Ever Buy Stuff That You Probably Don't Even Need?

I bought these active noise cancellation headphones from Ali for $27. They appear bulky so I don't think they'd be appropriate for EUC + helmet without some modifications but for normal walking around in the city and subway I think they'd be fine.

Bluedio T4S Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones wireless Headset with Mic
http://s.aliexpress.com/aqQRZz2Q
(from AliExpress Android)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought this SoundCore 2 speaker, somewhat larger, for my EUC. It is weather resistant, and just went on sale during thanksgiving. I have two Anker speakers; one (SoundCore 1) is going strong but the other was kicked around by some kids when I wasn't watching, and of course ended up broken.

Anker SoundCore 2 12W Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker: Better Bass, 24-Hour Playtime, 66ft Bluetooth Range, IPX5 Water Resistance & Built-in Mic, Dual-Driver Speaker for Beach, Travel, Party https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTB55WH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DggfAbAEHAFBV

• 1 month later...

Stopped at the NZ "Home Depot" equivalent this afternoon... And, thanks to Mrs TFU, walked out with a Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Chill) plant... 

Just found a new home for this Ghost Chilli... My home!

And if you know me, you know I like my chilies hot... But this makes me a little nervous! 

Is there a Guinness WR for eating hot chilies while riding an EUC?

There's things I've bought and never used, as well as things I've found way more useful than I thought I would. I can't always know when I buy something exactly how useful it will be to me, but the occasional useless purchases are part of making the useful ones. 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:45 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Stopped at the NZ "Home Depot" equivalent this afternoon... And, thanks to Mrs TFU, walked out with a Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Chill) plant... 

Just found a new home for this Ghost Chilli... My home!

And if you know me, you know I like my chilies hot... But this makes me a little nervous! 

Is there a Guinness WR for eating hot chilies while riding an EUC?

I bought the same thing about ten years ago, and those plants need a ton of sunlight.

I found mine almost uselessly hot as putting a slice into soup or such made it almost inedible.

I bought the MS Surface Pro (5?) 4gb version. I am a bit worried it has too little ram but the 8gb version cost $400 more.

My intent is to use it like a very expensive drawing tablet and so far it is amazing for that, but then again the best I know is what I have. Using Sketchable on this tablet is pretty close to ink and paper, even down to the smudge too (you can smudge with your finger).

I built this computer and got carried away spending almost $10K on the setup....

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cranium/saved/Jk3yf7 

PC.jpg

I spent waaay to much for a cool looking PC that I can't fully utilize.  I don't mine crypto currencies.  I sometimes play games but none can really utilize both 1080 TI Graphics cards.  Too much memory (but will come in handy with virtual PCs).  And a M.2 drive that I can't utilize all the speed that it offers.  Here's a video f the fluid going through it:

I bought a couple of Chuwi Vi8 dual OS (Android/Windows 8.1) tablets a couple of years ago, and they've been sitting around collecting dust for a while.  I lost interest in them after a few months.  I was almost afraid the batteries were going to be dead since I haven't charged them up lately.  After destroying my LG G3 phone with my hot air rework station (WiFi eventually cut out - it's a known issue so me tried to fixy), I had it going for a bit, but then I think I overheated it so it wouldn't boot up at all any more.  :crying:  I don't think I'll be messing around with BGA chips in the future.  :rolleyes:  It looked so easy in the Youtube videos!  I used the phone mainly for Kodi, but now I've got the Chuwi cheap Chinese tablets working again.  Surprisingly the batteries are still perfectly fine!

I'm using one mainly as a portable Android media tablet with Terrarium and Mobdro installed along with SPMC.  I might wipe the Windows partition to get some more free space.  I'm finding these sub-$100 tablets pretty handy even though I didn't really have a need for them.  I loaded up Torque on it as well to clear some engine codes on my car after working on it.  It has a mini HDMI port as well.  Windows actually runs pretty well on these tablets.  There's not a ton of flash drive space, but there is a microSD card slot to expand room on it.  I was going to get a replacement Android Phone, but no need really since I have these tablets I never use.  It's difficult to avoid collecting tech I find.  I still need to install my hard drives into my 1U server to get it running.

I also ordered a Xiaomi Mibox Global version to play around with.  I've got so many mediaboxes lying around it's crazy.  I've got to clear my old tech to make room for the new stuff.  My MyGica box has been retired along with a couple of Jynx boxes, a Sony GoogleTV internet player (got it for free), WDTV box, and Patriot Box Office box.  I really should just get an Nvidia Shield and be done with it, but I like the cheaper tech just to mess around with it.  I've also recently started using my VPN service more often which I was paying for but never using.  Private Internet Access works pretty well and isn't very pricey.  They also don't keep activity logs which is nice.  :whistling:

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's difficult to avoid collecting tech I find.  

