jer

PS it's July, awfully quiet

These were supposed to have landed by now.

If it is not gone belly up some kind of statement would be handy.

If it has gone belly up, then it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks

Jer

Edited by jer
spelling

The construction quality of the units they demonstrated months ago seemed very good and the industrial design was top notch, but the batteries were very small which affects safety. You can swap batteries to improve range but pairing a supposed 1500 watt motor with a single 132Wh battery is quite a mismatch. At this point I am not sure it makes sense to release the product they announced back then.

@Keith I had forgotten those weren't LiIon batteries, so good point there. Still, even their claimed range of 11km is pretty low and no doubt optmistic. Perhaps we aren't their target customer but at this point nobody is their customer because they aren't selling product. They wasted a lot of good PR exposure by not shipping anything yet.

• Upvote 2

Anyone got any updates? I have a feeling this wheel has been keyser soze'd

20 minutes ago, lizardmech said:

I looked up a few of the engineers, their linkedin profiles say they finished at uniwheel in July. They gave the impression the product design was finished and ready for production. I suppose either it's in production and will be shipping soon or they opted to cancel production for some reason, possibly they wanted a certain amount of preorders before going ahead.

Clever investigation Chief Inspector @lizardmech ;-) Does it look like they kept any of their design team?

Would they really declare a product complete, ready for market and then sack their designers? Would they be that confident the design would have zero issues on launch and the product is so perfect they couldn't improve it?

Hmmm..... Doesn't sound good does it? 

I really liked the wheel, but I wasn't going to commit to something that wasn't out, particularly as it REALLY needs a spare battery and they couldn't even give a price for one.

I liked even more that there would be somebody in the UK helping to fight archaic pointless laws that do nothing more than restrict the development of 21st Century low carbon transport. I wonder if failure to achieve any headway there that might be a reason to quit?

• Upvote 2

Didn't they have (at least) prototypes they we're showing at some of the shows? I think some people here actually got to try it sometime...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, esaj said:

Didn't they have (at least) prototypes they we're showing at some of the shows? I think some people here actually got to try it sometime...

Indeed that is so. There is a Which report (March 2016) with video footage of at least 4 working Uniwheels with journalists trying to stay upright on them here: http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/transport/is-the-uniwheel-the-future-of-personal-mobility/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=whichtecht&utm_content=uniwheel170616&utm_term=twtechdaily.

There is also an interesting Russian article from December 2015 http://www.yugopolis.ru/news/auto/2015/12/10/88937/tehnologii-transport-evgenii-chichvarkin-monokoleso-timur-artemev

Google translates a key part of it as:" The Project42 has 50 people working today, two offices of the company - in London and Moscow. Artemyev, in his "rough estimate", has already spent on the development of $ 5-6 million is not going to stop investing in the company (he does not name a specific amount of planned investments). 

"To attract investors, while not prove that it is running a business that makes a profit, it is meaningless. First commercial success, then investors ", - said Artemev. The businessman said that the patent for an invention he does not, but the corresponding applications have already been submitted. 

He admitted he did not know when the investment will pay off, and the company will begin to earn, because it is "difficult to predict". However, Artemiev expects that in a few years <electric wheels> from Project42 will ride 3-5% of the population in the world
."

So perhaps patents like this one: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20090266629 are what is causing launch delays?

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, esaj said:

The problem is with EUC startups is anyone can take a generic chinese controller and motor to use it as a demonstration model.  Until they talk about their motor and control hardware you have no way to tell what is inside. There was an Australian one like that as well, money spent on marketing, a demo model with nice looking case but few technical details and they appeared to be looking for investors and preorders.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, lizardmech said:

There was an Australian one like that as well, money spent on marketing, a demo model with nice looking case but few technical details and they appeared to be looking for investors and preorders.

The one where Firewheel sto... loaned their design from? ;)   

Mono Electric Wheel:

http://www.ewheels.org/catalog/single-wheels/mono-electric?sku=0

Firewheel:

http://www.ewheels.org/catalog/single-wheels/firewheel?sku=[sku]

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, esaj said:

The one where Firewheel sto... loaned their design from? ;)   

Mono Electric Wheel:

http://www.ewheels.org/catalog/single-wheels/mono-electric?sku=0

Firewheel:

http://www.ewheels.org/catalog/single-wheels/firewheel?sku=[sku]

Actually I looked that company up, it looked like just an advertising guy and an industrial designer so I didn't think they made any electronics.

If only firewheel had ripped off the design correctly, the monowheel cover is one piece, while firewheel just cut it in half and have a seam running down the middle like every other EUC,

• Upvote 2

They are posting on social media again, hopefully it was just a small delay and it's still being released.

@Paddylaz, really! Can you get him to give us a review after a week or two of use?

And, if you get e chance, how it compares with the V5F+?

Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 3

@Paddylaz

You sure he got one? Haven't seen anything more about them anywhere.

They did have a job listing for checking production in Shenzhen about 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, lizardmech said:

@Paddylaz

You sure he got one? Haven't seen anything more about them anywhere.

They did have a job listing for checking production in Shenzhen about 3 weeks ago.

no I was only joking!! Was just mocking them for the fact that this is clearly just never coming

• Upvote 2

They could've made a fortune through crowdfunding....but it's too late now, everybody probably realises by now this is vaporware.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:10 AM, Jurgen said:

They could've made a fortune through crowdfunding....but it's too late now, everybody probably realises by now this is vaporware.

"Take the ride of your life" "The urban head turner" "No detail compromised" "Designed to last"

Wow, this is awesome! How do I order?

"Leave your email address to be the first to learn about our wheel"

• Upvote 1

On October 5, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Jurgen said:

That may have helped but looked what is going on with the Lily Drone! That company raised over $30M on Go Fund Me and they are now 18 months behind their promised release date! Customers are now cancelling their pre-orders due to the long delays along with the recent release of the Mavic Drone and upcoming release of the GoPro Karma on October 23rd.  Hopefully people who preordered the Lily will be able to get their refunds.

@Questor did you receive your Lily refund yet?

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2016 at 0:30 PM, Rehab1 said:

@Questor did you receive your Lily refund yet?

On 10/8/2016 at 0:30 PM, Rehab1 said:

Hello Rehab.

We did send several messages back and fourth and I do have an email saying they will return my funds in 15 days. But that was September 30th and I have not received the refund yet.

Q~

Edited by Questor