The Ninebot Mini is more dangerous than riding an EUC

Just here to give my opinions on the Ninebot Mini and why its a more dangerous than any other EUCs and see if anyone else here agrees with me.

The argument:

Last year before Christmas I bought a Ninebot Mini I had a go on it and realized not only was it less fun because you were required to go in a straight line but significantly more dangerous over riding any EUC. In fact I think the Mini should be speed limited to only 10-12km/h max and not 18!

When riding at higher speeds and the floor is uneven you are having to adjust your body to the way the road is. For example when you ride on a slope where your only ONE of your wheels are lower or higher you would have to tilt to the direction that is higher to remain balance. For eg: If you are riding on the side walk and on your left there is a wheel chair ramp making the left wheel dip lower than the right wheel for a short bit you will have to quickly adjust your body to the right so remain balance if you stood still you will lose control. 

The other concern is that when you do so to maintain your centre of gravity you could knock that pole that controls the left or right, this has also become a major issue when riding on uneven surfaces. Unlike riding on an EUC the centre of gravity is between your foot at the point where the wheel hits the floor making it easy to glide over rougher terrains. On the Ninebot mini you are forced to adjust your body to the way the terrain is much more than what is required from an EUC. 

The benefit however of the Ninebot Mini is that you are able to pick it up quickly, and stand in place really easily. In short...after owning the Ninebot Mini I quickly sold it(without even owning it for 2 weeks) knowing the dangers that would possess with it and made a hefty profit during the Christmas season.

My first actual post on the forum, thanks for reading :)

Jack :)

Hey Jack, and welcome!

I haven't been on a Ninebot Mini but I could imagine those being problems like you mentioned. The two-wheel Airwheels like the Q3 have the same problem with riding on uneven ground. For most people the big obstacle for the single-wheel EUC is the learning curve. You have to be willing to look foolish for a while. It came naturally for me (the looking foolish part not the riding skill).

Riding the Mini Pro on transverse slopes is indeed the trickiest terrain to handle.  But you just have to develop ski-like postures to deal with it.  Dangerous?  Well, I've completed 100km without an actual fall, riding on very uneven sidewalks, tilting cycle paths, and unmade paths through parks.  The worst that has happened to me (so far) was stepping onto the Mini Pro and straight off again forwards, when I mounted it on a transverse slope, not having learned that it's important to first turn the device so it is pointing uphill, then get on.

See this video for some lads managing various slopes pretty well.  Ok, they've edited out the falls, but still, it's impressive!

for

I own both and I actually support this BUT only if you own both.  Reason?  They require different centers of gravity shifts.     If you're used to riding an EUC, then ride the mini, you have learned to shift your body opposite direction of what is required on the mini.    I actually had to bail on my mini yesterday as I came down a tricky walkway slope because I shifted as I would have on my NB P.     This was MY fault, not the mini.   Right now, I am staying away from the NB P euc and just riding the mini to ensure my brain can learn the required center of gravity shifts on the mini.

More dangerous?  Only if you've ridden and are fluent on a EUC.   As I get more comfortable on the mini,  terrain and slope become more intuitive.  It takes longer if you've ridden an EUC.   Now if you are going to compare the ability of the euc to navigate road obstacles easier, yes, but that is because it's a different vehicle.  

I'm loving the mini pro and can't wait to achieve the "no think" one with body moment

Well, i'm agree with Paulandjacquelyn, ride a mini require differents centers of gravity, differents position to take with your body, follow the field you ride with your knees, but over all you need be very concentrated , listen, watch terrain, bumps, deformation, adjust the speed with the pressure of feet, be constantly attentive to the pressure exerted on the steering bar.
It's great to have calm in the head to be as focused, to have the mind occupied anticipate people, objects, animals.

This is a very powerful machine, when I did try to strangers, the first thing I told them to do is to press pads with theirs fingers, forward, backward, to understand the pressure but also the strength of the engine.

