The Food Thread

Okay it sounds like we need a good food thread going here so hey I may as well start it rather than confuse people when I mention things like malasadas.  I got my first thread locked up so I must be doing something right.  B)  Geez is all the rain making people cranky or what here?  :lol:  Anyways...

What's your favorite foods to eat on and off your EUC?

I was checking out what Finns eat since they strike me as an interesting people if @esaj is any representation of them although I draw the line at munching on Rudolph...  I wouldn't mind trying though is the grillimakkara along with some rapu at a kraftskiva.  I wonder if salmiakki is as popular as it sounds.

http://www.visitfinland.com/article/iconic-finnish-foods-of-all-time/

Over here my favs are a good Brazilian All You Can Eat Rodizio.  Mmmmm can you say brown sugar roasted pineapple and garlic sirloin with bacon wrapped chicken thighs?  Please tell me you're not vegetarian....

I am literally drooling looking at this photo...

image.jpg

Next up is Korean BBQ grill all you can eat meatonanza.  Okay that's not a real word, but it sums it all up basically.  Throw in some kimchi and bee bim bap and mmmm the drooling begins...

Oh oh don't forget a good shawarma place.  I love me some garlic potatoes and shaved donair meat with rice, salad and hummus.

Sushi.... Mmmm need I say more?

What's on your plate?

EDIT: :( Apparently people are too busy riding, fixing or recovering to eat or listen to music?

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I was checking out what Finns eat since they strike me as an interesting people if @esaj is any representation of them although I draw the line at munching on Rudolph...  I wouldn't mind trying though is the grillimakkara along with some rapu at a kraftskiva.  I wonder if salmiakki is as popular as it sounds.

I guess mostly we eat the same things as most other people do in western countries, and I'm not that big into "traditional" Finnish foods. I'd say my personal diet mostly consists of rye bread, meat and pasta/rice, maybe a bit too much :D. My girlfriends' been a vegetarian for most of her life, and last year turned into complete vegan (no dairy products etc), so that kind of limits the options too, as otherwise we'd have to make all of the food "separately" ;) 

Reindeer-meat is good, but nothing extraordinary really. Grillimakkara is a barbequed sausage, "rapu" means crab. No idea what "kraftskiva" is, sounds more Swedish to me :D Salmiakki, a kind of a salty liquorice made with ammonium chloride (really! :D), is very popular in Finland, but most foreigners who try it don't really like it, maybe it's an acquired taste? There are lots of different salmiakki-candy available, which taste a bit different, usually people try the Fazer's "traditional" Salmiakki, which is not a personal favorite...

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

Vegan?  Yeeks I couldn't do it.  Too many delicious meat choices out there for me, but I hear it's a healthy choice.  Got any good East Indian food joints where ya at?  They have a lot of tasty vegetarian food choices along with butter chicken which is good.   How's the selection of restaurants there?

I tried some vegetarian pizza a while back, but pizza without meat is like cake without frosting.  There's just something missing.

There's a good show called Diners, Drive-Inns, and Dives which showcases a lot of places in the US to eat at.  It would be fun to go on a road trip like Guy Fieri does just to eat at all the different places.

I had a chance a while back to have some buffalo wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY.  They were sooo good.  Korean style fried chicken is nice as well.  Mmm getting hungry just thinking about all the food...:lol:

At last... a topic that suits my natural talents - after all, there's a reason they don't call me The Skinny Unicyclist. 

I'm partial to middle-eastern and Asian foods, as I LOVE the spiciness! And I'm definitely a carnivore...

I'm quite lucky, growing up (and living) in New Zealand the cultural diversity means we have a broad selection of food from many cultures - and I am fortunate to travel often (which is a great opportunity to try new things).

• Upvote 3

Do share some travel dining stories!  I saw this doc called Jiro Dreams of Sushi about this famous sushi chef in Japan.  It was quite interesting to watch.  Also saw a bit of "Noma: My Perfect Storm" which was different.  They had live ants embedded in ice cream I think it was.  Yeeks!  No no no bug eating for me.  I'm no Bear Grylls!

Don't get me started on Thai food - it's sooooo good with so many layers of flavour.  Ever watch "Food Safari?"  It's a show about the different foods available in Australia... So culturally diverse there too!  Ever try Laksa?

Pho Soup is a fav.  Oh oh don't forget the Vietnamese subs.  MmmmMmMmm... It's hard to find a really good Viet sub place though...

image.jpg

Yes, I love a good Laksa - and at the moment I've got a thing for Korean too.

Oh and hot Indian - I have just found a local place that does "deadly hot!" So so so good. 

