Gotway MCM 14 Gen 2s

So I am in the process of purchasing this wheel. This will be my first ever wheel as these items are not only not advertised, but without some effort not even known in Canada. I am an avid skateboarder/snowboarder so I imagine this should come easy to me, although it might not as I cannot maintain a wheelie on a bike longer than 5 seconds and I cannot ride a unicycle <(I have tried.) 

Either way I" am going to take the plunge and make the purchase

Some questions I have if someone would like to address them

1. There is a few hills around here and BIG ones and my skateboard goes fast. From what I've read when I hit max speed on the gotway I get "a free flying lesson" So does this mean I'm flying down the road come up on a hill and have to  (lean back?)  sorry still not even sure how to control these things..or rather brake down the hill and maintain 30kms/h or whatever it is.. I can't just do the same as I do on my skateboard, just crunch up and go faster. Does the gyro stop working after max speed or what does the wheel not have a Brake system? Or better yet why can't it just coast a bit faster or coast at max speed. Why the violence.

2.  Are these beasts just Bike tires ?? If not, where would I be able lo get different tires, Are they tubeless ?? or do they have a tube ?

3.Does it come with instructions,. if so do the instructions come in english ?

4. Do I open my gotway up and whatnot to install the light kit or do I just run the wires on the outside ?? I have been a little hesitant when I heard the kit was a DIY but I ordered a bunch of the pieces anyway..

The warning beeps on Gotways come in very early to prevent "flying lessons".

Most people with the latest ones turn off the first and second beep and either take notice of the third beep or use the vibration alert on their phone which can be set to 28kph, but that is "Gotway speed" which is about 3kph fast so an actual 25kph which the wheel can cruise at in most situations.

So if you cruise with constant beeping and pull back a bit when you feel the vibe in your phone you shouldn't get too many "flying lessons" but final shut down is load dependant rather than speed dependant so depending on the terrain you may try flying.

Most people tend to pull back on the beeps because to be honest they get very annoying.

The brakes are in the form of regenerative braking so you are putting juice back into the battery but if you fully charge and then start off immediately down a long steep hill the battery protection can cut in and shut down the wheel. Don't worry too much it has to be a very long steep hill for that to happen.

My M10 is a tubeless tyre but all my other eucs have tubes.

Instructions are very complicated :) lean forward to go forward and back to go back :)

With Gotways it is best to turn on the charger before you plug it in to the wheel, that way you minimise any sparking but you may still get a little if you run the battery really low on charge.It"s better not to run the battery low as thathas a significant impact on it's life expectancy. Thats why I prevously sugested that you get the bigest battery on your earlier post.

Most people with the latest ones turn off the first and second beep and either take notice of the third beep or use the vibration alert on their phone which can be set to 28kph, but that is "Gotway speed" which is about 3kph fast so an actual 25kph which the wheel can cruise at in most situations.

So if you cruise with constant beeping and pull back a bit when you feel the vibe in your phone you shouldn't get too many "flying lessons" but final shut down is load dependant rather than speed dependant so depending on the terrain you may try flying.

Most people tend to pull back on the beeps because to be honest they get very annoying.

The brakes are in the form of regenerative braking so you are putting juice back into the battery but if you fully charge and then start off immediately down a long steep hill the battery protection can cut in and shut down the wheel. Don't worry too much it has to be a very long steep hill for that to happen.

Instructions are very complicated :) lean forward to go forward and back to go back :)

With Gotways it is best to turn on the charger before you plug it in to the wheel, that way you minimise any sparking but you may still get a little if you run the battery really low on charge.It"s better not to run the battery low as thathas a significant impact on it's life expectancy. Thats why I prevously sugested that you get the bigest battery on your earlier post.

​Thank you Gimlet, Very informative. Also I haave taken your advice and  since messaged for an updated quote for the largest battery option available.

Great! I'm sure at some point down the line you'll be glad you upgraded. The extra weight involved is not noticeble as a small proportion of the all up weght of the wheel and if you have hills then it will make a huge difference in the power can can draw from the batteryon long climbs.

Howabout the ninebot e+. Not too sure if it has the beeps like teh gotway but it's ios compatible I do believe, you can get bluetooth headphones with it and now it has a wristband that gives you the speed and low battery warnings,

• 5 weeks later...

I just ordered this wheel on July 10 from Kevin Lee

Gotway MCM2s 340 Carbon Black. Price is US$633 and delivery to the US is US$200. Total is US$833.

Unfortunately had problem in shipping so still haven't received it.  Hopefully soon.  Will update when arrives.

Nick

• 3 months later...
On 22.06.2015, 9:16:28, Gimlet said:

Cold you tell me if Gotway mcm2s has fanless charger? I received it with fanless charger!

On 22.06.2015, 9:16:28, Gimlet said:

On 23.07.2015, 7:35:27, Gimlet said:

Battery problems with the airlines I suspect.

And what about taking the wheel to the airport to take it to holiday? Are they acceptable for the big luggage 15kg? I heard that the lithium batteries are quite dangerous .. More over, airport operators always asking if there are batteries in the bag. Does anybody have any experience with this?? 

39 minutes ago, Lovely said:

And what about taking the wheel to the airport to take it to holiday? Are they acceptable for the big luggage 15kg? I heard that the lithium batteries are quite dangerous .. More over, airport operators always asking if there are batteries in the bag. Does anybody have any experience with this?? 

Please don't take the risk. Your EUC has a battery capacity which is above the maximum allowed for lithium batteries and it may also depend on the mood of the airport security. They will see the lithium batteries while screening.

2 hours ago, Lovely said:

google 

plane battery site:http://forum.electricunicycle.org/

for more information. 

Thank you very much for information guys! I think for my flight I could buy something like Zip Wheel 16" by eightball with its 132W battery. I could take out the battery to put it in the check in bag, but the wheel left in the big luggage. Hope it would be ok.

Archived