Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh if only you could set the speakers up to make it sound like a big block Chevy as you speed down the road......... No chance of anyone stepping out I front of you then :-) 

Or perhaps even a 27litre Merlin: http://www.redsradiocontrol.com/freewing-rc-airplane-sound-system---realistic-merlin-engine-sound-1043-p.asp

Wow - that "spare" battery would be fun to log around ... At least it seems to be using the standard XT-60 plug, can't really see the other two though. Would be nice to know to be able to get correct plugs for charging the battery without the wheel. Thanks @houseofjob for adding those to the colelction here ;) 

Ditto, @houseofjob, thank you for posting those.

The first video answers a question I had been about to ask: "How bright is the headlight?" - bright enough for night riding by the look of it. It also seems to confirm the lack of a brake light. Like others here I find that very disappointing as I suspect it will be a requirement in some countries if or when they eventually legalise personal mobility device use. No amount of light show is likely to supercede a proper red rear light and brake light. As has been suggested before, being able to programme the sidelights to show white to the front, red to the rear and brighten for brake would help.

i wish the second video started a bit earlier, it would be nice to see exactly what is involved in changing a battery, however it does seem to confirm it isn't a simple: click out/click in like the Uniwheel, and KingSong 14B. Certainly as @HEC stated a cumbersome lump to carry as a spare.

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Nice find. 

My V8 sample is arriving mid-next week! I haven't been this excited since the V5F+s arrived last month :lol:

Greatttt.... We just need a nice video with a good bit of hill climbing thrown in, preferably riding next to a KS-16 ;-).

P.S. I haven't forgotten the V3, it's just going to take a while to steer my wife away from figuring she can only ride a Segway like device.

P.P.S, on some of your posts, like the Inmotion covers, your photos don't appear, looks like US guys can see them but I cannot. Can view them OK on your website: https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v3-protective-cover/

Yeah, the V8 battery encasing is a bit chunkier and more rudimentary looking than the Ninebot One S2 encasing, but changing out for both wheels looks about the same, as you need to de-shell both.

Front light for the V8 looks to be the same as the V5F+; nice and bright enough to let other people take note of you, but not enough strength from the rider perspective to completely see everything in your immediate path (as with most EUCs with headlights).

Is it me, or is anyone else seeing a red dot on the V8 rear (near where the charge port would be)?

14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Is it me, or is anyone else seeing a red dot on the V8 rear (near where the charge port would be)?

Yes - it's there - mentioned elsewhere as "lit logo" ... poor "replacement" for that rear light :( Looks like first mod would be adding some red LED patch to the back. Luckily there is plenty for RC models so it shouldn't be so difficult to find some suitable unobtrusive one ;) 

17 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

My V8 sample is arriving mid-next week! I haven't been this excited since the V5F+s arrived last month :lol:

*Books holiday flight to FL to "accidentally" bump into @Jason McNeil during his test ride* B)

16 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

In this area of Florida, the highest promontory is the municipal rubbish heap, seriously!  

Then it's time to visit the nearest fitness club and set the running belt to highest climb :D 

18 hours ago, Keith said:

As has been suggested before, being able to programme the sidelights to show white to the front, red to the rear and brighten for brake would help.

Sadly that would not help much during daylight as the LEDs are way too weak to be seen even from direct side direction, not mentioning from and wider angles or even from the back. It would help though at least during night rides.

14 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Yeah, the V8 battery encasing is a bit chunkier and more rudimentary looking than the Ninebot One S2 encasing, but changing out for both wheels looks about the same, as you need to de-shell both.

Looks like 2 or 3 screws / screw flaps are present plus 3 plugs to disconnect and it also depends how "tricky" it would be to remove the side panel. Hopefully @Jason McNeil will be able to clarify this soon once he'll receive his test wheel.

Few more pictures from "interweb":

HTB13OUnLXXXXXXEXFXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

HTB1PtwfLXXXXXaYXVXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

HTB1sskXLXXXXXXGaXXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg

HTB139PULXXXXXbzapXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

HTB1967ALXXXXXaMXXXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

Nice comparison to V5F's in last two pictures. And I bet @HunkaHunkaBurningLove would love to get his hands on those pants (suit?) in the first image ;) 

13 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Why do they need always this psychedelic light shows. Some info LEDs (battery level) is just enough. Keep it simple.

Yeah - frankly I'd prefer a proper tail / brake light like on V5F instead of this "flying circus". Luckily it seems to be possible to turn the light completely off via app. Maybe we can convince IM with help of @Jason McNeil to produce special "Westerner's" / Jason's version like that ;) 

On 8/5/2016 at 6:28 AM, Keith said:

Like others here I find that very disappointing as I suspect it will be a requirement in some countries if or when they eventually legalise personal mobility device use.

I wouldn't be too worried about brake light legislation. AFAIK Segways and electric bicycles have become legal without, or do you know any country where brake lights are necessary for any of those?

16 hours ago, Niko said:

I wouldn't be too worried about brake light legislation. AFAIK Segways and electric bicycles have become legal without, or do you know any country where brake lights are necessary for any of those?

I was thinking more of the red rear light than a brake light re: legislation  - in fact a rear reflector is also required on bicycles and the least we can expect is to have to meet cycle lighting requirements: http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations. Interesting that peddle reflectors are also now required in the UK, obviously interestingly ignored as well as their is nowhere to fit reflectors on the quick release type peddles everyone is using ever since we did well in the 2012 Olympics.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:54 PM, Keith said:

in fact a rear reflector is also required on bicycles and the least we can expect is to have to meet cycle lighting

reflexive tape does it for me, while mounting a reflector shouldn't a big deal either, compared to mounting lights, or even brake lights.

A missing rear light is indeed disappointing, almost hard to believe. 

Received the V8 battery pack this morning, need to confirm if this is the final design or pre-production.

There is a standard XT60 male connector, a pair of charging wires on the left, and what could be a BMS to CB data interface connection consisting of five wires. Can anyone think of another Wheel with a similar a similar wire setup?  

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjamE4RjhSR

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjS2RvYjdSZ

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjdE4zSURPO

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjbGRhZndfV

Apart from the protective shell, looks very similar to the V5F/+ battery pack

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjNjB4aWJCR

Archived