Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

13 hours ago, abinder3 said:

My iOS app looks like the above photos, but for some reason it still states "v6.0.0(144).  It updated on October 28.

Shouldn't it show a different version. (I believe that it was showing version "V6.0.0" even before the last update.

Same for my, i believe that IOS has different versioning than Android, that might be the reason of being different versions.

IOS updates are always coming after Android... IOS skips a few errors that are experience in Android probably.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Does it warn you if it loses tracking?   What happens?  Does it come to a stop?  I noticed where you were turned sharply at 1:07 and went the other direction there was a video cut.   Did it lose you for a moment?  That Mavic is so cool... :thumbup:

It will just stop and hover! My Mavic lost me during a sharp turn yesterday. Having an open area like @Brian Morris's is my destination this weekend. Also there are no side avoidance sensors so If sudden maneuvers are initiated the Mavic will sometimes fly sideways as it tries to keep you in the frame. This almost ended in a total disaster yesterday as it approached a telephone pole!

Tomorrow's test: sending up a 36" Mylar helium balloon with the Mavic auto tracking it:laughbounce2:

I wonder why it doesn't track the remote control unit in addition to visual tracking.  You would think if the target suddenly moves out of screen that it would switch to a backup locator to zero in on the remote.  It shouldn't get confused and end up tracking another person if you are wearing the same coloured clothes, would it?  Too bad it doesn't have some sort of collision sonar like they have on cars' rear bumpers to avoid objects.

36 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder why it doesn't track the remote control unit in addition to visual tracking.  You would think if the target suddenly moves out of screen that it would switch to a backup locator to zero in on the remote.  It shouldn't get confused and end up tracking another person if you are wearing the same coloured clothes, would it?  Too bad it doesn't have some sort of collision sonar like they have on cars' rear bumpers to avoid objects.

I was just thinking this.  it has GPS tracking in a separate mode.  it should combine the two.

I believe that if you want to track with the controller, you'll need something like a Yuneec drone.
(I have the Typhoon H and it will keep tracking me under the cover of trees, as long as you have it high enough to clear the tops of the trees.)

Allen

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That is another test, see if I can place the remote down once the tracking mode is initiated and have it follow me. It should work fine because once my image is captured and the Mavic altitude is manually set the controller becomes just a transmitter for the drone. I would not want to travel to far away from the transmitter just in case something does happen. The soon to be backrupt Lily drone does have the tracker you wear on your arm. 

Not entirely sure if the image it is tracking is digitized or what. Once I touch the iPhone screen on me the image, it just draws this orange rectangular box around my body from head to toes and follows. 

Online people are testing the range of the Mavic at 4 mile distances! Stupid!  I took it out 1 mile at 250 feet altitude before returning it home. Far enough for me but I still broke the FAA rules of the drone being out of visual sight. When Mavic did finally arrive home it was 250 feet above me, just a speck in the sky. It then just slowly descended. So wierd. If you did that with a real helicopter with no wind you could end up in a situation called 'settling with power'! Not good! 

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:34 PM, abinder3 said:

My iOS app looks like the above photos, but for some reason it still states "v6.0.0(144).  It updated on October 28.

Shouldn't it show a different version. (I believe that it was showing version "V6.0.0" even before the last update.

Can't really advice on the numbering (or anything else in general) of iOS app though there is usually a nit of delay between Android and iOS versions. The best "guide" is to look at the update notes at both versions to compare.

On 27.10.2016 at 3:18 PM, HEC said:

There was new Inmotion app released yesterday (6.2.1) with new / redesigned SCV screen but I must say I'm a bit unsure how to feel about this one ... 

<snip>

I personally find this version worse than the last one so I’ll most likely return to version 6.1.1 as it suits my needs better.  <snip>

I perfectly agree to your assessment and quickly installed 6.1.1 while waiting for my shiny new V8 to arrive. And - tadaaaa - today UPS made my day and delivered. Yet, none of my attempts to connect the 6.1.1 app with the wheel got me anywhere - it just simply never showed up on the SEARCH screen and any attempt with conventional pairing was refused by the wheel. After updating the app to 6.2.2 it immediately found the V8 and easily connected. Firmware on the V8 is 1.0.901.  I guess, that FW is not backward compatible with older app versions.

Other than that, everything's wonderful and I'm perfectly happy with my purchase. Ordered through aliexpress, the shipment arrived in less than 2 weeks, all customs fees taken care of by the seller as promised.

