King Song 14C 800W 680Wh - Broken

Liam Mit

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Does anyone know if replacement motors are available for purchase anywhere? Mine hasn't broken yet, but I'm starting to worry a lot as I near 1000 miles. 

It's a throw-away wheel. :)

Bust it up, then trash it.

On mine, the odometer is broken, so does that mean my KS14c is still good for 900 more miles?

Man, I got fucked on mine. Paid 700 and then Kale showed up a couple weeks later dishing them for 500. That extra makes me want to fix it if it breaks. I'd like a 16 or an 18 inch wheel but this is all I have now, and would not mind a backup motor and maybe control board for it. I really love riding my 14c, it's a nice little wheel. 

On 7/14/2017 at 0:34 PM, kasenutty said:

Man, I got fucked on mine. Paid 700 and then Kale showed up a couple weeks later dishing them for 500. That extra makes me want to fix it if it breaks. I'd like a 16 or an 18 inch wheel but this is all I have now, and would not mind a backup motor and maybe control board for it. I really love riding my 14c, it's a nice little wheel. 

Yeah, you can get a brand-new KS14D for a tiny bit more, and it won't have the axle or overcharge problems.

I have noticed some creaking and flexing recently, I'm unsure if it's more or if it was always there.

"Oh, I really like this KS14c suspension!"

"That's not the suspension, lard-ass, that's the whole damned wheel flexing under you!"

I've noticed the same kinda noises, so I'm scared too. I'd really like to have a spare motor sitting around. This is my only wheel and I am terrified of being wheel-less, but just can't afford another wheel right now. 

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I've noticed the same kinda noises, so I'm scared too. I'd really like to have a spare motor sitting around. This is my only wheel and I am terrified of being wheel-less, but just can't afford another wheel right now. 

Gimme an offer for a V5F+ with spare shell and spare pedals.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:32 AM, kasenutty said:

Does anyone know if replacement motors are available for purchase anywhere? Mine hasn't broken yet, but I'm starting to worry a lot as I near 1000 miles. 

It appears that @Jason McNeil has control boards, but I'm not sure about motors...

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-14-control-board/

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Gimme an offer for a V5F+ with spare shell and spare pedals.

Man, that'd be a great backup. I'm moving into a new place in about a week so I'm pretty broke, but I might PM you in two weeks or so :D

I broke everything down today, and couldn't find a crack in the axle, but had some loose weird pedals. I tightened them up and put everything back together and now when I power up the wheel wants to go full speed forward, then full speed backward. It shut off after that and will not turn on anymore. Did I fry my control board while I was in there maybe? 

13 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I broke everything down today, and couldn't find a crack in the axle, but had some loose weird pedals. I tightened them up and put everything back together and now when I power up the wheel wants to go full speed forward, then full speed backward. It shut off after that and will not turn on anymore. Did I fry my control board while I was in there maybe? 

That's bizarre. By the way, last night I did exactly what you did (many bolts were quite loose so I locktited them up), and I didn't have a cracked axle either, and my weird flexing pedals went away.

Powered up normally. It's solid. Heh I love this little wheel.

I also changed covers and pedals on my V5F+; it also suffered from many loose bolts like 6 out of 20 were loose. Like one was dangling.

I've never seen a metal screw come loose from a plastic receiver, metal to metal often comes loose. Metal into plastic, never. Except here. So something about EUC'S must vibrate perfectly.

When I first got my V5 100% of the handle bolts kept coming loose. Locktited them Suns Um Beeches.

14 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I would disassemble it, look up everything, making sure everything is connected properly, no obvious short circuits and put it back together again and then go from there 

14 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Did you reconnect the motor and sensor cables correctly?

Sounds like wrong connections...Not so easy to fry the Board from simple maintenance!

On 2017-07-21 at 7:01 PM, kasenutty said:

If you can post some photos of the board, maybe that will help.  Double check that the power button connector is seated into the right spot on the control board.  Maybe you have something connected to the calibration jumper.

• 3 months later...

Well today my 14c axle cracked too.  Am I no. 5, 6,or7 on this thread?  Happened on the left side where the axle is weakest due to being bored out to accept the motor cables. I bought it 13 months ago and have less than 900 miles on it.  I never jump up curbs, rarely jump down curbs, and never ride on one leg because I can't.  I'm 79 kg, and never do tricks like carrying a passenger.  Since hearing of this problem, last year I have babied my axles in order not to be on this list.  Not even that was good enough.  So now I must add "KrackSong" to my list of alternate names for brands with problems.

