King Song 14C 800W 680Wh - Broken

Liam Mit

2 hours ago, Trucktent said:

The orientation of the wheel is sensed by the control board when it is turned on. All it cares about is how vertical and horizontal the unit is at startup and provides adjustment and feedback from there. Interesting point you make. Because with the right mount to the shell it could be possible to have a 360 degree tilt back function. 

Thats strange, when i put the pedals on rotated 180 in the past by mistake, my wheel was going haywire....interesting to know it can ride rotated 180. When i get home, i will turn the wheel upside down and see if it can balance

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/12/2016 at 9:01 PM, KingSong69 said:

Yes, thats doable....And yes, someone has done!

Our Forum hero- EUCextreme, has changed the axxis to a better one...using a hydraulic press!

so it is possible...

Hello there!

I'm considering buying a KS-14c aswell, and would like to see the post/link you are talking about. I am not able to find it on the forum. :(

3 minutes ago, Mougna said:

Hello there!

I'm considering buying a KS-14c aswell, and would like to see the post/link you are talking about. I am not able to find it on the forum. :(

sorry...i dont know where i saw it...can even have been on Facebook!

17 hours ago, Mougna said:

Ok, thanks anyway. ;)

I'm hesitating between an used KS-14c (witout warranty) and a new Ninebot One S2, but all the broken axis on KS-14c & overheating is frightening...

Hello @mougna, and welcome.  As a happy owner of a 14c (4 months and 800km)I can tell you I have no regrets. Yes, there have been some issues, but overall, for the money I paid, €800 I'd make the same decisions again, if I was a new EUC rider.  I don't think many S2 riders would say that.  Not that Ninebot s are bad, it's just that almost everyone here who stared with a Ninebot shortly wished for more speed.  Maybe not for the speed itself, but to get away from constant annoying beeping when cruising at a comfortable speed.  That's my feeling, at least, from reading MANY posts. Your 14 c without warrantee, I'm guessing it's used, right? If so you need to know how worn down the battery pack(s) is/are. youll have to seek advice from others for that because I'm no expert on battery tech. Check the mileage (kilometreage?)  From his app. (Remember app mileage is about 25% higher than real! according to members here)

as for broken axles, the age of the 14c in question is one aspect, as I suspect/hope newer models have an upgraded design, another concern is the used/abuse it's been put through by the current owner.  Lots of curb jumping is stressful for an axle.  I for one only jump down small to medium curbs, and never a flight of steps.  Anything big, and I walk it down, if I can't see a ramp nearby.  No point in tempting fate.  Threat equipment well and it is less likely to break, that's my motto. 

Good luck with your new wheel.

Hello @Smoother, and thanks for the infos.

Indeed, the KS-14c is an used one, but the guy only used it 6 months / 250 km approximately. It was bought mid 2015, so I assume it the potential "not-that-well-manufactured" axis series.

He said the wheel felt only once, otherwise it was for work travel. He no longer use it.

I agree with your remarks about the limited speed of the S2 and the annoying bips.

2 hours ago, Mougna said:

Hello @Smoother, and thanks for the infos.

Indeed, the KS-14c is an used one, but the guy only used it 6 months / 250 km approximately. It was bought mid 2015, so I assume it the potential "not-that-well-manufactured" axis series.

He said the wheel felt only once, otherwise it was for work travel. He no longer use it.

I agree with your remarks about the limited speed of the S2 and the annoying bips.

Well, if the price is right, it sounds like a good buy.  250 km is not long enough to snap an axle unless he weighs 120kg or did a lot of jumps, or both. What size battery? 500w or 800w motor? Any idea at what charge level ( voltage ) it was stored?

No idea of the charge level, 800W motor and it's the small size battery (340WH). I was thinking of upgrading the battery with an additional one.

It was unlocked to the 30km/h mode. Price is a little less than US$ 600.

when i can jump in also:

I sold my KS14 with "only" 340wh for nearly same Price: 550 Euro, that was in End November when the new KS14D series wasn't buyable...

So i think now in Jan/Feb i would not get it away for this Price...

And: Later upgrading is always expensive.....for a (good!!)new 340wh pack you have to pay about 250 Euro.

What about the "middle" way? A new Inmotion V8 480wh for about 800Euro at aliexpress ;-)

Having almost 670  ks on my beloved KS14c must say I do not at all regret the buy!

For now as best as I can see and feel axle seems fine and charge doctor sure helps battery health.

I do dislike the over heating but know why and do not idle for so long now as I have it down.

Must say am a little bummed that KS has stopped making in case I ever need parts in the future!

ukj

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your inputs (and sorry for polluting this topic).

Finally, I bought a Ninebot One S2 brand new, a local store was selling it at a very good price (less than 500€ new), so I went for it as my first wheel. ;)

• 1 month later...

As I have posted a new thread, KS problem, before reading this feel it belongs here as well.

Noticed that my left side, opposit  side of control panel, pedal support lower most part is MUCH closer to the Wheel, motor than the right and is not parallel with the motor, as well as is easy to see difference in pedal angle when in the down riding postition.

As I bought it after tons of what I thought was good investigation and having a shoestring budget I am really bummed to find this.

I will contact KING SONG FRANCE to hopefully see if the warranty will cover this problem?

Do any of you out there think this should be covered as my warranty clearly states only motor and control board are covered.

And now to read of at least 4 others seems like a a defect?

