E+ Tyre - worn out or not ?

Roue Libre

On 9/21/2016 at 2:56 PM, YaocH said:

Have just swapped out the original Kenda 16 x 2.125 tire for a set of new Kenda K-rad k905 thread pattern 16 x 2.125 60psi. Can be bought from bmxguru. Went for a quick ride at speed along urban roads. The thread isn't too extreme but at speed, a slight hum can be heard as compared to the original kenda. Slight buzz through the foot plates too. 

The grip: phenomenal. Being a cylindrical profile tire (the thread wraps around) the grip at high speed along paved concrete and asphalt is really good as these tire thread are in contact with the road surface at all imaginable angles of sideways lean. Good cornering abilities. Wheel feels planted and on rails.

Have not gone onto dusty paths. Will report back when I do. Highly recommended thus far IMG_20160919_225340.jpgIMG_20160920_184417.jpg

Have ridden close to 100km in these new shoes for my Ninebot and am positively thrilled by their grip and performance. I have tried a mixture of conditions and the results are reported below:

1) Dry / Wet concrete - Positive grip and bite and very confident even in high speed slaloms, Very maneuverable in low speed situations. Was forced to make an emergency brake together with a slight left turn at full whack like my life depended on it and it braked hard and well. Felt wheel slip a little two times doing that maneuver but tire instantly regained traction (maybe just a small sandy patch that I skidded across?) and I continued on without putting a foot down (pure luck maybe) after coming to an almost complete stop.

2) Dry grass - Very good grip and bite as well. Couldn't try higher speeds due to uneven ground. Have not tried wet grass yet.

3) Dry hard packed sand / dusty concrete conditions - Seems reasonably grippy even on a reasonable side slope. Have not skidded but have not accelerated / decelerated hard on them either.

4) Deep and extremely fine sand - Wheelspin but was able to slide around and got out without falling (pure luck) Tire has little grip in such situations

I am 70kg without gear and always ride at ~65psi. The ride is harsh and you definitely feel even the littlest of imperfections in the road. But I feel like I'm maximising the range out of the ninebot (get about 22km from Full to 50%) and it makes me happy; that's what matters most.

4 hours ago, YaocH said:

I am 70kg without gear and always ride at ~65psi. The ride is harsh and you definitely feel even the littlest of imperfections in the road. But I feel like I'm maximising the range out of the ninebot (get about 22km from Full to 50%) and it makes me happy; that's what matters most.

22 km to 50% battery?  :blink:  I'm a bit heavier at 76 kg, but I'd be hitting the low battery tiltback after 22 km.  I ride at 50-55 psi though with some hill climbing...

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

22 km to 50% battery?  :blink:  I'm a bit heavier at 76 kg, but I'd be hitting the low battery tiltback after 22 km.  I ride at 50-55 psi though with some hill climbing...

Yeap 22km to about 50%. Another similar run along the same route few days back was 20km to 57% so that's about what I'm getting mostly. I travel on really flat terrain at close to the limit of 20kph mostly as I usually ride on dedicated cycling paths. Only slow down occasionally to cross junctions.

The slightly slow speed and short-ish range is starting to bug me (the upgrade bug). How's your use on the Ninebot and do you have another wheel?

Wow, on my NB1E+ I got just about 20km from 100% to 20%. And that is on quite flat roads and not max speed. How long can you go? 30 - 35km?

4 hours ago, rolauk said:

Wow, on my NB1E+ I got just about 20km from 100% to 20%. And that is on quite flat roads and not max speed. How long can you go? 30 - 35km?

I usually hate to travel on the ninebot when it starts tilt back due to low battery so I charge it up when it's slightly below 50%. I'm surprised others are not getting the same mileage as I am coz when I'm at full charge the meter indicates that I can go only go 23km which made me think I had a lemon of a battery and got the short end of the stick. 

Will probably use a fitness app to track and post back subsequently. Might run it down a little more just to see how far it goes. I'd figure somewhere close to 30km sounds about right. 

On September 29, 2016 at 2:56 AM, YaocH said:

Yeap 22km to about 50%. Another similar run along the same route few days back was 20km to 57% so that's about what I'm getting mostly. I travel on really flat terrain at close to the limit of 20kph mostly as I usually ride on dedicated cycling paths. Only slow down occasionally to cross junctions.

The slightly slow speed and short-ish range is starting to bug me (the upgrade bug). How's your use on the Ninebot and do you have another wheel?

I have a moderate hill climb about 1 km in length plus one steep shorter climb of about 200 m on my route plus extra weight likely explains the difference.  On my app when charged it shows 27 km, but I find that around 22 km is where things get dicey.  I posted a shorter run in the 9bmetrics thread.  I average about 20 kph with 26 kph peaks.

On the topic of changing tyres... Are there any way to change the tyre without voiding the warranty? I've noticed one of the screws that hold the central white plate to the wheel has a little sticker over it to prove that it hasn't been tampered with. Is there a way aroundd that screw?

Did you get that rubbing noise taken care of @Gormash?  You might try contacting your seller to see what they say as I'm sure they can't void a warranty just because a customer wants to change a tire?  Say someone gets a flat running over a nail after owning the wheel for two weeks?

1 hour ago, Gormash said:

On the topic of changing tyres... Are there any way to change the tyre without voiding the warranty? I've noticed one of the screws that hold the central white plate to the wheel has a little sticker over it to prove that it hasn't been tampered with. Is there a way aroundd that screw?

That would have to come off to change the tire.  I'm with @HunkaHunkaBurningLove, contact your dealer and let them know you need to change the tire and see what they say.  I believe if it's on record, you are covered.  But please verify first.

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Did you get that rubbing noise taken care of @Gormash?

Yes, that noise stopped by itself a short time after I started using it. Must have been something stuck inside that managed to slip out without me ever finding out what it was.

Archived