What Are Your Favorite TV shows?

I'm coming to the end of season 6 and ready for season 7.  Really loving this show.

Also am willing to keep watching Bojack Horseman and a couple of suburban zombie series on Netflix.  You know, the kind that are supposed to be cute and clever.  One is with Drew Barrymore and is at times really good.  

Tried Castlevania and the story seems all over the place and unexceptional.  Additionally, Dracula had every random power you could imagine, the kind of thing that has always struck me as overboard and unimaginative.  

Going to start Westworld after I'm done with season 7 of Game of Thrones.

I occasionally go back and watch old episodes of Breaking Bad.  

Following Better Call Saul and Ash vs. Evil Dead, but they're on haitus for now.

I got HBO so i will probably watch the second season of True Detective, despite the negative reviews.  

Also there is an anime series done by Studio Ghibli and I think with some of Hayao Miyazaki's input on Amazon called Ronin which I'll check out.  They also have that Phillip K. Dick series on the Nazis/Japanese having won the war which I've been meaning to give a shot for a while now.

And very occasionally I give Black Mirror a shot, which according to the overwhelmingly positive reviews I should be doing much, much more often.

• Upvote 2

Been watching the first few episodes (maybe 4 or 5) of Ozark in Netflix, at first I thought it wouldn't be that good, but it's actually been very entertaining at least so far. Also Limitless (the series based on the movie). Waiting for new seasons on The Expanse, 3%, Orange Is The New Black, Rick and Morty, Knights of Sidonia... probably others I've forgotten. Could try The 100 and Ascension when I got the time, I usually like sci-fi, but the couple of first episodes of those didn't really seem that interesting.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Game of Thrones is #1 with me right now, but I've also gotten into this new show called "Salvation". It's about the discovery that an asteroid will be crashing into the Earth in 6 months to destroy it, and a group of people who team up to try and do something about it.

• Upvote 1

I've been starting and stopping a bunch of shows lately.

One was Z Nation, a zombie show which had a mediocre first episode but then started to get better ... but the characters started acting in what were to me silly ways, so I lost interest half a dozen episodes in.  D.J. Qualls is there providing comic relief, and he is always fun, but it was just "meh" to me.

Tried Van Helsing.  Slow start, began picking up a few episode in, but then started indulging itself in the "too cool" vampires excessively, and that kind off baloney just turns me off.  Dropped it about five episodes in.

Tried Fortitude on Amazon.  Slow start and languid pace made it feel like it was going nowhere for the first four episodes, but then it suddenly picked up a lot of steam.  There were horror elements barely hinted at, but they started playing a small but legit part.  The acting is top notch -- Stanley Tucci is really good here -- and the characters, though we never get deep background on them, are all written and acted well enough to be watchable.  I think this will be my next binge watch.

Still loving Game of Thrones, still stuck a few episodes deep into Westworld, and still looking forward to new episodes of Better Call Saul, Ash vs. Evil Dead, and that Drew Barrymore zombie comedy.

• Upvote 1

On 25/07/2017 at 7:21 AM, Dingfelder said:

Going to start Westworld after I'm done with season 7 of Game of Thrones.

Westworld is exceptional. Also, having watched it on an episode-per-week basis, can confirm that it would be the perfect show to binge-watch as one huge movie. Actually, it would be better that way so you don't forget the subtler plot points early on that turn out to be important later.

It's up there as one of the best 10 hours of tv I"v ever see. Clawing the walls right now waiting for season 2!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Westworld is exceptional. Also, having watched it on an episode-per-week basis, can confirm that it would be the perfect show to binge-watch as one huge movie. Actually, it would be better that way so you don't forget the subtler plot points early on that turn out to be important later.

It's up there as one of the best 10 hours of tv I"v ever see. Clawing the walls right now waiting for season 2!

That kind of rave review is pretty much what I've heard about it.  I do hope there is someone I can like a little bit as the show progresses.  There are more bad and near-bad guys than anything else.

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

That kind of rave review is pretty much what I've heard about it.  I do hope there is someone I can like a little bit as the show progresses.  There are more bad and near-bad guys than anything else.

