Ninebot One S2 vs InMotion V5F+

houseofjob

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my brand new shiny white V5F+ in the mail today!! (super fast shipping from FL to NY at 4 business days, thanks @Jason McNeil!!), so I thought I'd share some more insights now that I have the wheel in hand (will add the following to my original post as well):

GRIPTAPE

The V5F+ pedals are way grippier than the S2. The S2 griptape is similar to a fingernail file, while the V5F+ has a deeper, more textured grooves, ala heavier duty skateboard griptape.

POWERING

The power connector looks very USB-esque, but the best part is, it's symmetrical! Meaning, there's no wrong way to plug it in, unlike every other EUC power connector out (LEMO, GX16, etc.). Think all wheels should use this, as I always hate fumbling to quickly plug the chord in (wish I knew the name of this connector type...)

Charging the powered off V5F+ will automatically turn on a rolling light display (which I cannot seem to turn off) that shows the progress of charging via the battery indicator. The S2 has a similar display, but you have to turn it on manually. Both wheels when plugged in and in this battery display mode do not engage the gyroscope.

*One note about the V5F+ power button is that it is very sensitive. While installing the trolley handle, I repeatedly turned the wheel on unintentionally.

TROLLEY HANDLE / PORTABILITY

From pictures, I assumed that the V5F+ trolley handle was metal, but in hand, that was not the case. The trolley handle is made up of primarily a sturdy plastic (like a plastic wiffle ball bat) with a rubber grip and feels hollow on the inside. This material choice makes sense to keep the total weight of the unit down.

Plastic aside, the trolley handle feels plenty sturdy, and with the curved design, I'm able to easily push the wheel around, even when the wheel is not powered on. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to lift the wheel by the extended trolley handle, as I think that would put unnecessary stress on it.

And although both V5F+ with trolley handle installed and the S2 weigh 27 lbs, the V5F+ for some odd reason feels a little lighter when carrying. Not sure why, but might be due to the V5F+ battery residing higher in the unit than the S2 batteries.

CALIBRATION

I really like the V5F+ calibration vs other systems I've experienced. You basically adjust a slider in the app, which will immediately and incrementally re-level the wheel accordingly, without having to restart/re-power on the wheel. In comparison, the Ninebot and KingSong calibrations require you to have steady hands in manually adjusting the wheel to the right level, and then holding that position while fumbling to lock in that setting in the app with an app button press, or having to press the physical power button on the wheel. 

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

From pictures, I assumed that the V5F+ trolley handle was metal, but in hand, that was not the case. The trolley handle is made up of primarily a sturdy plastic (like a plastic wiffle ball bat) with a rubber grip and feels hollow on the inside. This material choice makes sense to keep the total weight of the unit down.

Hi, I do not agree, my trolley handle is made of aluminium. Feels pretty light - but it is not made of plasic!

When charging the wheel, the BT module is switched on and can be connected via App.

1 hour ago, Fahrtwind said:

Hi, I do not agree, my trolley handle is made of aluminium. Feels pretty light - but it is not made of plasic!

Same here -- I have scratches to prove it!

@houseofjob: 1.) touch it, it feels cold even at room temperatur because of the better thermal conductivity versus plastic.

2.) Knock with a metal part (e.g. a jewlery ring) against it, the resulting tone is a high bling

3.) scratch it. It it anodized aluminium, there is silver metal underneath

4.) solve it in Sodium hydroxide solution :D

5.) heat up a needle and sting it :blink:

12 minutes ago, Fahrtwind said:

@houseofjob: 1.) touch it, it feels cold even at room temperatur because of the better thermal conductivity versus plastic.

2.) Knock with a metal part (e.g. a jewlery ring) against it, the resulting tone is a high bling

3.) scratch it. It it anodized aluminium, there is silver metal underneath

4.) solve it in Sodium hydroxide solution :D

5.) heat up a needle and sting it :blink:

Okay, gotcha (I'm not doing all that BTW ?).

Why doesn't it feel stronger or heavier then?

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Okay, gotcha (I'm not doing all that BTW ?).

Why doesn't it feel stronger or heavier then?

It's hollow (look at how it's attached at the hinge). Maybe you have a different handle though, mine feels very strong.

1 minute ago, thefork said:

It's hollow (look at how it's attached at the hinge). Maybe you have a different handle though, mine feels very strong.

Yes, I know it's hollow, and while mine is solid and sturdy, it has a certain softness to the touch as well that threw me off.

So an aluminum hollow handle of this size can weigh just under a pound?

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, I know it's hollow, and while mine is solid and sturdy, it has a certain softness to the touch as well that threw me off.

So an aluminum hollow handle of this size can weigh just under a pound?

Yes, definitely.

rps20160728_140223_754.jpg

Ok, I couldn't put my finger on it during last weekend's test drive, but now that I've had a few work commutes and grocery runs on my V5F+, I've got a better sense of the handling style.

