Just Passed 200 Miles this Morning on E+

dbfrese

Haven't ridden much lately, it's been too hot most of the time, but got out at 0700 this morning and the temperature was a nippy 81°F (27°C)  in the shade, perfect weather for a quick spin. Rode to the Jack-in-the-Box, got an iced coffee, glided through the desert on paved trails, and was reminded why I love my 9bot E+. It's just plain fun! I love the range, the speed and responsiveness, and the freedom to "fly" a couple of inches off the ground!

When the ride was over an hour and 17 minutes later, I'd gone 10.24 mi, (16.47 km), the temperature had climbed to 95°F (35 °C), but the temperature of the 9bot's board was still a relatively cool 141° F (60°  C). I still had 43% of a charge left on the battery, but experience tells me that it gets really "mushy" at around 35%, and once it gets down below 40% the remaining juice doesn't last long at all.... so it was best to get home.

I still don't want to take it out in the heat of the day, so my board doesn't get toasted in the Arizona sun. [Projected high for today is 108° F (42° C), last weekend it was 118° (47.8° C), and several hikers died due to heat-related conditions.]

Once the weather cools down in October, I'll start commuting to work on the bot, and the miles should start to rack up much more quickly, I probably won't have to drive the car much at all!

Screenshot_2016-06-25-08-17-34.png

Yep, the heat is brutal, even if it is a "dry heat". About twenty years ago I visited California and Arizona during August, with the temperatures regularly at 110°F or so. I rented a mountain bike at Zion national park and cycled on some dirt trails and over some rocks, but didn't take anything to drink, because it didn't feel all that hot with the wind in my face. I almost didn't make it back, even though it was just an hour or so.

Archived