Mini Pro charging light explanation? Help!

So I don't really understand the charging light on the mini Pro.

Can someone explain why sometimes the battery light on the front is solid (not flashing) when it appears fully charged, and other times all 5 bars are flashing when it's fully charged? 

The AC adapter LED also seems to be randomly green or red depending on its mood when the device is charged.

Thanks!

The ac adapter is the key here. I'd ignore the light on mini and just use the AC adapter.   I noticed that it's green but barely!  My NB One P charger is bright green when fully charged so I think they put a too weak light in this ac adapter.   You have to hold it at an angle to see it..geez!

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

The ac adapter is the key here. I'd ignore the light on mini and just use the AC adapter.   I noticed that it's green but barely!  My NB One P charger is bright green when fully charged so I think they put a too weak light in this ac adapter.   You have to hold it at an angle to see it..geez!

Right, so when it's red it's charging, and when it's green it's charged. Unless someone corrects me, you plug the AC adapter in, and the light on it goes red. At this point each battery bar will flash. So, if the battery is empty, the bottom bar will flash, and then go solid, at which point the bar above will flash, and go solid (along with the bottom bar), at which point the top bar is always the one flashing. Then, eventually, all FIVE bars will go completely solid (for reasons I don't understand), but this does NOT mean it's charged. Wait some more, and then all 5 battery levels will flash, at which point the AC adapter will turn green. I think THIS means it's fully charged at this point.

So, to reiterate: ALL FIVE BARS ARE FLASHING = CHARGED. I have two miniPROs, and both do this. 

Also, the LED on both my AC adapters is easy to see when green. Not sure why your one is hard to see?

Edited by WilliamG

6 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Right, so when it's red it's charging, and when it's green it's charged. Unless someone corrects me, you plug the AC adapter in, and the light on it goes red. At this point each battery bar will flash. So, if the battery is empty, the bottom bar will flash, and then go solid, at which point the bar above will flash, and go solid (along with the bottom bar), at which point the top bar is always the one flashing. Then, eventually, all FIVE bars will go completely solid (for reasons I don't understand), but this does NOT mean it's charged. Wait some more, and then all 5 battery levels will flash, at which point the AC adapter will turn green. I think THIS means it's fully charged at this point.

So, to reiterate: ALL FIVE BARS ARE FLASHING = CHARGED. I have two miniPROs, and both do this. 

Also, the LED on both my AC adapters is easy to see when green. Not sure why your one is hard to see?

when it's flashing it's enterly charged, when there s only 5 bar fully lighted with no flashing it's charged at 85% average , sometimes it's good for lithium battery

It's extremely counter-intuitive compared to any other chargeable device I've owned. Solid light should always mean charged, flashing should always equal charging. It's a poor UI choice, and I'm not sure why Ninebot made it so obviously confusing to the end user. 

There's really no reason the charge indicator should flash, then go solid, and then flash again to indicate full charge. Just very odd. 

Still love the thing, of course. :D

Edited by WilliamG

5 hours ago, WilliamG said:

It's extremely counter-intuitive compared to any other chargeable device I've owned. Solid light should always mean charged, flashing should always equal charging. It's a poor UI choice, and I'm not sure why Ninebot made it so obviously confusing to the end user. 

There's really no reason the charge indicator should flash, then go solid, and then flash again to indicate full charge. Just very odd. 

Still love the thing, of course. :D

The best for keep lithium ion battery is a charge around 85/90% for more long life battery, well like everybody i want my fully battery but i know it isn't good.

Other: it's not good charge the battery immediately after a ride, it's better wait battery is "cold" for charge ; it's like a marshmallow, you take it in your hand, it becomes distorted, and after it's take it's original state/form, me i wait 30mn/1hour before charge, between a finishing ride and charge.

look "remaining capacity" it's increase when your mini is in motionless

Edited by jojo33

• 4 weeks later...

I have two miniPRO, both at the same firmware version, 1.3.1. When charging, the 5 bars begin flashing when it nears the end of the charge cycle. One seems to flash earlier, while the power brick LED is red, and the other begins flashing when the power brick LED turns amber. So long story short, I just pay attention to the power brick LED.

jojo33 is right on "waiting" between operation and charging (or vice-versa) to allow batteries to cool. This is a good rule of thumb for any battery maintenance. Also, deep cycles, i.e. completely depleting batteries, will shorten battery life as well.

