What Are Your Favorite TV shows?

If I had to pick only one.
Game Of Thrones.

If I had a top 5.
Game Of Thrones,
Firefly,
Stargate (all of them)
Battlestar Galactica,
Marvel agents of shield. (only because they fill in the gaps between the movies)

I don't consider anime a "tv show" so I don't include them.

• Like 1

Just binge watched season two of “Stranger Things” last night.  It’s fun to see the show set back in the early 80’s.  The Walking Dead has been pretty good so far this season.

Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House series was decent, though it wasn't really "based on" the book but rather used certain names from it and other light touches.   Not at all a remake.  The first episode or two has some people being obnoxious, which is dull to sit through, but then it picks up speed.

Also, I am watching the first season of The Mist there.  Again pretty decent.  Differs a lot from the movie; never read the book.

I'm also watching a lot of documentaries on Netflix.  There's constant talk about this being the age of "Peak TV,"  but it's always in relation to fiction.  I'm finding much of the fiction underwhelming to say the least, but where TV is really starting to shine now, for me, is in the documentary series.  Rotten, Explained, Toys, Ugly Delicious, Chef's Table, The Wild, Dirty Money ... plenty of outstanding series around now.

• Like 1

It’s amazing how many Netflix original series there are.  I like several of the documentary series they have as well.  Rotten -  check.  Toys that made us - check.  They have some good travel shows and hotel/house/architecture series as well.

Speaking of documentaries to watch, anyone see this Netflix doc “Print the Legend?”  I’m about four years late to the party, but it was an interesting show documenting the early days of 3D printing for the masses.  The growing pains and tribulations were eye-opening.  You get to know some of the people behind the products.  Worth watching.

Haven't seen it, but that is an inherently interesting process.  So much has already been accomplished in a short time, and there's so much more that is also likely to be accomplished, a great deal of it in a relatively short time.  Pretty exciting field!  And it intersects so many sciences and other fields.  Lots of cause for optimism there!  

I'll probably check that one out.

• Upvote 1

I like a lot of options, but you know the sad thing is that there's no way one can possibly watch all the interesting productions out there.  Even on my mediabox with some of the apps like Bobby Movie or Morpheus TV, there are movies and shows I've never even heard of, and a lot of them have some pretty big named stars.  I recently watched a weird Indie movie called "Good Dick" by Marianna Palka.  It had Jason Ritter (John Ritter's kid I think) in it.  It was a quirky and unusual movie about a broken woman that a video store clerk inexplicably falls for.  She's abusive and dark and very unlikeable, but the protagonist is completely infatuated with her to the point of allowing her to abuse him.  Unconditional infatuation?  I never knew there was such a thing!  But it was a trip following the two and trying to figure out what made this woman the way she was and see how Jason Ritter kept believing that he could find his way into her heart.  I almost didn't make it through the whole movie, but it had an appeal to it that kept me watching.  :popcorn:

I have always liked anti-heroes -- who doesn't like The Godfather? or Tuco Ramirez?  or Mr. Pink?  -- but have trouble getting into the swing of things when characters of much importance don't have sufficient redeeming qualities to make me want to come along for the ride, so to speak, of their story.  I'm sure we've all seen shows in which we were rooting for the hero to die! :D  

There seems to be a lot more of that these days.

I have seen a lot of that in Japanese anime.  You start off with a snotty kid who seems to be more a slouch and a hairstyle than anything else, and perhaps are supposed to find that cool and all-around awesome or something so now you like Mr. Snotty Slouch ... but I find it hard to care what happens to a dull, jerk.  

I used to go to writer's groups and take creative writing classes.  Often, when we shared our writing,  you'd read flat characters who were supposed to be cool a priori, just because.  But I couldn't help wondering why until considering the writer, who might well look like The Prince of the Untroubled Brow, too lightly tested by life to even consider how deep his qualities really ran.

I think these are the people who write characters no one could ever care about, assuming that's enough.  They are writing what they know.

Er ... The Unbelievable?

No.

It sounds like something sold on the Home Shopping Network.

:popcorn:  Been watching a few first episodes of this show on Netflix called “Monty Don’s French Gardens.”  It’s rather interesting!  :w00t2:  I’m no green thumb or gardener, but some of the places he visits in France are very scenic.  They almost beat meep’s traveling places that he rolls around to.  :whistling:  If I die before seeing some of that French countryside in person, I’ll have lived a life unfullfilled!  :cry2:

https://usa.newonnetflix.info/info/81032669/s

There are a whole lot of beautiful places in the world, and it's fun seeing them however we can.

That's one reason I often find foreign films inherently interesting, especially period pieces.  They show a different place, and the period ones tend to have more that's different about them, from more nature and all the lovely scenery involved with it to food and crafts, even table manners.   It gives you something to look at while the characters are yapping.

With more modern settings, things tend to look much more alike, from mini-malls to hair cuts to music to clothes ... and people rarely go near nature for long, if at all.

Even more fun, to me, are period pieces in places distant from my cultural background, like the Kurosawa films set in old Japan.  To me it's fascinating that window shutters there are left with cracks between the slats, or that steps of even a middle-class home might be made of sticks bundled together into a rough log.  Seemingly everywhere you look, there's something to see.

• Like 1