Australian - not so much. They've got kangaroo, crocodile and emu - none of which are good. But then being from NZ I'm obliged to think that birds fly upside-down over Australia (competitive neighbouring country and all).

I spent a few weeks in Japan a couple of years ago - away from the standard tourist areas. It was a great trip, but very challenging as a lot of places had no English speaking staff (and no English menus either). The food was all fantastic, but a lot of the time we had no idea what we were eating... one place did have a menu that someone had handwritten English onto, but once we knew what everything was we wished we didn't - but it was still tasty. 

I've gotten a chance to travel the world on business a lot in the last few years (Russia, India, Poland, Norway, England, France, Italy, Germany) and am pretty sure there isn't a food I would turn down. Generally I have a pretty cast-iron stomach and can eat anything without problems. The only place I had an issue was in India (the typical Delhi Belly) but even at that the food was so awesome, my favorite was at this one really dumpy beer place that had amazing peanuts and cheese in some kind of curry sauce. In big cities like Moscow it seems hard to find a lot of traditional Russian food, you'd think sushi was their national dish based on the number of restaurants. 

Wow I didn't know sushi was such a big hit in Russia.  I'll eat almost anything except for bugs, brains, and certain organ meats unlike Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods.  Gosh that guy will eat almost anything.

I also like a little heat in my pho.  When I first ate it I wasn't a big fan, but it grew on me.  Now I'll put all the fixin's in - basil, lime juice, sometimes a chilli pepper, and that other green veggie they include along with the sprouts of course.

I can't handle too spicy though.  I had a chance to sample authentic Indian cuisine, and whoa when you start tearing up and the nose runs it's just too hot for me.  Besides, spicy in spicy out I always say!  It burns going in and out! :lol:

I wish I had a chance to travel more, but me I don't have a very tough stomach.  After seeing some of the different sanitary standards in some places I think I would get some stomach upset or serious intestinal troubles.  I guess it depends on what you're used to.  Even here I've had some Chinese greens where they didn't wash it that well, and it was full of little insects.  Ugh that really turns me off.  I know some people don't mind eating bugs but not me!  My dad had a cast iron stomach.  I pointed out a cockroach in one dish at a divey place we ate at, and he just took it out and ate the rest of the food.  :unsure:

Seafood is another passion.  I love lobster!  Ever buy a bunch of live ones, boil them up and eat them with butter/garlic butter?  Fresh ones are the best - so sweet.  Sometimes I'll buy bags of King Crab legs too and cook those up.  Pricey but so worth it!  Snow crab legs are also a fav along with dungeonous crab...

image.jpg

Raw oysters on the half shell and Oysters Rockefeller are to die for... As well as bacon wrapped scallops!

image.jpg

6 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I also like a little heat in my pho.  When I first ate it I wasn't a big fan, but it grew on me.  Now I'll put all the fixin's in - basil, lime juice, sometimes a chilli pepper, and that other green veggie they include along with the sprouts of course.

Yeah, a couple times I put just a little too much of the red sauce and halfway through my face started sweating a lot!:P  Gonna get me a bowl today!

• Upvote 1

I find what makes or breaks pho is how they make the soup base.  Some places I've had it, and it was way too salty or way too bland.  I like mildly savory.  I usually will put in some of that Hoisin sauce (I think that's what the brownish sauce is) along the hot sauce, and that makes a good blend.  

I usually get the Pho Tai Chin IIRC which has half the raw beef with half the well cooked meat.  I don't like the one with the tendons and whatnot.  Don't forget the deep fried pork spring rolls and the soft rice paper wrapped spring rolls dipped in peanut hoisin sauce too!

• Upvote 1

MMmm I just had a Greek dinner yesterday with marinated pork and chicken kabobs and Greek salad with huge chunks of Macedonian feta cheese and Klamata Olives..  Although nice and creamier, I prefer Greek feta cheese better.  I bought the kabobs pre-marinated, and I cooked them on my indoor grill.

kabobs_2.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3q3023

There's a restaurant in Vancouver called Stepho's on Davie Street that serves up a huge plate of calamari.... oooh so good.  Lots of cholesterol and bad for you, but ugh the portions are massive.

348s.jpg

Oooh and don't forget to visit the Crab Pot in Seattle as well as Ivar's Fish and Chips.  They dump a huge load of fresh seafood right on the table for you.  You get these wooden mallets to smash the harder pieces open. 

crabpot-feast-1.jpg

ivar-s-seafood-bar.jpg

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

... and I cooked them on my indoor grill...

...There's a restaurant in Vancouver called Stepho's on Davie Street that serves up a huge plate of calamari.... oooh so good...