Sound like you have a large tech collection that needs weeded out.

39813521982_47abf4490f_b.jpg

Bunny is still intact for the moment, although I have been tempted on several occasions to take it to the vet to have it snip snipped!  :efef2e0fff:  I read that neutering can calm them down a bit.  He still runs around like crazy when in hypermode which is then followed by a flip and sprawl-out on the sofa.  Very strange animal.  No more snipped cables thankfully!  Bunny and tech collection do not mix! 

How are your injuries healing up?  Back on the saddle pedals again?  I haven't touched my Tesla or Ninebot for a while.  The snow has been pretty bad this year so no winter riding for me here.  :cry2:  No luck finding an indoor riding facility either so it will have to wait until spring.

Today was like this: cold, moist but no rain, and wind. 5 mins later, wet snow storm, 10+ cm of snow everywhere. 5 mins later, suddenly warm rain, melting it away again. 5 mins later, sunny. 5 mins later, whatever crazy weather comes next. Around 0°C, naturally, and the only constant is the gusty wind and totally pleasant cold+wet air. Has been like this for a month or so. My last ride was a new years ride and I only did it so I'd be standing on the pedals right at midnight. So not much riding to be done:efef3d5527:

The shoulder is officially ok but still mysteriously hurts a little, and the knee won't heal properly on one small spot, will have to see doctors for each in the coming days. But otherwise, everything's ok, besides the damn weather, that's just frustrating - and it is NOT helped by Marty complaining about "cold" temperatures etc. in Cali when his "hands get cold" for a bit (nowhere close to gloves, naturally) and he might have to wear 2 layers of clothing instead of one:efee612b4b:

Winter's a slow EUC time, at least wet winter. That much I've learned. I believe Thursday is my official one year EUCiversary.

Things I have bought and never or hardly ever use:

Internal bearing puller.  Bought to rebuild Mazda MX5 tranny that didn't need rebuilding ( did actually use it to pull the bearings out of my 14c motor, but I had to use a modified technique, as no actual bearing puller would fit.  Amazon Chines purchase.  Had an email flurry to get a badly machined part replaced.

Clutch plate centering kit.  Same as above.   Never used it but discovered there is no precision in this "precision kit" so not really fit for purpose.

2 Selfie sticks, one with a bluetooth remote.  Occasional use only.

Behind the ear alarm for falling asleep at the wheel.

Easy needle threader.

1938 Greyhound bus "GM Silverside" powered by Detroit Diesel 6-71. was in service up and down the west coast of the USA up until the 1960s

Vintage Japanese Pachinko machine

And probably tons of other junk I have forgotten along the way.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

@Cranium, were the graphics card(s) expensive? I know that graphics cards are used in encryption coin mining but I don't know to what extent.

Each of the graphics cards were $800 plus another $150 for each water cooling block so $1900 for the two.  Apparently I could resell them and get much more than that right now if I wanted though because of the GPU demand for mining has everyone out of stock and people paying premiums!   :lol:

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/

31 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Apparently I could resell them and get much more than that right now if I wanted though because of the GPU demand for mining has everyone out of stock and people paying premiums! 

Yeah, do it because I think people are paying 2x retail for them!

I moved from a large house to a smaller one about 4 months ago and I could not even make a list of all the crap we've eliminated so far. A lot of it was the kind of one-time-only stuff that you end up keeping just in case you need it again. Turns out I did not need to keep that 32mm socket for the axle nut on a 1978 Fiat 128. 

36 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Each of the graphics cards were $800 plus another $150 for each water cooling block so $1900 for the two.  Apparently I could resell them and get much more than that right now if I wanted though because of the GPU demand for mining has everyone out of stock and people paying premiums!   :lol:

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/

I was about to say the demand would increase production and hence the price would eventually drop, but then I realized that since bit coins can continue to be mined, and that money then used to buy more graphics cards which then are used to mine coins. Etc...

Gamers might not have reasonable access to cards for many years.

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

Turns out I did not need to keep that 32mm socket for the axle nut on a 1978 Fiat 128.

two points:

1. does this socket take up enough space to justify throwing it out?

