Anyone has traveled by plane with their Ninebot mini or minipro ?

Going to travel from US to France and checked the TSA and FAA , the lithium in the battery is over the limit allowed.

My only recourse is to remove the battery and ship it. or order a new battery and have it delivered in France 

What is the cost of a spare battery delivered to France ?

Thank you

EL

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

They are about half the price of the mini - not cheap to buy. 

http://www.speedyfeet.uk/Ninebot-Mini-PRO-Battery-p/mini-pro-battery.htm

You'd be better off buying a whole new Mini Pro, then selling it before you head home - depending on how long you're staying in France.

Waooo £324.95 = $426  for the battery that's crazy.

I will just crack open the damn battery pack and remove the cell , than just buy new cells.

Xiaomi-Ninebot-Segway-mini-self-balancing-scooter-battery-pack[1].jpg

I am sorry but I don't think your idea is easy to do since the cells are soldered together and to the BMS. See pictures here:

http://forum.urban360.com/index.php?/topic/720-lintérieur-de-la-batterie-dun-ninebot-xiaomi-mini/&do=findComment&comment=10141

Your best option, apart from Scully's tip (buy a unit and sell it), is to buy a Chinese battery replacement from Aliexpress and have it delivered to France. I guess that will set you back roughly 120 USD. And you will not be able to use the Ninebot app battery status/data as with the original battery.

But on the other hand, buying cells isn't exactly free either ;-)

Good luck and report back how you solved it!

• 3 weeks later...

The general limit for Lithium batteries is 100Wh, and with special permission from the airlines up 160Wh. (Has to be agreed in advance.) The max  amount is two battery packs of above capacities. Regulations and policies may differ between airline companies but most follow these limits.

The Mini battery is 236Wh (Mini pro is 320Wh) so taking a Mini battery on an airplane is not possible. And they check thoroughly, beleive me. All checked luggage is also scanned, multiple times.

A business opportunity could be to produce travel batteries of 100 Wh and sell them in lots of 2, ie 2x100Wh so people could travel     (fly) with their Minis, and charge one battery while using the other. 

Or maybe the battery design could allow to connect two small (100 Wh) batteries together and attach them to the Mini together so we would get a 200Wh capacity.

Traveling with a Mini would also require a good travel case in order to protect it during transportation. We all know how gently airport personnel handle our suitcases ?.

The main question is how big the market / need is for this kind of travel use. The Mini weighs 12kg and takes up quite a lot of space so flying with it is definitely not for everyone.

It seems the 300Wh limit is for wheelchairs and other devices for people with disabilities.

In fact, our beloved Ninebot Minis are not allowed onboard at all ?: 

"Notice regarding hoverboards

Please note that in the interest of safety for our customers and employees, we do not accept hoverboards as checked or carry-on baggage."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/default.aspx?Mobile=1&uamobile=1

Guidelines for electronic equipment in general :

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/dangerous.aspx?Mobile=1

Link to the  IATA (International Air Transport Association) Lithium Battery Guidance Document:

https://www.icra2016.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2016/04/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2016-en.pdf

10 hours ago, ATH said:

It seems the 300Wh limit is for wheelchairs and other devices for people with disabilities.

In fact, our beloved Ninebot Minis are not allowed onboard at all ?: 

"Notice regarding hoverboards

Please note that in the interest of safety for our customers and employees, we do not accept hoverboards as checked or carry-on baggage."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/default.aspx?Mobile=1&uamobile=1

Guidelines for electronic equipment in general :

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/dangerous.aspx?Mobile=1

Link to the  IATA (International Air Transport Association) Lithium Battery Guidance Document:

https://www.icra2016.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2016/04/lithium-battery-guidance-document-2016-en.pdf

fyi. segway minipro is UL 2272 certified and not a hoverboard. see rep for segway discussing this last month on New Screen Savers show 

Well I don't want to argue with you, but in the minds of airlines, airport security and others, balancing devices of all kinds are very often referred to as "hoverboards".

