Most Embarrassing Moment Riding Your EUC

Rehab1

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But you ride an Lhotz... Isn't that what it was made for?

@MaxLinux I've seen some of your rides on the Lhotz, have you ever ridden it off pavement?..I wonder how the wider tire handles pea gravel, there are some bike trails near me that I ride on a NB1 E+, it has not slid out on me yet but i worry about it sometimes.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

@MaxLinux I've seen some of your rides on the Lhotz, have you ever ridden it off pavement?..I wonder how the wider tire handles pea gravel, there are some bike trails near me that I ride on a NB1 E+, it has not slid out on me yet but i worry about it sometimes.

I ride my Lhotz on lots of unsealed surfaces, and it loves them...

pencarrow.jpg

This access road goes through varying types and depths of gravel, and the Lhotz happily blasted through 12km of it at a sustained speed of 20+km/h.

I haven't tried this on anything with a skinny tyre, but with the 2.5" it was exceptionally stable. 

5 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

You are correct, but this place is so lumpy I have not been courageous enough to try it!

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

("Tao Te Ching")

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

I've seen some of your rides on the Lhotz, have you ever ridden it off pavement?..

No, not for extended rides, only incidental to urban riding. I find the off-road capabilities of the Lhotz are valuable for urban environments. The Lhotz provides an extra level of stability and handling for broken pavement, rocks, overgrown parking lots, crumbling concrete, rough unpaved areas, etc. And of course it has huge amounts of torque for hill climbing! The Lhotz excels in the city as well as on the trail.

19 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I ride my Lhotz on lots of unsealed surfaces, and it loves them...

pencarrow.jpg

This access road goes through varying types and depths of gravel, and the Lhotz happily blasted through 12km of it at a sustained speed of 20+km/h.

I haven't tried this on anything with a skinny tyre, but with the 2.5" it was exceptionally stable. 

Pencarrow coast?

2 hours ago, litewave said:

Pencarrow coast?

Yes. That was taken somewhere between the end of the Eastbourne road and the lighthouse. The whole access road is a great ride - though I haven't been game to try riding over the cattle stop yet. 

When I get a Yi 4K, I plan to strap it really low to the ground and ride that track at full speed - not only will that test the image stabilisation of the camera, but you will all get to hear me screaming like a 12 year old girl. 

And if we're really lucky, I'll have to bail and it will all be on video! 

1 minute ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes. That was taken somewhere between the end of the Eastbourne road and the lighthouse. The whole access road is a great ride ...

Hah, nailed it!  Been there, very nice place to ride when the weather gods are smiling. :D

When I get a Yi 4K, I plan to strap it really low to the ground and ride that track at full speed - not only will that test the image stabilisation of the camera, but you will all get to hear me screaming like a 12 year old girl. 

And if we're really lucky, I'll have to bail and it will all be on video! 

Yes, please! That will be very entertaining to watch  - especially with a kiwi vocabulary and accent :lol:

1 minute ago, litewave said:

Hah, nailed it!  Been there, very nice place to ride when the weather gods are smiling. :D

Yes, please! That will be very entertaining to watch  - especially with a kiwi vocabulary and accent :lol:

Yes, that photo was taken 17 August - a stunning mid-winter Wellington day (17°C / 63°F even), so I blew off work and went for a blast. 

As for the Kiwi vocabulary / accent - I think that 12 year old girl screams are the same all around the world...

As for the Kiwi vocabulary / accent - I think that 12 year old girl screams are the same all around the world...

Hopefully you'll add some commentary besides just screeching, though I personally have never made a 12-year old girl scream.

1 minute ago, litewave said:

Hopefully you'll add some commentary besides just screeching, though I personally have never made a 12-year old girl scream.

Well you're obviously not pushing your limits hard enough!

11 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, that photo was taken 17 August - a stunning mid-winter Wellington day (17°C / 63°F even), so I blew off work and went for a blast. 

This is one of the big reasons why I'd consider New Zealand... a "stunning mid-winter day" here is something like -25C...

32 minutes ago, esaj said:

This is one of the big reasons why I'd consider New Zealand... a "stunning mid-winter day" here is something like -25C...

