EUC longevity

Pingouin

2 hours ago, Shoe73 said:

Sounds like you don't have enough pressure in the tire, is that possible? I know it is more comfortable to ride with lower pressure but that used to happen to me on a mountain  bike when I didn't keep the rated pressure in the tube. It would slip a little against the tube and wear.

Normally i have enough pressure. Maybe sometimes if the air escapes gradually, i may be getting to the point where the oressure is lower and not noticing. I think maybe because i am 100kg, even with normal pressure the tire is more deformed under me and that somehow is making it rub against the tube or something. Its a mystery why but my tubes always pop....i basically decided that i must have crossed the unicycle gods and they are having revenge,

15 hours ago, Cloud said:

however, one isolated incident is hardly the statistics, so if i start posting specifics and the particular brand, it will make an impression, in the eyes of many, that the brand cannot be trusted or that incidents like this are common, which they may not be.

I understand the problem with statistics, but you posted the isolated incident anyway and now the exact same point can be made for shaft failure: Your post will make an impression, in the eyes of many, that [a shaft] cannot be trusted or that incidents like this are common, which they may not be. Nevertheless you draw from the single event the conclusion that aparently where the rider's weight is substantial, and a lot of miles ridden, one should be careful putting added loading on the shaft.

If you believe that knowledge about single events lead more likely to wrong decisions, I wonder why you made a post of a single event in the first place. If you believe that knowledge about single events lead more likely to better decisions (as I do, mainly because we can account for the number of case reports seen), then providing the full information will make the decisions better informed. Then, leaving out brand information means you are prioritizing the interests of a brand over the interests of the forum members or the consumers in general.

This is even more problematic in this case, because shaft failures are a safety issue. 

The only way to find out if something is an isolated incident is to share the information with others and find out if they have the same problem. The sales of most EUCs aren't large enough to have solid statistical data. 

4 hours ago, Niko said:

now the exact same point can be made for shaft failure: Your post will make an impression, in the eyes of many, that [a shaft] cannot be trusted or that incidents like this are common, which they may not be.

I agree with your logic above. Buy it doesnt hurt to be more careful, its better to be careful than to be sorry. Yes it is possible that a shaft used by a different brand is more solid than the shaft used by the brand in question. It is also possible that the motor manufacturer supplies motors to many different brands, or that a different motor manufacturer makes the shafts even more unsafe - based on the limited info we have, it's not clear if riders should be careful riding other eucs. If the riders are aware of this issue they can be careful in general, which, in my opinion is a better scenario, than if i didnt post at all and people would be totally unaware. Based on such limited data, posting a brand can do as much or more harm than not posting it - readers may assume the problem is isolated to this particular brand while it is very likely that it is not. 

4 hours ago, Niko said:

If you believe that knowledge about single events lead more likely to wrong decisions, I wonder why you made a post of a single event in the first place. If you believe that knowledge about single events lead more likely to better decisions (as I do, mainly because we can account for the number of case reports seen), then providing the full information will make the decisions better informed. Then, leaving out brand information means you are prioritizing the interests of a brand over the interests of the forum members or the consumers in general. This is even more problematic in this case, because shaft failures are a safety issue. 

I made a post to make rider aware, so they dont ride in a way that could potentially facilitate this condition.  I believe posting a single event can lead to better decisions but i dont believe the ALL of the info about the single event will lead to better decisions. Certain info, however thruthful, can mislead the reader. Based on the info I have and what happened, i believe that in the best interest of the forum members and the cosumers is to only have the info I provided which, i still believe, makes riding more safe, as opposed to my not posting at all. I dont think anyone would argue that riding in a way that puts more loading on the shaft, and consequently, the bearing, or riding in a way that causes extra vibrations to the entire unit, or simply riding unaware that this tyoe of issues can occur is a better scenario.

there are not that many brands out there - often times people choose between 2 or 3. This isolated incident, if brand posted, can cause someone to choose a different brand, which, right now, is as likely to potential have the same issue, or can even be more likely to. So this info can cause harm. In other words, in my opinion, this isolated incident does not in any way speak of a flaw characteristic of the particular brand, while posting the brand will for sure make an impression that it does, and as such can cause more harm.  What i can do is try to research the issue more and when more precise info is available, i can share at the point when more informed conclusions can be made.

what i can say is, to provide some additional info, the shaft didnt just break off - it develooed a crack going thru its section right at the exterior of the bearing, over 10-20 minutes time. The crack was growing and the symptoms that one can use to diagnose this condition is that , because as the crack developed, the shaft bent more and more, the base of the pedal started scratching over the motor cover. So hopefully one will have time to diagnose this before break off.