2. Now you've thrown it out (assumption) you will need it in the next 6 months. Murphy's law.

Is it still possible to mine with a desktop computer?  I heard, to maintain a release rate of 1 coin every 10 minutes, the program gets more complicated to adjust for the increased number of miners and the massive server rooms of commercial computers they are using to mine.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I know that graphics cards are used in encryption coin mining but I don't know to what extent.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

but then I realized that since bit coins can continue to be mined,

So who has invested in BCs? I have lost $1000s recently. 

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

So who has invested in BCs? I have lost $1000s recently. 

Well, you haven't lost if you didn't have to cash out.  If you've still got them, just hold on a bit (pun) they should come good, enough for you to go positive.  When you sell them after that is your call.  There are so many cryptos out there now, it hard to predict the price of any of them.  Didn't BitCoin lose half its value in about 10 days recently?

I think a better investment might be in the companies making the preferred computers for the big money miners.  Like selling picks and shovels in the Klondike.  Most of those miners returned broke, or died trying. But the merchants made a profit on every piece they sold. 

And lots of people are investing in anything with blockchain in the name, but I'm not interested enough to investigate further

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Is it still possible to mine with a desktop computer?  I heard, to maintain a release rate of 1 coin every 10 minutes, the program gets more complicated to adjust for the increased number of miners and the massive server rooms of commercial computers they are using to mine.

Yes it is. I could make $300-$400/month with my computer before electricity costs.  With my water cooled setup, I'm able to overclock easier to get a bit of a boost in mining.  But that doesn't really interest me.  I don't trust bitcoin because it is too volatile, not a true currency, and if you are ever robbed of your bitcoin, you have very little recourse to get it back since it isn't a true currency. (from my noob understanding of it all).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/01/19/how-much-money-can-you-make-mining-with-your-gaming-pc/#531c2ed73ebb

8 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Yes it is. I could make $300-$400/month with my computer before electricity costs.  With my water cooled setup, I'm able to overclock easier to get a bit of a boost in mining.  But that doesn't really interest me.  I don't trust bitcoin because it is too volatile, not a true currency, and if you are ever robbed of your bitcoin, you have very little recourse to get it back since it isn't a true currency. (from my noob understanding of it all).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/01/19/how-much-money-can-you-make-mining-with-your-gaming-pc/#531c2ed73ebb

That was an interesting article.  But I wouldn't worry about being robbed of your Bitcoin (if you went'a mining), the system is very robust and the BlockChains which keep records of all transactions cannot be tampered with (apparently).

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That was an interesting article.  But I wouldn't worry about being robbed of your Bitcoin (if you went'a mining), the system is very robust and the BlockChains which keep records of all transactions cannot be tampered with (apparently).

I agree! Blockchain technology is so secure that the method is now being implemented in the healthcare industry to securely store medical records while maintaining a single version of the truth. 

With this technology medical records will easily be exchanged between hospitals, physicians, laboratories, pharmacists and other heathcare professionals even if their databases have different platforms. One major hospital I work at cannot digitally exchange a patient’s medical data with another nearby hospital because their databases run on entirely different software.

Just imagine being involved in a serious auto accident out of state and the ER physician  cannot obtain your medical records to administer proper care. Fortunately blockchain technology is changing this antiquated paradigm. 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

1. does this socket take up enough space to justify throwing it out?

2. Now you've thrown it out (assumption) you will need it in the next 6 months. Murphy's law.

Well like so many things, I didn't even know I had it until I went through the piles of stuff. So if I really did need it in the past 20 years I would have gone out and bought another one. 

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree! Blockchain technology is so secure that the method is now being implemented in the healthcare industry to securely store medical records while maintaining a single version of the truth. 

With this technology medical records will easily be exchanged between hospitals, physicians, laboratories, pharmacists and other heathcare professionals even if their databases have different platforms. One major hospital I work at cannot digitally exchange a patient’s medical data with another nearby hospital because their databases run on entirely different software.

Just imagine being involved in a serious auto accident out of state and the ER physician  cannot obtain your medical records to administer proper care. Fortunately blockchain technology is changing this antiquated paradigm. 

Yes, blockchain is great.  You can follow your stolen bitcoin all over the place!  lol

Unfortunately, and someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding this.....If someone gets a hold of your bitcoin and uses it in some way, it's gone and they are now the owners with nothing you can do.  It's easy to launder and then it would be up to you to somehow prove it was yours and then stolen which is virtually impossible. 

Proof of the difficulty can be seen in this article:

https://gizmodo.com/the-6-biggest-bitcoin-heists-in-history-1531881137

Archived