Wellington (and most of New Zealand) winters are not 'stunning' at all - most of the time. Although temps never go far below zero C, the antarctic winds, lateral rain and lack of insulation in most residential homes certainly feel much colder than the numbers indicate. Summers are pretty nice, except for the UV.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 20.31.05.png

26 minutes ago, litewave said:

Wellington (and most of New Zealand) winters are not 'stunning' at all - most of the time. Although temps never go far below zero C, the arctic winds, lateral rain and lack of insulation in most residential homes certainly feel much colder than the numbers indicate. Summers are pretty nice, except for the UV.

A few degrees below freezing doesn't sound that bad when you're walking with the dog at -30C with the snot freezing on your cheek.

I guess this would come pretty close to how I see the Finnish winter: ;)

Rough translation from "Ote luontoystävän päiväkirjasta" ("an extract from the diary of a nature lover"):

December 1st
It's snowing. The first snow is so beautiful. Nature turns into beautiful white, and the mind will cheer up when it's no longer so dark. I made my wife and myself some hot toddy, and sat at the window watching the flakes gently floating to the ground and covering wood branches. Really beautiful.

December 2nd
I woke up and looked out the window. The whole landscape was covered with crystal clear new snow. A fine sight. Each tree and shrub covered in white robe. I made my first winter snow removal and enjoyed every shovel... I shoveled the yard as well as the foot of the corridor. Later in the day the Technical Agency snowplow plowed the road and pushed the snow in front of the gate. The driver smiled at me and waved. I waved to him and shoveled the gate open again.

December 3rd.
Last night it snowed less than 15cm (about half a foot) of snow and freezing temperatures is in a couple of degrees. A birch on the yard broke a few branches from the weight of snow. I did snow removal. And again, after getting ready for work, became the plow truck. This time, the snow had a color of brownish gray.

December 4th
The weather became milder, the snow melted to mush, which then froze to slippery when frost again declined. I fell on my ass at the pavement. Had to pay 150e of outpatient clinic fee, but fortunately nothing was broken. Forecast promised more snow.

December 5th
Still cold. I sold my wife's car and bought an SUV, so that she could get to work. However, the car slid toward to the railing and the right front corner was badly piled. Last night it rained more than 15 cm of snow. Both cars are just covered with salt and mud. More snow shoveling today. That goddamn snow plow went past twice.

December 6th
10 degrees below zero. More of that damn snow. Outside, there's not a single tree or bush which would not be injured. Electricity was cut off almost all night. I tried to keep the house warm with candles and gas heater, which spilled over a little, caught fire and almost burned down the whole house. Fortunately, I got the flames to extinguish with the fire mat, but I got a second degree burns to hands and my eyelashes and eyebrows were burned. Car ran out of control on the way to the clinic and broke totally.

December 7th
That fucking damned white shit just keeps on coming. I need to have all my goddamn clothes on me just to go to the mailbox. If I get my hands on that asshole who drives the snowplow, I'll tear his fucking heart out. The motherfuckers' probably waiting somewhere just so I can get most shoveled, before he appears again! Electricity is still gone. The water pipe's frozen and it looks like the roof can't handle the weight of the snow.

December 8th
Fucking hell, 12 fucking centimeters of new fucking snow and sleet and fucking ice and lord only knows what shit it was raining from the sky last night. I tried to hit the snowplow driver with an ice pick, but he got away. Wife left me. The car will not start. I think that I'm about to go snow blind. I can not move my toes. I have not seen the sun for weeks. The forecasts promised more snow. Wind makes the air bitterly cold.

Goddamnit, I'm moving to Spain. I'm pissed of beyond all recognizition! Fucking snow and whole winter...

Although, for the last years we've rarely got (lasting) snow until the end of December (climate change?)

4 minutes ago, esaj said:

A few degrees below freezing doesn't sound that bad when you're walking with the dog at -30C with the snot freezing on your cheek.

I guess this would come pretty close to how I see the Finnish winter: ;)

Goddamnit, I'm moving to Spain. I'm pissed of beyond all recognizition! Fucking snow and whole winter...

Although, for the last years we've rarely got (lasting) snow until the end of December (climate change?)

Hah, that's funny. Weather seems to have warmed noticeably in the southern hemisphere as well.

Wellington is fairly cosmopolitan: I met several Finns, especially in IT. 