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

The only way to find out if something is an isolated incident is to share the information with others and find out if they have the same problem. The sales of most EUCs aren't large enough to enough solid statistical data. 

if others had similar experience, they will post. Or not. My post is not holding anyone up from posting their own experien e about the same problem.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

I made a post to make rider aware, so they dont ride in a way that could potentially facilitate this condition. 

You should be aware that this is not possible in general. By withholding the information you do put other riders in danger. You also obstruct the procedure to find the actual reasons for this safety issue. 

12 minutes ago, Niko said:

You should be aware that this is not possible in general. By withholding the information you do put other riders in danger. You also obstruct the procedure to find the actual reasons for this safety issue. 

I dont agree with this. Its possible to limit the loading of the shaft by the riders in general. In my opinion, communicating this specific info will not increase safety and can cause undue harm. Besides, the problem was reported to manufacturer and distributor. 

44 minutes ago, Cloud said:

communicating this specific info will not increase safety and can cause undue harm

Interesting. Did it harm you? If yes, how so? If no, are you suggesting you are smarter than us to understand this information?

I insist that withholding relevant information on safety issues is a no-go. To say that communicating the wheel with which an incident occurred is irrelevant or harmful is slightly absurd.

25 minutes ago, Niko said:

Interesting. Did it harm you? If yes, how so? If no, are you suggesting you are smarter than us to understand this information?

I insist that withholding relevant information on safety issues is a no-go. To say that communicating the wheel with which an incident occurred is irrelevant or harmful is slightly absurd.

Dont twist my words. Such speculation about my intentions is ungrounded -  Nothing i said would imply that i consider myself smarter than anybody else. If the tables were turned, and i would be the reader of someone else posting, id be just as likely to be inadvertently mislead as anyone else.

You can insist on whatever you want, and i insist that i have the right to communicate what i consider to be the right thing. I chose to post about this but now i am beginning to regret that i did.

Please don't fight on this..

I think it's always interesting to have a report of parts that fails, but they shouldn't be taken as a common failure if not reported by dozens. Like said above, it's hard to have really reliable information or statistics on EUC because there aren't that many (except in china maybe)

14 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Please don't fight on this..

I think it's always interesting to have a report of parts that fails, but they shouldn't be taken as a common failure if not reported by dozens. Like said above, it's hard to have really reliable information or statistics on EUC because there aren't that many (except in china maybe)

I agree. And in many cases i have shared specific info on many issues, and i love to read other people's reports, it is very interesting. Yes, not enough statistics, but unfortunately, i have seen way too often how an isolated report is perceived by many as an indication that a particular brand is not safe or not to be trusted. If i was reading someone else's account of similar incident, id also be asking him to share the brand/ model info with me so i can go ahead and make a judgement. But i would certainly understand, if the person chose to only share partial info, for whatever reason he may have.

i got GW mcm v3, 2 months later Ninebot E+ and by end of the year/ early next year MSuper is my top pick. After that maybe every 2 years... I will deny myself of other potential toys, but this thing is transportation, fun, wow factor etc.

On 6/19/2016 at 9:53 PM, Cloud said:

Dont twist my words. Such speculation about my intentions is ungrounded -  Nothing i said would imply that i consider myself smarter than anybody else. If the tables were turned, and i would be the reader of someone else posting, id be just as likely to be inadvertently mislead as anyone else.

My point is that you do have this information, that is, you are "mislead" by this information at this point in time. So the question remains: what is the harm produced by you having this information? And if you having this information did not produce harm, why would it for others?

You can insist on whatever you want, and i insist that i have the right to communicate what i consider to be the right thing.

