Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

@houseofjob and I love each other like brothers, but we also love to disagree :) 

You NY guys are like the super-Wheel group up there in NY! @fearedbliss reverse engineered the KS unlock App & put it out on the net, also first to review the V5F+; @houseofjob is the first (?) owner of the S2 in North America, regular Wheel rider; @Cloud one of the most popular & prolific forum contributors.
I'm damn lucky to have such Customers! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Lol. @houseofjob and I love each other like brothers, but we also love to disagree :) . We were comparing wheels with higher pedals as opposed to wheels with lower pedals in relation to the ease of balancing. We were not comparing heavy people and light people in relation to the ease of balancing. Of course my heavier mass would make it harder to control than houseofjobs's.  However all other  things being equal its harder to balance when one is standing higher ( on pedals)  over the point of contact one is balancing over ( where wheel touches the ground). This being said, a small increase in pedal height in inmotion v5 has only a small effect on the balancing and basically makes the control of the wheel more sensitive to the position of the feet and body. This is easy to get used and the rider can still have the full control of the wheel.

That's exactly what I was pointing out: comparing my lower pedals S2 and other wheels, I don't find this higher pedal'd V5F+ significantly more difficult to balance. My experience was basically 5 seconds of "oh that's weird and different", to then riding as normal (I actually think this whole setup is better than lower, wider pedals).

Which is why I don't agree, in what I experienced, with the syntax of saying it's "harder to balance"; that's misleading to me as a potential buyer. It implies a significant gap in ease of balance, which I just don't agree with. 

So that's why I was assuming the weight bias, which is never irrelevant to experiencing a wheel. Case in point: I recently lost 10lbs., and that small weight change significantly changed my experience with the 340wH IPS Zero; the wheel feels like a stronger, faster wheel when I ride it now, though I know it's the same specs.

But that's the beauty of this forum right? Point, counterpoint, all different points of view ; )

.... and @Jason McNeil, I know of 1 other NYC rider that got an S2 with Ian's first batch shipment (who also bought a KS-16 from you), so I'm not that special I guess, haha.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

You NY guys are like the super-Wheel group up there in NY! @fearedbliss reverse engineered the KS unlock App & put it out on the net, also first to review the V5F+; @houseofjob is the first (?) owner of the S2 in North America, regular Wheel rider; @Cloud one of the most popular & prolific forum contributors.
I'm damn lucky to have you such Customers! 

@Jason McNeil , the luck is all ours. It's an honor to be a customer of someone like you, whose unflinching honesty, impeccable reputation and an undeniable charisma are well known among many forum members. You are a distributor one can trust and rely on!

Some things about the App compared to the Ninebot App

Well the NB App looks really nice and works well, it never crashes. The Design of the Inmotion App on the iPhone looks a bit boring an conservative, but the functionality is great. You get the feeling you belong to the Inmotion family very quick. I asked for help with my sound problem and got help within Minutes. The last Status of your wheel is stored in the App even if you are not connected. Nice!
The mileage counter is not set to zero if you switch of the wheel. I like that! In the NB App the counter was to zero every time I switched the wheel of! To reset the counter, you need to close the app completely and restart it! So if you just have a break, your daily mileage is stored.
The App crashes constantly if I want to set gender in my profile, I already reported it. 

image.png
I love this motor off switch! With the NB, every time I went upstairs, I had to switch it off (off course Milage was set to zero...) No just lift it, it is so much quicker and easier.

And: you can turn the wheel on while carrying it to the exit (and while handle bar switch pressed) and directly start driving when you are outside. 
Yesterday I carried it at night through our garden with the lights switched on. You can use it as the heaviest flashlight in the world to pass through the woods...

As I and many other people mentioned here, the wheel is more sensitive to control because of higher pedal position. I had one or two situations where I oversteered a bit. But I got used to it and I like the feeling not driving a tank. 

I try to make a short Video about the maneuverability of the wheel in the next day. It is a lot less work for your hips to turn on a spot thanks to less weight...
My conclusion after 30km since Saturday (I know it is not much): this is my personal ninebot killer. I made the right decision to buy it. I try hard, but I cannot find any really disadvantage...

First of all, a big Thank You to @Jason McNeil, your devotion to the EUC community is without comparison! 

I received my wheel yesterday and had the chance to try it for an hour in the evening. I'm a total beginner but managed to go some 50 meters after a little bit of practice. This gives me hope. ?

I did notice that after mounting the trolley handle, the EUC became slightly back heavy. This can be corrected in the app, though. I had to take it all the way to -5 (as you can see in the picture).

rps20160719_121828_365.jpg

@thefork How did you noticed it the wheel is backheavy? You measured th angle by spirit level? I put a spirit level on a pedel, my SVC Correction was at 1,1° when I got the wheel. The pedals were tilted a little bit too far forward an I pressed  restore factory settings. Factory setting was 0,4° and spot on! BTW, trolley handle not installed...

