Ever Buy Stuff That You Probably Don't Even Need?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe of course!  Not to be confused with @Marty Mcfly although we suspect they're both from the future.  :whistling:. He's the go-to Gotway guy with the latest and greatest wheels.

I thought he was a cowboy...

20 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe of course!  Not to be confused with @Marty Mcfly although we suspect they're both from the future.  :whistling:. He's the go-to Gotway guy with the latest and greatest wheels.

Ah I see.  Got me a gotway myself as a first ride(MCM4).  Didn't wanna drop 2k on something that I've never ridden and no one even close to where I lives seems to know about.  Just bought this thing off eBay on a whim.  Man its starting to get fun though.  Just successfully made it around the block lol.  I'll have to remember Marty when its time to upgrade.  :)

MCM4 is a nice first ride!  :dribble: I remember seeing @myfunwheel post up his videos riding it, and man that thing is fast.  It just gets better and better as you progress with your riding skills and move to other wheels.  It is amazing how far these wheels can take you in terms of sheer distance from a single charge.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

MCM4 is a nice first ride!  :dribble: I remember seeing @myfunwheel post up his videos riding it, and man that thing is fast.  It just gets better and better as you progress with your riding skills and move to other wheels.  It is amazing how far these wheels can take you in terms of sheer distance from a single charge.

Yea I like it so far.  Its now a "custom" MCM4 because it looks like it went through a war.  I tried the protective covering route and it all fell off, so of course I said screw it and just kept going and I wasn't using a strap either.  Today was my first day with no falls.  Stepped off a few times but nothing crazy.  I too watched funwheels videos and was part of the reason I got it.  In hindsight maybe should have gone for a 16" or 18" for a few bux more.  Anyways....................Liking it so far so can't complain too much.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my new Backe Dynamics Marty v2.0!

809172_testrobot2.jpg

I didn't really NEED it, but it came bundled with a Gotway MRoomba, so I couldn't resist...

I set it up straight away but so far instead of doing any vacuuming all it does is fall all over the place with its legs flailing.

EDIT: I have just read the manual (RTFM) and apparently this is the standard operating procedure! I'm not annoyed though - how could I be when it makes me laugh out loud everytime it takes another dive? 

:roflmao:

:lol:  Laugh while you can.   :mellow:  All I'm gonna say is bring mucho protective gear (helmet, wrist guards, life insurance policy, etc) for July 8th.  There may be plans to "weight" stress test the Gotway wheels. :whistling:  Also be on the lookout for "The Three Signs of the Gotway Apocalypse."  :innocent1:

1.  ACM wire meltage up steep hills.  :crying:

2.  MSuper Bronco Bucks ejecting riders.  :blink:

3.   Monster eats a sacrificial visitor from a distant land.  :shock2:

55 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  Laugh while you can.   :mellow:  All I'm gonna say is bring mucho protective gear (helmet, wrist guards, life insurance policy, etc) for July 8th.  There may be plans to "weight" stress test the Gotway wheels. :whistling: 

Unfortunately, Tour Guide Marty isn't operating just at the moment... Being down to one wheel makes it hard to run an EUC showcase of the wonders of California. :(  And I think Tour Guide Marty is as disappointed as I am - I know if anyone was passing through NZ, I'd be ecstatic to plan a few rides. 

But I'm a regular LA visitor, so we can catch up another time, when Gotway have resolved their issues or Marty has moved on to become a King Song fanboy (and my previous post will have been long forgotten). :D

55 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

3.   Monster eats a sacrificial visitor from a distant land.  :shock2:

I dunno... That's a lot to chew! :popcorn:

35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Aw man... I thought maybe he might take you on a short tour with the KS14 and the Monster to the local Tilted Kilt.  It would be nice just to get together to shoot the breeze.  Well you never know, maybe they will come up with an alternate plan.

Thanks @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.

Now there's a good idea, @Marty Backe.

In absence of the chance to ride, I'd be keen to buy you and your crew a couple of rounds at your local Tilted Kilt (I'm trying to collect the whole set anyway) and talk about what's happening at Gotway, what my next wheel needs to be, and why my accent makes the waitress smile at me more.

Even being able to see a monster to get an idea of the size would be a great opportunity... 

PS. Don't scroll back any more than 3 posts on this thread - it's just not worth your time.  :D

My roommate had one of those.  It was awe-inspiring and very forward-looking at the time.

What remains awe-inspiring is that good manuals used to be standard.  We may never pass that way again, my friends.  There lived giants in those days.

On the actual topic of buying stuff you probably don't even need... I was about to order a 21U floor rack cabinet from Thomann, as I had to order other stuff there and would have gotten it with free shipping. Of course the model I wanted was out of stock, so started building a shelf-thingie with built-in 19" rack from rack rails (11U high) to better use space in my work desk and get better lighting etc. Right after it was built, with lots of help from the Garage Elf, another friend told me he has a 12U rack and he'll sell it to me for one beer, so practically free... :D Don't know if that counts as "buying", but... I have exactly one rack-mount device, that's 2U high, and now I have the space for 10 more such units :P So instead of saving space, I'm (1) likely going to end up with even more space problems, as now I have to find new space for the component lockers (can't put them on top of the shelf, the top-most lockers would be too high to easily reach) and the second rack and (2) will "need" to start buying more rack-mounted equipment to actually make more use of the racks :D Although I'm not sure on my budget what devices those would be, a PSU capable of providing voltages as high as the unicycle batteries (67.2V / 84V) would be nice though.  It's a vicious cycle... does buying a larger house to fit all your stuff count as "buying things you don't probably need"? ;)

1gnJjUJ.png

Still "work in progress", the stuff laying on top and front of the shelf isn't supposed to be there, I'm just trying to figure out where to put everything :P  And need to build lighting under the shelf from some led-tapes/power leds, as well as draw some more power cabling there.

http://www.getolympus.com/outlet

I bought a refurbished camera, an Olympus EM-10.2 for around $312. I don't need it as I already have a PEN-F.

