotway give their OK....

Additionaly if the gotway msuper v3 has (like most/all gotways) no reverse protection diode in the BMS (which is normaly the "weakest" part for higher charging currents) there should be no problem... Imho.

But of course a confirmation from gotway itself should be the safest way...

PS.: 1radwerkstatt.de offers again 4 and 8A chargers and the necessary changes to plugs, cables and BMS for all the different ewheels.

2 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

can't wait to hear your more thorough thoughts

that will be important to me, personally.

thanks for the "comparo" picture, as well

If your thinking of getting a MSuper, it's a amazing wheel to ride.

The power, speed and comfort is excellent.

I "love" my 'super

Here I thought I would not scratch up my M3 on the second day already, but it folded on me from stand still.. I just stepped on as usual no incline or anything special and just when starting it just slowly rolled forward... Naturally I focus on saving myself and am not risking a stupid fall to save a wheel from damage, so I managed to walk off without falling and let it tumble on the ground.

So far the speed is nice I get beeps around 37 km/h according to the app speedometer, seems to be in the ballpark, have not tested GPS speed yet. I can comfortably cruise around 30 km/h without tiltback or beeps and have a buffer for letting it accelerate down short slopes without braking or setting off alarms!

If you go fast mostly the fully functional range seems to be about the same as the V5F+ (30-40km). But at 20% battery (or maybe it was 25% not sure) it will start beeping at lower speed, it was beeping around 25-30 km/h first, then down to around 20 km/h, I could still keep rolling a pretty long distance at lowered but usable speed.

49 minutes ago, nomad said:

Here I thought I would not scratch up my M3 on the second day already, but it folded on me from stand still.. I just stepped on as usual no incline or anything special and just when starting it just slowly rolled forward... Naturally I focus on saving myself and am not risking a stupid fall to save a wheel from damage, so I managed to walk off without falling and let it tumble on the ground.

So far the speed is nice I get beeps around 37 km/h according to the app speedometer, seems to be in the ballpark, have not tested GPS speed yet. I can comfortably cruise around 30 km/h without tiltback or beeps and have a buffer for letting it accelerate down short slopes without braking or setting off alarms!

If you go fast mostly the fully functional range seems to be about the same as the V5F+ (30-40km). But at 20% battery (or maybe it was 25% not sure) it will start beeping at lower speed, it was beeping around 25-30 km/h first, then down to around 20 km/h, I could still keep rolling a pretty long distance at lowered but usable speed.

i have to say:

i also experienced this: "wheel folding" error once!

i wanted to start directly(2-3 seconds) after powering the V3 on...i stepped on...without holding to something...and directly experienced the wheel has not enough power (jet)... the pedals moved slowly towards th ground..i have to step off in front...but was able to grab the wheel!

only happend once until now, but clearly something of a programming error!

Yes I had just powered it on a few seconds before I had to step off in front.

I just came back from another ride now, again speed and comfort is great! But, the V5F+ edges it out in acceleration and climbing ability. Also in a steep loose gravel slope (that the V5F+ has handled every one of the several times I went down it) I now had to step off behind the Msuper as it was not able to keep the speed down and I slowly started to fall backwards.

At the higher v3 speeds this results in pretty long braking distance... The M3 pedals are more comfortable but peak length is actually a few millimeters shorter than V5F+. With the much bigger diameter of the wheel and the much lower mount of the pedals from the axle, it may be that it's just not possible to push enough force into the pedals, or I'm not heavy enough.

42 minutes ago, nomad said:

Yes I had just powered it on a few seconds before I had to step off in front.

I just came back from another ride now, again speed and comfort is great! But, the V5F+ edges it out in acceleration and climbing ability. Also in a steep loose gravel slope (that the V5F+ has handled every one of the several times I went down it) I now had to step off behind the Msuper as it was not able to keep the speed down and I slowly started to fall backwards.

At the higher v3 speeds this results in pretty long braking distance... The M3 pedals are more comfortable but peak length is actually a few millimeters shorter than V5F+. With the much bigger diameter of the wheel and the much lower mount of the pedals from the axle, it may be that it's just not possible to push enough force into the pedals, or I'm not heavy enough.

As i am a 100kg and surely heavy enough to put enough force into pedals...i think its not your weight ;-)

i also recogneized the V3 to have -just a little- poor braking performance!

i did not try a V5F+...but have an KS14 also and believe the smaller wheels in general to have a higher torque! (what makes sense)! So acceleration seams faster...will have to wait till my girlfriend can ride, that we can do a test side by side :-)

But accelaration wise i have to say the V3 18 is accelarating faster than the Ks18 1200w, that i have also...both wheels feeling like a total different "gearset(windings?)"...if that makes sense...

The pedals are hanging quite a bit down from the axle so the leverage could be the main issue. It seemed to handle bumps strongly enough so more torque might be available and I have not heard any overpower beeps yet while accelerating, braking, climbing or decending slopes.. I have gotten a bunch of overpower warnings on the V5F+ but I also put about 1800km on that wheel and it doesn't happen often.

The torque should be stronger than the V5F+ with 2-3 times the power rating, even with the 18" wheel with so much power increase? But on a steep incline even if I stand on my toes on the front edge of the pedals literally with the heels in the air I am just not getting as good climbing ability or acceleration.

I still think it actually could be my weight partially at least, only in reverse.. I mean if KingSong69 @ 100kg stands on a V5F+ it will probably give less torque than it gives me @ 70kg. I noticed when wearing a heavy backpack the V5F+ does feel noticeably weaker and because of that I would probably not recommend that wheel at 80kg or more.

It may be the v3 torque is there in spades I just can't leverage it except hitting bumps, which is really the most important use of torque.. I have not tried a heavy backpack with the Msuper but I think now I should try that out and see if I get less, more or the same torque...

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i did not try a V5F+...but have an KS14 also and believe the smaller wheels in general to have a higher torque! (what makes sense)! So acceleration seams faster.

That is what I have been wondering for a while now, it seems to me also that a smaller wheel would have more torque and quicker acceleration.  Less diameter and weight like having a higher gear ration in a car makes it accelerate faster.  My Ninebot will climb a fairly steep hill if it is already moving, but won't even start moving if trying to start off on even a small slope.  A 14 inch wheel would probably go from a dead stop up a steeper hill than a 16 or 18, all other things being equal.

Great video. 23+ miles per hour is plenty fast enough for me but I know that wheel was capable of going faster and I'm not sure if that was the first, second, or third alarm or if that is adjustable and what you had done in the app to change that. Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

4 hours ago, nomad said:

Beeping starts at 37 km/h. Gotway android app speedometer is accurate - confirmed with GPS speedometer app. (tire pressure 45 psi, my weight about 70kg)

That last beep comes on at 80% of the power which would mean the cutoff for you is about 46km/h or so. I would not go over 43 if I were you. BTW how full was your battery during this run. I know that my V2 on a full charge will have the last beep come on at a higher speed as opposed to having half battery

Archived