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2016 at 6:58 PM, Vik's said:

Ditto.

And one can leave charger connected overnight once in a while so the battery gets some balancing between the cells.

I don’t know for sure, however, it’s probably best to unplug right after charging.

Overnight charging doesn’t seem right for some reason.

Hi sorry for starting this thread up again, but just wanna ask a question. I charge my ninebot mini and when I plug it in, it shows the battery blinking and so. But when the adapter's light turn green, the ninebot's battery indicator/screen goes blank. Is that normal? Mine is an original everything is original. Thanks!! 

7 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

I don’t know for sure, however, it’s probably best to unplug right after charging.

Overnight charging doesn’t seem right for some reason.

"some reason" would likely to be those stinky "hoverboards"?

No problem in charging MiniPro a little extra. Not every time you charge them but "trickle charge" to allow the units to balance the cells in the battery pack is a good idea every now and then.

7 hours ago, Matthew Soh said:

Hi sorry for starting this thread up again, but just wanna ask a question. I charge my ninebot mini and when I plug it in, it shows the battery blinking and so. But when the adapter's light turn green, the ninebot's battery indicator/screen goes blank. Is that normal? Mine is an original everything is original. Thanks!! 

Sounds different from what I see on mine.

First thing to check is - if voltage is right (63V) or too low from the charger.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the Asian mini and pro have two different Voltage chargers 63 v 70 w for mini, 60 v 120 w for Pro... maybe because to lower the taxing of the China grid with the million of minis pluging in....?

Yes it turns green first, but is still charging, it is topped off when it flashing...just use a power meter to show that...

Edited by MetricUSA

• 2 years later...

I'm wondering if anybody can help me I have a Segway that got wet and I've taken it apart and dried it out when I plug the battery in the green light on the back of the battery turns red and flashes when I unplugged the battery the light turns green again and flashes what does that mean can someone help please thank you

On 5/14/2020 at 9:08 PM, ted said:

I'm wondering if anybody can help me I have a Segway that got wet and I've taken it apart and dried it out when I plug the battery in the green light on the back of the battery turns red and flashes when I unplugged the battery the light turns green again and flashes what does that mean can someone help please thank you

Green flashing light means good.  Red flashing light means charging.  If you want it fully charged, plug it in and wait until the red light turns green, and it is fully charged and balanced.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, Ian Summerfield said:

Hi, my mini Pro battery lights  5 of them, flashing for quite a while, but charger light still red. Do I wait for it to go green? Thanks in advance

No, I would not wait once the Mini Pro is flashing all bars.  Sounds like the charger may be out of spec, or the MiniPro is, but most likely the charger had drifted out of spec.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, Ian Summerfield said:

Hi, my mini Pro battery lights  5 of them, flashing for quite a while, but charger light still red. Do I wait for it to go green? Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, FreeRide said:

No, I would not wait once the Mini Pro is flashing all bars.  Sounds like the charger may be out of spec, or the MiniPro is, but most likely the charger had drifted out of spec.

Oh I think this is normal, mine does this as well, I think when all bars are flashing it is near 100% but not completely, then when charger light turns green, it is totally charged at 100% and no longer charging. And when just all bars illuminated, but not flashing, seems to be around 80% or so. It's up to you if you would rather wait longer for a slightly full battery, but I don't think it would affect the battery adversely either way. I don't know why Ninebot does this, or why they don't explain any of this.

on MiniPro All lights flashing should been charged and balanced.  I suppose it might be possible that if the cells balance at a low voltage then the charger may continue, but generally the charger turns green, and then sometime later, and it can be a while, all bars flash.  This is the original design, I've been charging my mini-pros for a good number of years.  However I will add that now I use a 63V charger, and with the stock charger there is more voltage difference possible since 100% is not 100% but the software is programmed to lie as it is 100% as per original NA spec.   However in the past my stock charger worked the same, green first then all-bars flashing. Most people were pulling the plug before all bars flashing, causing some issues with their battery.  The original documentation states it the way I have explained, but ....