@Fahrtwind @thefork Learning a great deal about the app thanks to you guys.

I would be interested to know who is currently riding the V5F+ or has recently purchase one like me and just waiting for delivery. I know @Jason McNeil purchased about 30 units.

The app is very different than the NB1. Is there a somatosensory or automatic calibration setting? Under SVC Correction the term 'Car Body Turning and Forwarding Correction is an strange term. Please explain what settings are you feeling confident with? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

@thefork How did you noticed it the wheel is backheavy?

First I just guessed, since most of the handle resides behind the center of the wheel. I then turned the wheel on and noticed that indeed it wanted to go backwards at standstill. I turned the wheel around 180 degrees and it still wanted to go backwards (i.e. the cause for the motion was not a sloping floor). After the correction there is still a hint of a tendency for the wheel to want to go backwards (mostly just a slight hum from the motor), but I feel it's rather negligible.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@Fahrtwind @thefork Learning a great deal about the app thanks to you guys.

[...]

The app is very different than the NB1. Is there a somatosensory or automatic calibration setting? Under SVC Correction the term 'Car Body Turning and Forwarding Correction is an strange term. Please explain what settings are you feeling confident with? Thanks!

Cool, no problem. As to your question, I don't know. Haven't tried the "Car Body Turning and Forwarding Correction" setting, only the "Pedal Horizontal Adjustment". 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Under SVC Correction the term 'Car Body Turning and Forwarding Correction is an strange term

I think it's calibration of front / rear and left / right tilt ... ?

1 hour ago, HEC said:

I think it's calibration of front / rear and left / right tilt ... ?

You're probably right -- it seems that calibration and Pedal Horizontal Adjustment are separate concepts. Which is logical, since calibration is a correction of what is "up" while one might have different reasons for adjusting pedal tilt to something non-zero. 

I did some tilt-back testing today. I set the top speed to 10 kph and was happy to see that tilt-back didn't kick in until the set speed was reached. The "warning" alert seemed to be triggered at around 11 kph, but of this I am less certain.

The tilt isn't aggressive at all, so no risk of falling off because of it, but it's still effective enough.

Disabling the system sounds does not effect the high speed alert, nor does changing the volume. 

12 hours ago, thefork said:

This can be corrected in the app, though. I had to take it all the way to -5 (as you can see in the picture).

Thanks, that is interesting that the app has pedal tilt adjustment.  Ninebot has adjustment, however I only learned how to do it from this forum, and it is trial and error.  To me that is a good feature to have.  My Ninebot started tilting down and I did a calibration and got it back to level but wish it could raise up in front a little more.  You have given me an idea!   You said that the trolley handle weight caused this.  I will change my trolley handle from front to back.  I don't ride with the handle but the bracket is there and that little bit of weight being there on power on might cause the calibration to be off a little. 

I finally found out what SCV stands for: Sensor Controlled Vehicle.

"The INMOTION SCV is a smart electric, self balancing sensor controlled vehicle. With instinctive operation and a thrilling drive experience, INMOTION SCV provides you a whole new way of urban commuting and touring."

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

@Paddylazis that an IPS 191, it seems like a very good wheel, I have read good things about them.  Is that the 191?

Hi Steve,

Yes it's a 191, aka the Lhotz. Yeah has served me well. Not as well built as the Ninebot or inmotion but extremely reliable and safe, big fat tire and will do 30km/h (if you can stomach the beeping past 23...)

Highly recommended ?

EDIT: I like how they include the protective padding to protect the wheel while you get used to it.  Nice touch!  Plus the small visible battery indicator is so easy to look down at rather than fiddle with an app.  The wheel looks very responsive.

How's the general riding over bumps on the 14" wheel compare to the 16" Ninebot that you used to have?  Do you find going over irregular surfaces any more difficult?

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I like how they include the protective padding to protect the wheel while you get used to it.  Nice touch!  Plus the small visible battery indicator is so easy to look down at rather than fiddle with an app.  The wheel looks very responsive.

The cover is not included - costs extra €50.

3 hours ago, Fahrtwind said:

video of me driving the V5. I am really loving it. 50km so far..

Great video, you ride skillfully, that wheel looks to be very agile and good for tricks.  Also it handles the kinds of trails I like to ride very well.  The battery indicator is nice, easy to see while riding.

I'm very impressed! Excellent riding skills!  All of us in this forum greatly appreciate you taking to time to share your V5F+ riding experiences and video! 

Wow! These are things we've been discussing in this forum and some of them are coming true.  For example, I said a couple months ago that a battery indicator on top of the wheel would be nice.  @esaj told me how it could be done, but it was way past my ability.  Now there is  a wheel that has what I wished for!  I'll probably buy one even though i don't need two good wheels.:D

Archived