The Food Thread

:popcorn: Not unexpectedly,  I sense a gustatory skeptic in my midst.  :rolleyes:  I no lie - it is the best thing.  Try doing a Google search on it.  THERE ARE NO RESULTS!  I just invented it!  Brilliant, right?  :w00t2:  How often does THAT happen?  Usually there's always someone else who's done a video, wrote a blog, made a recipe, but no - it's all me baby!!!

I mean, I'm sure people doubted Alexander Fleming when he first discovered penicillin.  They probably were like "Whaaat.... you want to use mould from that green sandwich to create something that will change the world?  You're insane!  Just because you put it in your mouth it's not going to be a cure for bacterial infections!"  Or something similar to that effect.

I should get some kinda Nobel or Taco Bell food prize for my discovery or maybe a Michelin star rating of some sort.  Just remember you heard it here first and that you were witness to my awesome greatness.  :innocent1:  And were too stomach shocked to recognize it.

Now to think of a catchy, trademarkable name... GravitosTM!  DorivyTM!  NGDTM - Nacho Gravy Doritos!  Gravy Awesome Wonderful Doritos or GAWDTM for short!  "Pass me a GAWD chip!"

To the naysayers, I say try it first and then issue your judgement.  To KFC and Doritos :efef6b27e5: to discuss royalties.

@The Fat Unicyclist - I need a test subject (with strong arteries).  Clinical trials to commence immediately! 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

13 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@The Fat Unicyclist - I need a test subject (with strong arteries).  Clinical trials to commence immediately! 

Sorry Dude... I am KFC free (one to many "cyst stories" for my liking).

Though their gravy is pretty good... But then it doesn't even compare to Mrs. TFU's homemade version!

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1

See!  The big guy is speechless after trying my newly discovered delicacy!  (Or he could be DAK - dead at keyboard?  :blink:).  Either way I'm sure he went happy!  Or maybe he had to rush out to get more KFC gravy and Doritos!  :w00t2:  New marketing slogan:

"You know you want it.  Go get some!"

Edit:  Aw man, well maybe try them with the Missus' gravy.  Might not be quite the same, but I'm sure it will have a similar effect. 

• Like 1

I have discovered yet another fantastic flavor combination.  I'm on a roll here!  :w00t2:  Grab some Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix, and add in some Miso paste to ramp up the savoriness!  A half teaspoon ought to do it.  Geez I just realized I rarely use the word "ought."  I ought to use it more often!  Anyways, the Miso Hollandaise sauce is great on steaks, asparagus, Doritos chips, you name it!  I think this is the one I use:

81uAzLecaNL._SL1500_.jpg

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I have discovered yet another fantastic flavor combination.  I'm on a roll here!  :w00t2:  Grab some Knorr Hollandaise sauce mix, and add in some Miso paste to ramp up the savoriness!  A half teaspoon ought to do it.  Geez I just realized I rarely use the word "ought."  I ought to use it more often!  Anyways, the Miso Hollandaise sauce is great on steaks, asparagus, Doritos chips, you name it!  I think this is the one I use:

81uAzLecaNL._SL1500_.jpg

That's just wrong!

You can't make Hollandaise sauce from a packet... It has to be fresh!!!

• Like 1

Fresh is so 1980's.  :rolleyes:  We're in the age of immediate gratification!  :w00t2:  The "I Want It Now" generation.  Embrace it!  Who has time to make fresh Hollandaise sauce when we're so busy trying to keep track of the latest electric unicycles, catching up on missed TV episodes, reading forums, posting on social media :rolleyes:, stuff like that?

Instant hollandaise sauce is the next best thing!  Toss in your butter, milk, and boil  your curdling troubles away.  Throw in some daishi miso, and you're in heaven!  :efeeec645d:

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Who has time to make fresh Hollandaise sauce when we're so busy trying to keep track of the latest electric unicycles, catching up on missed TV episodes, reading forums, posting on social media :rolleyes:, stuff like that?

Who has time? Mrs. TFU, that's who? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Speaking of Mrs. TFU, where is she?  How come we haven't seen any posts from the better cooking half?  Even meeps has got himself a new avatar (finally).  I think we'd all like to see what your missus is going to use.

She got distracted... When she saw how the video camera worked she decided that she needs to get herself a YouTube channel... This has not helped much with me getting "access" to make my own videos.   :(

But I do get to eat her results!

• Like 1

On 31.3.2018 at 7:56 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ahhhh me no big fan of slow boiling food sealed in a plastic bag.   I know everyone raves about it, but the sous vide items I've tried weren't that great.  Maybe i'll have to give it a try myself sometime.  I still like the sizzling hot sear of the cast iron.

On 31.3.2018 at 11:35 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Oh, you definitely need to finish with a good searing... But done right, the meat is already cooked through to the centre (without overcooking the outside), so the searing is just to add some caramelisation. And the result should be like this (sous vide on the left, "normal" on the right)...

sous-vide-vs-traditional-steak.jpg

For more details see... https://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

I also don't like steaks sous vide (with final searing of course: Der-Beefer-Steak-grillen-e1456093625641.) . Imho they tend to get a bit "mushy/spongy". But pieces like brisket, etc are gorgeous after sous vide and some hell fire to finish :P

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Those are nice "Tomahawk" steaks!  Have you tried the Miso/butter sauce on steak?  :dribble:  It's worth trying to get some if you can find it.  I've never had it before until recently, but wow it adds a very savory, salty taste to it.  Very nice!

This will be my first self grilled piece of meat this season - nothing (but a bit of salt and pepper) will touch it that could distort the taste!

