C+ top speed fluctuation

Oily

So I've now been a C+ owner for a week, and having done a firmware update, the wheel feels much better than when it was on 1.2.0.

But I've noticed that my top speed fluctuates - I know top speed is listed as 17-20km/h, and I can easily better that in the morning when its cold, but on my way home from work, the wheel seems to have a self imposed limit of 17km/h.  There is no pedal lean, and no beeping, but regardless of lean, it will not go over 17.2km/h.

I checked lean angles & temp in the app and all seemed fine (0.5 degrees, -1.5 degrees & 43.3degrees C, with 62% battery). My commute is about 7 miles, and I was trying from about 3 miles in to hit top speed, but the same all the way back... :(   Is this normal, and if so, any idea what causes the drop in top speed ?

Thanks !

Check the battery %. I'm not sure how long you have been using EUC's? but it's normal for the top speed to drop as the battery drops. Also you will find that if you speed you may get, say, 10 miles but if you find a nice relaxing cruise speed you may get 13-14 miles.

Hey, even at the end of my commute I still have 40% battery remaining, so I don't think its power related.

I'll keep a closer eye on it tomorrow to see if there is a pattern.

Olly

Now up to 900 miles on my 14" generic, and 40 miles on the Ninebot. :)

1 hour ago, Oily said:

I still have 40% battery remaining, so I don't think its power related

@Oily 40% is getting a little low.  From what I have read on the forum, most wheels will slow you down to a crawl at 20% to protect the battery.  You could charge your battery at work and see if the return home it does not slow down.  What is the percentage you have when you get to your workplace?

My ACM starts beeping at 40% depending on the speed and terrain and it has a much bigger battery (820wh) and more powerful motor (1500w) than the C+ which is only 220wh & 450w so I would expect it to slow you down quite soon.

Hi guys,

I charge the wheel at work, so always start my journey with 100% battery.

I have a feeling its temperature related - this morning coming in (14 degrees), I managed to get to hit 20.7 with beeping & the battery was at 70% - it's perfectly flat along the side of the river Thames with next to no wind this morning, so I'll try the same spot tonight & see what happens.  (I hit 20.3 going up a slight hill a bit later on, and the same again once I got to 43% battery)

Will track it tonight !

Have now done 2 return journeys, and there is definitely something going on which isn't right.

This morning is a better example (I did some screen grabs) :
06:49 (I get into work early) 100% battery, I hit 21.2km/h (easily), with a temp of 35.1 deg c, voltage of 57.24V
17:01, 94% battery, another similar flat bit of path, with no wind, temp of 43.3 dec c, voltage of 59.69V, and the best I got was 17.4km/h and I felt like I was going to fall of the front of the wheel I was leaning so much ! :(

Does anyone know where the temp taken from ?  Is there a sensor on the main board somewhere ?

Tempted to email Ninebot support incase they have seen this before - it's not like 43 degrees is "that" hot - I'm sure I've read posts talking of 60 degree heat !

Olly

Ahhhhh.....  Might be an email to the company it was originally bought from !

Do you know what the Ninebot UK facebook page is by change - lots more people on facebook than here !

Awesome - thanks @SuperSport - I spoke to Ian on Monday, but was driving (handsfree), so didn't take the name of the page down & had forgotten by the time I got out the car ! :)

Following my temperature theory, I went out this morning (day off work) having not charged the C+ overnight....

Even with a 40-something percent battery I can still easily hit the beeps and 20+km/h...

Time for a tear-down......

Screenshot_2016-07-08-05-16-24.png

Screenshot_2016-07-08-05-15-56.png

So, I actually had 3 replies from Ninebot support !

1) Asking for more info, serial numbers, exact issue & screen shots.
2) Reply with findings
3) Wishing me well & to enjoy my NBO !  :D

So the official reply was : "What you are experiencing is completely normal, the unit’s speed will fluctuate according to several factors (user's weight, the environment, the temperature, road conditions, and so on), this also applies to the mileage. And you are right, these are security measures."

So as long as you can hit 17-21km/h - it's deemed normal & the wheel is just protecting you. :)

Safe riding guys & gals !

Archived