Ever Buy Stuff That You Probably Don't Even Need?

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Maybe I should change the thread title to "Ever buy stuff you probably don't need, but you seem to use anyways?"  I received both of my iLife robotic vacuums, the V7S and the A4.  I was pretty surprised at how well they work actually.  

But isn't the point of a robot vacuum that you don't actual need to use them?

Or did you really get them as they look like a Ninebot lying down? 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink:  Stop blasting my mind!  Ever watch Russel Peters?  So funny... 

I've always wanted to get a Roomba, but I'm in the cheapskate category of shoppers that don't want to spend that much on one even though it might be better.  Dyson vacuums?  Pishaw!  Miele dishwashers?  Gackk!   I'm sure they are worth the extra dollars, but these little Chinese knock-offs seem to do the trick so far.  Time will tell whether they break down sooner or not.  They are very cool to watch actually if you're bored as they go about their business bumping into things, turning, and position themselves into tight spots.  It would be interesting to see how the motion logic is programmed and how they manage to optimize the coverage area effectively as it just looks pretty random to me!  The home parking back to charger unit is quite amazing as somehow it knows how to get into the correct spot even after travelling all around the house.

:blink:  Stop blasting my mind!  Ever watch Russel Peters?  So funny... 

I've always wanted to get a Roomba, but I'm in the cheapskate category of shoppers that don't want to spend that much on one even though it might be better.  Dyson vacuums?  Pishaw!  Miele dishwashers?  Gackk!   I'm sure they are worth the extra dollars, but these little Chinese knock-offs seem to do the trick so far.  Time will tell whether they break down sooner or not.  They are very cool to watch actually if you're bored as they go about their business bumping into things, turning, and position themselves into tight spots.  It would be interesting to see how the motion logic is programmed and how they manage to optimize the coverage area effectively as it just looks pretty random to me!  The home parking back to charger unit is quite amazing as somehow it knows how to get into the correct spot even after travelling all around the house.

A Roomba is not a "don't need". We've a Roomba in ground floor and a Kaercher in the first floor and a robotic lawn mower outside in the garden. I like gadgets ;)

Yeah you don't realize how handy these little robot vacuums are until you see how much dust they pick up from what looks like a "clean" floor!  Here's another video of the iLife A4 in action.  I don't know what is it about these robots, but it's mesmerizing seeing them move around like they are alive.  A robotic lawnmover sounds pretty neat.  At the moment I just pay someone to come by to cut and trim my lawn for me.  I'm just too lazy to do it myself.  :P

Just a follow up - this iLife A4 is a little on the dumb side.  For some reason while in a hallway it seems to only want to clean the left side from where the base is.  I had to set up some barriers to scoot it over to the kitchen area instead.  Maybe the A4 is an earlier firmware version or something so you have to prod it along a bit.  Maintenance is a little involved but easy enough to do.  The little yellow roller brush underneath can be removed after unlatching an access cover.  It's shocking how much hair gets intertwined into the roller :blink:.  Luckily with the brush and fork tool you can undo the hair knots that get caught.  This has to be done pretty much after every cycle depending on how much hair you have lying around.  You do have to keep wires out of the way as I noticed it ate one of my HDMI adapter cables plus it gets caught in dangling electrical cords.  Overall so far I think it's money well spent as I hate vacuuming and this robot does it all for you plus it's kind of neat to watch.

Back on topic, I bought one of these Hague motion stabilizing steadicamsfor my Canon camera a few years back, but I think I've only used it once since receiving it.  I'm not sure why I bought it, but it seemed like a handy thing to have.  Maybe I'll try to take some videos on my Ninebot while using it one day.

http://www.haguecamerasupports.com/steadycam-stabilizers/hague-mmc-mini-motion-cam-camera-steadicam-stabilizer

• 1 month later...

My latest acquisition!  An orbital action jigsaw!

image.jpg

Not too sure why I got it, but now I need to find someone .... er something to cut up!  I cashed in my Airmiles since they start expiring after five years so may as well use them!  I got a bunch of gas cards and Visa credit cards as well.  It's just like Christmas!

Mrs Fat-Unicyclist just bought me a pair of these...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiyZTrFZetFA6MOKVQxM7

I'm normally not a brand person, other than two exceptions; 

I NEVER but Apple, and I ALWAYS buy Bose! 

And my old pair just died, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

As an aside, I never wear these while wheeling... 

Apple isn't that bad.  Over-priced yes, but it works.  Usually.  Except their dang buggy iTunes security annoyances.  If you download an app with one email, you can't transfer ownership of that app to another email.  Even if you try to log into the old account, updates don't download.  So you have to delete the app and redownload it.  Major pain with some saved games.  :rolleyes:

Battery life beats Android hands down.  No wonder android users always need to carry a charger or cable around.  My LG G3 spare phone dies very fast even with a bunch of power savng apps installed.

Bose?   Try the Xiaomi Piston 2 headphones.  Apparently they are quite good, but watch out for fakes.  I find that sooner or later the wires break down so I buy the cheap ones and switch out ever so often.

...Try the Xiaomi Piston 2 headphones.  Apparently they are quite good, but watch out for fakes.

+1. Got both Pistons and Air, and Hybrid. Like them very much.

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

...As an aside, I never wear these while wheeling... 