Many twists and turns, people you think were bad but actually aren't and vice versa. 

It's definitely a show you've got to to concentrate on, otherwise you'll miss important bits. But it's worth the investment. Felt a bit down actually after it finished.....very similar to finishing a novel you love (always a good sign). You probably have SOME idea of what it's about but if you don't you could always watch the 70s movie that it's based on. Think: Jurassic Park meets Blade Runner meets every western ever. ?

Anthony Hopkins is so goddamn good.

Edited by Paddylaz

A video on how great Hopkins is in the show is what got me wanting to watch it, actually.  

I did see the original, several times as a kid and once again in the last year, I think.  It's still good fun.  And it's hard to beat Yul Brynner for charisma.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Game of Thrones season 7 is over already?  What the heck??? :blink:  It just only started last month???  Only seven episodes?  Ack Ima gonna dieeeeee... such a long wait for this season, and they only gave us seven episodes... noooOooooOOooOOOOOOoooooo.... 

Oh well at least Suits is still killing it this season...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Game of Thrones season 7 is over already?  What the heck??? :blink:  It just only started last month???  Only seven episodes?  Ack Ima gonna dieeeeee... such a long wait for this season, and they only gave us seven episodes... noooOooooOOooOOOOOOoooooo.... 

Oh well at least Suits is still killing it this season...

Well... at least they gave us Daenerys' clothless again in this season finale after awhile :whistling:

Now I'm just wondering when will be Sansa's turn :w00t2:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I recently stayed at a Ramada hotel, and they had this advertisement with this guy who looks just like the Game of Thrones dude.  If you Google search "Game of Thrones guy Wyndham Rewards" you'll see that yeah that's him!  :blink:

wyndhamreward_blueback_icon_thumbnail.jp

Your Right! Hard to be sterotyped playing these two different roles.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Star Trek: Discovery. :w00t2:  Wow, I caught the first two episodes, and it was a blast!  Excellent special effects, some big name stars, Klingons, who could ask for anything more???  I missed a bunch of Enterprise/Star Trek:Enterprise with Scott Bakula when it came out as it was like sticking hot needles into my eyeballs.

This new series looks like it has potential with a hot headed non-Vulcan Vulcan with a dude's name :confused1: (still confused a bit there) at the helm.  Here's hoping they are able to keep the energy up and stories fresh!

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Star Trek: Discovery. :w00t2:  Wow, I caught the first two episodes, and it was a blast!  Excellent special effects, some big name stars, Klingons, who could ask for anything more???  I missed a bunch of Enterprise/Star Trek:Enterprise with Scott Bakula when it came out as it was like sticking hot needles into my eyeballs.

This new series looks like it has potential with a hot headed non-Vulcan Vulcan with a dude's name :confused1: (still confused a bit there) at the helm.  Here's hoping they are able to keep the energy up and stories fresh!

As you can probably guess I've been waiting eagerly for this to come out but the trailers I've seen have so far disappointed and I've held off. The new series looks like it has all the hallmarks of the "new" Trek ala Abrams with the incredibly screwed up Kelvin timeline. All action, Fx and little of the moral substance and deep story traditional trek had. I will probably watch it, as I have all the Abrams movies, but I'm not excited at the prospects and I think a little bit of me will die inside when I do. Hot headed kind of Vulcan. Hmmmm. Hopefully not as bad as watching Spock get it on with Uhura. Really!

Enterprise was actually the last good Trek production. Indeed the first season was a bit painful and the long running Xindi storyline was different from the more eposodic nature of the earlier incarnations but it ended up being really good in the end. I was mortified when they cancelled. That first season really put people off in a big way. If you decide to rewatch Enterprise the just do not watch the final episode. It sucked in a huge way.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 1

Yeah I couldn't get through a few episodes of the first season of Enterprise as the two main characters just put me off for some reason.  Discovery is so far so good.  There are a few WTH moments (what the heck) in there, but overall it's nice to see the series back.  Maybe it's just because all my other favs are on hiatus (Game of Thrones, Suits) that the TV's a bit dry so this show fills the void.  The lady from "The Walking Dead" is alright, but we'll see whether there's much depth to her as she doesn't seem like an experienced actress.

