What Are Your Favorite TV shows?

Me too

Maried with children (laughting a lot)

Malcom in the middle (:lol: good very good)

EARL my name is earl (i love very funny)

xfiles 

GAME OF THRONE (pffffffffffffffffffffffffff excellent)

WALKING DEAD (saw yesterday S7 E1 pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff excellent & hard)

DEXTER

SIX FEETS UNDER

2 HBO VERY GOODS TV SHOW

Edited by jojo33
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

You guys should check out Suits and the Sherlock Holmes series with Benedict Cumberbatch.  The level of script writing of both are excellent.  Shameless is also another guilty pleasure of mine...

I've tried... almost Whole first season of each -  both Shameless (UK) and Shamless (US), Suits and Sherlock. Didn't catch on...

:o That's interesting.  Have you seen The Walking Dead?  How about House MD?  Dexter?  24?  

Then again people love Mad Men, but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes.  It just didn't catch on for me for some reason.  Maybe I'll have to revisit it again.

• Upvote 1

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Even though I don't like TV-shows that much, I try at least some of them to see if they are watchable for me. So yep, all those popular shows, House MD and TWD and 24 were given a chance. Dexter was watchable enough but got pretty boring after some episodes into second season..

The world would be a boring place if we were all the same ;)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Then again people love Mad Men, but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes....

Mad Men is an exception. I just love the style of 60s and those gorgeous ladies! Wish it was more of that now...

I liked the women (January Jones?  :wub:) and the style, but I didn't think much of that Draper guy.  Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance...  I'll have to return to it again some time...  It took a while for me to start liking House MD so maybe I'm just slow on the draw.  :lol:

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

Two series I'm both expecting and dreading (neither has come out so far): the series-adaptation of Stephen King's "magnum opus" The Dark Tower -series, although it might also be a movie (the details have changed over the years so many times, that I don't know anymore):

A live-action adaptation was announced in September 2010, consisting of alternating feature films and television series. The project was reportedly cancelled in July 2011,[3] but in October 2011, it was announced that the film was still on track, and that the television series was slated to air on HBO.[4]

On March 13, 2012, it was reported that Warner Bros. Pictures was interested in making at least the first film, and would be in prime position to green-light the TV element through its sister company, HBO. Javier Bardemwas originally set to play Roland, but the role was subsequently offered to Russell Crowe.[5] Initial reports indicated filming was going to commence as early as the first quarter of 2013.[6] Warner Bros. has since passed on the project, but Media Rights Capital has picked up and has commenced production on a film adaptation that is currently scheduled for release in February 2017 with Idris Elba as the lead character.[7]

I'm interested to see what the end result will be, but at the same time afraid it's going to destroy the image how I've imagined the characters and places irrevocably :P  Plus since the "core" of the Dark Tower -series spans 7 books with something like 4000+ pages, turning it into a (single) movie is bound to cut out a lot of the happenings.

Another one is Dan Simmons's Hyperion-series:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/06/syfy-to-adapt-and-film-dan-simmons-hyperion-as-an-event-series/

If you like reading and sci-fi (and horror and western and whatever else in case of The Dark Tower), I suggest both series, they are among, if not the best books I've ever read.

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Westworld has been turning out better than I expected.  I just rewatched the original movie, and it was pretty campy.  Still good though - Yul Brenner and those silvery eyes looked so robot-like.  It was beyond it's time way back when.

Anyone watching Designated Survivor?  The Mission was good, but the last scene at the airport with the coffin seemed a bit forced and artificial.

On ‎18‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 9:29 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Westworld has been turning out better than I expected. ..

Looks good. I've seen the first episode to see if it's any good. I'll wait till the end of the season so I can watch the whole thing.

Westworld (and Futureworld) are still good movies despite their age.

Edited by Vik's
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't going to add anything here, but I noticed no one has mentioned:

The Tyrant.  Well written, great plot good twists, very believable.  Shows how, even with the best intentions, you can make thingss worse than they were.  Kinda like when me and @esaj get into a discussion.  I always end up looking like an idiot. ? Its hard to have a battle of wits When I only show up half armed.?

there's  a prequel to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.  It's ok. But it drags.  Each episode doesn't seem to be advance the plot enough.

there's  a prequel to The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead.  It's starting to piss me off.  Mostly the script writing.  Poorly writing the characters into dangerous situations when a little more thought would get them to the same place in a much more believable manner.

