Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

fully charged is 84 volts....20x4.2...nominal is 3.6/3.7x 20...72/74 volts...

Which kind of MOSFETs are used? 75 V is standard. Back EMF could be higher than 72/74 V.  Regenerative brake voltage could be on which level?

Some more technical details, questions are mine with Inmotion responses:

• At 30kph is there enough confidence that there will be enough torque from the motor to support a heavy rider?----Generally it can be work with enough and stable torque on 25kph to support a heavy rider in safe,from manufacturer advice.
  • What are the voltage thresholds for low-battery (limp-home-mode) & out-of-battery?----68V
  • How much power is the control-board rated for? Is it exposed to the Wheel housing to allow for more effective cooling? Does the V5F use a larger heatsink than the previous V5 model?----550W.   V5F have heatsink as normal version in this industry,and it is effect cooling enough under thousands test.
  • At what temperature does the control-board overheat? What is the behaviour when this condition is reached?----80℃。When arrive at this top temperature the V5F will slow down itself,and when reduce inner temperature to normal in low speed,it can run on high speed again to keep running safe.
  • What are the type of MOSFETs are used, brand/model? ---- IRF100B202
  • When attaining maximum speed, is the tilt-back behaviour progressive to prevent the user from overpowering the Wheel? ---- Yes,it will have tilt-back behaviour progressive
  • How many hours has the development team spent so far on testing the prototype? ----  V5F test for about 4 months,accumulated distance is about 3000KM,to ensure stable performance

About the speed, out-of-the-box it's 25kph, but there will be a future FW upgrade to 27kph, originally the specs were 30kph, then scaled back. At maximum speed it feels very controlled, don't think there's any concern running at 27kph.

10 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

While many of us may not be so mesmerized by the bling LEDs, let's not forget that contributors of this forum represented like 0.01% of the general population. To the average consumer, LEDs play a far more vital element to a decision to part with their cash than any performance related stat.

I met my wife in college, she wanted to buy a new car. I asked, "What kind of car do you want?" She said, "A blue one." :D So yeah, we probably have a longer and more detailed wish list than the average consumer.

wonder if it's better to have the metal logo emblem on the underside of the pedal so that it shows when it's folded up. having the metal emblem ON the pedal with anti slip material seems to contradict this. and the emblem will also not be visible if you are going to be stepping over it. 

2 hours ago, Shane Tan said:

wonder if it's better to have the metal logo emblem on the underside of the pedal so that it shows when it's folded up. having the metal emblem ON the pedal with anti slip material seems to contradict this. and the emblem will also not be visible if you are going to be stepping over it. 

Although it might look like metal, they're actually made of rubber. The emblems protect the shell from getting marked by the metal footpads when closed. 

18 minutes ago, thefork said:

Although it might look like metal, they're actually made of rubber. The emblems protect the shell from getting marked by the metal footpads when closed. 

thanks for explaining. looks like i misunderstood them.

8 minutes ago, TremF said:

Looks nice but too many LED's and too shiny? :)

Matt black with LEDs turned off would look good though! :)

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

About the battery packs: that's the plan, send as many as these out to US immediately, then fly the V8s without the packs when available at the end of next month. 

At least in UK / EU it will be for now less troublesome ... Hopefully we'll see some nice pre-order offers from @Jason McNeil soon as well ;)

18 hours ago, johrhoj said:

Looks beautiful.

The advertised range of 45 to 50 km will probably be more like 30-35 in real world conditions. Still very good for a wheel of less then 14 kg.

I wonder if the replacable batteries are easily replaced. E.g. can you double your range by taking a spare set with you ...

I agree the real range is much less, with my ks16 680Wh I'm at 40-45km when batteries are down to 25%, and then with batteries so low you cannot ask nominal performances in speed,acceleration,..etc.

you can change the pack here, but I do not think it's for free, it will cost you around 3-400€

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

3.jpg

@Jason McNeil What's the deal with that InMotion SCV V8 piece opposite the handle? Is that the removable battery?

That's just a "symmetrical" gap in the casing to match the handle on other side and used to put in the product label. To replace / take out the battery you'd need to take of the whole side panel as it's fairly thick and sitting in the whole top arch of the casing.

19 hours ago, houseofjob said:

10lbs lighter than the KS-16B, and I'm guessing(?)

It's exactly 3 Kg (6.6 lbs) difference in the weight which - if you'd carry a spare pack of about 1.5 Kg still saves a bit.

What does the charging plug look like? With 80V that might be an issue in western markets, I don't think the voltage inside the device matters much. One interesting thing no one has done yet would be to use the motor and half bridge as a voltage regulator, in theory you can set it up so it could be charged by much lower voltage power supplies. 

25 minutes ago, WaveCut said:

What kind of MOSFET's used in V8? Is it the same IRF100B202 as in V5F?

I guess so at least based on the reply @Jason McNeil copied here from another V5F+ thread.

1 minute ago, lizardmech said:

What does the charging plug look like? With 80V that might be an issue in western markets, I don't think the voltage inside the device matters much. One interesting thing no one has done yet would be to use the motor and half bridge as a voltage regulator, in theory you can set it up so it could be charged by much lower voltage power supplies. 

Looks like the same charger (by the specs) and most likely also the plug as in V5F(+):

If it's that same plug it will be an issue, I was looking into 80V power tools a while ago, they solved the problem by putting 3x 24V pins on the plug, inside the device it connected them in series so they provided the 80V+ to charge it.

9 minutes ago, lizardmech said:

If it's that same plug it will be an issue, I was looking into 80V power tools a while ago, they solved the problem by putting 3x 24V pins on the plug, inside the device it connected them in series so they provided the 80V+ to charge it.

You mean because of EU LVD DC limit of 75V?

No, once you go over 60V the regulations on electrical plugs become very strict in most countries. It's ok to have higher voltages inside the device but for external connectors it makes more sense to just keep them under 60V.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:11 PM, lizardmech said:

No, once you go over 60V the regulations on electrical plugs become very strict in most countries. It's ok to have higher voltages inside the device but for external connectors it makes more sense to just keep them under 60V.

Well but that will then affect basically any EUC with 15 or more cells (63V+). The plug on Inmotions seems much safer than standard GX-16 sockets with fully exposed pins used on most current EUCs. The middle + pin on Inmotion DC plug is hidden and under "surface" of the rest of the plug so unless you'll poke it with sharp metal object to reach it will not be possible to directly touch it.

2 hours ago, HEC said:

It's exactly 3 Kg (6.6 lbs) difference in the weight which - if you'd carry a spare pack of about 1.5 Kg still saves a bit.

Ah, thought for some reason the KS-16B was 40 lbs, not the actual 37 lbs. Either way, from my experience, once you go 30 lbs and above, the wheel weights don't feel that different, they all feel about the same degree of heaviness...

Archived