Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

On 9/19/2016 at 4:17 PM, Jason McNeil said:

For tomorrow, I need to ask my colleague to check 1) the handle, take some snaps of it, 2) charging plug, is it an GX16?, 3) is the side vinyl a decent quality?, 4) those side pads?

As always Jason Top Notch feedback and customer service!!! Do you ever sleep?

gif smily.gif

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason,

we're looking forward to many wonderful things from you today

pictures and stories and reviews

of course we all know some or all of this may not come today, but we are excited

and I hope that you are also going to give us that KS16 vs V8 comparison we've all got a huge hankering for :D

Thanking you, as always, in advance

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The Msuper is no sluggish wheel...drive wise and powerwise it is nearly the same as the KS16...sure the v3 has more watts....but you do not feel that a lot as smaller wheels have better torque....

one of my biggest surprises: That the agility of v3 was nearly same than Ks16!!!

Pedal of v3 is one cm longer.....but i like Ks16/18 pedals also!

Thanks!

V8s have arrived in LA today, cleared Customs & are going out to Customers later this afternoon.

There's a number of small improvements, already pointed out, like strengthening the tabs that keep the Wheel upright, better handle, etc

I can confirm what @HEC pointed out to me in the Chinese review video, that Inmotion did a last minute coonnector change to what appears to be the three-pin GX16. The reasons for this change where, I'm told, that the Chinese certifying body was not familiar with the previous USB type connector, so required that they adopt an alternative. In my opinion, the three-pin GX16 has been assumed by the de facto 67.2 voltage, so mixing up voltages with the same connector type is NOT a good idea. Just about all Wheel owners (on this forum at least) have at least one other Wheel, so that the statistical probability of plugging in a 84v charger with a 67.2v Wheel, in a moment of forgetfulness are not inconsiderable. Please keep your chargers segregated to avoid a possible catastrophe owing to a voltage mix-up.  

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjOUR5eDlYZ

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcFZNWEdlU

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjSHlYTkNsV

10 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

hope that you are also going to give us that KS16 vs V8 comparison we've all got a huge hankering for :D

Absolutely, video reviews coming soon, promise...

11 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

As always, I appreciate that information

so very much

That sounds like a very secure location

and it really makes no sense to me

I guess you are allowed to bring a phone inside work

but,  the wheel can certainly turn off

It does not need Bluetooth to work. It is just a convenience factor for monitoring to Your Phone, but They Work without Bluetooth

obviously I don't know where you work and it is not of my business. It just seems like an odd thing to me

there must be some way to certify devices like this as being safe in your work environment

your employer should be able to do that, I would think

but again, I'm sorry to hear that they won't and it is not my business :)

Yes it is unfortunate. No cell phone devices are allowed either. Lol. Anything wireless is not allowed. On a positive note, the bike rack covered so I don't have to worry about the elements. 

34 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

V8s have arrived in LA today, cleared Customs & are going out to Customers later this afternoon.

There's a number of small improvements, already pointed out, like strengthening the tabs that keep the Wheel upright, better handle, etc

I can confirm what @HEC pointed out to me in the Chinese review video, that Inmotion did a last minute coonnector change to what appears to be the three-pin GX16. The reasons for this change where, I'm told, that the Chinese certifying body was not familiar with the previous USB type connector, so required that they adopt an alternative. In my opinion, the three-pin GX16 has been assumed by the de facto 67.2 voltage, so mixing up voltages with the same connector type is NOT a good idea. Just about all Wheel owners (on this forum at least) have at least one other Wheel, so that the statistical probability of plugging in a 84v charger with a 67.2v Wheel, in a moment of forgetfulness are not inconsiderable. Please keep your chargers segregated to avoid a possible catastrophe owing to a voltage mix-up.  

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjOUR5eDlYZ

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcFZNWEdlU

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjSHlYTkNsV

Absolutely, video reviews coming soon, promise...

thanks for the HEADS UP about the CONNECTOR change

that is so critical

appreciate it

cannot wait to hear and see more

thanks for everything

29 minutes ago, evomark said:

Yes it is unfortunate. No cell phone devices are allowed either. Lol. Anything wireless is not allowed. On a positive note, the bike rack covered so I don't have to worry about the elements. 

appreciate the clarification and happy that the bike rack is covered

thanks for the info

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

In my opinion, the three-pin GX16 has been assumed by the de facto 67.2 voltage, so mixing up voltages with the same connector type is NOT a good idea.

Not really. For example Solowheel is using GX-16 as well with 58.4 / 58.8V chargers as well as many other manufacturers (not only EUCs but also e-bikes and other PEVs) with various other voltages / nnS setups. It's more down to fact that a majority of the current wheels are using 67.2V so most likely voltage present on any charger with GX-16 plug you might get your hands on would be 67.2V. I have currently at home 6 EUC chargers with GX-16 plugs with three different voltages - 58.4V, 67.2V and 84V (that's not counting the switchable 64.8V on your 5A fast charger ...). ;) 

And indeed I do agree that anyone with multiply voltages devices / chargers needs to pay attention what is being plugged where! Colour coding of the plugs or leads with heat shrink tubes might be one solution though if you're plugging in the chargers in less then optimal light conditions some other "tactile" options might be beneficial instead like small "bumps" glued to the plugs. I'm using a protective silicon "blobs" used normally for electronic devices as small legs or protection against scratching the surface - no blob / one blob / 2 blobs = 58.4V / 67.2V / 84V.