I traveled more than 700km, I seriously fell three times.

Each wheel engine produces plenty of power, especially over bumps, rocks, crossing sidewalks, sidewalks climb, it takes the power and ease its pressure at the right time not to fall.
This is an intuitive machine, which additionally calculates our responsiveness , attitude, behavior.

I no longer wear protection, I know jump before falling, I know around an obstacle if I see that I can not cross it.
Driving the mini is first to be focused on everything around you.
it is a real pleasure.

I am always amazed, in this or others forums, when users who:

- do not know the machine, do not possess a Mini

- they ride few mileage (max 10km)

can give an objective opinion. In France we had some very serious accidents with EUC users. (bones broken)

In China, Mini users have had serious accidents, it is true, but it is because of their lack of attention, lack of concentration, that NINEBOT changed the firmware v1.2.7 / v1.2.8 IT is written in the description of the firmware " adjust the limit speed bases on the user's feedback"

Maybe winter & Christmas season is not a good season for begin ride a mini, it's cold, your body is static, fixed, not flexible... Yes it's dangerous when your mind don't understand how to adapt your reflexes, body's postures, it's dangerous when your speed limit of beginner make you eager be more fast. Yes is dangerous when you don't understand which type of field you are riding.

i rather prefer have a fall at 17/18km/h than have a fall at 35km/h

If you are after total safety then a 4-wheel Vehicle will suit you better.

If you want to enjoy the freedom, speed and feeling of fun with some (controlled) level of risk then a 2- or 1wheeler is more suitable. 

No risk no fun, but hey - everybody has their own taste and judgement. That's why there is room for every product ;-)

Sales figures will tell what the public wants. 

I rode both today.  First rode my mini pro for about an 45 minutes, practicing turns, slopes fast and slow.  Afterwards, i went for a ride on my NB euc......as I was saying....it's dangerours to RIDE both lol.   The positioning is opposite on these so for one your weight is in when turning, on the Mini it's on outer foot.  This is a BIG brain challenge if you ride both.....gotta be quick.   I had such trouble riding my EUC AFTER i rode my mini pro.  I could barely turn it left  lol.   I got back up to speed after about 15 minutes on the EUC but scary for a moment or two

Sounds to be really confusing!#?

And I find it awkward going backwards and turning on the Mini ?, since I  have to lean my body in what seems as the "wrong" direction. 

The human mind is quite fast at adapting to a new situation/device though, just like driving a Right Hand Driven (RHD) car (if you normally drive LHD) and positioning it correctly in intersections etc.  The scary part is when switching between RHD/LHD cars since you have to re-set the "default" backbone behaviour.

I can only imagine the challenge in riding a Mini and a EUC one after the other ?

If you rotate your body when reversing, in the direction you want to rotate, rather than leaning, it should be intuitive.  I don't think the device is intended for reverse turning at enough speed for balance to become a significant issue - indeed, I'm surprised that Ninebot haven't prevented it the firmware, knowing how perhaps they over-protective of their customers!

On 7/23/2016 at 3:04 PM, Jack Frost said:

Just here to give my opinions on the Ninebot Mini and why its a more dangerous than any other EUCs and see if anyone else here agrees with me.

I own a Mini and i am driving it for 40km.

I live in Croatia, roads are not so good here but Mini eats all of it.
Yes, you need to watch where you are going and you need to adjust your body accordingly, i find it fun - if someone finds it tiring - change your transportation method ;)
I do not agree that it's speed should be limited to 10-12km/h, i feel safe even pushing it to 18km/h - you just need to watch the road ahead of you (as do you need to do this with EVERY vehicle)
If you want, limit the speed in application to 12km/h ;)

Only time i ever felt close to falling down was when i pushed it off road.

15 hours ago, jed2i said:

I own a Mini and i am driving it for 40km.