But your hollandaise trials brought the sauce bernaise (in principle hollandaise with chervil and tarragon) into my mind again and made me doing some research. So i found sauce foyot (basically sauce bernaise with (almost) gravy)!

I'm looking forward to all this new mixtures - your hollandaise/miso paste mixture too!

But i'm with @The Fat Unicyclist - selfmade rules!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Those are nice "Tomahawk" steaks!  Have you tried the Miso/butter sauce on steak?  :dribble:  It's worth trying to get some if you can find it.  I've never had it before until recently, but wow it adds a very savory, salty taste to it.  Very nice!

While you're in your Miso phase... Try using Miso butter (instead of normal butter / milk) to mash your potatoes!

• Like 1

Whoa... :blink: never thought of that!  Will do!  Yeah this miso stuff is like crack cocaine.  I can't imagine I've never tried it for all these years.  I mean, I've had miso soup which tends to be a little too salty for me, but this miso paste stuff is like a whole different world.  :efeeec645d:

Speaking of crack cocaine, anyone try GravitosTM yet?  Com'on, someone 'fess up.  It's better than good right?  :w00t2:  Actually it's too good.  :blink:  I found myself driving to the local KFC to buy another tub of large gravy so I could take it home and slather it all over my large bag of Costco Doritos Nacho Chips.  It's weird just ordering one tub of large gravy.  I wonder what the workers there think.  What is this guy going to do with this one large tub of gravy?  :ph34r:  He looks pretty normal, but he has that sly look behind his eyes as he greedily grabs the gravy tub and drives off...  :dribble:

Gawd, how am I not 250 pounds already?  :innocent1:  It's like an internal lubricant :pooping: that keeps all the inner parts moving smoothly.  It's like that ray of sunshine on a dark, cloudy day.  It's like that soft, supple, heaving bosom that you can nuzzle your face against on a lonely night.  Ah... oh what was I talking about again?  Oh right!  GravitosTM!  Seriously.  Try some.  You will thank me later.  Just be sure to be close to an AED machine.  :whistling:  I am 100% not kidding.  About the GravitosTM.  It's a little strange dipping the triangular, orange crusts of goodness into the brown, savory gravy bath.  Your eyes just say no no no, but your tastebuds are like sure bring it on baby!!!  After the first couple of chips you start scooping up more gravy into the delicate curves of the nacho chip, being ever so careful not too drip any of that delectable artery lube onto your T-shirt.  Your mind says no more no more!  But the spirit is irresistibly drawn to that dark madness of the GravitoTM.

55 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whoa... :blink: never thought of that!  Will do!  Yeah this miso stuff is like crack cocaine.  I can't imagine I've never tried it for all these years.  I mean, I've had miso soup which tends to be a little too salty for me, but this miso paste stuff is like a whole different world.  :efeeec645d:

Speaking of crack cocaine, anyone try GravitosTM yet?  Com'on, someone 'fess up.  It's better than good right?  :w00t2:  Actually it's too good.  :blink:  I found myself diving to the local KFC to buy another tub of large gravy so I could take it home and slather it all over my large bag of Costco Doritos Nacho Chips.  It's weird just ordering one tub of large gravy.  I wonder what the workers there think.  What is this guy going to do with this one large tub of gravy?  :ph34r:  He looks pretty normal, but he has that sly look behind his eyes as he greedily grabs the gravy tub and drives off...  :dribble:

You're welcome... Let us know how the miso-mash works for you.

As for this "bathtub full of gravy" fetish... I assume that over there you do know to buy some of them KFC chicken salted fries, and just use gravy tub as a dipping sauce?

EDIT:

Actually, talking about chicken salt and potatoes, if you can source yourself some try oiling up some potatoes and sprinkling them with chicken salt before roasting them... So good!!!

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 1

What is this foreign from down in the nether regions "salt of the sweaty chicken" dost thou speaketh?  :blink:   Is that code for MSG?  We in Canada have no such thing.  I'm trying to uplift the little respected KFC gravy to a new level of appreciation!  

Seriously, the flavor combination does work.  My scientific studies prove it.  Sure, sure it hasn't been peer reviewed yet, and there's that little minor issue of the sample size being one.  I'm not deterred by minor details.  This new food finding can't be held back from the public.  It must be unleashed to bask in all its glory!  :w00t2:

Um, it would help if someone at least tried it :rolleyes: and reported back.  I need more data points before I can publish!

Scs8NeB.jpg

Worked out really great! :w00t2: Forgot the salt and pepper - but the steaks didn't need that at all... Nice "crust", juicy and perfect medium-rare.

Made on "selfmade embers/coal" from old oakwood - i'm desperate if i can really top this this season. Especially with my gas grill :pooping: at home... :(

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

Denny's is going to be the death of me.  :huh:  I can't even remember the name of this abomination.  I ate it anyways.  Some sort of melty chicken mushroom pepper onion hogey artery clogging melt.  Couldn't even pick it up it was so gooey.  Had to eat it with a knife and @thefork.

jPN0snZ.jpg

• Like 1

You obviously haven't seen my Gravitos creation.  ?  The eyes might say no, but the tastebuds are all willing!  It wasn't that bad actually.  Just bad for the arteries, cholesterol levels, and health in general, but it tasted pretty good.  Kinda like poutine, but toss in a bunch of other stuff and a bun but hold off on the gravy.  Don't tell me you Swedes eat all healthy smealthy, pass the dandelion greens?

My body's a temple.  I just pray to the cholesterol and gravy gods.  ?