MicroWorks 30B4 EGG mobile app OpenSource

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I asked shenzen for details they said it would not work with 18" motor, only 14" I do not see why not. Plug in the phase/hall wires it should work. I dont see how wheel size would affect how the controller works. do you have any details since you have worked directly with the controller?

The controller only works with their 14'' motor. In future, they will sell their 40A controller with 12 mosfets, it may work with other motors. Using their parts makes a good investment for future upgrades.

I hope to make an OpenSource firmware and with that be able to make it working for many motors and in that way open up much more possibilities for other EUC constructions :-)

11 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

The controller only works with their 14'' motor. In future, they will sell their 40A controller with 12 mosfets, it may work with other motors. Using their parts makes a good investment for future upgrades.

I hope to make an OpenSource firmware and with that be able to make it working for many motors and in that way open up much more possibilities for other EUC constructions :-)

Great! Here is the motor I am talking about. They sell it but not a controller...bummer. I really need 18" for the terrain I have.

https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Shock-price-brushless-motor-18-inch_60238419422.html

3 hours ago, 1kw said:

Great! Here is the motor I am talking about. They sell it but not a controller...bummer. I really need 18" for the terrain I have.

https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Shock-price-brushless-motor-18-inch_60238419422.html

Minimum order 10 pcs, they also have a 16" listed, which is not available either right now, so only 14" currently available. I would have preferred a 16" myself as well.

Can someone please look at the help text and post rectifications?? I am pretty sure that text can be better.

EGG_Electric_Unicycle-v0.5.0

Now all the commands works, like the horizontal calibration. Added also an help menu for ride modes and horizontal calibration.

Downloads

screenshot_2016-08-18-20-46-38
screenshot_2016-08-18-20-46-44

screenshot_2016-08-18-20-46-48

@esaj, now the calibration works!! See:

// make a small delay between each command
public void CommandDelay() {
    try {
        Thread.sleep(500);
    } catch(InterruptedException ex) {

}
}

public void setHorizontalCalibration() {
    SendCommand(','); CommandDelay();
    SendCommand('c'); CommandDelay();
    SendCommand('y'); CommandDelay();
    SendCommand('y'); CommandDelay();
    SendCommand('y');
}

Also, the GotWay app sends "n" command when we set temperature reading. Maybe MicroWorks improved the information sent and the temperature is always sent.
Also the commands you documented for disable the speed warnings does not work.

https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/MicroWorks-30B4---30km-h-controller-board-with-bluetooth#UART_Bluetooth_protocol_information

Commands:

• Beep: Vibrate during five seconds: "b"
  • Vibrate during five seconds: ",bbbbbbbbb"
  • Ride mode - Madden: "hb"
  • Ride mode - Comfort: "fb"
  • Ride mode - Comfort: "sb"
  • Horizontal alignment: ",cycycy"
  • View current: "m"
  • Check temperature: "n" - looks like it could be continuously send to the wheel at some point, but I haven't figured out the logic which does it at least yet

NOTE: all the bytes sent in the commands should have a delay of 500ms between each of them.

We just wrote a wiki page for the app: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/EGG-app

EGG app

This app should work with Electric Unicycles that uses the MicroWorks 30B4 controller board. It is OpenSource and the sources are on Github.

You can download the Android app and see screenshots here.

Main features of the app:

• Shows real time speed, trip distance and battery state
  • Advanced view shows also motor current, motor voltage and board temperature
  • Beep the EUC buzzer
  • Horizontal calibration of the wheel
  • Calibration of 3 riding modes: Madden, Comfort and Soft
f6f14fc0-6028-11e6-9049-fef94533281d.png

6fb1410e-658d-11e6-8de5-fb7f1250b564.png

Motivations

There are a few reasons that move us everyday on developing OpenSource technology and knowledge for Electric Unicycles. Our inspiration comes from many successful OpenSource projects like: Wikipedia; Linux; Arduino; RepRap.

We have kids and we want to improve the world for them, the new generations - we really believe in reducing the CO2 emissions for a greener environment.

Acknowledgments

License

EGG Electric Unicycle app has a GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3 because we believe in OpenSource. Please do not use this app and/or code in products that are closed source or are crippled by a patent.

Ok, I tested the latest version and it works great. In fact, it seems to connect even more reliably than the original Gotway app. My new phone also seems to display all the symbols which were previously missing with my old one.

However, I still have a couple of questions:

1. The amp readings seem rather high. During acceleration, I get up to 37 amps, which would mean way over 2kW. I understand that the motor will temporarily draw more than the rated 500W, but these readings seem rather high to me. Especially since the value seems to be over 10A even at constant riding speed, which would mean more than 600W power, even though this is only supposed to be a 500W motor.

2. Is there any possibility to have the app start directly in advanced mode? I see no advantage in starting in simple mode first.EggApp.jpg

42 minutes ago, MattJ said:

1. The amp readings seem rather high. During acceleration, I get up to 37 amps, which would mean way over 2kW. I understand that the motor will temporarily draw more than the rated 500W, but these readings seem rather high to me. Especially since the value seems to be over 10A even at constant riding speed, which would mean more than 600W power, even though this is only supposed to be a 500W motor.

2. Is there any possibility to have the app start directly in advanced mode? I see no advantage in starting in simple mode first.

Thanks!!

1. Well, can you please test with the "gotway" app again and compare? I recall to see the same value, I think.

2. That's an idea. Maybe an option for user select that preference. We would like to implement some preferences but I don't know when that may happen. I challenge you to look at the code and hack it :-)

There is some improvements on github repo that , I will try to make a aleixonunes did, I will checkout the code and make a new version / APK.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like very much to use the app. And I greatly appreciate all the effort people put in improving things.

Can the app be used for ACM 16? I guess, it depends on the controller board, right? But I have no idea, which one is in ACM :(

• 2 weeks later...

@electric_vehicle_lover since there was no answer so far whether it works with the ACM or not I just downloaded your app and will test it with my ACM tomorrow afternoon. 

On the left hand listing sheet where you choose the page that you want to have displayed, wouldn't it makes sense to change the wording "Calibration" into "Settings"? Because "calibration" is only one part of that page... 

Being already there, is it possible to also add settings for alarms as well as tilt back? Then it would be one hundred percent perfect, without that (as it is now) it's just 99,9 percent perfect... ?????

I just tried to connect the app with my LG G4 DUALSIM and similar to the original Gotway app it wouldn't connect... Unfortunately! 

The only app that works with my smartphone is the WheelLog app. But this one does not allow settings whatsoever... Thus, I will have to always use a second phone (Galaxy S2) to make setting changes... It's kind of a nightmare for me... 

On 8/16/2016 at 0:28 PM, 1kw said:

Having the motor and not the control board available it is a problem. Since the controller is not available this motor could only be used as a replacement motor, but by my experience most motors do not fail it is the control boards that usually fails.

Hi @EUC-Lover.

The app was developed on the August holidays by my girlfriend. She is busy right now and don't have a plan to develop on next months and she will focus on work.
The only way to add new features is to put the hands at a work. I am investing on firmware and it will be my focus, I believe this is where I can make more impact and is what I am motivated for.

The EGG app is OpenSource so anyone can go improve it. Android programming is not difficult for the ones that have time and want to learn it.

I don't have ACM so it is almost impossible to make it working without see and test the information over bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello electric_vehicle_lover,

I have a question according the App:

Is it also possible to show the total distance on it, to see how much km the wheel has made?

Or is there no memory for this value on the MICROWORKS 30B4 controller?

Would be great...!

Archived