Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

18 hours ago, HEC said:

Why? MH1 cells are rated for safe 1C fast charging which means 3.2A for 1P packs and 6.4A for 2P packs. 4 - 5A fast charger will be perfectly safe, even 6A will be still well within the specs.

It's true, however in Lifecycle section of the Datasheet, it describes the procedure used to obtain >70% capacity for 500 cycles, with a 'standard charge' defined as: 
4.1.1 Standard Charge
Unless otherwise specified, “Standard Charge” shall consist of charging at constant current of 0.5C. The
cell shall then be charged at constant voltage of 4.20V while tapering the charge current.

Wish battery manufacturers could provide a side-by-side graph of cycle life with both MAX & STANDARD methods.

Still: a 3A charger at 84v = 252W, which is double the present offering, a big improvement.  

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

I'm in contact with a Charger manufacturer who offers a 2.5A 84V charger. Not quite a 'Fast-charger', but definitely a improvement over the original 1.5A one. 

This one for example is 4A and can be brought down to 3 (or 3.2) A if needed:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20S-72V-84V-CV-4amp-Li-ion-LiPoly-Battery-Charger-Aluminum-Casing-Electric-Bicycle-Charger/32220754257.html 

So the V8 at the moment isn't the final version yet? Or will it just gonna be a V8+ any soon?

I'm wondering if it is worth the wait... :mellow:

On 8/17/2016 at 8:23 PM, HEC said:

This one for example is 4A and can be brought down to 3 (or 3.2) A if needed:

We used this supplier when first including the fast-charger with the King Songs, It has some issues: fan is excessively loud, quality (like the LED placements) is not the best, and sourcing the correct connector fitted might be a royal pain...

3 hours ago, z3n said:

So the V8 at the moment isn't the final version yet? Or will it just gonna be a V8+ any soon?

Just the V8 :). A engineering friend was visiting from the UK this week, he had a chance to try it out, his comments were that he was impressed by the smoothness & nice ride qualities. I've put on 400km now, even without any side-padding, completely adapted to it. 

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

We used this supplier when first including the fast-charger with the King Songs, It has some issues: fan is excessively loud, quality (like the LED placements) is not the best, and sourcing the correct connector fitted might be a royal pain...

Just the V8 :). A engineering friend was visiting from the UK this week, he had a chance to try it out, his comments were that he was impressed by the smoothness & nice ride qualities. I've put on 400km now, even without any side-padding, completely adapted to it. 

Interesting, Looking forward to see a comparison among IM-V8, KS-16, NB1P.

On 8/26/2016 at 2:31 AM, EUCMania said:

Interesting, Looking forward to see a comparison among IM-V8, KS-16, NB1P.

I'd add Gotway ACM to the mix of best 16-inchers now that I'd love to be tested side-by-side by someone

@HEC certainly a colorful machine! You might be correct on IM's manufacturing logistics and extreme high interest slowing the release or maybe  just some last minute software tweaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Speed test on V8, in normal conditions (in french, but not a lot of text):

Max speed in the test: 30,8kph

Tilt back around 29/30kph. No sound before the alarm of the tilt back.

Generally tilt back arrives between 28 and 30kph depending on the road, the velocity, the weight, the wind, etc...

may i please ask  you approximate weight?

i am, sadly (for my height) 190 pounds (~85 kg)

The truth is this really is my first choice for my next wheel

but i keep looking at he new KS 16 and the Gotway Msuper v. 3 because I think they may be more suited to carry some of my weight

thanks, as always, in advance

6 hours ago, Hirsute said:

Tilt back around 29/30kph. No sound before the alarm of the tilt back.

If there are no configurable alarms like in KS then it would be great if @JumpMaster will be able to add Inmotion protocol to WheelLog (maybe also SW Xtreme ;)).