BTW: Along with the V8 I ordered the original inmotion protective cover with the little Bluetooth speaker. The cover is fine and should help keeping the shiny looks alive a bit longer. It has an opening for the front light, but covers the (already flimsy) rear light and the fairy lights on the sides. Don't expect any wonders from the BT speaker ... you need to be pretty desperate for your riding music to consider turning that thing on :blink:. It looks like it's rechargeable (mirco-USB; no charger or cable included). 

On 9/30/2016 at 3:48 PM, Rehab1 said:

V8 is protected! It took longer than the V5F+ due to the intricate contours and lines. To start with I rolled the wheel around on a padded surface to view all of the contact points that might become scratched if I dropped the wheel. I then applied  3/8 " wheel well molding on 90% of the shell . I then used some  3/4" carbon style molding across the top handle regions and then staggered 2 shorter pieces over the bottom surface of each foot pedal. Then came the comfort aspect while still providing protection to the upper calf portion of the shell. 3/8" molding was to uncomfortable on the inside of my shins since it stuck out to far. I decided to add 2 strips of the 3/4" carbon molding that was spaced far enough apart so my legs would fit comfortably between the molding strips. The ankle pads that came with the V8 are not really necessary as stated by @HEC in his excellent review so I decided to integrate them into the design by fastening them directly below the 3/4" carbon molding just to finish off the bottom of the strips.  I then capped off the top of the carbon strips with a thin 1/8" red molding strip. I did not have black in 1/4" as I would have preferred.  I plan to change out the red for black next week when it arrives. In any event it is protected. There are many versions of protective auto moldings on the market. Trial and error/ mixing and matching can become expensive. Most of the protective molding I used was from the V5F + project. The V8 is more difficult trying to follow all of the contours and still have the molding lye flat.

I'm looking forward to seeing other V8 protective techniques in the future.

UPDATE: here is where I purchased my molding: 

Below is the site I purchased the molding. You may be able to order from Amazon as well. 

http://cowlesproducts.com/protektotrim/fender-trim/

The black 3/8" molding is product # 37-631

The 1/4" red is product #  37-525

http://cowlesproducts.com/oldcontent/wp/protektotrim/color-molding/

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Will that protect the actual sides of the V8 ?

i just received mine yesterday and I'm worried that the area of the actual sides of the V8 will get scratched bad if it falls over or in the event I fall off. 

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:41 PM, Tilmann said:

After updating the app to 6.2.2 it immediately found the V8 and easily connected. Firmware on the V8 is 1.0.901.  I guess, that FW is not backward compatible with older app versions.

It's definitely compatible with the older versions of the app as I have the same FW since my V8 arrived (as per my review). It might be that older version of the app is incompatible with your phone/ unable to control BT LE module properly ...

13 minutes ago, HEC said:

It's definitely compatible with the older versions of the app as I have the same FW since my V8 arrived (as per my review). It might be that older version of the app is incompatible with your phone/ unable to control BT LE module properly ...

Thanks for the feedback! Phone is a xiaomi mi5 w/ Android 6. Didn't try anything else.

2 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Thanks for the feedback! Phone is a xiaomi mi5 w/ Android 6. Didn't try anything else.

With Android version 6 there is sometimes problem with app permission - it needs access to location services to be able to use BT LE (strangely) so you might try to check / allow that manually with older version of the app.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:07 PM, abinder3 said:

i just received mine yesterday and I'm worried that the area of the actual sides of the V8 will get scratched bad if it falls over or in the event I fall off. 

I'm sure @Rehab1 can answer better, but I would maybe do a simulation where you place the wheel sideways on the floor or carpet to see what areas are prone to contact.  During a fall, the wheel likely will go at all sorts of angles and spin out so you have to see where it could potentially contact the ground.  It looks like the pedals tend to tilt the wheel off the side during a fall so Rehab's got his protective strips located in smart locations.  I don't think you can guarantee it will never get scratched because there could be rocks or sidewalk curbs sticking up where there will be contact.  If you're very worried, pad the whole works up like what Chris Westland did with his IPS Zero:

On 11/5/2016 at 4:07 PM, abinder3 said:

46 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm sure @Rehab1 can answer better, but I would maybe do a simulation where you place the wheel sideways on the floor or carpet to see what areas are prone to contact.  During a fall, the wheel likely will go at all sorts of angles and spin out so you have to see where it could potentially contact the ground.  It looks like the pedals tend to tilt the wheel off the side during a fall so Rehab's got his protective strips located in smart locations.  I don't think you can guarantee it will never get scratched because there could be rocks or sidewalk curbs sticking up where there will be contact.  If you're very worried, pad the whole works up like what Chris Westland did with his IPS Zero:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love is correct that you should roll your wheel around on it's side on a firm foam surface or carpet and visualize where the contact points are in a simulated fall. The profile of the protective molding I used is 3/8 thick. Unless you are riding on a heavy stone road the molding will protect it!