Oooh and don't forget to visit the Crab Pot in Seattle as well as Ivar's Fish and Chips.  They dump a huge load of fresh seafood right on the table for you.  You get these wooden mallets to smash the harder pieces open...

We should make a forum excursion to these places! ???????? and hopefully from one of these place your indoor grill is not too far away ?

• Upvote 1

:lol:  I can only cook a few kabobs at a time so it could be a line-up at the grill!  I think one of the best parts of travelling is experiencing the varieties of foods and restaurants at your destinations.  I usually will research a bunch of choices to eat at, and check out the reviews so I have some options to check out when I'm there.  I also sometimes will discover some really great spots to eat at just randomly as well.  I have an old friend who has a very narrow palate for trying different foods.  I remember taking him to an authentic Chinese restaurant, and he was pretty much starving at the end since he didn't like to try the various dishes!  Poor guy - had to drop by McDonalds to supplement him.  I wonder where he eats at when travelling - probably familiar places I would imagine...

Getting hungry here, but a good ol' BBQ Grill experience is a must.  Ever have smoked slow roasted brisket?  There's an Elvis platter you can get here where there's just no way of finishing it unless you are Elvis.

10354432_460988737378755_1223534115_n.jp

14 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

:lol:  I can only cook a few kabobs at a time so it could be a line-up at the grill! 

Time to perfect the eights ? or learn some real tricks ?

I think one of the best parts of travelling is experiencing the varieties of foods and restaurants at your destinations. 

??????????????????!

I have an old friend who has a very narrow palate for trying different foods.

Poor guy - he misses a great part of life!

...Getting hungry here, but a good ol' BBQ Grill experience is a must.  Ever have smoked slow roasted brisket?  There's an Elvis platter you can get here where there's just no way of finishing it unless you are Elvis ...

? ypou should not post this while the USD is so expensive for europeans - maybe i should invest the money saved by not going to the USA into a nice smoker...

• Upvote 2

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why did he make meat so damn delicious?!!

Best food invention: Yorkshire Puddings.
Be interesting to know if there's anyone on this forum who doesn't know what they are!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kroy said:

Best food invention: Yorkshire Puddings.
Be interesting to know if there's anyone on this forum who doesn't know what they are!!

Yes! I'm about as far from Yorkshire as you can get, and I love them!

Mmmmnn... with a (not quite) medium-rare eye fillet steak and a creamy mushroom sauce!!!

I'm very lucky and in the enviable position of having my youngest son take over the local butcher shop nine months ago, he has worked there since he was 14.

He still lives at home so we benefit from some lovely choice cuts of meat, and always plenty of it.

He experimented a couple of weeks ago by cutting some ribeye steaks right down the centre of the rib bone to expose the marrow. It's surprising how much flavour that added.

• Upvote 1

MMmm so that's the fuel that makes you burn up the forest dirt tracks hey? 

I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed with Yorkshire pudding.  Now, just wait one moment, I've loved pudding ever since I was a kid, and Yorkshire Pudding is actually a bit deceiving as it's more like a chewy bread upside down bun thing.  I mean, it's okay, but it was just not what I was expecting.  And I've had it more than a few times.  It's just the "pudding" expectation that keeps on letting me down.  It should be called Yorkshire Upsidedown Chewy Bun or something like that.

Gimlet - you've got it gooooood!  Ever try Bison?  I've only had it once, but yeah it's not so good.  It's sort of gamey and fatty as I think they graze on wild grass out in the pastures.  I also had the experience of having one saunter by in a parking lot while I was down in Yellowstone National Park visiting the Old Faithful geyser.  I was thinking oh man that Buffalo is going to scratch someone's car up real good... but it never did.  It just walked by.

I've also got a liking for a good pepperoni stick.  Slightly dried and chewy.  They also make a good Turkey stick here as well that you could swear was pepperoni. 

Pepperoni%20sticks-500x500.jpg

I like to try most things but haven't had the chance to eat bison yet.

I did get some reindeer specialy for Christmas last year, just so I could say I'd eaten Rudolph! :) Not very different from red deer really, not as sweet as muntjac deer or as tasty as fallow!

Crocodile was a bit of a disappointment and ostridge was interesting.

• 2 months later...

I had a chance to try this Kale Caesar salad a few days ago, and wow it was pretty good!  I've actually never tried kale before, but I hear it's a popular vegetable in the States.  Strange though that it's not that filling.  I ate and ate and ate, and it's like eating nothing for some reason.  Very odd!

https://sweetmayberry.com/2014/11/26/unas-kale-caesar-salad/

10314633.jpg

• 1 month later...