What Are Your Favorite TV shows?

On 2/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Resurrecting this post. So what did you think now the season has come to an end? I watched the finale last night.

My impression is that it is better than I thought. I don't think it is up there with Next Generation or Voyager but worthy of the Star Trek name and pleased it had substance and ethical undertones to the stories, unlike the Abrams reboots which are basically just an action fest to appeal to those with ADD.

As a technical Trekkie I found some of it difficult to run with. The Spore Hub Drive just seems a bit too convenient. Warp tech is theoretically possible but this spore drive is a bit out there and I know of no reference to it in any other Trek series (especially Voyager where it would have been so useful) so it isn't really following cannon. Such powerful drive technology would surely have at least been mentioned in the future, even if it were outlawed due to the human navigator component. I also have trouble with the modern looking ship given that this was pre-Kirk. They did a great job in Enterprise of making the ship look less technical than Kirk's era but still palatable for modern TV. I also didn't like the reboot of the Klingon look. It is what it is.

The main running storyline was cool although I would have prefered the episodes to have had more of a conclusion each time. It seemed more like one long running story in most cases.

Overall 7.5 out of 10. A better start to a series than Enterprise had although Enterprise thoroughly redeemed itself by season 3. I'm glad Discovery season 2 has been authorized. It'll be interesting to see where they take it now the Spore Drive is out of commission and the Klingon story has reached a conclusion.

I so wanted to like it but the plot holes kept annoying me to the point where i probably won't be watching the rest of the series. In the last episode i saw they had to beam two crew members onto the Kilingon ship to plant a tracker so they could then find it to shoot at it. Instead of all the messing about why didn't why just beam a bomb onto it rather than the two crew members...or have the crew members take a bomb with them and plant it...

Really enjoyed the last series of Fargo, US Shameless is good, the original series of The Bridge, Better Call Saul ... all great 

• Like 1

I've been rewatching Star Trek Discovery to catch things I missed the first time, and yes there are plot holes here and there like why did only Captain Georgiou and Michael beam over to the damaged Klingon crypt-ship after they crippled it with the bomb attached to the body?  Why not send a contingent of security personnel to do a strategic strike and capture of T'Kuvma?  That seems a little cowboyish and wreckless.  Also those long distance Sarek/Michael mind-Facetime moments were a little far-fetched.  Sometimes you just have to admire it for what it is and forgive the creative decisions writers take.  Otherwise we wouldn't have any good horror movies and such, right?  You always have to have some plot forwarding devices where certain decision lead the characters along their path?

I really liked Saul in the Breaking Bad series, but I just couldn't get into the Better Call Saul show for some reason.  I might have to take another look at it.  I've been watching Altered Carbon a bit, and although it's different and somewhat interesting, it's a little tricky to follow all the tech mumbo jumbo.  I had to turn on subtitles to clue in on some of the colloquialisms and obscure abbreviations.  It's almost what you wished the new Blade Runner movie should have been in terms of visuals.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I only wish there was time in my life to sit back and enjoy these shows Hunka.

With Netflix and all the other streaming options without commercials, it's pretty easy to binge watch a few episodes of a lot of series.  I tend to watch very little TV usually, but I'll catch the entire series of Game of Thrones, House, Heroes, or Lost over the span of a few weeks.  Have you seen Breaking Bad?  That was a wild ride.  I probably watch way too much TV, but it's entertaining and keeps the brain muscles working.  ^_^

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

With Netflix and all the other streaming options without commercials, it's pretty easy to binge watch a few episodes of a lot of series.  I tend to watch very little TV, but I'll catch the entire series of Game of Thrones, House, Heroes, or Lost over the span of a few weeks.  Have you seen Breaking Bad?  That was a wild ride.  I probably watch way too much TV, but it's entertaining and keeps the brain muscles working.  ^_^

You and my wife would get along great! ;)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Just finished 'Altered Carbon' - was underwhelmed to be honest.

I read the book quite long time ago, it was actually fun to watch since I had completely forgotten most of the plot and the ending. Of course no TV-series can ever be as good as the book...

Still waiting for https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/06/syfy-to-adapt-and-film-dan-simmons-hyperion-as-an-event-series/  but I guess it might have been cancelled. Also wouldn't mind if most of William Gibsons' production were brought on screen. Or Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Or Stephen King's entire Dark Tower-series...

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just completed binge watching the entire four seasons of Star Trek Enterprise, and it actually grew on me more than expected.  I loved the Andorian episodes!  General Shran was awesome.  I think maybe I didn't give it enough time to develop at first when it aired, but with this Star Trek gap it really helped fill the void.  

Scott Bakula wasn't as bad as I had first thought, and Trip Tucker really had some memorable moments.  I was sad after watching the ending that they didn't have a few more seasons.