The V5F+ has a natural action to want to drive in an elliptical, side-to-side turning manner. Combined with the high pedal height and slight waviness from braking to acceleration, I think this is why people are initially claiming 'instability' (when it's really more unfamiliarity and unawareness of this nature).

Because of this action, driving in a straight line will give a slight resistance.

This IMO makes the V5F+ perfect for slaloming, as the wheel naturally wants to keep turning, and the high, non-wide pedals allow for a deeper carve to each turn.

8 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

@houseofjob, what's you pedal angle preference? Maybe it's from the time using the 14C, but I find the sweet-spot is the -3° (forward slope). 

Do you mean the V-shape angle of the pedals?

I don't mind a harder V angle to the pedals (ala KingSong(?)); the more leverage the better, griptape regardless, and deeper angled turns without pedal scrape!

29 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ok, I couldn't put my finger on it during last weekend's test drive, but now that I've had a few work commutes and grocery runs on my V5F+, I've got a better sense of the handling style.

The V5F+ has a natural action to want to drive in an elliptical, side-to-side turning manner. Combined with the high pedal height and slight waviness from braking to acceleration, I think this is why people are initially claiming 'instability' (when it's really more unfamiliarity and unawareness of this nature).

Because of this action, driving in a straight line will give a slight resistance.

This IMO makes the V5F+ perfect for slaloming, as the wheel naturally wants to keep turning, and the high, non-wide pedals allow for a deeper carve to each turn.

Maybe the profile of the tire has something to do with it (it's very rounded)? I have sometimes felt an eagerness from the wheel to want to turn a little while I'm going straight forward.

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Do you mean the V-shape angle of the pedals?

I don't mind a harder V angle to the pedals (ala KingSong(?)); the more leverage the better, griptape regardless, and deeper angled turns without pedal scrape!

I think what @Jason McNeil meant was the fore/aft angle. I have set mine to -6, which with the trolley handle mounted is neutral (it came with -3 already from factory, maybe a final "calibration"?). I'm thinking about going to -7 or -8 for a slight forward tilt though, that might make it easier for the feet when going longer distances. I guess the best thing would be to perform a real calibration with the handle mounted first though.

It's surprising not to hear as many complaints about the small pedal size on the V5F+ as compared to other wheels that have come out.  I wonder - are the larger V8 pedals available for purchase separately, and can they be used on the V5F+ if someone is looking for a larger pedal size?  The higher pedal placement on the V5F+ should allow for larger pedals without problems with skimming the ground I think?

I think the eager turning tendency might be coming from the fact that the pedals are higher making the lever arm shorter raising your centre of gravity in relation to the axis point making it more "tipsy" but more responsive as well? 

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's surprising not to hear as many complaints about the small pedal size on the V5F+ as compared to other wheels that have come out.  I wonder - are the larger V8 pedals available for purchase separately, and can they be used on the V5F+ if someone is looking for a larger pedal size?  The higher pedal placement on the V5F+ should allow for larger pedals without problems with skimming the ground I think?

I think the eager turning tendency might be coming from the fact that the pedals are higher making the lever arm shorter raising your centre of gravity in relation to the axis point making it more "tipsy" but more responsive as well? 

Yes, this would be my slight niggle with the V5F+ if one is in the mood of complaining: I would have preferred somewhat larger pedals (I have shoe size US 9). @Jason McNeil, if the V8 pedals indeed are larger than the V5 dito, and they can be fitted on the machine of the latter, are they something that can be ordered separately?

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

i think the v5f pedals are still bigger than mcm? because they are rounded i think they are very long?

you are the first person who is saying they are to small?

or do i get something wrong?

No no, I don't even have a V5F+, but traditionally there's usually a comment about how small pedals are for size 10 and larger feet for any wheel that comes out from China.  That's usually followed by people thinking up ideas of how to swap larger pedals on.  I just thought it was interesting that no one has mentioned the pedals.  Maybe they are just fine the way they are as no one has mentioned it?  I'm not sure.  I just thought maybe if the V8 pedals were interchangeable (wouldn't that be convenient?) with the V5F+ pedals, that would give people some options to consider if they are having a problem with the pedal size.  Maybe I'm bringing up a problem that doesn't exist?  :wacko:

Yes, when i rode it i thought the pedals were a bit small ( not wide enough). I think the length was consistent with most other wheels, but longer is always better ( unless they start scratching on pavement)

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

V8 Pedals can be retrofitted to the the V5F+.
Added the V8 as a preorder item on eWheels.com today. All the graphics content is from Inmotion, until I get the sample to take some original photos with, content is mine.
https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-pre-order-inmotion-v8/

Will you add it to WheelGo.com as well? Also - what about spare / additional battery packs? Surely some people would like to order some extra right away with the wheel ...

EDIT: Sorry - I've now read the info in the FAQ about the spare battery packs at pre-order page ;)

Archived