E+ Tyre - worn out or not ?

Roue Libre

Hi all !

I have been riding almost 500km on my Ninebot E+ and I wonder how often the tyre should be replaced. After 1000km ? 2000km ? How can I see if the tyre is worn out ?

Kind regards

i think 500 km might still be ok...Basically you can look at the tire and see if the pattern on it has worn out or not, and how deep it is. Also, obviously if you notice your tire started skidding, especially on wet pavement, it may be time to change it. Just dont let it go bald. I dont know the exact answer how often it should be changed, and it may depend on the particular tire, and the terrain you ride on, but i'd think that somewhere between 500-1000km may be time. Right now my tire is kinda bold on the spot where it touches the pavement the most, but the sides of it are still ok.

basically if you ride at slow to medium speeds, even high speed on regular asphalt, even a worn out tire should be ok, but once it gets slippery/ wet, here is when the worn out tire may not do the job.

Also, even if for safety reasons the tire is still ok, riding on a worn out tire will feel different from riding on new. With a new tire, you will be riding on smaller surface area, so the control of the wheel will be more responsive, it will feel like you are riding on butter. As the tire wears out, there is more surface in contact with pavement, you should notice the difference.

here is a picture of mine, still good at the sides/ edges but worn out in the middle. Still riding fine.

i did slip on an oil spot at a gas station recently though....

2n1t0gh.jpg

28 minutes ago, Rotator said:

Mine is in good state. Near 5000 km.

Kenda brand. It appears to be undestructible.

5000km on the same tire and still not worn out? Thats impressive! What do you ride on, butter?:blink: mine is kenda also and all worn out in the middle after no more than 1000km. 

Hmm i guess friction is also a function of weight. How much do you weigh?

5000km on a ninebot that's impressive.

Cloud I think it depends on your weight and tyre pressure, for a bike it's usual to go up to 7000km on the same tires if you don't go too fast and ride on smooth roads.

About 72kg.

Most of time riding on city sidewalks.

And on high modes. I began in mode 0 but several weeks before, I started to increase the mode.

Now I ride in mode 9. Very smooth. Less acceleration equals less worn out...

I am on my third tyre after about 2400 Km. For me, I prefer to change my tyre before the two central grip lines get too faint and I can certainly feel the difference between a new and worn tyre. 

Below is a photo of my current tyre - I'll change it very soon as part of scheduled maintenance. You can see that there is a lot more wear on one side than the other - most probably due to spending so much time spinning around in circles on one leg more than the other :) . In it's current state, I notice that the ride is sub-optimal when doing fast slalom cone practice and also when riding on an unsealed surface or when riding on some of the older skate park surfaces and paving stones. As I like trying to do tricks, I want to ensure that the tyre grip is a controllable/predictable variable.

I use a tyre change as an opportunity to check some other internal parts (E.g. Inner shell fixings and the condition of the wheel rim).

Tyre_Worn.jpg

For comparison a new tyre:

tyre_new.jpg

It means that you change your tire after 800km, and it looks like that ? I am at 700km with my wheel, it still seems good, the rubber not worn out at all..it doesn't seem normal for me unless you are very heavy.

Maybe it's because you do tricks like 360, jumping, fast acceleration, fast turns. What is your wheel model ?

My tire, it's very dirty don't pay attention ^^

DSC_0001.JPG

Hi, I have an E+ (and always use Kenda Tyres). I weigh around 80Kg. I expect the way I treat/use my wheel has a lot to do with the fast consumption of tyres (as well as various other parts which frequently require replacing - I go through a foot plate in about a month and a half, even after swapping them over to increase their lifespan).

@Pingouin - The tyre tread on your wheel looks different, perhaps your tyre is made of a more longer-lasting compound? 

Thanx for your replies ! I think 700-800km will be a good time to replace, because I sometimes ride off-road (like parks and small paths with stones), so it gets worn out a bit faster than regular asphalt.

Happy rides to all

Jonathan, it's written "e-bike" on the tyre, so it must be for small foldable ebikes. My wheel is a "14".

Roue libre, I don't really know if at 700-800km it is necessary to change the tyre, with mine I go everywhere, forest, asphal, bumpy roads, dirt....still is in good shape. I think the best indicator to know when to change the tyre, is just to look at it :)

I like this tire as it wears very long and has superior grip.  $21.75 US

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Hookworm-BMX-Tire-16X1-95/dp/B00188A1LG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469463215&sr=1-1&keywords=maxxis+hookworm+16x1.95

As you can see from these photos, I ride my wheel gently.  But I've got around 400km on the tire now and you can barely see any wear. (THESE photos were taken the day of installation)

13096201_225973191114035_416316914068574654_n.jpg

13177563_225973177780703_7747272725129011095_n.jpg

13124878_225973587780662_4568966186322371959_n.jpg

13119117_225973171114037_4874170167402517556_n.jpg

12716428_188710008173687_4926064796006214778_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Want to share my experience with Hookworm and ask if anybody had similar issues, after changing tire my Ninebot E+ became very unstable, more noticeable so on a rough terrain(with a little sand) or uneven pavement, at lower speed wheel randomly tends to skid from side to side, at higher speed it's less noticeable, thru the week I tried different pressures(at lower it behaves better) but didn't get same predictable control like with original tire, so today I changed it back and it feels good :) Just don't understand why it sucked for my Ninebot. Also original tire has an arrow to point in which direction it should rotate, hookworm doesn't but maybe for one wheel orientation matters?  

When I changed for a Hookworm (4.1 bar - 59 PSI), I was also disturbed by the unsteadiness of my 9B1. A few hours later, you don't even think about it. I am now at 3.8 bar, for comfort.

• 1 month later...

Have just swapped out the original Kenda 16 x 2.125 tire for a set of new Kenda K-rad k905 thread pattern 16 x 2.125 60psi. Can be bought from bmxguru. Went for a quick ride at speed along urban roads. The thread isn't too extreme but at speed, a slight hum can be heard as compared to the original kenda. Slight buzz through the foot plates too. 

The grip: phenomenal. Being a cylindrical profile tire (the thread wraps around) the grip at high speed along paved concrete and asphalt is really good as these tire thread are in contact with the road surface at all imaginable angles of sideways lean. Good cornering abilities. Wheel feels planted and on rails.

Have not gone onto dusty paths. Will report back when I do. Highly recommended thus far IMG_20160919_225340.jpgIMG_20160920_184417.jpg

Archived