I think they are really trying to appeal to the Chinese viewers out there?  Hiring Michelle Yeoh and naming the ship USS Shenzhou?  :confused1:  Anyways, it's worth a watch.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched all the episodes of The Orville.  While it isn't too bad, it's a little strange mix of comedy and sci-fi mixed with some interesting ethical questions.  The production values are pretty impressive though.  They've got top notch sets and special effects.

Just started watching "The Good Doctor" by the same people that brought us "House MD."  It's okay so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I watched all the episodes of The Orville.  While it isn't too bad, it's a little strange mix of comedy and sci-fi mixed with some interesting ethical questions.  The production values are pretty impressive though.  They've got top notch sets and special effects.

Just started watching "The Good Doctor" by the same people that brought us "House MD."  It's okay so far.

My wife and I have been watching this show. I'm still a little undecided, mostly because of the corny comedy. But my wife really likes it because it reminds her of the original series (my favorite too) where they also had ethical questions addressed during many of the episodes.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 2:51 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Resurrecting this post. So what did you think now the season has come to an end? I watched the finale last night.

My impression is that it is better than I thought. I don't think it is up there with Next Generation or Voyager but worthy of the Star Trek name and pleased it had substance and ethical undertones to the stories, unlike the Abrams reboots which are basically just an action fest to appeal to those with ADD.

As a technical Trekkie I found some of it difficult to run with. The Spore Hub Drive just seems a bit too convenient. Warp tech is theoretically possible but this spore drive is a bit out there and I know of no reference to it in any other Trek series (especially Voyager where it would have been so useful) so it isn't really following cannon. Such powerful drive technology would surely have at least been mentioned in the future, even if it were outlawed due to the human navigator component. I also have trouble with the modern looking ship given that this was pre-Kirk. They did a great job in Enterprise of making the ship look less technical than Kirk's era but still palatable for modern TV. I also didn't like the reboot of the Klingon look. It is what it is.

The main running storyline was cool although I would have prefered the episodes to have had more of a conclusion each time. It seemed more like one long running story in most cases.

Overall 7.5 out of 10. A better start to a series than Enterprise had although Enterprise thoroughly redeemed itself by season 3. I'm glad Discovery season 2 has been authorized. It'll be interesting to see where they take it now the Spore Drive is out of commission and the Klingon story has reached a conclusion.

• Like 1

Overall I like the energy and pacing of the new series.  I originally didn't like the Next Generation as it took a while to catch on for me.  The self-righteousness was sometimes a little over the top with some of the characters, and they were a little difficult to relate to while others were just a little annoying. Wesley - where did you beam down from?  ST:D (hmm that's not a good abbreviation :unsure:) is different and unconventional yet it sticks with traditional themes about the good that people stand for even in dire times. 

The Lorca plot twist was a little difficult to work through along with Tyler's dual persona issues.  Even before the end of the finale I kept wondering what time frame the show is set in as it's not overtly obvious.  Of course, you can't go back to the static screens and colourful push-buttons of the original series.  Making "high-tech" look dated is a fine line as people always want to see something different and innovative.  The ship is just so cool and different!  They may have been a little too generous with the creative allowances given to the special effects crew, but they really have outdone themselves.  I love how the ship does a spin and drops out of space to reappear in the next location.  

The convenient all in one story per episode is nice and tidy, but I think they were wise to choose the extended story arch which allows them to flesh out characters and add more depth into the series.  It also makes you look forward to the next episode to see what happens!  Each has enough story progression to keep you interested and see a complete part of the storyline, but it leaves just enough questions to make you want more.

It's also nice to see them push the boundaries a little here and there.  It may not fit perfectly into the exact Star Trek universe, but it's refreshing enough that you don't feel like they are repeating themselves like what the new Star Wars movies seem to have been diluted to.

• Like 1