I live in Croatia, roads are not so good here but Mini eats all of it.
Yes, you need to watch where you are going and you need to adjust your body accordingly, i find it fun - if someone finds it tiring - change your transportation method ;)
I do not agree that it's speed should be limited to 10-12km/h, i feel safe even pushing it to 18km/h - you just need to watch the road ahead of you (as do you need to do this with EVERY vehicle)
If you want, limit the speed in application to 12km/h ;)

Only time i ever felt close to falling down was when i pushed it off road.

however you dont get the freedom you get with the EUC's, if your jumping off a curb because the road ahead is blocked you need to be very careful and make sure you know which tire is dropping first. You have to think about every vehicle you're operating but the Mini requires too much and takes away from the actual fun of it for me. 

Jack is a bit bais, in my opinion, if he sold it only after two weeks...the mini has no problem transvering difficult terrain, handles alot better than the q3, for sure, hit one hole or bump with one wheel, the other is there to steady you. The only problem I found was if you bumped the arm while mounting, as it will spin/turn on you, with you learn quickly to never do again... and no it shows not go any slower... 

Even though the q3 goes the same speed as the mini, I have to wear protection with the q3, I don't wear any with the mini, I feel safer on it...

On 7/23/2016 at 1:36 PM, jojo33 said:

Well, i'm agree with Paulandjacquelyn, ride a mini require differents centers of gravity, differents position to take with your body, follow the field you ride with your knees, but over all you need be very concentrated , listen, watch terrain, bumps, deformation, adjust the speed with the pressure of feet, be constantly attentive to the pressure exerted on the steering bar.
It's great to have calm in the head to be as focused, to have the mind occupied anticipate people, objects, animals.

This is a very powerful machine, when I did try to strangers, the first thing I told them to do is to press pads with theirs fingers, forward, backward, to understand the pressure but also the strength of the engine.

I traveled more than 700km, I seriously fell three times.

Each wheel engine produces plenty of power, especially over bumps, rocks, crossing sidewalks, sidewalks climb, it takes the power and ease its pressure at the right time not to fall.
This is an intuitive machine, which additionally calculates our responsiveness , attitude, behavior.

I no longer wear protection, I know jump before falling, I know around an obstacle if I see that I can not cross it.
Driving the mini is first to be focused on everything around you.
it is a real pleasure.

I am always amazed, in this or others forums, when users who:

- do not know the machine, do not possess a Mini

- they ride few mileage (max 10km)

can give an objective opinion. In France we had some very serious accidents with EUC users. (bones broken)

In China, Mini users have had serious accidents, it is true, but it is because of their lack of attention, lack of concentration, that NINEBOT changed the firmware v1.2.7 / v1.2.8 IT is written in the description of the firmware " adjust the limit speed bases on the user's feedback"

Maybe winter & Christmas season is not a good season for begin ride a mini, it's cold, your body is static, fixed, not flexible... Yes it's dangerous when your mind don't understand how to adapt your reflexes, body's postures, it's dangerous when your speed limit of beginner make you eager be more fast. Yes is dangerous when you don't understand which type of field you are riding.

i rather prefer have a fall at 17/18km/h than have a fall at 35km/h

Not sure if you were saying that i gave an objective opinion since i didnt ride it much I rode it enough to give this feedback, but my feedback is purely mine and this is the conclusion i've drawn from riding the Mini. I just don't think you are as free as you are on the EUC

On 7/24/2016 at 8:53 PM, ATH said:

Sounds to be really confusing!#?

And I find it awkward going backwards and turning on the Mini ?, since I  have to lean my body in what seems as the "wrong" direction. 

The human mind is quite fast at adapting to a new situation/device though, just like driving a Right Hand Driven (RHD) car (if you normally drive LHD) and positioning it correctly in intersections etc.  The scary part is when switching between RHD/LHD cars since you have to re-set the "default" backbone behaviour.

I can only imagine the challenge in riding a Mini and a EUC one after the other ?

