Any Tips For Long Distance Riding?

My IPS191 came with grip tape pre-installed on the pedals. I like the secure feeling it provides. My feet definitely move around less when going over bumps. Also, the pedals are angled slightly towards the EUC body like a very shallow V. This helps keep my feet naturally against the sides of the EUC body, which also provides a secure feeling.

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

My IPS191 came with grip tape pre-installed on the pedals.

I'm interested toknow how long your "factory fitted" grip tape has lasted? 

Mine was falling off (like the silver lettering) before I had gone 50km - hence the (industrial) replacement...

That's something I haven't paid attention to, firewheels are bigger than gotways, maybe thats why my feet are exhausted quicker ..

Maybe also placing your feet more to the back of the pedals might help ?

I just went for a 12 km roll, and this time my feet felt much better.  I wore some skater shoes and did more heel toe and side to side foot movements as well as slaloms so there was less foot tingling and fatigue.

While on my ride I suddenly heard sirens approaching at high speed behind me while I was riding on the sidewalk.... I immediately thought oh great this is it .... They're gonna fine me, but sure enough they sped by.  I quickly exited to a park area.... Whew that was a close one!

I also got to try out my new pair of motorcycle riding gloves with the palm protectors and the knuckle pads.  Not too bad for $13 from AliEx.  I also wore my summer motorcycle riding jacket with the elbow and shoulder pads hidden inside.  The air really circulates well through my jacket so it's just perfect.  It definitely feels safer wearing a little bit of gear.  I'm still waiting on my knee pads, but with the postal strike it could be a while.  I also ordered a new helmet, but I'll have to see how that works out in terms of peripheral hearing.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, Cloud said:

Scateboarding grip tape works great,ine has been on for several months without changing and is still going strong

21 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I'm interested toknow how long your "factory fitted" grip tape has lasted? 

Mine was falling off (like the silver lettering) before I had gone 50km - hence the (industrial) replacement

At 100 km the pre-installed grip tape on my IPS121 is still attached. However, I will buy some now so that I am ready when it starts coming off.

I removed the silver lettering, which already began coming off on the very first day of riding.

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

At 100 km the pre-installed grip tape on my IPS121 is still attached. However, I will buy some now so that I am ready when it starts coming off.

I removed the silver lettering, which already began coming off on the very first day of riding.

Yes. I have removed all of the lettering too now - not only does or look better than "some letters," but it shows up the matt look of the wheel (mine is black). And now it looks awesome! 

When you come to replace the grip tape, I recommend that you wear gloves...  My fingerprints are still growing back. 

Hmmmnn...  But thinking about that - :ph34r:

Are the pedals the same for the IPS121 and IPS191? I have been thinking about digitising the template and sharing - but I don't know how unique the pedals are. 

Mine must have lasted a 1000 miles or so. The back side is adhesive and stuck to the pedals nicely even though the pedal surface is not smooth and has ribs. There is no way uts gonna come off by itself

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Mine must have lasted a 1000 miles or so. The back side is adhesive and stuck to the pedals nicely even though the pedal surface is not smooth and has ribs. There is no way uts gonna come off by itself

Mine didn't come off, technically... it was more that it just dissolved.

Possibly the result of a fat unicyclist attempting to mimic EUCExtreme.

Mind you the positioning of the original (grip tape and lettering) was pretty rough anyway, which didn't help. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:51 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Are the pedals the same for the IPS121 and IPS191? I have been thinking about digitising the template and sharing - but I don't know how unique the pedals are.

No, the pedals are very different.

121pedals.jpg

191pedals.jpg

Some people in my riding group have advised me... Especially when I rode the IPS with the split pedals that the best thing to do is to wrap the pedals first with something like duct tape then to wrap on top of that grip tape.  I tried it and it felt really secure but over time it will still wear away.  Can't really say how long it will last you but maybe worth giving it a try.

Anyone ever get "Foot Lock" after a long ride?  I went on my usual 14 km cruise through some bike paths, and I didn't stop at all during the trip.  Slaloming and heel toeing really helped with the blood flow and was fun at the same time.  Just as I'm stopping at my house it's like I've forgotten how to stop and get off!  I awkwardly take my foot off, but I think my legs are a little immobilized or frozen up or just not moving that well so my wheel takes a bit of an uncontrolled 90 degree spin and is sideways scraping the pedal support bottom a bit before I can catch it.

I'm not the best at dismounting so I'll have to practice that more.  I'm so used to balancing that the act of stepping off just doesn't seem as natural to me.  I usually try to move one leg off and lean to the side a little.  I know it's a very basic thing to do, but I think travelling for so long my brain is automatically tuned into balance mode so it's hard to break out of that.  Precious also has a slight scrape on the bottom of a pedal as I rode off a curved sidewalk too gradually.  :(  Oh well, gotta get some of that carbon trim that Supersport uses!

Shoes are SUPER important. I just started wearing nike AF1 while wheeling and its a whole different experience. Sooooo much easier on the feet. Big thick rubber soles. Much easier to control the wheel. Boots are good 2.:D 

Archived