Billions.  Billionaire hedge fund manager chased by Securities and Exchange Commission, and Feds( I believe,  it's between series's right now)  extremely well written.  Great acting.

Elementary. Modern day Sherlock Holmes and Watson (Lucy Lu) that got your attention, assist New York cops solve crimes.  Very enjoyable 

The 100. Trouble making kids from a space colony, sent back to earth to, a)preserve the dwindling air food and water on the ship, and b.. see if the surface is still radioactive.  Very well written, good watching.

Ray Donovan. Tough guy from Boston with typical Bostonian working class Irish roots, makes a living amongst the rich and powerful in LA as a fixer of problems.  VERY GOOD.  Every episode, every season

Blind Spot. A bit silly but enjoyable.  Naked ( and very fit) woman, found in a Jim bag, in New York.  Covered head to foot in tattoos.  Total amnesia.  She and her tattoos help FBI solve crimes.  A good romp this one. Not to be taken too seriously  

Dark Matter. A surprising gem compared to  the mostly poor drivel farmed out by UK SKY Tv's SyFi channel.  Comes from USA.  Crew of space ship wake from stasis to discover they all have amnesia.  Rest of the show is about discovering who they were, who they want to be now, and other stuff they get into.  Very entertaining.

Humans.  British Tv's.  Humanoid servants in a near future world, take meaningless jobs.  Some humans resent them for this.   but some are gaining human-like consciousness.  I'll leave it at that.  Very good. And some of the femal humanoids are very sexy.  But they are good actresses too.

the Last Ship.  Humanity is almost destroyed by a plague.  A US navy ship with British (yeah!!) scientist onboard create the cure.  Rest of show is about getting it to everyone and fighting those with ulterior motives.  Well written, good acting, interesting dilemmas to be faced.

Gotham.  Millionaire Bruce Wayne's town before he became bat man.  Don't look for the transition to batman, it may never happen, but this world is full of interesting characters and story lines.  A guilty pleasure

Poldark. BBC. The comings and going of a 19th century landed, but poor, gentry man and his, from the gutters, wife.  Great scenes of the Cornish coast (UK) very rugged and beautiful.  Smuggling, ship wrecking, you name it.  A good period piece, for those who can't get into the stuffy world of Downton Abbey.

Downton Abbey.  I didn't watch this, but every time I was forced to watch an episode I found it interesting.  The life of a very wealthy English family and the MASSIVE house they live in ( it's real btw, Highclere Castle, and open to the public) through the ages including ( I believe) both world wars. A classic period piece from the people who do them best ( in the English speaking world at least)

Vikings.  By the History Channel.  Here's one for you Scandinavia/Nordic types.  A forward looking Viking farmer/warrior looks further than simply raiding the same old neighbors year after year.  Finds himself in England and starts raiding there (Boo, Hiss).  But he still has visions beyond senseless killing and pillaging.  Almost factual story line, good watching.  Muted colours of the whole series a bit depressing though.

Homeland.  Absolutely brilliant adaptation of original isralie show.  US Marine POW discovered in hole in Afghanistan 4 years after going missing in Iraq.  Fascinating journey back to his civilisation, and many plot turns.  This is absolutely a must see.

Bletchley Circle.  A group of femal code breakers from WW2 put their skills to use solving crimes in post war Britain.  Very enjoyable, and borrowing from the fascinating, real work of cryptanalysis, logic, and computer science, carried out at Bletchley Park, England's ultra secret code breaking facility where a lot of what we take for granted in computing today, came from. People like Alan Turing worked there he is " widely considered to be the farther of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence " and " it has been estimated that this work shortened the war in Europe by two years and saved over fourteen million lives" (Wikipedia)

A sad side note. Turing was homosexual. In1952 he was prosecuted for gross indecency because homosexuality was still a crime, and accepted chemical castratiion as an alternative to prison. Because of the British Official Secrets Act, his magnificent work to end the war early was not known until 50 years later( I believe ) when the act expired,Two years after his prosecution and public humiliation,  in 1954 he committed suicide by cyanide.  He was granted a posthumous pardon by Queen Elizabeth in 2013. He was only 41 when he died.  What a loss to the world, but I digress.

on a lighter note..

Limitless. A fun, charming story about a man who can't die, and his escapades as a pathologist in modern day New York City. Sadly, it was cancelled after a few seasons.  I really liked it.