Also if you look closely at the photo I placed the shin pad just above the Inmotion logo to protect the center of the case.

If you are truly worried about dumping your new V8 use a tether strap similar to the one I used on my NB1. Loop it around the handle of your V8 (make sure your handle switch is turned off) and loosely stick the other end into your belt. You can then easily grab the strap if you begin to fall and it will reduce the fear of scratching your beautiful new wheel! 

Every EUC has it's own idiosyncratic quirks so don't be embarrassed to use the strap. Just don't hold onto it!!!:P

nb strap1gif.gif

IMG_3717.jpg

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks !!!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love is correct that you should roll your wheel around on it's side on a firm foam surface or carpet and visualize where the contact points are in a simulated fall. The profile of the protective molding I used is 3/8 thick. Unless you are riding on a heavy stone road the molding will protect it!

Also if you look closely at the photo I placed the shin pad just above the Inmotion logo to protect the center of the case.

If you are truly worried about dumping your new V8 use a tether strap similar to the one I used on my NB1. Loop it around the handle of your V8 (make sure your handle switch is turned off) and loosely stick the other end into your belt. You can then easily grab the strap if you begin to fall and it will reduce the fear of scratching your beautiful new wheel! 

Every EUC has it's own idiosyncratic quirks so don't be embarrassed to use the strap. Just don't hold onto it!!!:P

nb strap1gif.gif

IMG_3717.jpg

Thanks !!!

Thanks to whomever suggested a guitar stand for the V8 when it's not in use.  I picked up a nice foldable guitar stand from "Guitar Center" for $15.  

I think I'll be able to put it in a tripod bad with a strap, throw it over my shoulder when I'm riding the V8, and then when I stop I can easily take out the foldable guitar stand to use it to hold the V8 in place. 

The stand is also good to hold the V8 in place when it's powered up to program the lights.  If it isn't exactly in the vertical position, the V8 will rotate in the stand without scratching it because of the sponge padding on the stand. 

This is the one that I picked up:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/FretRest-by-Proline/Electric-Folding-A-Frame-Guitar-Stand.gc

IMG_2627.PNG

On 10/18/2016 at 3:16 AM, Noillek said:

Hi all,

Just received a brand new V8 this past Friday... coming from a V5F (amazing wheel), fell immediately the same quality on the V8, great wheel,more stable, more comfortable... but at the same time less reactive, is like everything takes longer, acceleration, turning, braking.

Went to do my groceries yesterday as always did with the V5F, and decided to pass a bicycle in front of me by doing a hard acceleration from 15km/h, 58% Battery level and 24C temperature... the wheel accelerate but didn't even tilt-back drooped flat out in the ground immediately, sliding on the road similar like a motorbike crash, luckily I fell face down but on top of the groceries bag and besides a small burn on my hand and allot of scratches on a brand new V8 nothing major happen.

I remember that i did similar accelerations over and over again with my V5F even with less battery or after longer time riding and never had anything similar, do you guys have any explanation of what might have happen? Will keep trying to test the limits of the wheel to see what is going on with this model, start to regret that i sold my V5F... will keep doing some tests but if it proves what im affraid of V5F+ might still be the best option if you want increased range, maybe just replace the pedals for bigger one for the comfort and sacrifice the 5km/h additional that you have on the V8.

well geez... your scaring me now... I dont have that problem.. Trust me before giving it off to my wife i did a test.. Coming from a Gotway where you can lean farther than Michael Jackson doing the moon walk.. I got the tiltback and was fine... @houseofjob maybe he can chime in on this.. But from me experience with this wheel I was comfortable giving it to her with zero worries......

1 hour ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

well geez... your scaring me now... I dont have that problem.. Trust me before giving it off to my wife i did a test.. Coming from a Gotway where you can lean farther than Michael Jackson doing the moon walk.. I got the tiltback and was fine... @houseofjob maybe he can chime in on this.. But from me experience with this wheel I was comfortable giving it to her with zero worries......

@Tishawn Fahie We crossed this bridge here and here already. I imagine Gotway you can lean harder as Gotway/KingSong response is softer comparatively, but main thing is, esp for newbies, there's no such thing as "harder accelerations" on any EUC because you are flirting with the overlean / overpower cutout threshold.

Archived