Gotway MCM4 Unable To Start

milkmalks

So yesterday, I was riding my wheel around. After I ran over a rubber deflated ball and it got stuck under the tire. I couldn't get it out so then I tried lifting up the wheel and shift it forward so that the wheel starts moving. Although the wheel wasn't able to rotate, I tried again but then the wheel started smoking. I think it's because the MOSFETS couldn't handle the wattage and power for the wheel to start spinning from that blockage. The wheel could still turn on at that point but I left it off as I carried, walking about a km home. That night, I tried turning it back on, after a few seconds, BAMN! Shut off, unable to turn it back on :(.

However I did remove that rubber ball out of the insides of the euc. Although I'm unhappy that the wheel still can't turn on. What do I do now? Leave it, buy a new motherboard, is there anything I could do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance. :) 

Hi,

It seems indeed that when you tried to rotate the wheel, the mosfets couldn't handle the overcharge. You should open the wheel and take a picture of the motherboard to see what has burned before doing anything else.

When a motor get's stuck, one should never force the motor to spin. It happens in Rc modelling, with cars, with washing machines...it's not really the EUC fault from my point of view.

If you know a little bit about soldering and electronics, you could try to replace the clearly burnt mosfet (with the same model as what the original was), but there's no telling if other components have gotten damaged / destroyed too, the damage is not always obvious from the outside. Probably need to get a new mainboard.

Should you choose to try replacing the mosfet, make sure that you insulate the metal "back"-part properly from the heatsink (ie. something in-between that conducts heat but not electricity). Even if it works after replacement, I still wouldn't put too much trust in home-refurbished board ;):P  Especially as there's no telling if there is other damage somewhere, that might manifest only later on...

I noticed there was more burnt parts in the board. Decided to purchase a new one. Thanks for all your help guys! Learned my lesson to never run the wheel while something is stopping it, or leaning my self to the wall and applying force to the wheel.

Archived