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Please keep your chargers segregated to avoid a possible catastrophe owing to a voltage mix-up.  

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I'm using a protective silicon "blobs" used normally for electronic devices as small legs or protection against scratching the surface - no blob / one blob / 2 blobs = 58.4V / 67.2V / 84

I use Kableflags for all of my charger cords. There are so many different charging end  connectors for cell phones, IPads, cameras,  BT headsets, 3D goggles, EUCs, etc that it is prudent to keep them organized.

image.jpeg

On 9/19/2016 at 4:29 AM, Lyon said:

Hopefully the removable battery means we can install a more robust battery pack in for more ommph later.

it's a space phenomenon

that seems unlikely

this wheel ALREADY gives you the MOST "OOMPH" for the space allowed

there is no more room

great wheel, however.... the highest-tech wheel in existence, arguably..., but one with a SLIM design which means LIMITED BATTERY POWER

On 9/20/2016 at 10:24 AM, Greg Spalding said:

"HELLO KING SONG" very loud at startup makes me GIGGLE

Trust me when I tell you...

You will learn to Love that announcement.

This wheel has been so good to me. And yes, it has the BEST placed Trolley Handle. People still think it's a measuring instrument or luggage. I love it. People will be Shocked and Amazed when you pass them.

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I use Kableflags for all of my charger cords

I personally can't stand any kind of labels or tags hanging of the cable plugs (try to do that with several hundred or even thousands cables in server room ;)) so colour coding or "blobs" are my preferred way both at work as well as home ...

2 hours ago, HEC said:

I personally can't stand any kind of labels or tags hanging of the cable plugs (try to do that with several hundred or even thousands cables in server room ;)) so colour coding or "blobs" are my preferred way both at work as well as home ...

Yes my method would certainly be an eye sore for an organized server room. My charging cables for the EUCs, GoPro, Lipo batteries, camera gimbal, BT headset, BT speaker all end up in my duffle bag. Not a pretty sight?

I certainly see your point with that many cables. Please take a picture of your technique and the coding technique you use for that quantity (100s) of cables. Thanks?

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Please take a picture of your technique and the coding technique you use for that quantity (100s) of cables

Well in the server rooms and raiser / patching cabinets we're using pre-printed pairs of "wrap around" labels which are then placed at each end of the cable towards the plug. Any king of tags or labels dangling around would get ripped of the first time you'd try to pull out or reroute the cables.

5 minutes ago, HEC said:

Well in the server rooms and raiser / patching cabinets we're using pre-printed pairs of "wrap around" labels which are then place at each end of the cable towards the plug. Any king of tags or labels dangling around would get ripped of the first time you'd try to pull out or reroute the cables.

I like that idea! I will not have any problem with the V8 3 pin connector since I do not have any devices  this plug will accept.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I like that idea! I will not have any problem with the V8 3 pin connector since I do not have any devices  this plug will accept.

Well - no problem at all! My V8 has arrived about half hour ago (kudos to @Jason McNeil for a prompt delivery) and the charging plug / socket is much smaller than GX-16 so no possible confusion or miss-plugging of another charger or device ;)

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:17 PM, Jason McNeil said:

3) is the side vinyl a decent quality?,

As far as I'm able to check / see there is no protective side vinyl - have you get this confirmed from IM?

9 minutes ago, HEC said:

Well - no problem at all! My V8 has arrived about half hour ago (kudos to @Jason McNeil for a prompt delivery) and the charging plug / socket is much smaller than GX-16 so no possible confusion or miss-plugging of another charger or device ;)

Perfect! Have fun! Unfortunately I don't receive mine until Monday. Here is a photo of my mess of various cables used just for the EUC equipment. Since I don't understand braille (blob method) but do understand Morse code maybe I can just use  'Dots and Dashes'  for my cable identification :blink:

cables gif.gif

4 hours ago, HEC said:

Yes - they're universal:

Awesome!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, HEC said:

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!  :D

2 hours ago, HEC said:

As far as I'm able to check / see there is no protective side vinyl - have you get this confirmed from IM?

There was a bit of misplaced optimism when told that the vinyl protection would be shipped with this first batch. More hopeful that this can be applied on the second batch, for the meantime, I'm in talks with an after-market supplier to offer precut template that can be applied to Customers. My experience with selling the V5F+ that the #1 request is for replacement shells make the Wheel look like new again, much better in my opinion to have this plastic sheen protect against scratches in the first place... 

2 hours ago, HEC said:

charging plug / socket is much smaller than GX-16 so no possible confusion or miss-plugging of another charger or device ;)

Do you know the name for this connector type? IM sources say that it's the same as the notorious Hoverboard chargers, so still presents a risk. What I love about this company is that after bringing this potential issue to their notice, they're going to investigate using a four-pin instead. 

42V-2A-Battery-Charger-For-Smart-Balance

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Do you know the name for this connector type? IM sources say that it's the same as the notorious Hoverboard chargers, so still presents a risk. What I love about this company is that after bringing this potential issue to their notice, they're going to investigate using a four-pin instead. 

Can't find the name but looks like a "common" Hoverboard charging plug ... Also at aliexpress you can get chargers with this plug.

Shouldn't be that difficult to purchase both sockets as well as plugs for example for fast charging or using Charge Doctor: https://hoverglide.uk/spare-parts/hoverglide-charging-port-and-lead-52.html

Archived