I got it yesterday and it is really sweet. It's tiny with my 14mm Panasonic lens, I put it in my pants pocket. Imagine that, a tiny DSLR that goes in your pocket. Ok, it's not really a DSLR...

https://youtu.be/xNY8LiyPL_k

I took it to the zoo today, and I got the silver version which looks exactly like a POS film camera from the 1970's so no one cares if you take pictures.

22 hours ago, esaj said:

On the actual topic of buying stuff you probably don't even need... I was about to order a 21U floor rack cabinet from Thomann, as I had to order other stuff there and would have gotten it with free shipping. Of course the model I wanted was out of stock, so started building a shelf-thingie with built-in 19" rack from rack rails (11U high) to better use space in my work desk and get better lighting etc. Right after it was built, with lots of help from the Garage Elf, another friend told me he has a 12U rack and he'll sell it to me for one beer, so practically free... :D Don't know if that counts as "buying", but... I have exactly one rack-mount device, that's 2U high, and now I have the space for 10 more such units :P So instead of saving space, I'm (1) likely going to end up with even more space problems, as now I have to find new space for the component lockers (can't put them on top of the shelf, the top-most lockers would be too high to easily reach) and the second rack and (2) will "need" to start buying more rack-mounted equipment to actually make more use of the racks :D Although I'm not sure on my budget what devices those would be, a PSU capable of providing voltages as high as the unicycle batteries (67.2V / 84V) would be nice though.  It's a vicious cycle... does buying a larger house to fit all your stuff count as "buying things you don't probably need"? ;)

H

Still "work in progress", the stuff laying on top and front of the shelf isn't supposed to be there, I'm just trying to figure out where to put everything :P  And need to build lighting under the shelf from some led-tapes/power leds, as well as draw some more power cabling there.

God I wish you lived closer! I have SKB 8U, 4U and 2U cases, sliding shelves and drawers. I also have a Middle Atlantic wall mount 8U version with locking doors and power. That cabinet was going to be used for an Autistic School that was being built but 6 months later after purchasing it the school went in a different direction. I would never be cost effective to ship to your country. Bummer.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone try one of these cuisine delivery services?

http://observer.com/2016/01/we-tried-blue-apron-hello-fresh-and-their-4-competitors-one-was-clearly-the-best/

There's one that seems to be gaining hype in Canada called Chef's Plate.  They deliver a box with all the ingredients you need pretty much to create some gourmet dishes.  I signed up for a couple of meals per week to give it a try.  If I die from food poisioning, you'll know what happened.  :wacko:

https://www.chefsplate.com/

I've tried Blue Apron and one other one whose name I forgot.  

Blue Apron was quite good.  The ingredients were fresh and high quality and there were enough of the spices and such, which the other service skimped on a bit.  For instance, for a really good Thai dish, there were a number of spices not readily available in the town I live in, and they didn't skimp on the lemon grass.  There was truly enough rather than a stingy "barely enough."  Meat portions were adequate even for a man's appetite.  The recipes and preparation instructions were well-written too.

But don't think it's not cooking.  It's more like not shopping and not measuring.  And none of the preparations were elaborate.  But you'll do the usual chopping and sauteeing and such.

I kind of liked the convenience of it plus the simplicity.  Considering the cost of eating out every couple times a week plus having the same old dishes all the time I thought I give this a try.  Often it's a pain to go grocery shopping plus you end up with extra food that goes to waste if you don't use it all up.   I like the prepackaged convenience I guess.  I hear most people drop their subscription after a few months.  We'll see how it goes!  :P

Anyone else a Food Safari fan like me?

• 3 months later...

I have not owned my own mobile phone since 1996, but due to the appalling quality / functionality of my most recent "work upgrade" I have had to opt to buy and use my own handset...

keyone.png

So, I am now the proud owner of a BlackBerry KEYone... a few years back my work phone was a BlackBerry too - I mourned when they prised it from my hand, and now I am  just loving having one again - and running Android too!

I am a bit concerned though that this might just be@Hunka Hunka Burning Love psychically channelling his inner-Canadian into me... Which would also explain the current craving that I have for Poutine!

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:ph34r:  My powahs grow stronger with time,  but please, let's not mention "channeling my inner-Canadian into you" and RIM cell phone products in the same posting.  :innocent1:

Oh well, at least you're helping my country economically by supporting Canadian RIM jobs.  :whistling:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Blackberry's aren't done by Research In Motion anymore, AFAIK they sold (or licensed?) the rights to the Blackberry -trademark and the current phones are made by some Chinese manufacturer (TCL Communication).  ;)

BlackBerry is a line of smartphones, tablets, and services originally designed and marketed by Canadian company BlackBerry Limited (formerly known as Research In Motion Limited).[1] These are currently designed, manufactured, and marketed by TCL Communication (BlackBerry Mobile), BB Merah Putih, and Optiemus for the global, Indonesian, and Indian markets, respectively, continuously using the BlackBerry brand.

I think I might actually use a smartphone with a QWERTY-keyboard, BB Priv looks nice (although it's already couple of years old), the keyboard slides out from under the phone:

blackberry-priv-8.jpg

Most of the other Android Blackberry-models with keyboards seem to have more squarish display, which I wouldn't mind, but I'm pretty sure the aspect ratio's going to cause problems with lots of software, because the user interfaces weren't written for such aspect ratios (because they're rare), and people will likely hit problems like some of the buttons or whatever partially outside the screen... "Joys" of making mobile software :P 

Archived