Runaway unicycle solutions brainstorming

KaleOsaurusRex

This is pretty much true. If you're riding near others, the runaway unicycle problem really shouldn't be an issue because you're already well proficient. It's just good to know it can happen :)

At this point, offtopic, I think the worse issue is all the first generation unicycles out there without the shunt modification. And they're still being sold! My generic 14" and Airwheel X8 are unmodified and have both shut down without warning causing injury, I'm assuming due to voltage drop. That's why I'm using the leash in public until I upgrade or at least do that mod.

• 5 weeks later...

I used to have a leash attached to my belt, however the leash was the reason that I fell down hefty, for the one and only time (though taking abrasions only). I got entangled in the leash while trying to run it off. I don't use it anymore, for the time being.

i don't even have an EU yet but i was worried about this as well.

My idea was to get a dog's leash first, a nice spiked one, and give him one of those dog's vest with the text "K-9" on it or something :)

Jokes aside, how about making the handle "pull"-sensitive?  When riding you don't usually touch the handle, so pulling the handle could work as some kind of "brake".  Since when carrying it you don't want it to ride, and when you fall off or what not, with the pressure from a leash pulling it, it would just stop?

When i have an EU i'll be crossing a bridge daily, this bridge crosses the highway, i can only imagine the damage done if an EU would roll off and end up on the highway.... 

Bwuce Wee

My treadmill has a small tab that must be inserted into the machine for it to 'go'.  You tie the string on the tab onto your clothing, or clip it on or something.  When you fall, the tab pulls out and the treadmill stops.  

Wait, don't we have another thread somewhere about EUC's shutting off unexpectedly and endangering the rider?  :)  Careful what you wish for, I think. 

I used to have a leash attached to my belt, however the leash was the reason that I fell down hefty, for the one and only time (though taking abrasions only). I got entangled in the leash while trying to run it off. I don't use it anymore, for the time being.

i used a soft belt und just put one end in my pocket - thats enough to stop the euc, but the belt/leash has the chance to get loose, or you just grab it while unmounting. And you habe your hands free while riding.

I am surprised that they never put in a kill switch like they do for jet skis, you jump off and the cord yanks the key out, instant shutdown...

I like this idea. You could strap the kill switch cord around your ankle. If you plan on doing extreme riding and jumping, then you could choose not to use the kill switch and turn it off.

you have to jump back off ue, not jump in front of it, that is just stupid, it will continue forward into you....

you have to jump back off ue, not jump in front of it, that is just stupid, it will continue forward into you....

I disagree. To be frank I am not even sure if jumping backwards is a good idea at all. At moderate and higher speeds it would be very difficult to jump backwards, due to the kinetic energy. And with 1/2 mv^2 still valid for the speed of euc's (maybe with the exception of @vee73 ?) it is even more difficult for the heavy lads, such as myself.

And even at a lower speed, I believe jumping backwards is increasing the chances for severe injuries to occur. I only have limited experience riding my euc backwards. However, stepping off a reversing euc astern feels more dangerous and leaves, at least me, with less control over the process. If that makes any sense to you.

On 7/24/2015 at 11:24 PM, MetricUSA said:

you have to jump back off

It depends entirely on the specific driving situation. Sometimes the EUC is behind me after I am off, sometimes it is in front of me. In this case it was in front of me, IIRC, so, if you like, I did "jump back off". But it's not so much jumping, it's more stepping under ones own center of gravitation, where the EUC was supposed to be, but isn't anymore. 

And thanks for calling my actions stupid (without even knowing what happened).

On 7/24/2015 at 8:35 PM, Chriull said:

i used a soft belt und just put one end in my pocket - thats enough to stop the euc, but the belt/leash has the chance to get loose, or you just grab it while unmounting. And you habe your hands free while riding.

interesting approach, sounds like a good compromise. Means "used" that you don't use it anymore?

On 6/22/2015 at 1:25 AM, esaj said:

[...] Cutting the power from the wheel may or may not be enough, as the turning tire can keep the wheel upright for surpisingly long. Thinking about self deceleration, it might work, but not because it actually decelerates, but because the shell will tilt and hit the ground as there's no weight on the pedals to stop it... :P 

Seems like a deja vu: never cut the power while moving. Always, always, always bring the wheel to a halt first (referring to the controller, not the driver). In which case there is no need to cut power anymore anyway :-) 

interesting approach, sounds like a good compromise. Means "used" that you don't use it anymore?

I used this method when i learned on my brothers ninebot - mine just arrived after loooooooooong waiting and once my back is ok again (hopefully tomorrow ?) i will use the soft belt again. Imho its great - it does not disturb and works fine for me

Here is nice run-away video segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th-XotIrgjg&t=2m18s

Surely makes me think about some kind of leash when doing a hilly road. However, I am also hesitant since if you fall a leash may make it much worse to catch yourself :(

Nice video. Off-topic: some of the falls seem to be connected to a failure of the wheel: For example at 1:19, 1:33, the wheel seems to stop stabilizing after a jump. 

Nice video. Off-topic: some of the falls seem to be connected to a failure of the wheel: For example at 1:19, 1:33, the wheel seems to stop stabilizing after a jump. 

Both of my wheels shut down the motor if the tire can run "free", ie. it reaches the maximum speed where the motor is cut off fast. Something to keep in mind especially if doing high jumps, as if the wheel is even slightly tilted to forwards or backwards, without resistance the motor can reach the cut-off rpm very quickly.

Edit: From the video comments: "Not as fun to watch but this is the kind of stuff I can relate to. I don't wear a helmet or knee pads but I always wear padded gloves. My hands usually take the worst of it except the one time it was my front teeth." <-- Exactly why I use full-face helmet...

On 7/26/2015 at 1:30 PM, esaj said:

Both of my wheels shut down the motor if the tire can run "free", ie. it reaches the maximum speed where the motor is cut off fast. Something to keep in mind especially if doing high jumps, as if the wheel is even slightly tilted to forwards or backwards, without resistance the motor can reach the cut-off rpm very quickly.

I doubt this is the reason here, in particular for the first at 1:18. In any case, it would be another reason to rather slow down the wheel when no weight is applied to it. 

On 7/26/2015 at 1:30 PM, esaj said:

Edit: From the video comments: "Not as fun to watch but this is the kind of stuff I can relate to. I don't wear a helmet or knee pads but I always wear padded gloves. My hands usually take the worst of it except the one time it was my front teeth." <-- Exactly why I use full-face helmet...

One could use a mouthguard, which seems a requirement in many sports nowadays (boxing, hockey, american football...) and is recommended for inline skating and skateboarding as well.

EDIT: http://www.banggood.com/buy/Mouthguard.html, pretty cool invention: small, simple, cheap, but yet quite an effective protection.

Archived