Edit:  others seem to feel the same way...

http://www.startrek.com/article/poll-reveals-changed-perception-of-enterprise

• Like 2

My wife and I have really surprised ourselves by bingeing on every episode of Inspector Montalbano. (Thankfully they are making some more right now ?)

We do not really associate Italy with brilliant TV (well @Hunka Hunka Burning Love might!) and neither of us speak Italian so we had to watch it with subtitles on - for native English speakers, spoilt for choice, something we would not usually bother with. However, the fantastic scenery, great stories, humour and brilliant acting have made it unmissable. Surprisingly, the subtitles force you to concentrate on the story and not get sidetracked which actually enhances the programme. Sicily, being so like, and right next door to, my wife’s family home of Malta with very similar architecture and mannerisms enhanced it even further.

Inspector Montalbano has been being made as something like 2 or 4 per year, 100 minute long feature length stories since 1999 and all but one of the same main cast are still in it. Something of a testiment in itself to how good the chemistry between them all is. 

We had our honeymoon in Rome too many years ago and I’m still mentally scarred by the motorised house cleaning brush salesman with chronic asthma who seemed to be on television for hours and hours gasping his way with great excitement, his face bright red, through EVERY page of the huge manual it came with. Even though we didn’t understand a word he said we just couldn’t switch it off due to the morbid fascination that he would have a heart attack on live TV at any moment.  Now THAT’s what I associate with Italian TV!

Thankfully watching TV wasn’t high on our agenda in Rome. Traumatised by the brush salesman, we never turned it on again ? so I never did get to see such famous Italian TV delights as girls changing their swimming costume whilst swimming in glass tubes full of water.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Keith said:

We had our honeymoon in Rome too many years ago and I’m still mentally scarred by the motorised house cleaning brush salesman with chronic asthma who seemed to be on television for hours and hours gasping his way with great excitement, his face bright red, through EVERY page of the huge manual it came with.

:laughbounce2: Please find that video. 

• Like 1

We often knock the Chinese and some of their products, but they got some really cool buildings!  I remember that Vegas has a Star Trek experience a few years back... never had a chance to go.  :cry2:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/china/articles/Theres-a-building-in-China-shaped-like-Star-Treks-USS-Enterprise/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WilliG said:

I haven't been able to watch a show since Breaking Bad. My friends tell me I'm missing out but honestly, no show has given me the excitement Breaking Bad gave me.

Westworld my friend, WESTWORLD.

I had the same thing. Thought nothing could match BB. Perfect time to watch s1 now too, as you'll finish it nicely in time for S2.

• Upvote 1

If you like Breaking Bad, you'd probably like Shameless (US).  On a side note, Rachel, why are you leaving Suits?  NOOoOOoOOoOooo!!!!!  :cry2:  :crying: Darn I hate that Prince Harry guy.  Ruined the show!  :furious:

:dribble:  I would have a difficult time leaving that change room...  We'd be like binge watching Star Trek episodes on Netflix all night together!  :w00t2:  Interesting fun fact - Talulah Riley was married to Elon Musk.

New to me Netflix recommended shows to watch :w00t2::

Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father

I haven't watched "Fresh Meat" for a while (another good show), but this Netflix travels series is really funny!  Jack was the irritating fratboy on Fresh Meat, and he continues with his brand of comedy in this entertaining trip around the world with his dad.  I'm on episode three so far.

Rotten

This is quite an eye opening food documentary revealing some behind the scene scandals and criminal activities going on related to the food industry.  You would never know the tribulations that local honey producers face against global challenges for such a common product.  The Chinese as well as Germans seem to have a hand in everything and have certain ways to try to cheat the system.  Add to that local hive theft, pesticides, and diminshing colonies, and you've got an intriguing and unfortunate series of obstacles producers are facing.

Anyone watching "Billions?"  I know you are @Smoother where ever you are.  What's up with all the kinky S&M stuff?  :w00t2:  I know some people in positions of power have some odd fetishes, but yeeks it seems to be an ongoing sort of dark side to Paul Giamatti's character on the show.  I'm only on season 1, but it's pretty interesting.  Kinda reminds me of the whole Wolf of Wallstreet sort of vibe but a little more smoldering and tension...

• 1 month later...

So disappointed.  Another good show down the tubes.  Why did Rachel have to marry that darn Harry guy?  Now she and Mike Ross are gone from "Suits." :crying: WhyyyyyyyYYYYYyyyyyy!?? 

Oh well, we still have Westworld but no Anthony Hopkins.  :crying:  When is Game of Thrones ever getting back on TV?  After a while you start forgetting about all the plot twists and storylines... 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...