Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

Let me just say I am thrilled that this topic is receiving so much attention from members passionately talking about wearing protective gear!  :cheers: :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2018 at 9:32 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I've struggled with adding more protection... A solid 6'3" person (standing 4" off the ground) and rocketing toward you at 20-30 km/h while dressed as the predator may possibly be interpreted as intimidating - and while I want the safety, I am an ambassador for this ridiculous hobby (as we all are) and I want to make it less confrontational.

But I have just received a couple of "casual performance" items from Speed & Strength...  http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/cruise-missile-armored-hoody.html

Basically a shirt / hoodie with the (removable) armour slotted into internal pouches, and a bit of kevlar thrown in for good measure.

I'm still working out what I think of it all, but so far I can say it is quick to gear up and not at all intimidating...

I came close last night to buying one of their protective shirts, but it only had kevlar reinforcement in the elbows whereas I was hoping for something with elbow impact protection.  Designed for skidding more than the types of accidents we have.  The hoodies and shirts with armor weren't available on sale for cheap like the shirt I was looking at, unfortunately.  

I am fairly sure I'm going to pick up a pair of their jeans with integrated knee pads.  

Edited by mezzanine

34 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I came close last night to buying one of their protective shirts, but it only had kevlar reinforcement in the elbows whereas I was hoping for something with elbow impact protection.  Designed for skidding more than the types of accidents we have.  The hoodies and shirts with armor weren't available on sale for cheap like the shirt I was looking at, unfortunately.  

I am fairly sure I'm going to pick up a pair of their jeans with integrated knee pads.  

I noticed that Speed and Strength also sell "replacement armor" - so if you know someone handy with a sewing machine, you could look to make your own...

All of the S&S gear seems to just have internal "pockets" at the right place that these are slotted into.

• Like 1

Anyone have any experience with "Shock Doctor" products?  And no - @The Fat Unicyclist (hey cool new avatar :w00t2:), it doesn't protect your tongue if you lick the Gotway charge port :rolleyes:.  I'm thinking of getting a pair of these hinged knee supports just in case: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Shock-Doctor-Supporter-Bilateral-Hinges/dp/B00598YB3A 

They also have some interesting padded undergarments.  

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Shockskin-Relaxed-Impact/dp/B005C2QQ9U

One other option:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Composite-Polycentric-Powercentric-Hinged-Knee-Brace/120954718736

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these hinged knee supports just in case: 

https://www.amazon.ca/Shock-Doctor-Supporter-Bilateral-Hinges/dp/B00598YB3A 

Those particular knee braces are for mediolateral instability (side to side). There is no rotational control. Did you happen to slip on Canadian Goose poop? :)

23 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

They also have some interesting padded undergarments.  

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Shockskin-Relaxed-Impact/dp/B005C2QQ9U

Those are interesting. The shorts even come with a protective cup. If you agree to a photo shoot I will gladly have them shipped to your home. 

30 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Another side to side knee support but better quality. The donut hole would never protect your patella but if you did fall your scab would be nice and round. :laughbounce2:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Those particular knee braces are for mediolateral instability (side to side). There is no rotational control. Did you happen to slip on Canadian Goose poop? :)

If I did it must have thawed out from this spring melt we've been having.  :w00t2:  It's time to get some more riding gear!  Does the Donjoy Bionic Fullstop knee support have rotational control?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If I did it must have thawed out from this spring melt we've been having.  :w00t2:  It's time to get some more riding gear!  Does the Donjoy Bionic Fullstop knee support have rotational control?

To a minor degree but they are not designed for that purpose. The better designs have a more rigid carbon fiber construction with additional anterior posterior straps to resist any rotation. Unfortunately they are more costly.

26914237238_21b64294e3_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

If I wanted to go the extra mile to protect both the knee ligaments and patella this brace would be excellent. Unfortunately the price is extravagant!  

39892171085_a63190943d_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just ordered these knee braces from Amazon. They appear structurally sound and offer mediolateral stability while also protecting the patella from a direct impact. Once I receive them I will have a better idea. The one thing I like about Amazon is their return policy so if they don’t meet my stardards I can easily send them back

40748076932_5d9229ba25_b.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Rehab1

i recently thought about this here

https://www.amazon.de/Fox-Knieprotektor-Titan-Black-06192-001/dp/B00F4VJEIE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520962472&sr=8-2&keywords=fox+titan+pro

plus the titan pro elbow guards :-)

(and i thought that was expensive, haha)

Those look nice! I can’t see in the photo if there is an articulation at the knee joint. It appears there are two rivets that could be the pivot points. I hate buying equipment  without first being able to try them on but again Anazon has never let me down. 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

If I wanted to go the extra mile to protect both the knee ligaments and patella this brace would be excellent. Unfortunately the price is extravagant!  

If you want extravagant you should see my medical bills! Fortunately I have good insurance but it's still a $35 copay per visit.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

If you want extravagant you should see my medical bills! Fortunately I have good insurance but it's still a $35 copay per visit.

I hear you. My surgery bills are still arriving.

The knee braces I just purchased appear to be as biomechanically sound as the previous version that were 2xs more costly but until they arrive this is just a gestalt reference. 

Edited by Rehab1

Nice find!  Let us know how they turn out.  Looks like the Motocross people use these.

In terms of pricing, these are apples and knee guards are oranges so you can't really compare prices as the functions are different.  Brace and brace/guard versus pad/guard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice find!  Let us know how they turn out.  Looks like the Motocross people use these. In terms of pricing, these are apples and knee guards are oranges so you can't really compare prices as the functions are different.  Brace and brace/guard versus pad/guard.

Great informative videos. Wow and thought my pair of knee braces were expensive. 

39898485455_4c5fa57bca_b.jpg

It would be nice to evaluate both types of  braces side by side to see the difference in terms of construction and anatomical support. Hurry Hunka only 2 left!!!!!:P

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Left me guess.....:confused1:......$20k?

$10 Billion dollars!  :w00t2:  (You have to factor in the lavish lifestyle that goes with the suit.)  :innocent1:

https://mashable.com/2013/04/23/cost-to-be-iron-man-3/#Fp6Urk5sKGqs

Or just over one billion for the suit alone!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

$10 Billion dollars!  :w00t2:  (You have to factor in the lavish lifestyle that goes with the suit.)  :innocent1:

https://mashable.com/2013/04/23/cost-to-be-iron-man-3/#Fp6Urk5sKGqs

Or just over one billion for the suit alone!

They're $29.99 on Alibaba - plus shipping. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

They're $29.99 on Alibaba - plus shipping. 

The best price I could find was $38.68. Last derailment for me on this topic.:facepalm:

38984269360_b9c37e87e4_b.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The best price I could find was $38.68. Last derailment for me on this topic.:facepalm:

38984269360_b9c37e87e4_b.jpg

Okay okay...I know this is an important topic and we should not veer in other directions but I’ve been at work all day and didn’t see this until just now ...;)

Im planning on something like this for Halloween this year when I take my kid trick or treating . There were a bunch of “cool dads “ on Segway minipros riding around the neighborhood with their kids last year. Man wait till they see iron man cruising down the block on one wheel at 2x the speed their little segways go. :P

• Like 3