Respect! I don't wear headphones while riding EUC/Bicycle. And would be glad if more people realised that they have to pay attention...

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy!  I bought a pair of these Xiaomi Mi starter edition headphones, and I accidentally put them through a full warm/cold wash cycle with the rest of my laundry.  They were in my pocket, and I totally forgot about them.  Good thing I didn't stick them into the dryer!  The amazing thing is that after they dried out they still work fine!  :blink:

http://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_231055.html

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Crazy!  I bought a pair of these Xiaomi Mi starter edition headphones, and I accidentally put them through a full warm/cold wash cycle with the rest of my laundry.  They were in my pocket, and I totally forgot about them.  Good thing I didn't stick them into the dryer!  The amazing thing is that after they dried out they still work fine!  :blink:

http://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_231055.html

Why are they called colourful when they're black? 

I think they come in different colours, but they only seem to have black in stock?  There's also some sort of reddot design one for a little more.  I think it has more control buttons on it as compared to the ones I got.  I only have one pause/play button next to the microphone.

201510291033274817.jpg

Dynamic range is pretty good.  Sharp trebles with lots of bass and pretty good mid range.  I'm no audiophile so I can only tell you what I think they sound like. They are good enough for me.  I don't know how they sell these for less that $7.18 CDN shipped.  The $5 pairs I get tend to break down pretty quickly.  I think these Xiaomi pair are the best for the money so far I've found.  I don't know about the flat cable though as I have a different pair where the wire must have broken so the sound cuts out.  It's a no name brand though for $5.

Dang I just checked,  and I think my Piston 2's are fake.  They don't sound that good either.   These starter edition Xiaomi's are much  better, but on my Android phone I have to install Bass Booster to get the lower range up unlike on my iPhone I find. 

On 8/8/2016 at 11:24 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow I've never seen a hammer and a hachet on a multi-tool before.  Plus the pair of pliers is interesting.  Is that a bottle cap opener or a fishing line tool, the one next to the knife?  I remember seeing on The Amazing Race some contestants went to the Swiss Army knife factory, and they had to put together their own.  I've got a Husky multi-tool that I picked up which I haven't used once yet, but my Swiss Army knife has come in handy on several occasions.

I bought this luggage scale recently which might come in handy as sometimes you buy a few souvenirs, and you end up going over 50 kg lbs.  Will it be that useful?  Maybe maybe not.  I haven't needed to use one ever before so it's one of those I could live without items.

https://www.amazon.com/Backlight-Display-Dr-meter-Electronic-Temperature/dp/B00XVB48E4

710omdCpqxL._SL1500_.jpg

i own one of these things

and use it whenever i travel

not sure i need it though... but, it is pretty cool

7 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

i own one of these things

and use it whenever i travel

not sure i need it though... but, it is pretty cool

Yes - you need it! 

I travel a bit, mostly about a pound under the weight limit (as I use one too).

The moment you are over, airport check-in gets painful - or expensive. 

Once I challenged the calibration of their scale, which said I was over (when I knew I wasn't). They weren't happy when another of their scales confirmed it, but the passengers behind me were all smiling...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes - you need it! 

I travel a bit, mostly about a pound under the weight limit (as I use one too).

The moment you are over, airport check-in gets painful - or expensive. 

Once I challenged the calibration of their scale, which said I was over (when I knew I wasn't). They weren't happy when another of their scales confirmed it, but the passengers behind me were all smiling...

it IS very useful

i'm glad i found it on AMAZON

Just start taking clothes out and put them on in line.  Ever see that one episode of Seinfeld where George has like 10 layers on clothing on?  He's sweating like a dog, but he doesn't have to pay extra checked in baggage fees!

Back to headphones if anyone is looking for a good set of cans - these Koss Porta Pros are awesome!

https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/porta-pro

I bought a set like 10 years ago for $35.  One day the sound cut out on one side.  I discovered that a wire must have broken near the plug.  As these have a lifetime replacement warranty, I registered on their site again, mailed the headphones along with a cheque for $10 for shipping, and they sent me a brand new pair!

Sound on these are really good.  If you don't mind the retro look and odd hair pull (not a problem for you @The Fat Unicyclist!) try out a pair.  They also fold up into a compact travel size.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love those are nice looking headphones, I am going to try and find some at a store, but do you think it would be better to order them online?  I used to see Koss advertised in the US a long time ago but is this one of those Canadian things where all the good stuff stays in Canada but you can't find it in the US anymore?  I  bet you have White Castle all over the place too:( 

On 8/17/2016 at 4:00 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A robotic lawnmover sounds pretty neat.  

I saw a video for one and it is a pain to run the boundary wires around all the trees and garden boundary bricks and the return to charger wire.  I would have to pay someone to do that!:lol:

I think Koss is a US company?

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574785-REG/Koss_PORTAPRO_PortaPro_Stereo_Headphones.html

They are pretty good for the price plus the lifetime warranty thing is well known.  There are pricier options out there, but these sound pretty good for the money.  Search for online reviews about them.

We don't have any White Castles or In and Out burgers unfortunately.  :(. We do have Carl's Junior, but I haven't tried it yet.  Commercial looks pretty good though!

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Commercial looks pretty good though!

If that's what the staff really looked (and dressed) like - I'd only eat there 21 times a week...

Archived