I've looked at my axle before, but I'd like to say what if thought then, that this is a shockingly poorly designed piece of steel.  It violates EVERY Principle of good engineering practice.  Without thinking for more than a minute I can see at least five, no extra cost, ways of improving this critical connection. AND I'M NOT EVEN AN ENGINEER!!

1. Square the shaft on the 6 and 9 O'clock  (and not the 12 and 6 position as it is now) so that maximum thickness is at the 12 O'clock position; which is most under stress from the rider's weight.

2. Square the shaft to a tiny fraction of the current amount to minimise material  loss ( and strength) in general.

3. Apply 1. And 2. Above to a thicker axle, possibly by at least 50% or more if it doesn't interfere with motor design.

4. Do not shave the axle at all.  Secure pedal mounts to an un shaved axle by another method, there are many.

5. The larger axle from 3. And the unshared axle from 4.

I'm going to fire off an email to my supplier (electro-sport.de) to see what they have to say.

^^ While I burn through my KS14c miles, I do so with the understanding it will break. It probably should have already, and I wouldn't have bought this wheel if I had read this thread.

Still, I should probably retire my KS14c and give it to my girlfriend instead. Given enough time, this wheel will crack...and I weight 100kg plus.

Have you looked at the KS14s lately?

Just now, Smoother said:

I don't understand this question 

The KS14s fixes all the original problems of the KS14c. If I could afford it then I'd simply get the KS14s instead of trying to fix the KS14c because replacing the motor and such merely buys you another 900 miles instead of actually fixing the original problem.

Oh I see.  No. I recently bought a 16s.  Kind of prophetic.  I had no expectations of my 14c taking a dump, especially as I put as little demand on the pedals as possible.   I just took advantage of a sale.

I'll see what electric-sport says.  If i'm stuck with a broken axle, I have a few ideas to repair it and make it stronger, but they require the removal of the wires from the axle, and so far that has illuded me.  I have the motor out of the rim , and the other side of the housing off the motor, but the housing on the wiring side, resists removal.  Until I can get that side off, I can't remove the wires from the axle.  Any ideas, anyone?

4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh I see.  No. I recently bought a 16s.  Kind of prophetic.  I had no expectations of my 14c taking a dump, especially as I put as little demand on the pedals as possible.   I just took advantage of a sale.

I'll see what electric-sport says.  If i'm stuck with a broken axle, I have a few ideas to repair it and make it stronger, but they require the removal of the wires from the axle, and so far that has illuded me.  I have the motor out of the rim , and the other side of the housing off the motor, but the housing on the wiring side, resists removal.  Until I can get that side off, I can't remove the wires from the axle.  Any ideas, anyone?

Wait, did you buy the KS14c on that $500 deal that guy was doing? New old stock.

Interestingly, I bought a KS16s too, but I still rode my KS14c plenty.

Sorry, I can see that the way I wrote that was ambiguous. Paid normal price for 14c last year, bought 16s on sale 3 weeks ago. Was thinking I would hate the 14c after riding the 16s but surprisingly I enjoy riding both ( until now, of course). The 14c is a good little wheel, with a glass axle ?

The problem with axle is well known. King Song replace all axles with 10 mm narrowing for pillar to 12 mm. All King Song unicycles from begining of 2017 have 12 mm axles.

We had two warranty services related to the axle. One in KS14D and one in KS16. We replaced axle to 12 mm together with new pillar (12 mm hole).

We can replace axle together with new pillar for 140 Euro (+ around 25 Euro cost of transport in EU).

20170817_093039S.jpg

20170817_124007S.jpg

20170817_125507S.jpg

axes.jpg

20171121_100934S.jpg

20170914_133612S.jpg

@KS Poland this is the first good news about this problem, since the problem was first reported.  A genuine "light at the end of the tunnel" for all us 14C owners. At least those of us here in (or near) europe.

I'm still talking to my dealer in Germany who emailed me today, saying he had never heard of this problem !!!  He's talking to 1Radwerkk to see what can be done. Hopefully, 1Radwerkk, the official German importer, HAS heard of this well known problem, and has a similar solution.  And hopefully someone in the Western Hemisphere can do this too.

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm still talking to my dealer in Germany who emailed me today, saying he had never heard of this problem !!!  He's talking to 1Radwerkk to see what can be done. Hopefully, 1Radwerkk, the official German importer, HAS heard of this well known problem, and has a similar solution

Ferenc (electro-sport) is not doing any repairs, he is giving them all to Chris from 1radwerkstatt. Sure he will know about this Problem, the question is if he can provide "just" a new axle (a press is needed) or if he will fix it with a new Motor....Keep us updated.

@KS Poland That's the first time i hear of a KS Seller beeing able to repair the axle Problems, and that also for a reasonable Price! Respects for that!!!

Archived