I never said otherwise. And I agree, you do have this right and you should have this right to withhold (almost) any information. 

I am only saying that exercising your right is hindering to make this world a safer place for others. 

I am only saying that exercising your right makes you complicit in the often seen obstructive information policy of manufacturers at the expense of the customers. 

I chose to post about this but now i am beginning to regret that i did.

I am sorry for that. You are unfortunately right, it does make you look like you would not respect the forum member's abilities for rationale decision making.

@Niko, while i do enjoy a healthy back and forth as well as the battles of logic, this conversation has gone beyond that, and as such, is no longer constructive. So i am going to withdraw myself from it. Our difference of opinion cannot be reconciled. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:17 PM, TremF said:

I could come home the longer and more scenic 5.5 mile route then do the extra mile to pick my youngest daughter up from school.

How do you pick up your daughter from school using a EUC? Is she very young and you carry her on the EUC? Does she ride a EUC and you ride a EUC?

19 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

How do you pick up your daughter from school using a EUC? Is she very young and you carry her on the EUC? Does she ride a EUC and you ride a EUC?

When I pick her up I ride the EUC to the school and she walks beside me on the way home. The reason I ride is because of issues with my back and legs. Walking hurts so I ride as much as possible (it's like a mobility scooter for me but cooler). She doesn't mind - in fact she thinks it's cool and if ever I turn up without it she says I should have taken it hehe

I may train my girls to ride my old Ninebot and then they can take turns with it.

1 hour ago, TremF said:

When I pick her up I ride the EUC to the school and she walks beside me on the way home. The reason I ride is because of issues with my back and legs. Walking hurts so I ride as much as possible (it's like a mobility scooter for me but cooler). She doesn't mind - in fact she thinks it's cool and if ever I turn up without it she says I should have taken it hehe

Oh, yes, that's cool! Thank you for explaining!

Maybe eventually she gets a EUC and you can post some of your rides like djquestionthis and his daughter

29 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Oh, yes, that's cool! Thank you for explaining!

Maybe eventually she gets a EUC and you can post some of your rides like djquestionthis and his daughter

I have two daughters. The other is already in high school. This one goes up in September and as they will be getting the bus to and from school I won't need to pick them up.

I do have my old Ninebot. I am thinking of taking them somewhere dry with short grass so they can practice riding it and take turns going out for rides on it. :) 

There will be no competition though as my ACM is much faster than the Ninebot hehe

• 3 weeks later...

I come back to you because I'm still wondering, how many km I can expect out of my EUC, I'm starting to worry about it because I have already done almost 600km in less than a mounth, and with this rythm, I would reach more than 5000km per year, has anyone done more than like 10k km on the same wheel ?

I don't think anyone knows the answer. EUCs haven't been around long enough to get enough data. They are evolving in quality pretty quickly as well, so data from last year's model may not apply to this year's. I've just crossed 2000km after 14 months so you're on a blazing pace! 

Tires and tubes will wear out but can be replaced. The electronics should be able to last a long time, I have computers that still work fine after 7 or 8 years. The batteries will degrade over time and multiple charge cycles but I think that's a gradual thing. The axle and bearings are the only other significant moving parts, I am surprised we haven't heard about more people needing to rebuild them. I would expect that if the bearings were going bad you'd feel more resistance, noise, and/or play when spinning the wheel by hand.

Like @dmethvin said, there is only a handful of different components in an euc. A bunch of them will need to get replaced over 10k km range, like batteries. I actually remember posts here about bearing replacements. Shafts are not that susceptable as liuckily they are the stationary parts of the wheel, however they still have to hold the rider's weight. The casing can last a long time as normally there isnt much load on it. The longevity will come down to the connections - how different pieces are connected and can work well together and not wear out. Also attachments of the magnets circling around the central core, tires and tubes dont count - ive already replaced about 10-15 of them over 4000 km. Pedals may fail . 

I guess the answer is that over 10,000 kmh, some parts will need to be replaced. All depends on how long one will be willing to keep replacing them :) cars can ride 500,000 miles too, if we keep repairing them and replacing parts:) 

so the question is, when we say euc longevity, do we mean the motor/wheel longevity? 

Archived