KS16 Carbon Fibre Pedal Inserts

JumpMaster

Hi,

I found the standard rubber pedals on the KS16 to be great in the dry but dangerous if my feet were even slightly damp.  I tried covering the rubber with grip tape but found that to be too much grip making it difficult to re-position my feet.  In search for the Goldilocks Pedal I've cut out some 2mm carbon fibre to replace the rubber.  The plan is to epoxy some M4 inserts so that I can install standard MTB pedal pins.

It's not the tidiest job as I've only got a Dremmel.  I used a cutting disc to get the rough shape and a sanding drum to finish it off.  I plan to stick them in place using black silicon sealant around the edges.  This will hide some of the rough cuts as well as making it possible to remove without breaking the carbon fibre.

Here are some ideas for the pedal pins.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-flat-pedal-pins/rp-prod118700
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-traction-pins-socket-type-version-2/rp-prod19212

Threaded inserts (M4)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNURLED-STEEL-THREADED-STEEL-RIVNUTS-NUTSERTS-BLINDNUT-RIVET-NUTS-INSERT-/191625310115?var=&hash=item2c9dc22fa3:m:mbJY077iLT0lrQy_JFKdK0A

Carbon Fibre sheet (only 1 needed to make 2 pedal inserts)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3K-100-Real-Carbon-Fibre-Rigid-Sheet-2-0mm-x-200mm-250mm-22-75-free-p-p-/351779978710

Here's the progress so far.

r2xuOyx.jpg

Man, great workmanship but please keep in mind that not wanting too much grip because you have trouble repositioning your feet is a mistake!! There cannot be too much grip - you want to get as much of it as possible. The difficulty in repositikning your feet will go away once you are more comfortable riding on one foot - there will be no priblem slightly lifting the foot and moving over. Please dont sacrifice the grip for ability to slide the foot over, you will cut your nose to spite your face

Thanks @Cloud

Grip tape also has a few other disadvantages. Such as on a skateboard your feet are not on the edge of the tape. It peels up pretty quickly on an euc.

The goal is to have more grip then the factory rubber inserts. Thinking of installing 4 rows of 5 pins or 4 rows of 4. I don't want to create a bed of nails and actually have something with less grip. I need to look at some bike pedals and see what a good amount of spacing looks like.

Well, i dont know.. Skateboard tape didnt peel off my pedals in months. I wrap it around the pedal and terminate underneath. I guess if the goal is to have some more grip, then these would work. I personally like as much grip as i can get - this helps me slant to the side at a more sharp angle without slipping off and aloows for more extreme maneuvers. 

2 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

Thinking of installing 4 rows of 5 pins or 4 rows of 4.

How about 5 rows of 6 and 4 rows of 5.  Then it would be the same layout as the stars on the American flag.;)  Sorry, don't know which country you are from.  Sorry again, but from reading your post again I'm guessing England?  In anycase you have given me ideas to improve my pedals.  I noticed my feet slipping today and was thinking of ways to improve the grip. I just wish the pedals were about 4 inches longer in the front.  My feet are size 14 American and I can manage on the Ninebot pedals but they could sure be a lot larger.

@JumpMaster, those look fantasic! Agree about grippiness, there can be never be too much. On the 14C I use for commuting, I experimented with a neoprene material over the surface. It started off as an improvement, but over time the edges started to fray leading to reduced foot surface area. Yesterday removed & have to say it's better now. 

Next experiment is to try the bin-liner spray. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the finished result after having used them all week commuting through London.  I have to say they're awesome!  The only downside is I can't use it in bare feet anymore.  Wet or dry the grip is the same and I'm getting use to re-positioning my feet on them.  Total cost is about £50.  £25 for the carbon fibre, £10 for the pedal pins, £15 for the rivet gun and rivets. Oh and £2.99 for black silicon sealant.

iWyphES.jpg

abjCp5e.jpg

Archived