Upgrade a unicycle with an extra battery. Is this a good one?

Xima Lhotz

Hello.

I have an Lhotz with the 340wH cell and i get by with it for all my needs but with little to spair. 

I can't go the extra detour, then the battery won't last and I would have to add a public commute.

So I have a little battery anxiety and need just a bit more to be sure in all conditions.

So I found this 132wH cell with Sony batteries with what seems a standard BMS with all the necessary circuits and it's so thin I think that with little effort I can fit it directly in my casing.

http://m.dhgate.com/product/60v-dynamic-18650-2200mah-li-ion-battery/240753746.html#Viewsdr

So now for my questions.

Are these batteries / bms of good quality?

Is it ok to just connect these cells in parallel and be done with it?

Or or is this a good way to distroy the wheel?

I don't need to shunt the bms for my needs .

I would charge the cells to full before connecting them togher so I wouldn't have that big of a voltage difference.

4 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

Like many advanced posters stated before. You have to be careful with connecting with 2 batteries together. If there is a large difference of voltage between those, you could end up smoking battery fume. And that's the whole reason why in my little external battery project I go the long way using a DC to DC step-up transformer in-between.

Also, are you sure a 132wh is enough? I thought since you already have a 340wh, you would have liked to go for 500wh or more.

1 hour ago, Philip W said:

Yes.

5 hours ago, Xima Lhotz said:

I would charge the cells to full before connecting them togher so I wouldn't have that big of a voltage difference.

As long as you have comparable voltage levels when you connect the xtra battery,you'll be fine.I have 6 wheels and have augmented 5 of them with the 132wh packs.My KS-18a went from 520wh to 784wh with 2 added packs.My IPS kahuna got 2 packs making it 520wh from the stock 260wh.I have an IPS a-130 with one inside which doubled the power to 260wh.Just make sure your connections are soldered and heat shrinked for integrity or use Y connectors.The last thing you want is sloppy connections.

17 hours ago, Philip W said:

Like many advanced posters stated before.

Yes, I should have used the search function, I posted then searched and sure enough I wasn't the first one to ask this :-)

I go the long way using a DC to DC step-up transformer in-between.

Nice project! but for my situation I want the power directly and not charge to get further. 

Also, are you sure a 132wh is enough? I thought since you already have a 340wh, you would have liked to go for 500wh or more.

Yes it's probably enough, but now that I'm doing it why not give it a try to squeeze in 2 batteries an have 604wH or if I use the 174wH type I get 688wH... 

Thank you for your info!

16 hours ago, jrkline said:

Yes.

Great :-)

I have 6 wheels and have augmented 5 of them with the 132wh packs.

Do you have a good reseller of batteries (complete bms) 132 or 174 wH they you can recommend?

Just make sure your connections are soldered and heat shrinked for integrity or use Y connectors.The last thing you want is sloppy connections.

Will do that, it's definitely a faceplant waiting to happen otherwise.

Thank for all the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Information to other Lhotz users.

I opened the wheel to see if I could fit the battery properly but without massive rebuild it won't be possible to add a battery.

So until I find a different form or capacity the projects is on ice.

Hi, Xima. Do you think it's a good idea to offer people here a generic EUC charger with 36v hoverboard batteries? I once searched the whole internet and found nothing I like. Probably people here would like to get one that's ready made.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Xima, I've been looking at doing this myself as i have a similar 132wh pack around and I'm disappointed to think I can't as I really want that extra power as i ride mine for an hour to work every day which is great on the way to work but its slightly downhill nearly all the way so I arrive with around 85% the way home takes me to 20-30% battery and once i pass below 50% I always slow down for safety as I'm sure most of us do so I would be very interested if any of you have any ideas on this one or even better have accomplished this and are willing to share how they did it. I love to tinker but as this is my pride and joy and voiding the warranty without achieving something for it thank you for starting the thread as I was looking to start one myself on the subject.

Archived