40 minutes ago, litewave said:

Wellington (and most of New Zealand) winters are not 'stunning' at all - most of the time. Although temps never go far below zero C, the antarctic winds, lateral rain and lack of insulation in most residential homes certainly feel much colder than the numbers indicate. Summers are pretty nice, except for the UV.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 20.31.05.png

Talking like that makes you sound like a whinging Australian...

Though I will admit that there can be a bit of wind chill (sometimes enough that I might even put on a jersey). My house is on a hill that looks straight down the Wellington harbour mouth, with nothing else until you get to Antarctica. So a good southerly will harden the nips a bit. 

And I do find it amusing when I'm traveling and see rain coming straight down out of the sky... So novel! 

But our summers are awesome: ~25°C (~78°F). And what are a few ozone holes between friends? 

11 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Talking like that makes you sound like a whinging Australian...

Though I will admit that there can be a bit of wind chill (sometimes enough that I might even put on a jersey). My house is on a hill that looks straight down the Wellington harbour mouth, with nothing else until you get to Antarctica. So a good southerly will harden the nips a bit. 

And I do find it amusing when I'm traveling and see rain coming straight down out of the sky... So novel! 

But our summers are awesome: ~25°C (~78°F). And what are a few ozone holes between friends? 

Cheers, mate, thanks for the compliment! I think Aussie whinging is funnier and less acerbic than kiwi sarcasm, and their girls are definitely prettier :P 

6 minutes ago, litewave said:

Cheers, mate, thanks for the compliment! I think Aussie whinging is funnier and less acerbic than kiwi sarcasm, and their girls are definitely prettier :P 

If you like your girls woolly with four legs. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a great post to pop my forum cherry!

I have an Airwheel Q3 currently and when I was learning, I seemed to always end up falling off around other people. Just when I thought I'd cracked it, I was on my way home from work approaching a sharp, 90 left turn on to a cycle path. There were some people walking down the path (left to right) so I thought I'd just stop, hold on to the streetlight and wait for them to pass. While I was waiting, my foot twitched and I ended up surging forward whilst still clinging on to the pole with my hands. This resulted in doing a ridiculous 360 around the lamppost (think Singin' in the Rain) and a less-than-graceful dismount causing the wheel to fall over and beep loudly.

All of this was observed by the pleasant couple walking down the path that neglected to say anything so as to spare further embarrassment!

Thanks to the new member @Ash...Welcome in the forum :) I was reminded of this funny thread and that I have some embarrassing experience from the last week.

Riding back from work, business casual dressed I decided to go through the skaters/bikers training place. Why...to get a jealous audience and to show off, of course :)  giving the fact that I'm still the only one visible EUC rider in this city.

So, in front of me rode a teen biker, who headed towards a steep incline and while I was enjoying the stares from the audience, I heard some warnings calling the biker by name. The biker climbed, I followed close, and when on an incline I suddenly realised that he is not aware of me and he is performing a trick - jump and 180 degrees turn!

IOT prevent a crash, I tried evasive maneuver while climbing which caused loss of balance on the top of the hill. I step off the wheel...but not in a stable way and fall on the ground. Injuries - only hurt ego :lol:

Some boys shouted critics to their confused and perplexed mate, I said, noooo, don't blame him, I was the one who did not properly estimate the distance and the fact that they perform tricks there. In the very next moment, I had an 8-10 years old boy, eyes wide opened, begging me to give him a try to ride :D The poor boy was booed from the rest teens for being inappropriate in this situation...

No need to tell you next days I got at a prudent distance from  the skaters/bikers training place.

2 minutes ago, DS said:

I decided to go through the skaters/bikers training place. Why...to get a jealous audience and to show off, of course :)

That's funny, because I do the same thing! on one of my regular rides, I always make a short detour to go past the local skateboard park. I love to look at their dumbfounded, jealous faces as I glide by effortlessly!

There was once in Flushing Meadow Park when I was catching Pockemons with my EUC, a park ranger said where was my mother, and she was looking for me. That was not only embarrassing, it was very insulting. That is the worst thing you can say to a stranger.

since then I lost all my respect to older rangers in that park. Ironically the younger rangers play pockemon go as well.

Archived