Also see that the ks 14 c is no longer even being made, sure hope KS will own up to this problem and through KS France get me back safe.

Any other ideas of a fix other than hydrolic press out?

Thanks

ukj

Update

Now my Beloved Ks14C is not ridable as the left pedal support is in contact with the Wheel,motor almost constant.

Sure hope when I get back home and contact the distributor in my country I bought from will be of help!

Not trying to create a problem where it might not arrive but just thinking, what good deos a replacement Wheel,motor do as it will also bend and or crack like the first.

Does anyone know if KS has made better stronger replacement axle that  will replace the ones that fail?

ukj

I talked to an expert about breaking the axle and he stated that it shouldnt be possible to break them unless the material is garbage. (Time for a statement from Kingsong about that?)

He also assured me that its possible to replace this axles with help of a hydraulic press. I will hand my 14c over to him soon to evaluate a possible replacement with a titan axle instead. Trying to go all in, just to be on the safe side. I love my 14c - fantastic ride!

I just got a replacement motor for my 14C. The axle looks the same as original in material and fabrication.  I will be doing a dye test to check for cracks. Plan to repeat crack check every few months. 

Another thing I've heard is that there was a recent wiring change to accommodate a circuit board update. Make sure the motor that's shipped connects to the board you have. Otherwise you will have to update the circuit board too. 

HI,

same for me. Cracked axl on the left after 5 moths of use. (I weight 90kg and ride in city - no freeride, no jumps etc...). Within the warranty I received a new motor after 3 months. I mounted the new motor but I have a very strange wheel behavior :

Video 1

To the point that I got a fuse blown. Had to replace it as well. But the strange behavior remains.

And wheel is not recognized by the app anymore. Firmware version V0.00 and all serial number data disappeared.  Impossible to upgrade. Looks like Mother board did not like the new motor.

I would strongy suggest you make a screen copy of your apps with the old motor before changing to the new one.

Will post news as soon as I know more.

King Song are not very good at thinking through lifecycle support. The replacement 14C motors they provide to Distributors use different motor PWM configuration than the motors that were sold with your original 14Cs. Therefore, you're probably going to have to source another control-board that is 'optimized' for the new motor.

1 hour ago, djerr said:

Sorry, my english acronysm is not that good. "PWM" configuration stands for ?

power management ?

Pulse-width modulation, it's used to drive the mosfets that then in turn drive the motor.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 26, 2017 at 0:54 PM, djerr said:

HI,

same for me. Cracked axl on the left after 5 moths of use. (I weight 90kg and ride in city - no freeride, no jumps etc...). Within the warranty I received a new motor after 3 months. I mounted the new motor but I have a very strange wheel behavior :

Video 1

To the point that I got a fuse blown. Had to replace it as well. But the strange behavior remains.

And wheel is not recognized by the app anymore. Firmware version V0.00 and all serial number data disappeared.  Impossible to upgrade. Looks like Mother board did not like the new motor.

I would strongy suggest you make a screen copy of your apps with the old motor before changing to the new one.

Will post news as soon as I know more.

I just installed a new motor and am waiting on a new 40 amp fuse to see if all is good. Hope I can avoid replacing the motherboard. 

I am 83k I complained about what I could only describe as a loose wheal months ago KS said that is usual after a while so I stopped using it as I have a KS16

As the weather is better I tried it again and decided to take it apart thinking I just needed to tighten some bolts like I had to on the KS16 but see it is same as yours Shaft broken I do not jump curbs or play around it is clean no rust and just over a year old now but it was not when I first asked about the fault. It is still sort of usable somehow.

Worrying as the true cost of wheeling is working out at £1.50 per mile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 April 2017 at 9:39 PM, LGJ said:

Worrying as the true cost of wheeling is working out at £1.50 per mile.

Me too.  No cracked axle yet, but it is a bit of a cloud following my 14c around.  I'm thinking of fabricating a brace that links the two pedal mounts, around the tyre, so that the inward force is not completely taken by the axle.  I took my 14c apart a few weeks ago for shits and giggles.  Axle looks good, Spring that protects motor wires in place, both grub screws on one pedal, that hold pedal pivot in place, completely missing !!! WTF !!! Pedal pivot had moved about 4 cm from center, but was not in danger of coming out.  But still, what sort of quality control is that ?  It's possible that the pivot ( long steel rod that the pedal pivots on when folded up) might have moved far enough to become unsupported on one side, which would have lead to damage.

will contact dealer for my two missing grub screws sometime, maybe today even.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Me too.  No cracked axle yet, but it is a bit of a cloud following my 14c around.  I'm thinking of fabricating a brace that links the two pedal mounts, around the tyre, so that the inward force is not completely taken by the axle.  I took my 14c apart a few weeks ago for shits and giggles.  Axle looks good, Spring that protects motor wires in place, both grub screws on one pedal, that hold pedal pivot in place, completely missing !!! WTF !!! Pedal pivot had moved about 4 cm from center, but was not in danger of coming out.  But still, what sort of quality control is that ?  It's possible that the pivot ( long steel rod that the pedal pivots on when folded up) might have moved far enough to become unsupported on one side, which would have lead to damage.

will contact dealer for my two missing grub screws sometime, maybe today even.

That is an excellent idea. I thought of that also. The low pedals put a lot of stress on the shaft. Bicycle frames don't do that so that is why bicycles don't break. 

I am thinking of a brace also. 

Archived