Haha :lol: I remember that, jumping back on the EUC after Mini was a weird experience

19 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

Jack is a bit bais, in my opinion, if he sold it only after two weeks...the mini has no problem transvering difficult terrain, handles alot better than the q3, for sure, hit one hole or bump with one wheel, the other is there to steady you. The only problem I found was if you bumped the arm while mounting, as it will spin/turn on you, with you learn quickly to never do again... and no it shows not go any slower... 

Even though the q3 goes the same speed as the mini, I have to wear protection with the q3, I don't wear any with the mini, I feel safer on it...

Not sure how I am biased. I understood the learning that needed to took place and I have overcome them but it doesnt change the fact that when your handling rougher terrain you would need to pay more attention to the road than you would with the EUC hence why I prefer the EUC over the Mini

I own both (One E+ and Minipro) and thus far I feel far more comfortable, stable and safe on my Minipro. I actually wish it went a little faster, I am constantly getting slowed down by the speed limiter.

On 31/07/2016 at 9:13 PM, Duf said:

. I actually wish it went a little faster, I am constantly getting slowed down by the speed limiter.

Do you want ride faster? (me too, but...)

Well 

1/ don't look the cars (except for security)

2/don't look bicycle (except for security)

3/ look only walkers, 

and you will feel go super fast.....

or 

Like me, i ride the night, in countryside of Bordeaux, and with only 16km/h i feel really be fast

no much cars

no bicycle

but no walkers

only rabbit in the camp join you to your alone ride in the night and bats are flying over you .... many time you can see fox accross the road at the horizon....

Really, riding by night is very quiet and you feel really 16/18km/h are good

Would you crash with 30kmh like speed , like EUC?

Me i rather prefer be crashed at 17/18km/h because i can jump safely from my mini and landing my body like a super hero AVENGER :)

Our mini with runaway issue imagine it after a crash at 30km/h ?????? loose money, research spare parts, imports parts, wait delivery.... 

• 11 months later...
On 8/5/2016 at 4:58 AM, jojo33 said:

Like me, i ride the night, in countryside of Bordeaux, and with only 16km/h i feel really be fast

no much cars

no bicycle

but no walkers

only rabbit in the camp join you to your alone ride in the night and bats are flying over you .... many time you can see fox accross the road at the horizon....

Really, riding by night is very quiet and you feel really 16/18km/h are good

I'm in Chicago and it's well lit up, mostly.

I have not ridden the MiniPro in dark areas.

Do you have an additional light, besides the front light, to guide you?

On 7/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, Rocky Romero said:

I'm in Chicago and it's well lit up, mostly.

I have not ridden the MiniPro in dark areas.

Do you have an additional light, besides the front light, to guide you?

No more lights because streets are really well ligthned, but sometimes if i ride in dark areas it's for a short time, i use my phone light.

3 hours ago, jojo33 said:

No more lights because streets are really well ligthned, but sometimes if i ride in dark areas it's for a short time, i use my phone light, https://mini-j.jimdo.com/mini-tech-en/parts-repair/customization/

I attached an older iPhone to the front, however, either the vibration or magnet powers the iPhone off.  Even with different phones.  My intention is to have a backup light, as you said.

On 7/24/2016 at 1:51 AM, Paulandjacquelyn said:

I rode both today.  First rode my mini pro for about an 45 minutes, practicing turns, slopes fast and slow.  Afterwards, i went for a ride on my NB euc......as I was saying....it's dangerours to RIDE both lol.   The positioning is opposite on these so for one your weight is in when turning, on the Mini it's on outer foot.  This is a BIG brain challenge if you ride both.....gotta be quick.   I had such trouble riding my EUC AFTER i rode my mini pro.  I could barely turn it left  lol.   I got back up to speed after about 15 minutes on the EUC but scary for a moment or two

I would say the EUC is safer to bail on ... thisbis a great post as the Way you maneuver each device is opposing, I plan on staying with my miniPro for now ... the EUCs are so much more Versatile though. 

Archived