5 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

i am, sadly (for my height) 190 pounds (~85 kg)

The truth is this really is my first choice for my next wheel

but i keep looking at he new KS 16 and the Gotway Msuper v. 3 because I think they may be more suited to carry some of my weight

I'd say you'll perfectly fine with your weight and unless you need extra long range on one charge or without swapping battery you'll be better off with V8 IMO. It's a "next generation" wheel even comparing to KS-16, 3 Kg lighter and better looking. I'll be hopefully testing one very soon so I can compare to KS-16 with similar weight ;) 

1 minute ago, HEC said:

I'd say you'll perfectly fine with your weight and unless you need extra long range on one charge or without swapping battery you'll be better off with V8 IMO. It's a "next generation" wheel even comparing to KS-16, 3 Kg lighter and better looking. I'll be hopefully testing one very soon so I can compare to KS-16 with similar weight ;) 

I appreciate your thoughts about that. I am concerned about the battery size. Not because I need to take a long ride, but I don't want to have to charge it every day and I know that at my weight the range will be quite a bit less than everyone else is getting. I look forward to hearing your words after the test and please remind me all the reasons you feel the V8 is a next generation we'll even compare it to the KS-16 or Msuper v3.

Thank you, as always, in advance

On 13/08/2016 at 11:50 PM, Jason McNeil said:

No word yet on the fast-charger, panel-design is not going to change for this initial release (Inmotion say that an experienced user will take 3 minutes for a battery swap), not possible to mount V5 foldable handle—I actually suggested that n a future release, they use the practically perfect V5 handle instead of the inferior integrated one, since there's really no benefit, as far as I can see, and then reuse the internal space for a 60 cell pack.... It's a big change, so not holding out hope in the next couple months.

@Jason McNeil Oh yes! With a trolley and soft pads like the V5, and with just a little more battery, it would be really marvellous!

Hi guys

I'm a newbie V3S rider with about 2 weeks experience and i'm loving it :)  I'm thinking of getting a second ride though I deciding between the V5F or V8. Would you guys recommend the v8 to a newbie like me? Or should I wait a few more months to see if there is a V8+ or something along that line while I rack up more mileage/experience?

edit: I posted here as I see that someone has tested the v8 so I thought it would be a relevant place to ask.

@Lyon If it were me, I would switch to learning a 1 tire EUC ASAP as the double tire is simply not the same experience or learning curve.

IMO, despite the shortcomings of its current battery, the V8 is a better overall package, as you give up 300 watts nominal (significant for hill climbing) and ~4kmh speed with the V5 (I personally don't buy into the wheel size difference comparisons that others do).

Just remember, there is no promise of a V8 plus version releasing; all that talk originated on this forum based on user wishes and the history of all the various V5 permutations (V5/V5+/V5D/V5F/V5F+); InMotion has said nothing to this AFAIK. Plus they have other product line focuses right now that aren't one wheel units.

Our V8s HAVE ARRIVED at both the UK shop WheelGo.com https://www.wheelgo.com/product/new-pre-order-inmotion-v8/ and US https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-pre-order-inmotion-v8/

Expecting to clear Customs & get the back-orders shipped out to Customers early next week. 

Much appreciation to everyone who has given us the vote of confidence with their Wallets!

50 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Our V8s HAVE ARRIVED at both the UK shop WheelGo.com https://www.wheelgo.com/product/new-pre-order-inmotion-v8/ and US https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-pre-order-inmotion-v8/

Expecting to clear Customs & get the back-orders shipped out to Customers early next week. 

Much appreciation to everyone who has given us the vote of confidence with their Wallets!

Ooh La La... thanks for letting us know, Jason

that is awesome

On ‎16‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, houseofjob said:

@Lyon If it were me, I would switch to learning a 1 tire EUC ASAP as the double tire is simply not the same experience or learning curve.

IMO, despite the shortcomings of its current battery, the V8 is a better overall package, as you give up 300 watts nominal (significant for hill climbing) and ~4kmh speed with the V5 (I personally don't buy into the wheel size difference comparisons that others do).

Just remember, there is no promise of a V8 plus version releasing; all that talk originated on this forum based on user wishes and the history of all the various V5 permutations (V5/V5+/V5D/V5F/V5F+); InMotion has said nothing to this AFAIK. Plus they have other product line focuses right now that aren't one wheel units.

Thanks for the advice! I had pre-ordered my V8 and am waiting for it to reach me.

Hopefully the removable battery means we can install a more robust battery pack in for more ommph later.

Archived