Google it and you'll find:

"... has issued the first safety certification to the UL 2272 safety requirements for electrical systems of self-balancing scooters (aka hoverboards)... "

Even if a hoverboard or other self balancing device as a Ninebot Mini has been UL 2272 certified, it does not automatically grant users to bring them them on airplanes. The limit for maximum Wh still applies, and the Ninebot Mini and Mini Pro are way over that limit.

So will you be able to fly with it - the simple answer is NO!

I took the chance and just put the battery in my carry on with my computer and all my other electronic devices, (power adapter , cables ) and the dismantled mini in my checked luggage.

And ... passed no problem no question.

As backup plan I had a FedEx label and packaging with me in case I was refused at the security, I was planning to gamble at shipping the battery.

in Summary ... Airport security is a big "farce"

12 hours ago, el31415 said:

I took the chance and just put the battery in my carry on with my computer and all my other electronic devices, (power adapter , cables ) and the dismantled mini in my checked luggage.

As backup plan I had a FedEx label and packaging with me in case I was refused at the security, I was planning to gamble at shipping the battery.

That's great! can u share what airline airport u had this experience?

18 hours ago, el31415 said:

Congrats! I am happy you made it to France with your Ninebot. 

Hope you get some good mileage ? 

4 hours ago, ATH said:

Congrats! I am happy you made it to France with your Ninebot. 

Hope you get some good mileage ? 

It is a gift for my nephew , bought it on Amazon at the "fire sale"  only to see the price reduced on amazon and amazon Fance to the same price as the so called fire sale rice.

If I knew , I would have just ordered on Amazon.fr and avoided all these worries.

and the amazon.fr comes with a 2 years euro warranty vs 6 month usa warranty on battery ...and 1 year electronic part.

On 22 augusti 2016 at 5:27 AM, el31415 said:

It is a gift for my nephew , bought it on Amazon at the "fire sale"  only to see the price reduced on amazon and amazon Fance to the same price as the so called fire sale rice.

If I knew , I would have just ordered on Amazon.fr and avoided all these worries.

and the amazon.fr comes with a 2 years euro warranty vs 6 month usa warranty on battery ...and 1 year electronic part.

Well you never know beforehand, right? Just be happy that they did not confiscate you pack at airport security.

I was in China this spring and they checked every battery for capacity  in the carry on luggage, even power banks for phones.

So I never dared to bring a Mini battery through airport security since I did not want to risk confiscation. (Considered as dangerous goods).

Instead I tried to ship two battery packs out of China with normal postal service and couriers (DHL, UPS etc). None of them would ship my package since Lithium Battery shipment require proper documentation that only a producer or distributor/reseller would have access to. 

In the end I managed to find a forwarder on Aliexpress that accepted to ship my batteries.

You got off easy :-)

11 hours ago, ATH said:

Well you never know beforehand, right? Just be happy that they did not confiscate you pack at airport security.....

I had the confiscation covered , I had a pre printed fedex shipping label , and went way early to check in with plenty of time if needed to exit .in the event of any trouble and if I couldn't  talk my way through, was going to exit and just ship it fedex as electronic parts and not mention any battery.

but luckily they let it pass...

On 23/08/2016 at 10:39 PM, ATH said:

them would ship my package since Lithium Battery shipment require proper documentation that only a producer or distributor/reseller would have access to. 

@ATH

Do you think are these officials documents (FCC NINEBOT MINI PRO BATTERY)  with IATA and US ?

0.PNG

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

You can call it whatever you want , the mini pro battery is over the allowed limit in lithium and Wh. and cannot travel in passenger airplane . Unless allowed in cabin by the airline(good luck with that)

I did a lot of  research and the only way to "transport " overseas is by sneaking it in PERIOD.

Or by grounds with the proper packaging and labeling.

if I knew before hand, I would have never bought it in the USA but just order it on Amazon.fr and have it delivered directly to my nephew.

Archived