Ripper Street. Set in Victorian London, just after Jack the Ripper has stopped killing.  An educated and sensitive police inspector rifles through the gritty crimes in his area, while trying to come to terms with the loss of his young daughter and the subsequent destruction of his marriage.  Good acting, good story lines, colourful rogue American pseudo pathologist and his whore-house  madam partner add colour and drama.  A good watch.

The Knick. Set in a fictitious New York Hospital at the end of the 19th century.  The Knick, short for Knickerbocker, " loose fitting breeches gathered at the knee or calf", which is the root of the English word knickers, and also the New York Knicks basketball team. Is loosely based on the pioneering work performed at John  Hopkins Hospital ( which is actually in Baltimore Maryland, a state named after queen Mary of England,after It was settled by John Cabit  and others in 1498) by Dr. William Halsted and his team.  Halsted performed the first emergency blood transfusion, and he, like the character that portrays someone like him in the show, was addicted to cocaine and later also to heroine.  He was one of the founders of John Hopkins Hospital.  It's a great show. Many interesting characters. And if you're not into medical stuff there are whores, opium dens, group sex, you name it.  It's quite wild.

im done.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

:shock2:  And I thought I watched a lot of TV <bows in reverence to @Smoother>!

It's challenging watching live TV now due to all the commercials.  You get so used to Netflix, downloads (torrents/newsgroups), or streaming that you take for granted the omitted breaks. :popcorn:   I used to have an old Proscan VCR that would automatically skip the commercials in recorded programs.  It was the best thing since sliced bread back then.  :wub:

Anyone catch "The Detour" series?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  And I thought I watched a lot of TV <bows in reverence to @Smoother>!

It's challenging watching live TV now due to all the commercials.  You get so used to Netflix, downloads (torrents/newsgroups), or streaming that you take for granted the omitted breaks. :popcorn:   I used to have an old Proscan VCR that would automatically skip the commercials in recorded programs.  It was the best thing since sliced bread back then.  :wub:

Anyone catch "The Detour" series?

Sadly, that's not ALL I watch, just some worthy metions, off the top of my head, that others hadn't. Watching Tv's is cheap, safe, and easy.  There have been many a dark , cold rainy event in my life, when I wished  I was home, safe and warm watching TV with my feet up.

commercials, yeah, mostly annoying but the shows have to be paid for somehow.  I got my first DVR IN 1999. replayTV.  After that, it was a rare day I watched commercials, but I still enjoy creative or funny ones, like this one.

the Detour? Synopsis?

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

Mine so far as long as I can remember are:

• Game of Thrones
  • The Walking Dead
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • The Flash (Original Version better)
  • Arrow
  • Humans
  • Marco Polo
  • Stalker (Just to see Maggie Q actually... :P)
  • Heroes (First Session)
  • Prison Break (First Session)
  • Spartacus
  • MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson's Version)
  • Knight Rider (David Hasselhoff's Version)
  • Baywatch :wub:
  • Supernatural
  • Black Sails
  • Revenge
  • Vikings
  • Falling Skies
  • Friends
  • Nikita (Maggie Q again... :P)
  • Fringe
  • Mission Impossible
  • Doraemon!!! :lol:
  • Touch (Too bad there was only one session)

Will update if I remember more...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

Sadly, that's not ALL I watch, just some worthy metions, off the top of my head, that others hadn't. Watching Tv's is cheap, safe, and easy.  There have been many a dark , cold rainy event in my life, when I wished  I was home, safe and warm watching TV with my feet up.

commercials, yeah, mostly annoying but the shows have to be paid for somehow.  I got my first DVR IN 1999. replayTV.  After that, it was a rare day I watched commercials, but I still enjoy creative or funny ones, like this one.

the Detour? Synopsis?

The Detour is about a family that goes on a road trip, but there's a hidden agenda and mystery involved.  I thought it was twisted and funny.  It might not be for everyone as it's pretty politically incorrect in some ways, but it's very humourous.  It's sort of like those National Lampoon "Vacation" movies with Chevy Chase.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that "Westworld" is done, and there's a painfully long wait for the next "Walking Dead" episode, I've begun watching "The Grand Tour."  Anyone else been catching it?  I guess since Jeremy Clarkson got fired from "Top Gear," they made a new show with James May and Richard Hammond.  The premier was pretty good despite some weird, brief appearances from Jeremy Renner and Armie Hammer.

Designated Survivor has also been a fairly good show, but it's been a little unbelievable lately with the FBI head guy getting in trouble...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
Arnie -> Armie
  • Upvote 1